GK Current Affairs Quiz 24th October 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. Instantly obtain Latest Daily Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 24 October 2019 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation.
GK or General Awareness section can be the easiest section in all government, banking, SSC, railways exams when followed regularly. Aspirants of competitive exams such as IBPS, UPSC, SSC, SSC CPO, SSC CGL, Bank PO, Bank Clerk, IBPS, Railways, Government Jobs, UPPSC, MPSC, APPSC, TSPSC, SI, Constables etc can refer to the general knowledge questions and answers daily from this series of articles.
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 23rd October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 22nd October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 21st October, 2019
Todays GK Current Affairs Quiz 24-10-2019 with Questions and Answers
Q. Who amongst these won the 7th season of Vivo Pro Kabaddi League 2019?
(a) Telugu Titans
(b) Bengal Warriors
(c) Haryana Steelers
(d) Dabang Delhi
(e) Patna Pirates
Answer: (b) Bengal Warriors
In the final of 7th season of Vivo Pro Kabaddi League 2019, Bengal Warriors won their first title by defeating Dabang Delhi by 39-34 in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
Most Valuable Player award of the League was bagged by Naveen Kumar from Dabang Delhi, Best raider to Pawan Kumar Sherawat from Bengaluru Bulls; Best defender award to U Mumba’s Fazel Atrachali.
Q. 2 BrahMos surface to surface missiles were fired by Indian Air Force in ________.
(a) Andaman and Nicobar
(e) None of these
Answer: (a) Andaman and Nicobar
Explaination: 2 BrahMos surface to surface missiles were fired by Indian Air Force at Trak Island in the Andaman Nicobar group of islands.
The missile engaged the designated mock targets close to 300 km away.
The firing of the missiles has enhanced Air force capability to engage the grounds targets with pinpoint accuracy from a mobile platform.
Q. India has issued a travel advisory for Indians traveling to which nation?
(a) United States
Answer: (b) Turkey
Explaination: India has issued a travel advisory for Indian nationals travelling to Turkey. The advisory has been issued to request Indians to exercise utmost concern while travelling to the nation even though there have been no reports of any untoward incidents in Turkey involving Indians.
Q. Minister of Panchayati Raj ________conferred the National Panchayat Awards 2019 at a function in New Delhi on 23 Oct 2019.
(a) D.V. Sadananda Gowda
(b) Narendra Singh Tomar
(c) Ramvilas Paswan
(d) Thaawar Chand Gehlot
(e) Arjun Munda
Answer: (b) Narendra Singh Tomar
Explaination: Minister of Panchayati Raj Narendra Singh Tomar conferred the National Panchayat Awards 2019 at a function in New Delhi on 23 Oct 2019.
The Awards were given to awardee Panchayats and States in various categories.
These categories are Deen Dayal Upadhyay Panchayat Sashaktikaran Puraskar, Nanaji Deshmukh Rashtriya Gaurav Gram Sabha Puraskar, Gram Panchayat Development Plan Award, etc.
Q. Who amongst these has been appointed as the Secretary Department of Investment and Public Asset Management?
(a) Tuhin Kanta Pandey
(b) Braj Raj Sharma
(c) Pankaj Kumar
(d) Pranav Das
(e) Sanjeev Gupta
Answer: (a) Tuhin Kanta Pandey
Explaination: The Appointments Committee of Cabinet approved the appointment of Tuhin Kanta Pandey as Secretary Department of Investment and Public Asset Management.
Braj Raj Sharma has been appointed Chairman of Staff Selection Commission while Sanjeev Nandan Sahai as new Power Secretary.
Pankaj Kumar will be the new CEO of Unique Identification Authority of India.
Q. Who amongst these has been appointed as the Minority Affairs Secretary?
(a) Sanjeev Gupta
(b) Alok Tandon
(c) Nagendra Nath Sinha
(d) Pramod Kumar Das
Answer: (d) Pramod Kumar Das
Explaination: Pramod Kumar Das has been appointed Minority Affairs Secretary.
Sanjeev Gupta- Secretary, Inter-State Council Secretariat.
Sailesh-Secretary, Department of Public Enterprises.
Alok Tandon-Secretary in Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances
Nagendra Nath Sinha-Secretary, Department of Border Management in the Home Ministry.
Q. Which state government has decided to impose spot fines for storage, sale and purchase of banned firecrackers?
(a) Tamil Nadu
(b) Uttar Pradesh
(c) West Bengal
Answer: (c) West Bengal
Explaination: The West Bengal government has decided to impose spot fines for storage, selling and purchasing of banned fire crackers in the state.
