GK Current Affairs Quiz 31th October 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. Instantly obtain Latest Daily Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 31 October 2019 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation.
GK or General Awareness section can be the easiest section in all government, banking, SSC, railways exams when followed regularly. Aspirants of competitive exams such as IBPS, UPSC, SSC, SSC CPO, SSC CGL, Bank PO, Bank Clerk, IBPS, Railways, Government Jobs, UPPSC, MPSC, APPSC, TSPSC, SI, Constables etc can refer to the general knowledge questions and answers daily from this series of articles.
Todays GK Current Affairs Quiz 31-10-2019 (Daily) for Banking, UPSC, Railways, RRB NTPC, SSC and All Competitive Exams
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 30th October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 29th October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 28th October 2019
- Weekly GK Current Affairs Quiz October 21st to 27th
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 26th October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 25th October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 24th October 2019
Q. Which of the following mountaineer from Nepal created a new speed record by climbing the world’s 14 highest peaks over 8,000 metres (26,250 feet) in just 189 days?
(a) Ang Rita
(b) Nawang Gombu
(c) Nirmal Purja
(d) Ang Dorje Sherpa
(e) Ang Dorje Sherpa
Answer: (c) Nirmal Purja
Explanation: The mountaineer from Nepal, Nirmal Purja, created a new speed record by climbing the world’s 14 highest peaks over 8,000 metres (26,250 feet) in just 189 days.
Q. The Centre’s first-ever common foundation course ________________ for 2019 batch probationer civil servants has begun at the Statue of Unity in Kevadia, Gujarat.
Answer: (d) Aarambh
Explanation: The Centre’s first-ever common foundation course “Aarambh” (Beginning) for 2019 batch probationer civil servants has begun at the Statue of Unity in Kevadia, Gujarat.
Q. Who is appointed as the new governor of Goa recently?
(a) Banwarilal Purohit
(b) V.P. Singh Badnore
(c) Satya Pal Malik
(d) Mridula Sinha
(e) Droupadi Murmu
Answer: (c) Satya Pal Malik
Explanation: Satya Pal Malik has been transferred and appointed as Governor of Goa, succeeding Mridula Sinha.
Q. Which country’s PM recently resigned after nationwide protests against tax provisions on using WhatsApp and Facebook?
(a) South Africa
Answer: (d) Lebanon
Explanation: Lebanon’s PM Saad Hariri had to resign after mass protest against imposing tax on WhatsApp and Facebook in the country. On October 17, the government announced to impose tax on WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger for sending messages and calls.
Q. The Reserve Bank has imposed a penalty of Rs _________________ on Tamilnad Mercantile Bank for violating norms on fraud classification and notification.
(a) 25 lakh
(b) 35 lakh
(c) 45 lakh
(d) 55 lakh
(e) 65 lakh
Answer: (b) 35 lakh
Explanation: The Reserve Bank has imposed a penalty of Rs 35 lakh on Tamilnad Mercantile Bank for violating norms on fraud classification and notification. It stated that the bank has been penalized for non-compliance with certain provisions of directions issued by RBI on fraud classification and reporting by commercial banks and select FIs directions 2016.
Q. Who among the following is appointed as the 47th Chief Justice of India?
(a) A.M. Khanwilkar
(b) R. Banumathi
(c) Arun Mishra
(d) N.V. Ramana
(e) Sharad Arvind Bobde
Answer: (e) Sharad Arvind Bobde
Explanation: Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde was appointed as the 47th Chief Justice of India. Justice Bobde will take oath as the CJI on November 18th, a day after incumbent Ranjan Gogoi demits office.
Q. Who is appointed as the first Lt. Governor of Jammu and Kashmir recently?
(a) Jagdish Mukhi
(b) P S Sreedharan Pillai
(c) Radha Krishna Mathurv
(d) Girish Chandra Murmu
(e) Satya Pal Malik
Answer: (d) Girish Chandra Murmu
Explanation: Girish Chandra Murmu is appointed as the first Lt. Governor of Jammu and Kashmir.
