Daily Current Affairs – National
National Press Day: 16 November
National Press Day is observed every year on 16th November every year.
- It is symbolic of a free and responsible press.
- On this day the Press Council of India started functioning as a moral watchdog to ensure that the press maintains high standards and is not fettered by any influence or threats.
- The Press Council of India has announced the names of the winners of National Awards for Excellence in Journalism for the year 2019.
- Eminent journalist and Chairman of Rajasthan Patrika Gulab Kothari has been selected for Raja Ram Mohan Roy Award for his outstanding contribution in the field of journalism.
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 18th November 2019
- Daily Top Current Affairs 17th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 17th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 16th November 2019
- Daily Top Current Affairs 16th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 15th November 2019
- Daily Top Current Affairs 15th November 2019
First Night trial of surface-to-surface medium-range missile Agni-II conducted successfully
India has successfully conducted the first night trial of Agni-II, its versatile surface-to-surface medium-range nuclear-capable missile from Dr Abdul Kalam Island off Odisha coast.
- Agni-II, an intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBM), has already been inducted into the armed forces.
- This was the first time that the sophisticated missile was testfired at night.
- The two-stage ballistic missile can carry a payload of 1000 kg over a distance of 2000 km.
CBI sets up OCSAE Unit to counter the growing menace of child porn
The Central Bureau of Investigation has a set up an Online Child Sexual Abuse and Exploitation (OCSAE) Prevention and Investigation Unit at its headquarter in New Delhi.
- It has been set up to counter the growing menace of child porn on the internet.
- The new specialized unit under the Special Crime Investigation Wing of the agency will collect intelligence on those who are allegedly creating and transmitting such material on the internet.
- The unit also looks an eye on who is browsing and downloading such material.
Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurates the National Tribal Festival ‘Aadi Mahotsav’
Union Minister for Home Affairs, Shri Amit Shah inaugurated the National Tribal Festival ‘Aadi Mahotsav’, in New Delhi.
- The theme of the event is “A celebration of the spirit of tribal culture, craft, cuisine and commerce”.
- The Aadi Mahotsav is an effort to take tribal commerce to the next level of digital and electronic transactions.
- The tribal textiles manufactured by master tribal craftsmen from Jammu and Kashmir in the North to Tamil Nadu in the South and from Gujarat in the West to Nagaland/Sikkim in the East will be the main attractions.
- For the first time, the Aadi Mahotsav is showcasing a wide range of products from the tribal artisans from Leh in Ladakh.
National Mission ‘NISHTHA’ launched in J&K
National Initiative for School Heads’ and Teachers’ Holistic Advancement (NISHTHA) was launched in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- ‘NISHTHA’ is a pioneering scheme being launched across the country, with a total of 86000 Elementary teachers of Government Schools being trained in J&K under the programme.
- NISHTHA is a capacity building programme for “Improving Quality of School Education through Integrated Teacher Training”.
- It aims to build competencies among all the teachers and school principals at the elementary stage.
- NISHTHA is the world’s largest teachers’ training programme of its kind.
Mumbai tops, Delhi at bottom of tap water quality ranking
Mumbai has topped the quality of tap water ranking released by Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan.
- Delhi is at the bottom, with all 11 samples failing on 19 parameters.
- The Minister released the much-awaited investigation report of samples of drinking water taken from capitals of 20 states across the country in New Delhi.
- None of the samples drawn from Chandigarh, Thiruvananthapuram, Patna, Bhopal, Guwahati, Bengaluru, Gandhi Nagar, Lucknow, Jammu, Jaipur, Dehradun, Chennai and Kolkata complied with the requirements of the Indian Standard.
- Drinking water testing will be completed by January 15, next year in 100 smart cities.
Daily Current Affairs – Business
WPI inflation eases to 0.16 per cent in October
Wholesale prices based inflation eased further to 0.16 per cent in October, as against 0.33 per cent in September.
- Government data showed subdued prices of non-food articles and fall in prices of manufactured items.
- Annual inflation, based on monthly wholesale price index (WPI), was at 5.54 per cent in October last year.
- However, retail inflation for the month hit a 16-month high of 4.62 per cent due to soaring prices of food articles, including fruits and vegetables.
Daily Current Affairs – Appointments
Justice Akil Abdulhamid Kureshi sworn in as Chief Justice of Tripura High Court
Justice Akil Abdulhamid Kureshi was sworn in as the new Chief Justice of the High Court of Tripura.
- Governor Ramesh Bais administered the oath of office at old Raj Bhavan in Agartala.
- Justice Kureshi was appointed as the Chief Justice on November 8.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
63rd National Shotgun Shooting Championship 2019 starts
The 63rd National Shotgun Shooting Championship Competitions 2019 begins in New Delhi.
- Several top shooters including Angad Bajwa, Mairaj Ahmad Khan, Kynan Chennai, Shreyasi Singh and Manavjit Singh Sandhu are expected to take part in the fortnight-long competition.
- The women’s trap qualification will kick off the competition at the Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range.
- The women’s trap has seen 71 entries across the senior and junior categories.
India record best-ever 9 medal haul at World Para Athletics Championship
India has recorded the best-ever nine medals haul at the World Para Athletics Championship in Dubai.
- With two gold, two silver and five bronze, India secured 13 qualifying spots at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympics.
- India finished in the 24th position in the nine-day competition
- Until this edition, London 2017 had been India’s best-ever show where the para-athletes finished with five medals in the joint 34th place.
- China topped the medals tally with 59 medals including 25 gold.
- Brazil (39) and Great Britain (28) followed China. The USA ended fourth with 34 medals.