Q. Para-athlete Anandan Gunasekaran won two gold medals in the disabled men’s 100m and 400m IT1 events to open India’s medal account at the 7th CISM World Military Games.
(a) Varun Singh Bhati
(b) Anandan Gunasekaran
(c) Devendra Jhajharia
(d) Suyash Jadhav
(e) Mariyappan Thangavelu
Answer: (b) Anandan Gunasekaran
Explaination: Para-athlete Anandan Gunasekaran won two gold medals in the disabled men’s 100m and 400m IT1 events to open India’s medal account at the 7th CISM World Military Games.
Gunasekaran clocked 12.00 sec to win the 100m event, India’s first medal in the ongoing Games.
Peru’s Casas Jose was second with a timing of 12.65 while Fajardo Pardo Teodicelo of Colombia took the bronze with 12.72 sec.
Q. In which of these places was India’s first all-women-run automobile service workshop inaugurated?
Answer: (a) Jaipur
Explaination: India’s first all-women-run automobile service workshop in Jaipur was inaugurated by Mahindra & Mahindra recently.
This move is part of the company’s initiative called ‘Pink Collars’ to promote the recruitment of women in core productive roles.
The Compact Qwik workshop has women in roles including technicians, service advisors, drivers, part managers and security guards.
Q. The ________ Cabinet decided that no government jobs will be given to persons having more than two children after January 1, 2021.
(b) West Bengal
(d) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: (c) Assam
Explaination: The Assam Cabinet decided that no government jobs will be given to persons having more than two children after January 1, 2021.
The important decision was taken at a Cabinet meeting that also adopted a New Land Policy, which will give three bighas of agricultural land to landless indigenous people and half a bigha for constructing a house.
Q. The Railways has decided to allow carriage to goods of ________ on a pilot basis for three months during the non-peak hours.
(e) None of these
Answer: (b) Amazon
Explaination: The Railways has decided to allow carriage to goods of e-commerce giant Amazon on a pilot basis for three months during the non-peak hours.
With the pilot project of allowing to carry the e-commerce consignments, the parcel business of Indian Railways will get a major boost.
Carrying of e-commerce consignment of Amazon in EMU services commenced from Sealdah to Dankuni in EMU local.
Q. Read the following:
International workshop on Environmental Flows Assessment and Implementation for India was inaugurated by Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, Union Minister for Jal Shakti at Delhi.
The exchange of Indian, African and International Experiences was brought together by National Mission of Clean Ganga (NMCG).
Indo-German Cooperation project is titled Support to Ganga Rejuvenation(SGR).
Which of the statements is true?
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 2
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Only 3
(e) Both 1 and 3
Answer: (e) Both 1 and 3
Explaination: International workshop on Environmental Flows Assessment and Implementation for India was inaugurated by Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, Union Minister for Jal Shakti at Delhi.
The exchange of Indian, European and International Experiences was brought together by National Mission of Clean Ganga (NMCG) along with the Indo-German Cooperation with its project Support to Ganga Rejuvenation(SGR).
Q. When will be the next ‘Hunar Haat’ organised?
(a) November 1-10, 2019
(b) November 2-8, 2019
(c) November 3-12, 2019
(d) November 1-6, 2019
(e) November 5-20, 2019
Answer: (a) November 1-10, 2019
The next ‘Hunar Haat’, an initiative of the Minority Affairs Ministry, will be organised from November 1-10, 2019 in Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh.
More than 300 master artisans and culinary experts including a large number of women artisans will participate in it.
All the ‘Hunar Haats’ to be organised in 2019 and 2020 will be based on the theme of Ek Bharat Shresth Bharat.
Q. Researchers have developed a new catalyst that can help turn ________ into fuels like natural gas.
(b) carbon dioxide
(e) carbon monoxide
Answer: (b) carbon dioxide
Explaination: Researchers have developed a new catalyst that can help turn carbon dioxide from car exhaust pipes and other sources into fuels like natural gas or propane.
The latest approach from engineers at Stanford University in the US yields four times more ethane, propane and butane than existing methods that use similar processes.
It could significantly reduce the near-term impact on global warming.
Q. MeitY Startup Hub (MSH), a platform to connect the startup ecosystem, was formally inaugurated by ________, Minister for Electronics & Information Technology, at the MeitY Startup Summit 2019.
