Weekly GK Current Affairs Quiz October 21 to October 27th, 2019: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. Instantly obtain Latest Daily and Weekly Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Weekly Current affairs from October 21st to 27th October 2019 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation.
GK or General Awareness section can be the easiest section in all government, banking, SSC, railways exams when followed regularly. Aspirants of competitive exams such as IBPS, UPSC, SSC, SSC CPO, SSC CGL, Bank PO, Bank Clerk, IBPS, Railways, Government Jobs, UPPSC, MPSC, APPSC, TSPSC, AP/TS/UP/Bihar/Delhi/All States SI, Constables etc can refer to the general knowledge questions and answers daily from this series of articles.
GK Weekly Current Affairs Quiz October 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27th 2019 for Banking, UPSC, Railways, RRB NTPC, SSC and All Competitive Exams
Q.Which institute has topped the 2020 QS India University Rankings?
(a) IIT Bombay
(b) IIT Madras
(c) IIT Kharagpur
(d) IIT Roorkee
Answer: (a) IIT Bombay
Q.On which date, the 2019 edition of World Development Information Day (WDID) is observed?
(a) October 25
(b) October 26
(c) October 24
(d) October 27
Answer: (c) October 24
Q.On which date, the 2019 edition of World Polio Day (WPD) is observed?
(a) October 24
(b) October 26
(c) October 28
(d) October 23
Answer: (a) October 24
Q.What is the India’s rank at the 2019 Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index (MMGPI)?
Answer: (d) 32nd
Q.Which country will host the first edition of expanded 24-team FIFA World Cup for Clubs in 2021?
(d) Sri Lanka
Answer: (c) China
Q.Who among the following has been awarded the Sakharov Prize by the European Parliament for his attempts to “foster dialogue” between Chinese people and the Uighur?
(a) Chiang Kai-shek
(b) Deng Xiaoping
(c) Mao Zedong
(d) Yao Ming
(e) Ilham Tohti
Answer: (e) Ilham Tohti
Explanation: The European Parliament has awarded the Sakharov Prize to Uighur intellectual Ilham Tohti for his attempts to “foster dialogue” between Chinese people and the Uighur.
Q.What is India’s rank in the Ease of Doing business Rankings 2020 released by World Bank?
Answer: (b) 63rd
Explanation: India has jumped 14 places and has been ranked at 63rd among 190 countries in the Ease of Doing business Rankings 2020 released by World Bank.
Q.Union Minister of State for Home Affairs G. Kishan Reddy has released the BPRD’s flagship publication “Data on Police Organizations” (DoPO 2018) in New Delhi. What does “D” stands for in BPRD?
Answer: (e) Development
Explanation: Union Minister of State for Home Affairs G. Kishan Reddy has released the Bureau of Police Research and Development’s flagship publication “Data on Police Organizations” (DoPO 2018) in New Delhi.
Q.Which of the following countries topped the Ease of Doing business Rankings 2020 released by World Bank?
(a) New Zealand
Answer: (a) New Zealand
Explanation: New Zealand has topped the Ease of Doing business Rankings 2020 released by World Bank.
Q. The BJP won how many seats in Maharashtra assembly elections 2019?
Answer: (a) 105
Explanation: The BJP won 105 seats in the Maharashtra assembly elections 2019, while its ally the Shiv Sena won 56 seats. Among the opposition, the Congress won from 44 constituencies and the NCP won in 54.
Q.India has been ranked at which position in the 2019 Ease of Doing Business rankings?
Answer: (b) 63rd
Explanation: India was ranked at the 63rd position in the 2019 Ease of Doing Business rankings. The rankings were released by the World Bank on October 24, 2019. In 2014, India was ranked at the 77th position.
Q.Which state has topped the list of crimes against women as per the latest report released by NCRB?
(b) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: (b) Uttar Pradesh
Explanation: National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) has released a report on criminal cases that happened in India between 2017-18. Out of the total 3, 59,849 cases, Uttar Pradesh alone had 56,011 cases. Maharashtra with 31979 cases and West Bengal with 30,002 cases were second and third on the list.
Q.Who has become the third Indian batsman to enter the top list in all formats of cricket?
(a) Virat Kohli
(b) Ajinkya Rahane
(c) Rohit Sharma
(d) Ravindra Jadeja
Answer: (c) Rohit Sharma
Explanation: Rohit Sharma has become the third Indian batsman to enter the top 10 list in all formats of cricket. His memorable run during India’s test series against South Africa led him to jump 12 positions to be ranked 10th in the ICC Test Player Rankings. The only two Indian batsmen who have entered the top 10 list in all formats of cricket include Virat Kohli and Gautam Gambhir.