Q. Odisha inked a Letter of Understanding (LoU) on “drink from tap mission” with ________________.
(a) International Maritime Organization
(b) International Committee of the Red Cross
(c) World Health Organization
Answer: (e) UNICEF
Explanation: Odisha has inked a Letter of Understanding (LoU) on “drink from tap mission” with the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
Q. Who is appointed as the first Lt. Governor of Ladakh recently?
(a) Mridula Sinha
(b) Girish Chandra Murmu
(c) Radha Krishna Mathur
(d) P S Sreedharan Pillai
(e) Satya Pal Malik
Answer: (c) Radha Krishna Mathur
Explanation: Radha Krishna Mathur is appointed as the first Lt. Governor of Ladakh.
Q. When is the World Cities Day observed globally every year?
(a) 28th October
(b) 29th October
(c) 30th October
(d) 31st October
Answer: (d) 31st October
Explanation: The World Cities Day is celebrated every year on October 31, 2019. The celebrations are focussed on the general theme ‘Better City, Better Life’. The theme of 2019 World Cities Day will be “Changing the world: innovations and better life for future generations”.
Q. Which city will host the 2nd Assembly of International Solar Alliance (ISA)?
(b) New Delhi
(d) New York
Answer: (b) New Delhi
Explanation: The 2nd Assembly of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) will be hosted by Ministry of New and Renewable Energy in New Delhi on October 30-31, 2019. The Assembly will be attended by various delegated from the member states and other invitees.
Q. Which category of citizens was recently allowed by the PFRDA to enroll in National Pension Scheme (NPS)?
(a) Overseas Citizens of India
(b) Scheduled Castes & Tribes
(c) Senior Retired Citizens
(d) None of the above
Answer: (a) Overseas Citizens of India
Explanation: The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA) on October 30, 2019 permitted the Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) to enroll in the National Pension Scheme (NPS) at par with the NRIs.
Q. Which country has recently signed an agreement to establish a high level strategic partnership council with India?
(c) Saudi Arabia
Answer: (c) Saudi Arabia
Explanation: The agreement for the establishment of a high-level strategic partnership council was signed between Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi and Prince Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia. A meeting of this council will be held every two years.
Q. Who has been elected as the BJP legislative party leader in Maharashtra?
(a) Devendra Fadnavis
(b) Chandrakant Patil
(c) Uddhav Thackeray
(d) Aaditya Thackeray
Answer: (a) Devendra Fadnavis
Explanation: Devendra Fadnavis has been re-elected unopposed as the leader of BJP state legislative party leader In Maharashtra. The meeting saw participation of all 105 newly-elected BJP MLAs.
Q. India and Saudi Arabia signed how many agreements during PM Narendra Modi’s visit to Saudi Arabia?
Answer: (b) 15
Explanation: India and Saudi Arabia signed 12 MoUs in several areas including for the establishment of a Strategic Partnership Council and to enhance cooperation in security, defence and energy, as well as for the launch of the RuPAY cards.
Q. The US House of Representatives recently recognized the mass extermination of these people, conducted between 1915-1917 as genocide.
Answer: (a) Armenians
Explanation: The US House of Representatives has officially recognized the mass extermination of Armenians by the Ottoman Empire between 1915 and 1917 as genocide. The House supported the resolution by 405-11 votes.
Q. The ICC has imposed a two-year ban on which among the following cricketers for failing to report a corrupt approach?
(a) Steve Smith
(b) Shakib Al Hasan
(c) Rashid Khan
(d) David Warner
Answer: (b) Shakib Al Hasan
Explanation: The ICC has imposed a two-year ban on Bangladesh’s Shakib Al Hasan, with one year suspended, for failing to report a corrupt approach by a bookie.
Q. The International Cricket Council has banned Bangladesh Test and T20 Captain _____________ for 2 years from all forms of cricket.