(a) Ravi Shankar Prasad
(b) Ramvilas Paswan
(c) Subrahmanyam Jaishankar
(d) Prakash Javadekar
(e) Piyush Goyal
Answer: (a) Ravi Shankar Prasad
Explaination: MeitY Startup Hub (MSH), a platform to connect the startup ecosystem, has been formally inaugurated by Ravi Shankar Prasad, Minister for Electronics & Information Technology, at the MeitY Startup Summit 2019.
It will work like a social media platform for all the stakeholders of the ecosystem, including incubators, accelerators, mentors, angel funds, and venture capitalists.
Q. India and ________ have decided to carry forward working together in the Rail Transport sector.
Answer: (d) Switzerland
Explaination: India and Switzerland have decided to carry forward working together in the Rail Transport sector.
The two sides have followed upon the 1st meeting of Joint Working Group (JWG) held between two sides after the MoU for cooperation in rail sector was signed in 2017.
The discussions focused on Freight and Passenger Cars, Railway Electrification Equipments, Multimodal transport, tunneling technology.
Q. Which Minister launched the first national protocol to specify snow leopard population in India?
(a) Prakash Javadekar
(b) Amit Shah
(c) Rajnath Singh
(d) Smriti Irani
Answer: (a) Prakash Javadekar
Explaination: Prakash Javadekar, the Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change launched the first national protocol to specify the snow leopard population of India on the occasion of the 2019 International Snow Leopard Day on October 23, 2019.
Q. Which institution fired two BrahMos missiles at Trak Island in Andaman Nicobar on October 23, 2019?
(d) All of them.
Answer: (c) IAF
Explaination: Indian Air Force fired 2 BrahMos missiles on October 23, 2019 at Trak Island in the Andaman Nicobar group of islands as a part of the routine operational training.
Q. The DRDO is working on manufacturing a hypersonic missile, that would be capable of travelling at a speed ________ times faster than that of sound.
Answer: (c) five
Explaination: The DRDO is working on manufacturing a hypersonic missile, that would be capable of travelling at a speed five times faster than that of sound.
The next generation hypersonic weapons will have the capacity to move at a speed of about a mile per second.
A wind tunnel is being worked on at the moment where the weapon will be tested and fine-tuned, before it is put to operational use.
Q. Raunak Sadhwani became India’s ________ Grandmaster. He is 13 years old.
Answer: (c) 65th
Explaination: Raunak Sadhwani became India’s 65th Grandmaster.
He defeated Russian GM Alexander Motylev to become the Grandmaster at the age of 13 years.
Sadhwani’s first GM norm came in the 2019 Aeroflot Open and the 2nd in the 2019 Porticcio Open and the final norm at FIDE-Chess Grand Swiss.
He has joined the growing list of country’s teenaged GMs that includes Nihal Sarin and D. Gukesh.
Q. ________ & Delhi Crime have won awards at the Asian Academy Creative Awards.
(b) Gully Boy
(e) Batla House
Answer: (b) Gully Boy
Explaination: Gully Boy & Delhi Crime have won awards at the Asian Academy Creative Awards.
Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt-starrer Gully Boy won the best film from India award in the regional finals at the Asian Academy Creative Awards ceremony.
Netflix series Delhi Crime won for Best Actress, Best Direction, Best Drama Series, Best Editing and Best Original Programme.
Q. National Crime Records Bureau has released the annual Crime in India Report 2017. Which of these states topped the list?
(c) Uttar Pradesh
(e) West Bengal
Answer: (c) Uttar Pradesh
Explaination: National Crime Records Bureau has released the annual Crime in India Report 2017.
The report has been released after a delay of 2 years.
According to the report, 3.59 lakh cases of crime against women were reported in the country.
Uttar Pradesh topped the list with 56,011 cases followed by Maharashtra with 31,979 cases and West Bengal 30,002 in cases of crime against women.
Q. Who among the following has been nominated by the US President Donald Trump for the post of Energy Minister?
(a) Dan Brouillette
(b) Mark Esper
(c) Kevin Macaleen
(d) Henry Roots
Answer: (a) Dan Brouillette
Explaination: Dan Brouillette has previously worked at Ford Motor Company on various positions. President Trump said that Dan Brouillette’s experience in this department is unique and he is confident that he will do a fantastic job.
Q. The Colonel Chewang Rinchen Setu was recently inaugurated by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh at which place?
