GK Current Affairs Quiz 30th October 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. Instantly obtain Latest Daily Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 30 October 2019 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation.
GK or General Awareness section can be the easiest section in all government, banking, SSC, railways exams when followed regularly. Aspirants of competitive exams such as IBPS, UPSC, SSC, SSC CPO, SSC CGL, Bank PO, Bank Clerk, IBPS, Railways, Government Jobs, UPPSC, MPSC, APPSC, TSPSC, SI, Constables etc can refer to the general knowledge questions and answers daily from this series of articles.
Todays GK Current Affairs Quiz 30-10-2019 (Daily) for Banking, UPSC, Railways, RRB NTPC, SSC and All Competitive Exams
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 29th October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 28th October 2019
- Weekly GK Current Affairs Quiz October 21st to 27th
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 26th October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 25th October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 24th October 2019
Q. Which of the following Indian fast bowler wins Wisden India Almanack Cricketer of the Year award?
(a) Mohammed Shami
(b) Jasprit Bumrah
(c) Umesh Yadav
(d) Ishant Sharma
(e) Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Answer:(b) Jasprit Bumrah
Explanation: Indian Fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah won the Wisden India Almanack Cricketer of the Year award.
Q. The Government of India, Government of Odisha and the World Bank have signed a USD _________ million loan agreement. The agreement is signed for Odisha’s Integrated Irrigation Project for Climate Resilient Agriculture.?
(a) USD 185 million
(b) USD 175 million
(c) USD 165 million
(d) USD 155 million
(e) USD 145 million
Answer:(c) USD 165 million
Explanation: The Government of India, Government of Odisha and the World Bank have signed a USD 165 million loan agreement. The agreement is signed for Odisha’s Integrated Irrigation Project for Climate Resilient Agriculture.
Q. ‘Maharatna’ status has been granted by the Government to state-owned _________________ and ___________________ . The status also comes with greater operational and financial autonomy.
(a) Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited and Power Finance Corporation Limited
(b) Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited and National Aluminium Company Limited
(c) Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited and Power Grid Corporation of India Limited
(d) Bharat Electronics Limited and Container Corporation of India Limited
(e) Engineers India Limited and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
Answer:(c) Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited and Power Grid Corporation of India Limited
Explanation: ‘Maharatna’ status has been granted by the Government to state-owned Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited and Power Grid Corporation of India Limited. The status also comes with greater operational and financial autonomy.
Q. What is the theme of World Day for Audiovisual Heritage 2019?
(a) Archives at Risk: Protecting the World’s Identities
(b) It’s your story – don’t lose it
(c) Discover, remember and share
(d) Your Story is Moving
(e) Engage the Past Through Sound and Images
Answer:(e) Engage the Past Through Sound and Images
Explanation: World Day for Audiovisual Heritage is celebrated all over the world on 27th of October. The theme for World Day for Audiovisual Heritage 2019 is “Engage the Past Through Sound and Images”.
Q. Ladakh administration is organizing the first-ever Ladakh Literature festival. The 3-day Literature Festival is being organized from 29 to 31 October 2019. Which of the following is the famous ladakhi folk dance?
(a) Ghoomer Dance
(b) Jabro Dance
(c) Karagam Dance
(d) Dumhal Dance
(e) Kilkkli Dance
Answer:(b) Jabro Dance
Explanation: Jabro is a traditional dance form prevailing in the Chang Thang and Rong areas of Ladakh region.
Q. Who among the following former Gujarat Chief Minister passed away recently?
(a) Suresh Mehta
(b) Shankersinh Vaghela
(c) Keshubhai Patel
(d) Dilip Parikh
(e) Chhabildas Mehta
Answer:(d) Dilip Parikh
Explanation: Former Gujarat Chief Minister Dilip Parikh passed away. He served as the 13th Chief Minister of Gujarat between October 1997 and March 1998.
Q. Who has been appointed as the 47th Chief Justice of India?
a) Justice NV Ramana
b) Justice AK Mishra
c) Justice SA Bobde
d) Justice RF Nariman
Answer:(c) Justice SA Bobde
Explanation: President Ram Nath Kovind signed a warrant formally appointing Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde as the 47th Chief Justice of India on October 29, 2019. Justice Bobde will be sworn in as the CJI on November 18, a day after the retirement of current CJI Ranjan Gogoi.
Q. What was the name of the leader of terrorist organization Islamic State, who was recently killed in a US military operation?
a) Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
b) Abdul Rehman Yasin
c) Ibrahim al-Yakub
Answer:(a) Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi
Explanation: US President Donald Trump announced in a press conference that Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the leader of the terrorist organization Islamic State (IS), had been killed. While addressing a press conference, Trump said that trained commandos of the US military killed Baghdadi in a special operation in the remote village of Barisha in the Syrian province Idlib.