(a) Tamim Iqbal
(b) Shakib Al Hasan
(c) Mashrafe Mortaza
(d) Mushfiqur Rahim
Answer: (b) Shakib Al Hasan
Explanation: The International Cricket Council has banned Bangladesh Test and T20 Captain Shakib Al Hasan for 2 years from all forms of cricket.
Q. Which of the following Indian men’s doubles pair won the silver medal in the men’s doubles event at French Open?
(a) Eshan Naqvi and Subhankar Dey
(b) K. Dilshad and Jayan James
(c) Sanave Thomas and V. Diju
(d) Manu Attri and B. Sumeeth Reddy
(e) Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy
Answer: (e) Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy
Explanation: Indian men’s doubles pair Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy has won the silver medal in the men’s doubles event at French Open.
Q. Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik launched “Odisha Mo Parivar” (Odisha, My Family) programme. It is a social service initiative aimed at encouraging environment protection, blood donation and the welfare of Odias in distress. Who is the present governor of Odisha.
(a) Tathagata Roy
(b) Arif Mohammed Khan
(c) Bandaru Dattatraya
(d) Ganeshi Lal
(e) Acharya Dev Vrat
Answer: (d) Ganeshi Lal
Explanation: Ganeshi Lal was sworn in as Hon’ble Governor of Odisha on 29th May 2018. He was administered the oath of office by Hon’ble Chief Justice of High Court of Orissa Shri Justice Vineet Saran in a function held at Abhishek Hall of Raj Bhavan.
Q. Which of the following social media site has unveiled a ‘Preventive Health’ tool that connects people to health resources and sends check-up reminders?
Answer: (a) Facebook
Explanation: Facebook has unveiled a ‘Preventive Health’ tool that connects people to health resources and sends check-up reminders. Facebook has launched the tool in the United States.
Q. Who is appointed as the new governor of Mizoram recently?
(a) Mridula Sinha
(b) Girish Chandra Murmu
(c) Bhagat Singh Koshyari
(d) Droupadi Murmu
(e) P S Sreedharan Pillai
Answer: (e) P S Sreedharan Pillai
Explanation: P S Sreedharan Pillai is appointed as the new governor of Mizoram.
Q. Vice President Naidu has unveiled a new charter for parliamentary reforms. The charter comprises how many points?
Answer: (a) 15
Explanation: Vice President Venkaiah Naidu introduced a 15 point charter to improve the functioning of Parliament. According to this, political parties should ensure at least 50% attendance of the members to overcome the issues of lack of quorum.
Q. The Zozo Championship 2019 tournament title was clinched by __________________ which was his 82nd PGA Tour crown.
(a) Walter Hagen
(b) Mickey Wright
(c) Tiger Woods
(d) Patty Berg
(e) Jack Nicklaus
Answer: (c) Tiger Woods
Explanation: The Zozo Championship 2019 tournament title was clinched by America’s Tiger Woods, aged 43, which was his 82nd PGA Tour crown. He sealed a historic three-stroke win to draw level with Sam Snead (America) for the most victories on Tour.
Q. Who among the following wins Mexican Grand Prix 2019?
(a) James Hunt
(b) Fernando Alonso
(c) Sebastian Vettel
(d) Lewis Hamilton
(e) Valtteri Bottas
Answer: (d) Lewis Hamilton
Explanation: Mercedes’ driver and 5-time world champion Lewis Hamilton clinched his 10th win of the season for Mercedes at the Mexican Grand Prix 2019.
Q. Who among the following ranked 6th in the Best-Performing CEOs in the World, 2019′ list compiled by the Harvard Business Review (HBR)?
(a) Shantanu Narayen
(b) Satya Nadella
(c) Piyush Gupta
(d) Jensen Huang
(e) Ajay Banga
Answer: (a) Shantanu Narayen
Explanation: Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen was ranked 6th in Best-Performing CEOs in the World, 2019′ list compiled by the Harvard Business Review (HBR) features 100 CEOs.