Q.The United Nations has launched which campaign in India to eradicate hunger?
(a) No to Hunger
(b) Stop Malnutrition
(c) United against hunger
(d) Feed our Future
Answer: (d) Feed our Future
Explanation: The United Nations World Food Program (UNWFP) has launched an advertising campaign “Feed Our Future” with Bollywood in India. The objective of this campaign is to create awareness and take steps against hunger and malnutrition in India.
Q.India’s score has improved from 67.3 in 2018 to ______________ in 2019, as per The Doing Business 2020 study.
Answer: (c) 71.0
Explanation: India’s score has improved from 67.3 (in 2018) to 71.0 (in 2019), as per The Doing Business 2020 study.
Q.India signed the Kartarpur Sahib Corridor Agreement with which country?
Answer: (d) Pakistan
Q.What is the India’s rank in the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business 2020 report?
Answer: (c) 63rd
Q.Who became the first Indian man to win gold at Wushu World Championships?
(a) Rajvir Singh
(b) Santosh Kumar
(c) Narender Grewal
(d) Praveen Kumar
Answer: (d) Praveen Kumar
Q.Who has been appointed as new Chairman of Staff Selection Commission (SSC)?
(a) Braj Raj Sharma
(b) Pankaj Kumar
(c) Pooja Kadian
(d) Sandhyarani Devi
Answer: (a) Braj Raj Sharma
Q.Who is the author of the book “Ten Studies in Kashmir: History and Politics”?
(a) Jnan Chandra Ghosh
(b) Rajeshwar Acharya
(c) Kashi Nath Pandit
(d) Gita Mehta
Answer: (c) Kashi Nath Pandit
Q.When is the National Unity Day celebrated in India?
(a) 25th October
(b) 27th October
(c) 29th October
(d) 31st October
Answer: (d) 31st October
Explanation: The National Unity Day is celebrated on October 31, 2019 to commemorate the birth anniversary of Ironman Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel. This year to mark the day, the Union Home Minister Amit Shah will launch the commemorative Run for Unity from Major Dhyanchand National Stadium, New Delhi.
Q.Kanya Sumangala Yojana was launched in which state?
(d) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: (d) Uttar Pradesh
Explanation: Kanya Sumangala Yojana was launched in Uttar Pradesh for the education, health and financial security of every girl child. The scheme will be launched by UP CM Yogi Adityanath on October 25, 2019.
Q.Indian Railways has launched ‘one touch ATVM’ at 42 suburban stations of Central Railway over _______________ Suburban Network.
Answer: (d) Mumbai
Explanation: Indian Railways has launched ‘one touch ATVM’ at 42 suburban stations of Central Railway over Mumbai Suburban Network.
Q.Which party won the maximum seats in the Haryana assembly elections 2019?
Answer: (a) BJP
Explanation: The Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) the maximum seats in Haryana – 40, however, the party could not secure majority to form government in the state. Total 46 seats are required to form a Government in Haryana.
Q.India has issued a travel advisory for Indians traveling to which nation?
(a) United States
Answer: (b) Turkey
Explanation: India has issued a travel advisory for Indian nationals travelling to Turkey. The advisory has been issued to request Indians to exercise utmost concern while travelling to the nation even though there have been no reports of any untoward incidents in Turkey involving Indians.
Q.Which city is hosting the 18th Summit of Heads of State and Government of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM)?
(a) New Delhi
Answer: (b) Baku
Explanation: The 18th Summit of Heads of State and Government of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) will be hosted by Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan from 25-26 October 2019.
Q.Which organization has released Ease of Doing business Rankings which ranks 190 countries?
(a) World Bank
(b) World Trade Organization
(c) International Monetary Fund
(d) Asian Development Bank
(e) World Economic Forum
Answer: (a) World Bank
Explanation: World Bank has released Ease of Doing business Rankings which includes 190 countries.
Q._____________________ celebrated its 58th Raising Day on 24th October 2019.
(a) Central Reserve Police Force
(b) Central Industrial Security Force
(c) Indo-Tibetan Border Police
(d) Border Security Force
(e) Railway Protection Force
Answer: (c) Indo-Tibetan Border Police
Explanation: Indo-Tibetan Border Police celebrated its 58th Raising Day on 24th October 2019.
Q.Chenani-Nashri Tunnel, Asia’s longest bi-directional highway tunnel has been renamed as Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Tunnel. It is located in?
(a) Arunachal Pradesh
(b) Andhra Pradesh
(d) Himachal Pradesh
(e) Jammu & Kashmir
Answer: (e) Jammu & Kashmir
Explanation: Chenani-Nashri Tunnel, Asia’s longest bi-directional highway tunnel has been renamed as Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Tunnel. It is located in Jammu & Kashmir.