Q. J&K Governor Satya Pal Malik has been transferred and appointed as the new Governor of which among the following states?
Explanation: Satya Pal Malik, who served as the 13th and last Governor of the state of Jammu and Kashmir, was transferred and appointed as the new Governor of Goa.
Q. Who has been appointed as the first Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir?
a) Girish Chandra Murmu
b) Satya Pal Malik
c) Radha Krishna Mathur
d) PS Sreedharan Pillai
Answer:(a) Girish Chandra Murmu
Explanation: Girish Chandra Murmu has been appointed as the first Governor of the J&K Union Territory. He is a 1985-batch retired IAS officer from Gujarat-cadre.
Q. How many members of the European Union delegation arrived in India to visit Jammu and Kashmir?
Explanation: A delegation of 27 EU MPs will assess the situation in Jammu and Kashmir after repealing the provisions of Article 370. These include people from political parties of countries like the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
Q. What is the name of online aptitude test which was launched by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT)?
Explanation: The Central Board of Secondary Education and National Council for Educational Research and Training have launched an online aptitude test called ‘Tamanna’. Tamanna stands for “Try And Measure Aptitude And Natural Abilities“.
Q. Who among the following overtook Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos to become the world’s richest person?
(a) Larry Ellison
(b) Bill Gates
(c) Bernard Arnault
(d) Warren Buffett
(e) Mark Zuckerberg
Answer:(b) Bill Gates
Explanation: Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates overtook Jeff Bezos to become the world’s richest person. Amazon founder and CEO Jeff Bezos lost the title as the world’s richest man to Bill Gates, after losing nearly $7 billion in stock value leaving his net worth to $103.9 billion. Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is currently worth $105.7 billion.
Q. Which of the following team won the Vijay Hazare Trophy 2019-20?
(d) Tamil Nadu
Explanation: Karnataka has won the 2019-20 Vijay Hazare Trophy. Karnataka defeated Tamil Nadu by 9 wickets in the finals of Vijay Hazare Trophy at Bengaluru.
Q. Who among the following Indian batswoman won the Wisden India Almanack Cricketer of the Year award?
(a) Rajeshwari Gayakwad
(b) Ekta Bisht
(c) Harmanpreet Kaur
(d) Smriti Mandhana
(e) Mithali Raj
Answer:(d) Smriti Mandhana
Explanation: Indian batswoman Smriti Mandhana won the Wisden India Almanack Cricketer of the Year award.
Q. India’s unseeded _____________ beat 3rd seeded Jaroslav Smedek of the Czech Republic and clinched the men’s singles title in World Deaf Tennis Championships 2019.
(a) S S Muthu Michael
(b) Gerald Wilcox
(c) Prithvi Sekhar
(d) Dasharath Harsambhav
(e) Virender Singh
Answer:(c) Prithvi Sekhar
Explanation: India’s unseeded Prithvi Sekhar beat 3rd seeded Jaroslav Smedek of the Czech Republic by 6-4, 6-3 points and clinched the men’s singles title in World Deaf Tennis Championships 2019.
Q. Who among the following took oath as deputy chief minister of Haryana?
(a) Anoop Dhanak
(b) Dushyant Chautala
(c) Naina Singh Chautala
(d) Jogi Ram Sihag
(e) Amarjeet Dhanda
Answer:(b) Dushyant Chautala
Explanation: Dushyant Chautala is an Indian politician who is the current Deputy Chief Minister of Haryana. He took oath as the Deputy Chief Minister of Haryana on 27 October 2019.
Q. Which country has shown an interest in purchasing of BrahMos missile?
Answer:(d) The Philippines
Explanation: The Philippines military has shown an interest in purchasing the BrahMos missile jointly designed by India and Russia. The matter was discussed between Indian and Philippines officials during the visit of Indian Navy warship INS Sahyadri to the Philippines.
Q. Which state is hosting the 7th edition of Tawang festival?
d) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer:(d) Arunachal Pradesh
Explanation: The 7th edition of the Tawang Festival kicked off on October 29, 2019 in Arunachal Pradesh. US Ambassador to India Kenneth Juster had declared the festival open.
Q. The Global Bio-India 2019 will be held for the first time in India in __________ from 21st to 23rd November, 2019. It is one of the largest biotechnology stakeholders integration programme.
(e) New Delhi
Answer:(e) New Delhi
Explanation: The Global Bio-India 2019 will be held for the first time in India in New Delhi from 21st to 23rd November, 2019. It is one of the largest biotechnology stakeholders integration programme.
