Daily Current Affairs – International
Bangladesh tops business bribery risk in South Asia
Bangladesh has the highest business bribery risk among South Asian countries, according to the Trace Bribery Matrix which releases annual ranking for 200 countries.
- The Matrix evaluates countries under four parameters which are business interaction with the government, anti-bribery deterrence, transparency and civil society oversight.
- Bangladesh has been placed at 178 positions among 200 countries in terms of business bribery risk.
- In South Asia, Pakistan and Afghanistan are the only countries where the bribery risk is ‘high’.
- In terms of risk score, India ranked 78th, Pakistan 153rd, Afghanistan 168th, and Myanmar ranked 157th on the index.
- Overall, according to this year’s TRACE Matrix data, Somalia, South Sudan, North Korea, Yemen and Venezuela presented the highest risk of bribe demands.
- New Zealand, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, and Finland presented the lowest bribery risk.
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 16th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 15th November 2019
- Daily Top Current Affairs 15th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 14th November 2019
- Daily Top Current Affairs 14th November 2019
Brazilian President Bolsonaro to be the chief guest at India’s Republic Day celebrations in 2020
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro will be the chief guest at India’s Republic Day celebrations parade in 2020.
- PM Modi met Bolsonaro on November 13 on the sidelines of the 11th BRICS Summit held in Brasilia.
- PM Modi invited the Brazilian President during the meeting.
- Bolsonaro has accepted Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s invitation for the same.
- The prime minister also welcomed the decision of the President to grant visa-free travel to Indian citizens.
Daily Current Affairs – National
Andhra Pradesh Celebration of Sand Week from Nov 14
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jaganmohan Reddy has directed district collectors to organise Sand Week celebrations from November 14 to 21.
- The chief minister reviewed the sand supply situation with the collectors through a video conference.
- Expressing satisfaction over measures initiated by the collectors in the last few days, the CM asked them to step up supplies.
Gujarat government announces Rs 700 crore relief package for distressed farmers
Gujarat government announced a special Rs 700 crore relief package.
- Around four lakh farmers will benefit from the relief.
- Farmers covered under the crop insurance scheme will get the assistance of Rs 13,500 per hectare of irrigated land in cases where crop damage is in excess of 33%.
- The assistance to farmers of un-irrigated land will be Rs 6,800 per hectare.
Assam Governor attends Brahmaputra Pushkaram
Assam Governor Prof Jagdish Mukhi attended the Brahmaputra Pushkaram at Sonaram Field in Guwahati.
- Brahmaputra Pushkaram and Sanskritik Somaroh festival is a great occasion to showcase our earnest gratitude to the life-giving prosperity of the Brahmaputra.
- He also insisted that it should be a moral responsibility to stop wastage and pollution of water and conscious effort should be made towards maintaining the purity of water.
Daily Current Affairs – Business
CCI nod for merger of BNP Paribas Mutual Fund and Bank of Baroda Mutual Fund
The Competition Commission of India (CCI) has approved the merger of the BNP Paribas (BNPP) Mutual Fund and the Baroda (BOB) Mutual Fund, under the Competition Act, 2002.
- The strategic alliance would allow both companies to leverage each other’s strengths to offer products specially designed for retail and institutional clients in India.
- Baroda Asset Management is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bank of Baroda, while BNP Paribas Asset Management India is an entity of BNP Paribas Asset Management Asia.
CCI approves Adani’s 23.5% stake-buy in Mumbai International Airport
CCI approved Adani Properties’ acquisition of 23.5% stake in the country’s second-busiest aerodrome Mumbai International Airport.
- Adani Properties has acquired the shares from Mauritius based Bid Services Division and ACSA Global Ltd.
- As per the combination notice filed with CCI, the transaction involves the acquisition of shares through two separate share purchase agreements.
- While Adani is buying 13.5% stake in Mumbai International Airport from Bid Services Division, the rest 10% has been acquired from ACSA.
Daily Current Affairs – Appointments
Lt Col Jyoti Sharma appointed as Army’s first female JAG officer to be deployed on foreign mission
Lieutenant Colonel Jyoti Sharma has been appointed as Indian Army’s first female Judge Advocate General officer to be deployed on a foreign mission.
- She will be appointed as the military legal expert with the government of Seychelles.
- Jyoti’s main role would be to update the government of Seychelles officials on the defence and military act.
- In September, Wing Commander Anjali Singh joined Indian Embassy in Russia as India’s first female military diplomat to be posted in any of the mission abroad.
Senior IAS officer Nilam Sawhney appointed Andhra Chief Secretary
Senior IAS officer Nilam Sawhney has been appointed as the new Chief Secretary of Andhra Pradesh.
- An order was issued by the General Administration Department appointing Sawhney, a 1984 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, to the top post.
- Sawhney is the first woman Chief Secretary of the Andhra Pradesh.
Daily Current Affairs – Awards
Robert De Niro to be conferred with SAG Life Achievement award
Veteran actor Robert De Niro has been honoured with the SAG Life Achievement Award for career achievement and humanitarian accomplishment.
- The actor, producer, and director will be given the prize at the upcoming Screen Actors Guild Awards, which are set to air on January 19 on TBS and TNT networks.
- De Niro is already the winner of a myriad of trophies, including two Oscars, a Golden Globe, a Kennedy Center Honor and the Cecil B. DeMille Award, among others.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
Star Spanish striker David Villa retires from football
Star striker David Villa, Spain’s top goal-scorer, announced he was quitting professional football at the end of the season.
- The 37-year-old is currently playing for Vissel Kobe in Japan after a glittering career at international and club level that has included stints at Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Valencia.
- Villa played in three World Cups and was a member of the Spanish side that lifted the trophy in 2010, and won the European Championships in 2008.
- He netted 59 times for Spain, a national record.
India set to host World Kabaddi cup 2019 in Punjab
The Punjab government will host the 2019 Kabaddi World Cup from December 1 to 9.
- This year’s tournament would be dedicated to the 550th birth anniversary of Sikh guru, Guru Nanak Dev Ji.
- Nine teams – India, USA, Australia, England, Sri Lanka, Kenya, New Zealand, Pakistan and Canada, are expected to take part in the tournament.