Answer: (b) Ladakh
Explaination: Colonel Chewang Rinchen Setu is 400 meters long bridge located between Karakoram and Chang Chenmo mountain ranges in Ladakh. It has been built at an altitude of about 15,000 feet using micro piling techno logy.
Q. What is the name of the ad campaign that UNWFP has launched in India to eradicate hunger?
(a) No to Hunger
(b) Stop Malnutrition
(c) United against hunger
(d) Feed our Future
Answer: (d) Feed our Future
Explaination: The United Nations World Food Program (UNWFP) has launched an advertising campaign “Feed Our Future” with Bollywood in India. The objective of this campaign is to create awareness and take steps against hunger and malnutrition in India.
Q. When is the United Nations Day observed globally?
(a) 22nd October
(b) 23rd October
(c) 24th October
(d) 25th October
Answer: (c) 24th October
Explaination: The United Nations (UN) Day 2019 will be observed across the world on October 24, 2019 to mark the 74th anniversary of the UN Charter and celebrate ever achievement and initiative of the UN.
Q. Who is slated to be the kingmaker in the Canada Elections 2019?
(a) Yves-François Blanchet
(b) Jagmeet Singh
(c) Andrew Scheer
(d) Elizabeth May
Answer: (b) Jagmeet Singh
Explaination: The leader of the New Democratic Party, Jagmeet Singh is likely to play the role of Kingmaker, as his party has won 24 seats. The Justin Trudeau-led Liberal Party will require support to cross the majority 170 mark.
Q. The logo for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games unveiled at a ceremony in the French capital Paris on ________.
(a) 22 October 2019
(b) 21 October 2019
(c) 23 October 2019
(d) 20 October 2019
(e) None of these
Answer: (a) 22 October 2019
Explaination: The logo for the Paris 2024 Olympic Games unveiled at a ceremony in the French capital Paris on 22 October 2019.
The circular design with Paris 2024 in the art deco style which was in vogue in 1924 when Paris last hosted the Games, also incorporates the lips and outline of Marianne, the personification of the French Republic since the revolution in 1789.
Q. In Canada Elections 2019, the Justin Trudeau-led Liberal Party won how many seats?
Answer: (a) 157
Explaination: Justin Trudeau’s Liberal party won 157 out of the total 338 seats in Canada Elections 2019, falling short of the required majority. The party’s vote share was 33 percent, lower than the Conservatives which had 34.4% vote share.
Q. Which of these cricketers announced retirement from cricket recently?
(a) Abhishek Nayar
(b) Milind Kumar
(c) Faiz Fazal
(d) Shubham Gill
(e) Aditya Tare
Answer: (a) Abhishek Nayar
Explaination: Abhishek Nayar has announced his first-class cricket retirement after 13 long years of first class cricket playing for Mumbai and Puducherry.
He is known more for his contribution to Mumbai’s successive Ranji Trophy triumphs.
Since July 2018, Nayar has been the lead coach and mentor of the Kolkata Knight Riders academy in Bengaluru.
Todays TOP GK Current Affairs One-Liners in Short 24-10-2019
British Parliament rejects PM Boris Johnson’s attempt to fast-track Brexit deal
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s plan to fast-track his Brexit deal through Parliament in time for 31st of October deadline was blocked by MPs last night even after he threatened to pull it and press for a general election.
- The lawmakers rejected the three-day deadline for debating the Brexit Bill after passing it in principle.
- They voted against wrapping up the debate on 17 October, 2019 by 322 to 308. This was against the wishes of Prime Minister Boris Johnson, was pausing the legislation until he had spoken to European Union leaders.
- The Commons supported the Withdrawal Agreement Bill earlier, but voted against the short time-table. Earlier, the bill had cleared the first Parliamentary hurdle, with MPs backing it 329 votes to 299. It effectively meant Johnson’s Brexit Withdrawal Agreement with the EU could become law, but the MPs then voted 322 to 308 against the sped-up timetable for the bill.
- Expressing his disappointment, Mr Johnson said, they now face further uncertainty. He said, approval for the time-table would have guaranteed that the UK would be in a position to leave the EU on 31st of October with a deal. Mr Johnson had earlier threatened to pull the bill and seek a General Election instead of delaying Brexit beyond the October 31 deadline.
- The President of the European Council Donald Tusk said last night that he will recommend to EU leaders that they postpone Brexit beyond the current deadline.