Q.Which of the following countries ranked last in the Ease of Doing business Rankings 2020 released by World Bank?
Answer: (d) Somalia
Explanation: Somalia ranked last in the Ease of Doing business Rankings 2020 released by World Bank.
GK Weekly Current Affairs One Liner October 21st to 27th 2019
World Polio Day: 24 October
World Polio Day is celebrated on 24 October annually to raise awareness about the polio disease and efforts for eradication.
- polio-free certification along with the entire South-East Asia Region of WHO on 27th March It was initiated by Rotary International over a decade ago to commemorate the birth of Jonas Salk, who developed a vaccine against poliomyelitis.
- India received 2014 by WHO.
- January 2017 marks six years since the last case of polio was reported in India.
Disarmament Week: 24-30 October
Disarmament Week is an annual event that is observed from 24 October to 30 October in various parts of the world.
- The observance revolves around raising public awareness of the dangers of the arms race and the need for international disarmament.
- An important focus of this week is trying to convince nations to only keep the weapons they need for an adequate police force.
ITBP to have two new commands
The Union Cabinet approved the proposal of cadre review of Group “A” General Duty (Executive) cadre and non-GD cadre of Indo- Tibetan Border Police (ITBP).
- It approved the creation of two new commands – Western Command at Chandigarh and Eastern Command at Guwahati – to be headed by Additional Director General and assisted by Inspector General.
- The newly created posts will be filled up according to recruitment rules.
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police Force was conceptualised in the wake of the Chinese aggression on the country’s northern borders in 1962.
Yogi Adityanath to launch Kanya Sumangala Yojana
Uttar Pradesh government launched its flagship scheme Kanya Sumangla Yojna.
- The scheme will provide an amount of 15 thousand rupees in a phased manner to every family in which a girl child takes birth.
- The scheme has been designed in a way that parents have to take care of the girl child’s health and education to get the benefit.
- Funds will be released in instalments when a girl child completes various achievements, like vaccination, admission in class 1, 5 and 9, graduation.
- At birth Rs. 2000 will be transferred into account and if a girl has completed all her first-year vaccinations on April 1, 2019, she will be entitled to 1 thousand rupees.
BJP wins Maharashtra with Shiv Sena, emerges single-largest party in Haryana
The results for 286 Assembly constituencies of Maharashtra were declared with the BJP securing a total of 105 seats and its alliance partner Shiv Sena, 56 seats.
- As per the Election Commission, BJP secured 105 seats, Shiv Sena (56), Congress (44) and the Nationalist Congress Party (54).
- The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) won 40 seats in the Haryana Assembly election, Congress 31 and Dushyant Chautala-led Jannayak Janata Party (JJP) bagged 10 out of total 90 seats.
Govt Accords ‘Maharatna’ Status to Hindustan Petroleum, Power Grid Corp
The government accorded ‘Maharatna’ status to state-owned Hindustan Petroleum and Power Grid Corporation.
- Two separate orders to this effect were issued by the Department of Public Enterprises, under the Ministry of Heavy Industry and Public Enterprises.
- The grant of Maharatna status to the PSUs will impart enhanced powers to their Boards to take financial decisions.
Godavarthi Venkata Srinivas accredited as India’s High Commissioner to the Gambia
Diplomat Godavarthi Venkata Srinivas has been appointed as India’s next High Commissioner to the Gambia.
- Srinivas, who is already serving as the Ambassador to Senegal, was concurrently accredited as the High Commissioner to the Gambia, with residence in Dakar.
- He is a 1993-batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer.
Arvind Singh appointed the chairman of AAI
Senior IAS officer Arvind Singh has been appointed as the chairman of Airports Authority of India.
- Singh is at present working in his cadre-state Maharashtra.
- He has been appointed as the chief of AAI in the rank and pay of additional secretary.
Sukhbir Sandhu appointed as NHAI Chairman
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi appointed Sukhbir Singh Sandhu as the Chairman of the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI).
- Sandhu is a 1988 batch IAS officer from the Uttarakhand Cadre.
- He was the additional secretary at the department of education and will replace NN Sinha, who was appointed as the secretary, department for border management.
Bibek Debroy pens translations of mythological texts Markendya Purana and The Bhagavad Gita
Economist and author Bibek Debroy have come out with English translations of two Hindu mythological texts “Markendya Purana” and “The Bhagavad Gita”, publishers Penguin announced.
- The book is a special bilingual edition of the foundational text on “dharma” and the Hindu philosophy.
- It features a “verse-for-verse translation, providing the original Sanskrit verses alongside the English rendition”.