GK Current Affairs Quiz 04th November 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. Instantly obtain Latest Daily Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 04 November 2019 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation.
GK or General Awareness section can be the easiest section in all government, banking, SSC, railways exams when followed regularly. Aspirants of competitive exams such as IBPS, UPSC, SSC, SSC CPO, SSC CGL, Bank PO, Bank Clerk, IBPS, Railways, Government Jobs, UPPSC, MPSC, APPSC, TSPSC, SI, Constables etc can refer to the general knowledge questions and answers daily from this series of articles.
Todays GK Current Affairs Quiz 04-11-2019 (Daily) for Banking, UPSC, Railways, RRB NTPC, SSC and All Competitive Exams
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 02nd October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 01st October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 31st October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 30th October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 29th October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 28th October 2019
- Weekly GK Current Affairs Quiz October 21st to 27th
Q. Government e-Marketplace (GeM) has signed MoU with ___________________ and ______________ . The MoU will facilitate a cashless, paperless and transparent payment system on the portal and would create an efficient procurement system for government entities.?
(a) Bank of Baroda and Bank of India
(b) Indian Bank and Canara Bank
(c) Central Bank of India and UCO Bank
(d) Indian Overseas Bank and Union Bank of India
(e) Allahabad Bank and Punjab National Bank
Answer: (b) Indian Bank and Canara Bank
Explanation: Government e-Marketplace (GeM) has signed MoU with Indian Bank and Canara Bank. The MoU will facilitate a cashless, paperless and transparent payment system on the portal and would create an efficient procurement system for government entities.
Q. Name the Film producer who was one of the owners of Venus Records and Tapes, recently passed away?
(a) Raj Kishore
(b) Srivallabh Vyas
(c) Narendra Jha
(d) Champak Jain
(e) Arjun Hingorani
Answer: (d) Champak Jain
Explanation: Film producer Champak Jain passed away. He was one of the owners of Venus Records and Tapes which produced hit films like the 1994 blockbuster Main Khiladi Tu Anari starring Saif Ali Khan and Akshay Kumar.
Q. The 50th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) will honour superstar ______________ with a special Icon of Golden Jubilee Award.
(a) Aamir Khan
(c) Amitabh Bachchan
(d) Shahrukh Khan
(e) Salman Khan
Answer: (b) Rajinikanth
Explanation: The 50th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) will honour superstar Rajinikanth with a special Icon of Golden Jubilee Award
Q. Name the Foreign actress who will be conferred to Life Time Achievement Award in 50th International Film Festival of India (IFFI)?
(a) Isabelle Huppert
(b) Juliette Binoche
(c) Audrey Tautou
(d) Catherine Deneuve
(e) Marion Cotillard
Answer: (a) Isabelle Huppert
Explanation: The 50th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) will honour the Life Time Achievement Award for a Foreign Artiste will be conferred to French Actress Isabelle Huppert.
Q. Name the city which was designated by UNESCO as a member of UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) in the field of GASTRONOMY?
Answer: (d) Hyderabad
Explanation: UNESCO has designated Hyderabad as a member of UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) in the field of GASTRONOMY.
Q. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo presented the prestigious Award for Corporate Excellence to ________________.
(a) Hindustan Coca-Cola
(b) Tata Coffee
(c) Pepsico India
(d) Carlsberg India
(e) Tata Global Beverages
Answer: (c) Pepsico India
Explanation: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo presented the prestigious Award for Corporate Excellence to Pepsico India. This award is given for its efforts to save more than 17 billion of litres of water by conducting various community programs and replenished over 5 billion litres of water, by impacting 60,000 community members.
Q. Which Bollywood actor will be awarded ‘Icon of Golden Jubilee of IFFI’ award this year?
a) Amitabh Bachchan
c) Pawan Kalyan
Answer: (b) Rajinikanth
Explanation: On November 2, 2019, Union Minister of Information & Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar announced that Indian Superstar S Rajinikanth has been selected for the newly constituted award ‘Icon of Golden Jubilee of IFFI’.