Canada Elections 2019: Trudeau’s Liberal Party wins but loses majority
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s Liberal Party held onto power in a nail-biter of a Canadian General Election on 22 October, 2019, but as a weakened minority government.
- Television projections declared the Liberals winners or leading in 157 of the nation’s 338 electoral districts, versus 121 for his main rival Andrew Scheer and the Conservatives, after polling stations across six time zones closed.
- The 47-year-old former school teacher dominated Canadian politics over the four years of his first term but faced a grilling during the 40-day election campaign, which was described as one of the nastiest in Canadian history.
- The Bloc Quebecois came back from a ruinous 2015 election result, tapping into lingering Quebec nationalism to take 32 seats, while the New Democratic Party (NDP) won 25 seats, according to projections.
- NDP leader Jagmeet Singh, a leftist former criminal defence lawyer, is the first non-white leader of a federal political party in Canada, and will likely emerge as the kingmaker.
Japanese Emperor Naruhito formally proclaims ascension to throne
- In Japan, Emperor Naruhito has formally proclaimed his ascension to the throne in an elaborate ceremony.
- The emperor, 59, officially began his reign in May after the abdication of his father, the then-Emperor Akihito.
- But, after a series of traditional rituals inside the imperial palace in Tokyo, his ascension has now been formalised.
- As about 2,000 people looked on, the curtains of the Imperial Throne called ‘Takamikura’ were opened, revealing Emperor Naruhito dressed in a traditional robe.
- The ceremony comes as Japan reels from the effects of Typhoon Hagibis, which left almost 80 people dead.
- A celebration parade was postponed out of respect for the victims and their families.
US wins ownership of North Korean vessel
- The United States Justice Department said, that the United States has been awarded ownership of a North Korean cargo ship that was seized for violating international sanctions. The court ordered the vessel to be forfeited to the US government and for the Treasury Department to dispose of it.
- The Wise Honest, one of the largest cargo ships in North Korea’s fleet, was caught carrying a three million US Dollar shipment of coal, got in Indonesia in April 2018 and seized by the US a year later.
- The seizure came with nuclear talks deadlocked since the collapse of the second summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Hanoi last February.
IAF fires two BrahMos missiles at Trak Island in Andaman Nicobar
- Two BrahMos surface to surface missiles were fired by Indian Air Force at Trak Island in the Andaman Nicobar group of islands.
- The missiles were fired on 21 & 22 October, 2019. The twin firings have been carried out as a part of the routine operational training.
- The missile engaged the designated mock targets close to 300 Kilometres away.
- A direct hit on the target was achieved in both cases.
- The firing of the missiles has enhanced Air force capability to engage the grounds targets with pinpoint accuracy from a mobile platform.
People’s participation a guiding tenet of policymaking for government: PM Narendra Modi
- People’s Participation remained a guiding tenet of policymaking for his government. The Prime Minister stated this during his meeting with JP Morgan International Council in New Delhi on 22 October, 2019.
- The Council comprises global statesmen like former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, former Australian Prime Minister John Howard and former US Secretaries of State Henry Kissinger and Condoleezza Rice.
- During his meeting, Mr Modi discussed with global statesmen his vision for making India a five trillion dollar economy by 2024.
- The development of world-class physical infrastructure, improvements in affordable health care and providing quality education are some other policy priorities for his government.
- On the foreign policy front, India continued to work together with its strategic partners and close neighbours to build a fair and equitable multipolar world order.
- After 2007, this was the first time that the International Council met in India.
Indian Railways instal most advanced Electronic Interlocking System on Grand Chord route
- Indian Railways has installed the most advanced Electronic Interlocking System on the Grand Chord route.
- The measure is expected to help Indian Railways speed up trains and achieve the objective of reducing the travel time between Delhi and Howrah to about 12 hours from the existing 17 to 19 hours.
- Grand Chord is part of the Howrah-Gaya-Delhi line and Howrah-Allahabad-Mumbai line. It acts as a link between Sitarampur in West Bengal and Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyay Junction, Uttar Pradesh, and covers a stretch of 450 kilometres falling in North Central Railway Zone.
- The new Electronic system has replaced outdated 65-year old mechanical signalling system at Tundla Junction in Uttar Pradesh on the route.
- The work will go a long way in improving punctuality of trains on New Delhi-Howrah mainline and benefits will be manifold during the incoming foggy season through safe and detention free handling of trains at Tundla Junction.
Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) approves appointments in multiple ministries
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet on 21 October, 2019 approved the appointment of Odisha cadre IAS officer Tuhin Kanta Pandey as Secretary Department of Investment and Public Asset Management.
- 1984 batch officer Braj Raj Sharma has been appointed Chairman of Staff Selection Commission while 1986 batch officer Sanjeev Nandan Sahai will be the new Power Secretary.
- 1987 batch IAS officer Pankaj Kumar will be the new CEO of Unique Identification Authority of India and Madhya Pradesh Cadre IAS Pramod Kumar Das has been appointed Minority Affairs Secretary.
- Himachal Cadre IAS Sanjeev Gupta will be the Secretary, Inter-State Council Secretariat and Sailesh will be Secretary, Department of Public Enterprises.
- 1986 batch officer Alok Tandon will be Secretary in Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances and Nagendra Nath Sinha will be Secretary, Department of Border Management in the Home Ministry.
- Rajesh Bhushan will be Secretary (Coordination) in the Cabinet Secretariat.
50th IFFI announced films for Open Air Screening
- The 50th International Film Festival of India announced the films in Open Air Screening section of the festival.
- The International Film Festival of India (IFFI), Goa celebrates its Golden Jubilee Edition from 20th- 28th November 2019.
- Every year IFFI organises Open Air Screenings to bring the best of Cinematic experience to the Cine enthusiasts.
- The theme would be ‘The Joy of Cinema’.
Nepalese Government Officers’ 2nd group training
- The second group of 18 officers of the Government of Nepal have started their training on Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism.
- It is being held at Regional Centre of National Academy of Customs, Indirect Taxes and Narcotics (NACIN) in Bengaluru.
- NACIN is a premier training institute of India in the field of financial investigations and anti- money laundering matters.
Panchayati Raj Minister to confer National Panchayat Awards 2019
- Minister of Panchayati Raj Narendra Singh Tomar will confer the National Panchayat Awards 2019 at a function in New Delhi.
- The Awards will be given to awardee Panchayats and States in various categories.
- These categories are Deen Dayal Upadhyay Panchayat Sashaktikaran Puraskar, Nanaji Deshmukh Rashtriya Gaurav Gram Sabha Puraskar, Gram Panchayat Development Plan Award, Child-Friendly Gram Panchayats Award and e-Panchayat Puraskar.
- As many as 246 awards will be given out of which 195 awards will be given in Deen Dayal Upadhyay Panchayat Sashaktikaran Puraskar category and six states will be awarded in e- Panchayat Puraskar category.
- The awards are given to the best performing Panchayats in recognition of their good work at different levels including the delivery of services and sanitation.
BWF French Open: Saina Nehwal, Sameer Verma, Parupalli Kashyap, Kidambi Srikanth to be seen in action in first round
- Saina Nehwal will face Hong Kong’s Cheung Ngan Yi in the opening round of Women Singles at the BWF French Open Super 750 tournament in Paris.
- Among other Indians, Sameer Verma, Parupalli Kashyap and Kidambi Srikanth will also be seen in action in Men’s Singles.
- Subhankar Dey and P.V.Sindhu advanced to the second round. Subhankar defeated Indonesia’s Tommy Sugiarto in the first round of men’s singles while P V Sindhu beat Canada’s Michelli in the opening game of women’s singles.
- In Women’s doubles, the pair of Ashwini Ponnappa and N Sikki Reddy is in the fray.
- The men’s doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty and the duo of Manu Attri and B Sumeeth Reddy will also participate in the tournament. In mixed doubles, the duo of Satwiksairaj and Ashwini is in the fray. Their doubles matches are also slated .
Sourav Ganguly takes over as BCCI President
- One of India’s most decorated captains Sourav Ganguly takes over as the 39th President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) in Mumbai on 23 October, 2019 at its Annual General Meeting.
- This will end the 33-month reign of the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators (CoA). Mr Ganguly is the unanimous nomination for the post of BCCI President along with Union Home Minister Amit Shah’s son Jay as the Secretary.
- Mahim Verma of Uttarakhand is the new Vice President.
- Former BCCI President and current Union Minister of State for Finance Anurag Thakur’s younger brother Arun Dhumal is the Treasurer.
- Kerala’s Jayesh George is the Joint Secretary.
- Mr Ganguly will have a curtailed tenure of around nine months as he would need to demit office by the end of July, 2020.
- This will be in consonance with the provisions of a new constitution which makes ‘Cooling-Off’ period mandatory after six years in office.