Q. __________________ has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Iraq.
(a) Amrit Lugun
(b) Upender Singh Rawat
(c) Godavarthi Venkata Srinivas
(d) Birender Singh Yadav
(e) Pradeep Singh Rajpurohit
Answer: (d) Birender Singh Yadav
Explanation: Birender Singh Yadav has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Iraq.
Q. The Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman has released a special commemorative coin on Paramahansa Yogananda. The coin has been released to mark Paramahansa Yogananda’s _______ birth anniversary.
Answer: (d) 125th
Explanation: The Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman has released a special commemorative coin on Paramahansa Yogananda. The coin has been released to mark Paramahansa Yogananda’s 125th birth anniversary.
Q. Name the India’s oldest Yoga teacher who was honoured with the Padma Shri in January 2019 for her efforts to make people lead a healthy life, passed away recently?
(a) Devki Desai
(b) Deepika Mehta
(d) Abhijata Sridhar Iyengar
(e) Fharzana Siraj
Answer: (c) Nanammal
Explanation: Padma Shri awardee & India’s oldest Yoga teacher Nanammal passed away at 99. She had bagged 150 awards, 6 national-level gold medals and Yoga Ratna award of the Government of Karnataka in 2014. She was also conferred the Padma Shri in January 2019 for her efforts to make people lead a healthy life.
Q. The ___________ edition of Bangladesh-India Friendship Dialogue will be held at Cox Bazar in Bangladesh from November 1, 2019. The dialogue aims to draw from learning and experiences in these sectors between India and Bangladesh.
Answer: (b) 9th
Explanation: The 9th edition of Bangladesh-India Friendship Dialogue will be held at Cox Bazar in Bangladesh from November 1, 2019. The dialogue aims to draw from learning and experiences in these sectors between India and Bangladesh.
Todays GK Current Affairs One-Liners 31-10-2019 (Daily) for Banking, UPSC, Railways, RRB NTPC, SSC and All Competitive Exams
Likely successor to ISIS leader Baghdadi killed by US forces
- United States President Donald Trump has announced that the American military has killed the likely successor of slain Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
- The US President did not identify the person or give more detail on how the ISIS terrorist was killed. Al-Baghdadi was killed in a US military operation in northwest Syria.
US House sanctions on Turkey over Syria
- The United States House of Representatives overwhelmingly approved a legislation aimed at imposing sanctions on Turkish military and government officials over Ankara’s military operation against Kurdish forces in northeast Syria.
- The 403-16 vote is the latest rebuke of Trump’s decision to withdraw US forces from northeast Syria and leave Kurdish allies without military support as Turkey launched an operation in the area.
- The Bill could cripple Turkey’s economy and would punish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan personally by requiring an assessment of his net worth amid questions inside Turkey about his finances.
- Turkey condemned the House votes, saying the sanctions Bill is “incompatible with the spirit of our allied relations under NATO.
British MPs vote in favour of holding general elections on Dec 12
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s proposal for an early poll on the 12th December got through the House of Commons by a margin of 438 votes to 20.
- If the bill is approved by the House Lords also, this will be for the first time that elections will take place in December since 1923.
- The Prime Minister Johnson has said the public must be given a choice over the future of Brexit and the country.
- Mr Johnson hoped, the election will give him a fresh mandate for his Brexit deal and break the current Parliamentary deadlock.
- The deadlock has led to the UK’s exit being further delayed to 31 January.
Sri Lankan Cabinet approves Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) grant of 480 million from US
Sri Lankan Cabinet has approved the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) grant of 480 million US dollars from the US Government.
- Earlier, President Maithripala Sirisena had said that he will not approve the deal after the main opposition had raised concerns over the agreement.
- MCC consists of grant funds for traffic management in Colombo, road construction island-wide and land administration improvements covering the whole country.
- These compact programmes to be funded by this project have been developed by the Sri Lankan officials of the line ministries and departments based on the needs of the country.
- Sri Lanka is the 37th recipient of such grant funds from the people of the United States of America.