Q. __________________ in association with Universal Sompo General Insurance Co Ltd. has launched upgraded health care plus insurance policy.
(a) Canara Bank
(b) Central Bank of India
(c) Indian Overseas Bank
(d) Bank of Baroda
(e) Bank of India
Answer:(c) Indian Overseas Bank
Explanation: Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) in association with Universal Sompo General Insurance Co Ltd. has launched upgraded health care plus insurance policy.
Q. Who has been appointed as the first Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh?
a) Mridula Sinha
b) PS Sreedharan Pillai
c) Girish Chandra Murmu
d) Radha Krishna Mathur
Answer:(d) Radha Krishna Mathur
Explanation: The Government has chosen Radha Krishna Mathur to be the first Lieutenant Governor of the Union Territory of Ladakh. Mathur formerly served as the Chief Information Commissioner till November 2018.
Q. Which cricketer is set to face an international ban for not reporting a bookie approach?
a) Faf Du Plessis
b) Shakib Al Hasan
c) Steve Smith
d) Jonny Bairstow
Answer:(b) Shakib Al Hasan
Explanation: Shakib Al Hasan could face an 18-month long ICC ban for failing to report a bookie approach incident. A bookie had approached Shakib Al Hasan with an offer before an international match, almost two years ago.
Q. Which state/UT government has announced to provide free travel facility for women in public bus service?
Explanation: Delhi state government launched a free bus service for all women on October 29, on the occasion of Bhai Dooj. Under the scheme, ‘single journey free travel passes’ will be issued to women free of cost in all DTC and cluster buses including the AC ones.
Q. What is the theme of Vigilance Awareness Week 2019?
(a) Preventive Vigilance as a tool of Good Governance
(b) Integrity- a way of life
(c) Eradicate Corruption- Build a New India
(d) My Vision-Corruption Free India
(e) Public Participation in promoting Integrity and Eradicating Corruption
Answer:(b) Integrity- a way of life
Explanation: The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare will observe the Vigilance Awareness Week from 28th October to 2nd November, 2019. The week will be observed with the theme of “Integrity- a way of life”.
Todays TOP GK Current Affairs One-Liners 30-10-2019 (Daily) for Banking, UPSC, Railways, RRB NTPC, SSC and All Competitive Exams
US calls for ending violence in protest-torn Iraq
- The United States has called for ending violence in protest-torn Iraq.
- Washington is also deeply concerned about the forced closure of media outlets in the country.
- Saudi broadcaster Al Arabiya and its subsidiary project Al Hadath said in the early hours of Sunday (27 October) that Iraqi authorities had suspended their activities in the country, citing lack of a license as the reason.
- The protests began on 1st of October and were suspended in mid-October for pilgrimage before resuming .
Thousands of Lebanese form human chain to support protests
- Thousands of Lebanese formed a human chain along highways and coastal roads in a show of solidarity with anti-government protests.
- The protesters joined hands along a main bridge connecting central Beirut to the north and south on the 11th day of nationwide protests.
- Ignited by anger at proposed economic reforms, the protests rapidly escalated into calls for the overthrow of the political elites who have governed the country since the end of its 1975-1990 civil war.
- The rallies have paralysed the country already grappling with a severe fiscal crisis.
ISIS leader Baghdadi killed
- The death of ISIS leader and world’s most wanted terrorist Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi in an American air raid in northwest Syria is a major victory in the enduring mission to defeat the dreaded terror group.
- As a result, Baghdadi, who led the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria terrorist movement and inspired one of the most brutal and misguided terror campaigns in modern history, is dead at the hands of the United States military.
- Mark Esper was part of a small group of people who were aware of the top-secret operation and watched the raid live form the Situation Room of the White House.
- Congratulating American troops for raid in northwest Syria that led to the death of Islamic State Chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, top United States leaders described it as a great day for America and hailed President Donald Trump for the secret mission.
- Former US Vice President and Democratic Presidential front-runner Joe Biden congratulated Special Forces, intelligence community and all the brave military professionals on delivering justice to the terrorist al-Baghdadi.
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi also said that Americans salute the heroism, dedication and skill of their military and intelligence professionals and acknowledge the work of our partners in the region.
- The brave special operations forces successfully executed a dangerous mission to get ISIS leader al-Baghdadi.
- The ISIS leader’s death marks a significant milestone in US’ ongoing campaign to destroy ISIS.
California declares state-wide emergency as more than 3000 fire fighters battle raging forest fire
- California’s Governor Gavin Newsom declared a state-wide emergency due to the unprecedented high winds that have led to the Kincade Fire in the state. The blaze has destroyed dozens of homes and wineries, including the iconic Soda Rock Winery built in 1869.
