Daily Current Affairs – International
World Diabetes Day: 14 November
World Diabetes Day is the primary global awareness campaign focusing on diabetes mellitus and is held on 14 November each year.
- This day tries to create awareness about the importance of taking the necessary steps to control diabetes.
- Diabetes requires proper management of blood sugar levels to control the severe complications associated with it.
- For the year 2019, the theme is ‘Family and Diabetes’.
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 15th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 14th November 2019
- Daily Top Current Affairs 14th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 13th November 2019
- Daily Top Current Affairs 13th November 2019
Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil’s President, to be chief guest at Republic Day 2020
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro will be the chief guest at India’s Republic Day celebrations in January 2020.
- The Brazilian President agreed to the same during his bilateral talks with PM Narendra Modi on the sidelines of the BRICS Summit 2019.
Daily Current Affairs – National
Children’s Day: 14 November
In India, Children’s Day is celebrated on November 14 every year as a mark of respect to Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of independent India.
- Nehru was fondly called Chacha Nehru and was known for emphasising the importance of giving love and affection to children.
- After the death of Nehru, it was unanimously decided to celebrate his birthday as Bal Diwas or Children’s Day in India.
- Nehru was born on November 14, 1889, in Uttar Pradesh’s Prayagraj. He breathed his last on May 27, 1964.
- He became the prime minister on August 15, 1947, following an active role in the freedom struggle of the country.
Supreme Court puts CJI office in RTI ambit
The office of the Chief Justice of India would now fall within the ambit of the Right to Information Act.
- In a significant judgment, the Supreme Court said that the CJI’s office is a public authority under the RTI Act.
- A five-judge Constitution bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi upheld the 2010 Delhi High Court verdict and dismissed the appeals filed by Secretary-General of the Supreme Court and the Central Public Information officer of the apex court.
- It was RTI Activist S C Agrawal who first raised the issue of CJI’s office falling within RTI ambit.
Indo-Uzbekistan Joint Field Training Exercise (FTX)-2019 ‘Exercise Dustlik-2019’
The inaugural Indo-Uzbekistan Joint Field Training Exercise (FTX)-2019, Exercise DUSTLIK-2019 culminated on 13 November 2019.
- In the joint exercise which began on 04 November 2019 training was focused on counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in the urban scenario as well as sharing of expertise on skills at arms, both combat shooting and experiences in counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism.
- The exercise also provided an opportunity to armies of all nations for greater cultural understanding, sharing experiences and strengthening mutual trust and cooperation.
- It was conducted at Chirchiq Training Area, Uzbekistan.
Two day International Conference on Yoga for Heart care to be organised at Mysuru, Karnataka
Ministry of AYUSH is organizing the International Conference on Yoga on 15-16 November 2019 at Mysuru, Karnataka.
- The Chief Minister of Karnataka Shri B.S. Yediyurappa will inaugurate the two-day conference on 15th November 2019 in the presence of Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for AYUSH and Defence, Shri Shripad Yesso Naik.
- The theme of the conference is ‘Yoga for Heart Care’.
- More than 700 national and international delegates are expected to participate in the conference spread over ten technical sessions involving fifty resource persons & experts.
- The Governor of Karnataka Shri Vajubhai Vala will be the Chief Guest at the valedictory function of the conference.
Rajnath Singh to attend Maitree Diwas celebrations in Arunachal Pradesh
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh visit Arunachal Pradesh to attend the Maitree Diwas celebrations at Tawang.
- Maitree Diwas (Civil-Military Friendship) will be celebrated for two days at Gyalwa Tsangyang Gyatso High Altitude Stadium Tawang.
- This will be the 11th edition of Maitree Diwas which celebrates civil-military friendship in the area.
- Rajnath Singh will also inaugurate Sisseri River Bridge and National Highway-52 in East Siang District.
UP govt launches e-Ganna app, web portal
Uttar Pradesh government has launched a dedicated web portal and a mobile application, e-Ganna App, for sugarcane farmers of the state.
- Cane supply slip will now be issued to the farmers by sugar mills online.
- The web portal and e-Ganna App will help in eradicating cane mafia and middleman and strengthen cane development societies.
- The portal and the App will ensure transparency in the process of getting slips, and facilitate sugarcane supply by farmers to mills and check irregularities.
Justice Muhammad Raffiq takes oath as Chief Justice of Meghalaya HC
Justice Muhammad Raffiq took oath as Chief Justice of Meghalaya High Court.
- Meghalaya Governor Tathagata Roy administered the oath of office and secrecy at Raj Bhavan in Shillong.
- Mr Raffiq succeeds Ajay Kumar Mittal who is now the Chief Justice of Madhya Pradesh High Court.
- He will be the eighth Chief Justice of the Meghalaya High Court.
Nita Ambani becomes 1st Indian trustee to be elected to Board of New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art
Educationist, philanthropist and businesswoman Nita Ambani has been named an honorary trustee of The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- She is the first Indian to be so honoured.
- In 2016, Forbes listed her as one of the 50 most powerful businesswomen in Asia.
- She is a member of the International Olympic Committee and is the first Indian woman to serve in that role.
Supreme Court refers Sabarimala review petitions to larger 7-judge bench
- The Supreme Court has referred the Sabarimala review petitions to a larger 7-judge bench.
- The verdict was delivered by 3:2 majority with three judges in favour including the CJI and Justices AM Khanwilkar and Indu Malhotra and two Judges in dissent.
- Justices DY Chandrachud and RF Nariman gave their dissent to the decision saying that when a judgment is declared, it is final.
Supreme Court dismisses Rafale review petitions
- The Supreme Court has dismissed all Rafale review petitions, declining an independent probe into corruption allegations in the Union Government’s Rafale deal.
- The apex court dismissed the petitions saying that they lacked merit.
Delhi Pollution: All Delhi schools to be shut till November 15
- All schools in Delhi will remain closed till November 15 due to the worsening air pollution level.
- The air quality in the capital has dipped for the third time this season forcing the government to take emergency steps to tackle the issue.
Chandrayaan-3: ISRO’s another bid to land on Moon
- ISRO plans to send yet another mission to the moon, Chandrayaan-3.
- The moon mission is expected to comprise just a lander and a rover, as the Chandrayaan-2 orbiter is functioning perfectly.
- ISRO is expected to begin work on the programme by November 2020.
Daily Current Affairs – Awards
India bags first position at BRICS Young Scientist forum
India has received the first prize at BRICS Young Scientist forum’s conclave in Brazil.
- The fourth conclave was held in Brazil from 6- 8 November.
- Ravi Prakash, who is a PhD scholar from Indian Council of Agricultural Research-National Dairy Research Institute, has bagged the first position for inventing an affordable indigenously designed milk chilling unit for small to marginal rural dairy farmers.
- The first BRICS Young Scientist Conclave hosted by India in September 2016.
- South Africa hosted the third Conclave during June 2018 in Durban.