- The Minister of Finance will sign the agreement in the near future as it was confirmed by the Cabinet today while the implementation will begin early next year.
- Opposition parties have been against the agreement saying there are tough conditions attached to it which impinges on Sri Lanka’s sovereignty.
PM Narendra Modi reiterates his govt’s resolve to make India a five trillion dollar economy in next five years
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has reiterated his government’s resolve to make India a five trillion dollar economy in next five year.
- Addressing the Future Investment Initiative (FII) in Riyadh, Mr Modi urged global investors to take benefits from Indian start-up ecosystem.
- India has become the world’s third largest start-up ecosystem and Indian start-ups have started investing at global scale.
- Mr Modi highlighted five major trends as the keys to future prosperity.
- The Prime Minister also listed out several measures taken by his government for ease of doing business and ease of living.
- By 2024 India will invest 100 billion dollar in refining, pipeline, gas terminals to create energy infrastructure.
- Underlining the need for reform in UN, the Prime Minister said UN as an institution for conflict resolution has not developed as desired and the nations should look to reform its structure.
- powerful countries have seen UN as an instrument rather than an institution.
Indian Railways introduces OTP-based refund system for booking through travel agents
- To make the mechanism for a ticket-refund more accessible to the general public, Indian Railways have implemented a new One Time Password-OTP based refund system for tickets booked through authorised IRCTC ticketing agents.
- According to the Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation Limited (IRCTC), the initiative is aimed at bringing in a transparent and customer-friendly refund system wherein the passenger will come to know about the exact refund amount received by the agent on his behalf for reserved e-tickets which are cancelled or which are fully wait-listed dropped tickets.
- The OTP will be received as SMS on the registered mobile number of the passenger provided at the time of booking.
- The passenger will be required to share the OTP with the agent who booked the ticket for getting the refund amount.
- The objective of the scheme is to streamline the cancellation refund process further so that cancellation amount is refunded timely to the customer by the agents.
Indian Railways launched ‘Operation Dhanush’
- Indian Railways’ Central Railway zone conducted ‘Operation Dhanush’ recently against ticket touts involved in e-ticketing.
- The operation was carried out in all the five divisions falling under the Central Railway Zone.
- The operation was aimed to control touts on e – ticketing in view of Diwali rush of passengers to their native places.
- The drive yielded arrest of 23 agents.
Nepalese Festival ‘Kukur Tihar’ began
- A 5-day festival, called Tihar, has begun in Nepal.
- The 2nd day is traditionally known as Kukur Tihar, or the day of the dogs.
- Dogs, during this festival, are adorned with flowers, have tikka put on their foreheads and offered food as part of the ceremony.
- In Nepalese customs, dogs are believed to be messengers of Yamraj or the god of death and the ceremony is an attempt to appease the god.
Gujarat Ayurveda University signed MoU with wellness brand Sri Sri Tattva
- Gujarat Ayurveda University has signed an MoU with a wellness brand Sri Sri Tattva.
- Established in 1965 by an Act of Gujarat State Government, Gujarat Ayurveda University aims to promote the ancient science of Ayurveda by carrying joint studies, trial and R&D projects in the field of Ayurveda.
- The MoU signed will be complimenting each other’s area of expertise on the subject of Ayurveda.
Thotlakonda Buddhist site to be renovated
- Thotlakonda Buddhist site will be renovated as a meditation place for Vizagites and tourists.
- It was a sacred place of Buddhists during 300 BC to 300 AD.
- The 2,000-old Maha Stupa at Thotlakonda collapsed on one side due to heavy rains,.
- Thotlakonda Buddhist Complex is situated on a hill near Bheemunipatnam about 15 kilometres from Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
RBI imposes fine on Janata Sahakari Bank & Jalgaon Peoples Co-operative Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a fine of Rs 1 crore on Pune-based Janata Sahakari Bank and Rs 25 lakh on Jalgaon Peoples Co-operative Bank for violating income recognition, advances management and asset classification norms.