- The Kincade Fire ignited on Wednesday and spread quickly due to powerful wind gusts up to 145 kilometres per hour.
- More than 3,000 firefighters backed by air tankers and helicopters were battling to control the blaze, which was not expected to be contained before 7th of November.
- In a bid to reduce the risk of fire, California’s largest utility, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, expected to turn off power to nearly one million customers across northern and central California.
- The same type of line was responsible for California’s deadliest wildfire ever, last year’s Camp Fire, which killed 86 people.
- PG&E, which filed for bankruptcy protection earlier this year, has been blamed for several other fires in the state in recent years.
Chile President sacks whole cabinet after protests
- In Chile, President Sebastian Pinera has dismissed his whole cabinet in order to form a new government and introduce social reforms demanded by protesters.
- He announced that a curfew imposed in cities across Chile a week ago had been lifted.
- Meanwhile, the opposition has called for the state of emergency to end too.
- Earlier in the week, Pinera declared a state of emergency across much of Chile and put the military in charge of security in the capital Santiago and other cities.
- More than a million people joined a peaceful rally in Santiago, calling for social justice.
- Protests began in Chile over an increase in subway fares more than a week ago and escalated into riots.
- At least 17 people have been killed and more than 7,000 people arrested during the protests.
Peronists win in Argentina election
- Argentine markets are expected to fall on 28th October, 2019 after President Mauricio Macri was ousted in an election by Peronist rival Alberto Fernandez, though economists said the impact could be cushioned by a stronger-than-expected showing by the conservative leader.
- Peronists swept back into power on Sunday, ousting Mr. Macri in an election result that shifts Latin America’s No. 3 economy firmly back toward the left after it was battered by economic crisis.
- With votes almost all counted, Mr. Fernandez had around 48% of the vote to Mr. Macri’s 40% – a wide enough margin to win in the first round, but a far better result for Macri than a landslide defeat in an August primary which sparked a market collapse.
- “The next Peronist government will be under pressure with a strengthened opposition…. it is not a blunt victory for Alberto Fernandez,” said Ariel Coremberg, director of the Center of Productivity Studies at University of Buenos Aires.
- Investors are waiting for Mr. Fernandez and his vice presidential running mate, former firebrand President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, to detail their economic plans.
PM stresses on importance of reposing faith & respect for judiciary
- Ahead of the Supreme Court verdict on Ram Janmabhoomi-Babri Masjid land dispute of Ayodhya, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has stressed on the importance of reposing faith and respect for judiciary and unity among the people.
- Recalling the September 30, 2010 verdict of the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court, the verdict tension was building up in different parts of the country. He said, but once the verdict came, people observed restraints and all stakeholders contributed their parts to keep things calm and peaceful.
- In his ‘Mann ki Baat’ programme on All India Radio, the Prime Minister thanked the people for their observance of restraints and calm.
- The observances of restraints should always be remembered as they impart a lot of strength in us.
- It is an example of how the voice of unison can bestow strength in our country.
- The Prime Minister’s remarks have special significance as the Supreme Court verdict on Ram Janam Bhoomi Babri Masjid dispute of Ayodhya is expected in next month (November, 2019).
- The five-Judge Constitution Bench of the Supreme Court headed by the Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi reserved the judgment on 16th October, 2019 after a marathon 40-day hearing of the case.
‘Deepotsav’ Enters Guinness World Records
- The much-talked-about ‘Deepotsav’, the annual Diwali festival in Ayodhya, entered the Guinness Book of Record with the illumination of 5.51 lakh earthen lamps on the occasion.
- The event made it to the Guinness World Records for ‘the largest display of oil lamps’.
- It has been achieved by Department of Tourism, Government of Uttar Pradesh and Dr Ram Manohar Lohiya Awadh University.
India’s demand for Steel shall be a driver of its capacity expansion
- The demand for steel in the country has seen a substantial increase and is expected to increase further as India embarks to become a USD 5 trillion economy.
- Addressing the Ministerial Meeting of Global Forum on Steel Excess Capacity in Tokyo, India’s demand for Steel shall be a driver of its capacity expansion.
- India is committed to spend about USD 1.4 trillion on its infrastructure development in the next five years.
- All this augurs well for the steel demand in the country.
- The government is determined to raise the per capita consumption of steel from its current low of 72 kg per capita to 160 kg per capita by 2030.
Bangladesh PM Sheikh Hasina calls for early operationalisation of BBIN Motor Vehicles Agreement
- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has called for early operationalisation of the BBIN (Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal) Motor Vehicles Agreement (MVA) between India, Bangladesh and Nepal, if Bhutan needs more time to consider it.