- The penalty has been imposed in exercise of powers vested in the RBI under the provisions of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, taking into account failure of the bank to adhere to the aforesaid directions issued by the RBI.
- The action is based on deficiencies in regulatory compliance and is not intended to pronounce upon the validity of any transaction or agreement entered into by the bank with its customers.
Indo-French bilateral ‘Exercise SHAKTI’ to be conducted 31 October
- The bilateral ‘Exercise SHAKTI’ between the armies of India and France will be conducted from 31st October to 13th November 2019 at Foreign Training Node in Mahajan Field Firing Ranges, Rajasthan.
- The joint exercise will focus on counter-terrorism operations in semi-desert terrain.
- The exercise aims at enhancing understanding, cooperation and interoperability between the two armies.
EU Parliamentary delegation meets students, women, traders, fruit growers in Srinagar
- A delegation of 23 Members of Parliament from different European countries which is on a two-day visit to Srinagar met students, women, traders, fruit growers besides panchs & sarpanchs.
- The delegation also had a Shikara ride in Dal Lake. During the two-day visit, the foreign delegation is getting an opportunity to get first hand account of the overall situation in Kashmir region.
- The delegation visited Army’s 15 Corps Headquarters at Badami Bagh Cantonment in Srinagar where the members were briefed about the overall security situation including militancy and status of infiltration along Line of Control in J&K.
- The delegation comprises of some of the Members of the European Parliament from Italy, Britain, France, Germany, and Poland.
- The delegation is the first international group to visit Kashmir after scrapping of J&K’s special status under Article 370 and bifurcation of the state into two union territories, through a Presidential Order following passage of J&K Reorganization Act in Parliament.
India to adopt Brazil model of human milk bank: Ashwini Kumar Choubey
- The Centre has set a target of ensuring at least 70 per cent infants to have access to breast milk by the year 2025.
- The Target will subsequently be increased to 100 per cent. India has taken inspiration from Brazil’s success in the field of human milk bank decided to adopt a similar model in creating a wide network of human milk banks.
- Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Ashwini Kumar Choubey told media in New Delhi after returning from BRICS Health Ministers’ Conference in Brazil, member countries have decided to take coordinated efforts to reduce infant mortality rate, increase the access of breast milk to the infants and ensuring affordable medicine to all.
- Issues like primary health coverage, reduction of infant mortality, vaccination, availability of affordable medicines, Tuberculosis and universal health coverage dominated the deliberations in the Conference.
- The member countries appreciated India’s Ayushman Bharat scheme for universal health coverage.
US Air Force space plane back on Earth after two-year mission
- The US Air Force’s mystery space plane is back on Earth, after 780 days in orbit following a record-breaking two-year mission.
- The X-37B landed at Kennedy Space Centre of National Aeronautics and Space Administration in Florida early Sunday. The Air Force is mum about what the plane did in orbit after launching aboard a SpaceX rocket in 2017.
- The mission sets a new endurance record for the reusable test vehicle. US officials said that this latest mission has successfully completed its objectives. This was the fifth spaceflight by a vehicle of this sort. No. 6 is planned next year with another launch from Cape Canaveral.
New technologyto capture carbon dioxide
- Researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the US have developed a new technology to capture carbon dioxide from a stream of air, virtually at any concentration level.
- This may pave the way for new strategies to reduce atmospheric greenhouse gas levels.
- The new method could take out the gas even when it was present in very low concentrations.
India to participate in Tokyo Olympics 2020
- India would be participating in the forthcoming 2020 Tokyo Olympics with full-fledged preparations.
- Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju inaugurated a world-class hockey turf in a private educational institution in Chennai.
- India would be aiming at getting gold medals in the 2024 Olympics in double digits and to reach the top-10 position in the 2028 Olympics.
- More than 14,000 young students have been identified with the potential to excel in sports and are being nourished to become world-class players.
- The players representing India in international sports events would be given their prize money the moment they reach the home country.
- In the New Education Policy, sports will be an inherent part of the educational system rather than being treated as an extra-curricular activity.