- She made this statement in Azerbaijan after meeting the Prime Minister of Nepal on the sidelines of the NAM summit at Baku.
- Foreign Secretary of Bangladesh Md Shahidul Haque Nepal agreed to the proposal of Sheikh Hasina.
- During the visit of PM Hasina to India early this month, the joint statement issued by both the countries had called for early operationalisation of BBIN Motor Vehicles Agreement between the member countries who are willing and ready or to work towards a bilateral India-Bangladesh Motor Vehicles agreement.
- The Motor Vehicle Agreement between BBIN member states was signed in 2015 but it has not yet been operationalised as the upper house of Bhutan did not ratify it.
- It has some reservations about its environmental impact owing to increased traffic of heavy-duty vehicles.
- The MVA is a landmark framework agreement to facilitate the seamless flow of passenger, personal and cargo vehicular traffic among the BBIN countries.
- It has the potential for supply chain integration between the member states benefitting all.
PM Narendra Modi embarks on a day-long visit to Saudi Arabia today (28 October)
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will embark on a visit to Saudi Arabia.
- Mr. Modi will reach Riyadh tonight (28 October) the Prime Minister will address the third session of Saudi Arabia’s Future Investment Initiative Forum.
- Mr. Modi will have a bilateral meeting with Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and hold delegation-level talks with Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman.
- The Saudi Prince will also host a banquet dinner in his honour.
- The visit of Prime Minister Modi to Saudi Arabia has two important components – the first is the strengthening of the bilateral relationship between the two countries and the second , where Prime Minister is the keynote speaker at the Future Investment Initiative Forum at Riyadh.
- Dubbed as the ‘Davos of the Desert’, the Forum projects the Kingdom as the investment hub of the region.
- India and Saudi Arabia are likely to sign twelve agreements in key areas like civil aviation, defence procurement, security cooperation, non-renewable energy sector during the upcoming visit.
- But most importantly, an MoU is likely to be signed to establish the Strategic Partnership Council for both the countries.
- Prime Minister Modi will hold bilateral talks with King Salman and delegation level talks with Crown Prince Mohd bin Salman.
- The visit is very high on deliverables and is expected to strengthen the existing relationship between the two countries. Both countries have strong people to people contact.
- Around 2.6 million Indians are living in Saudi Arabia and send back remittances to the tune of 11 million dollars annually.
Odisha inked LoU with UNICEF to provide safe drinking water to every household in the state
- The Odisha government has signed a Letter of Understanding (LoU) with UNICEF to provide safe drinking water to every household in the state.
- The LoU was signed by the state housing and urban development department (HUDD) to provide 24-hour safe drinking water and the project has been named as ‘Drink From Tap Mission’.
- The project will be launched on a pilot basis for about 1.2 lakh people.
NASA To Launch Golf Cart-Sized Rover
- NASA will send a golf cart-sized robot to the moon in 2022 to search for deposits of water below the surface.
- This is an effort to evaluate the vital resource ahead of a planned human return to the moon in 2024 to possibly use it for astronauts to drink and to make rocket fuel,
- The VIPER robot stands for Volatiles Investigating Polar Exploration Rover.
‘Kyarr’ will become a super cyclone: Met department
- The Meteorological Department announced the situation in the Arabian Sea could become very bad in the next 24 hours following the condition of the Kyarr cyclone turning in to a super cyclone.
- Issuing warning about the cyclone, Met department has said that the storm could affect the coastal areas of Maharashtra, Karnataka and Goa.
- According to the weather department, the center of Cyclone Kyarr is currently about 540 km from the west-southwest coast of Mumbai.
IIT Hyderabad, KIIT Bhubaneswar develop ‘Bio Bricks’ from Agricultural waste
- The researchers from IIT Hyderabad and KIIT School of Architecture, Bhubaneswar have developed bio- bricks from agricultural waste.
- The product serves dual purposes of development of eco-friendly sustainable material and also waste management.
- The bricks are made from agro-waste like wheat straw, paddy straw, sugarcane bagasse and cotton plant.
- Bio-bricks are more sustainable than clay bricks.
Satwiksairaj Rankireddy-Chirag Shetty bag silver in doubles event at French Open
- In Badminton, India’s top men’s doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty lost to world No.1 pair of Marcus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo in the finals of the French Open in Paris .
- The Indian duo settled for silver after losing the final 18-21, 16-21.
- Satwik and Chirag had won their maiden Super 500 title at the Thailand Open earlier in August, 2019.
- It was the first time that an Indian men’s doubles pair reached a World Tour 750 final.