Q. Which among the following actors will be awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award at the International Film Festival of India 2019?
(a) Isabelle Hupert
(b) Meryl Streep
Answer: (a) Isabelle Huppert
Explanation: Prakash Javdekar announced that French actor Isabelle Hupert will be awarded Lifetime Achievement award at the Golden Jubilee of International Film Festival of India (IFFI). She will be conferred for her remarkable artistic skills and outstanding contribution to Cinema.
Q. Odisha was recently tagged with which state under the Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative of the Government?
Answer: (c) Maharashtra
Explanation: Odisha was tagged with Maharashtra recently for the Government’s Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative. Under this initiative, Government aims to build bonds between people of various States. The initiative is a tribute to Sardar Patel.
Q. Women soldiers will be inducted into the Indian Army by which year?
Answer: (c) 2021
Explanation: The Indian Army has already shortlisted the first batch of 100 women soldiers for the Corps of Military Police (CMP). These women will undergo military training in December 2019 and wwill be inducted into the CMP by end 2021.
Q. Which country has officially launched 5G Service?
Answer: (a) China
Explanation: China has officially launched 5G network services in 50 cities of the country. These cities include Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen among others. China has launched 5G network in the country by three state-owned companies – China Telecom, China Mobile and China Unicom.
Q. Which tech giant recently acquired Fitbit wearable?
Answer: (c) Google
Explanation: Google will soon be acquiring Fitbit at USD 2.1 Billion. Google’s parent company Alphabet will pay 7.35 USD per share. This decision will bring together Hardware, Software and Artificial Intelligence.
Q. Which neighbouring country of India is suffering from outbreak of ‘African Swine Fever’?
Answer: (b) China
Explanation: China is the largest swine producing country in the world where cases of ‘African Swine Fever’ (ASF) have been reported some time back. It was first found in Africa in 1920, hence it is named ‘African Swine Fever’.
Q. How many MoUs have been signed between India and Germany?
Answer: (a) 17
Explanation: German Chancellor Angela Merkel was on two day’s visit to India and both countries signed 17 MoUs during her visit. These agreements were included various areas like Ayurveda and yoga, migration, occupational diseases, start-ups and maritime technology.
Q. Name the city which was designated by UNESCO as a member of UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) in the field of FILM?
Answer: (a) Mumbai
Explanation: UNESCO has designated Mumbai as a member of UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) in the field of FILM.
Q. Which of the following country host the UN Climate Change Conference of the Parties(COP 25)?
Answer: (e) Spain
Explanation: The Spanish capital city of Madrid will host the UN Climate Change Conference (COP 25) from 2 to 13 December.
Q. Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the 21st North East Book Fair in ______________.
Answer: (c) Guwahati
Explanation: Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated the 21st North East Book Fair in Guwahati, Assam.
Q. The 25th Kolkata International Film Festival (KIFF) will start on November 8. _________________ is the Focus Country of this year’s festival.
Answer: (e) Germany
Explanation: The 25th Kolkata International Film Festival (KIFF) will start on November 8. Germany is the Focus Country of this year’s festival.
Q. Which of the following state of India cabinate passed a resolution to institute Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Award?
(a) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: (d) Punjab
Explanation: Punjab State Cabinet passed a unanimous resolution to institute Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Award for Promotion of Peace and Interfaith Understanding, in commemoration of the 550th Prakash Purb of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji.
Q. Kindly choose the name of the country which cancelled hosting of APEC and COP25 Summits?
Answer: (c) Chile
Explanation: COP25, United Nations Climate Change Conference, has been cancelled by Chile due to anti-government protest in the country. Chile has also cancelled hosting of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit.
Q. Which nation has recently committed to tackling money-laundering issues along with India?
Answer: (c) US
Explanation: India and America have recently showcased their commitment to boost cooperation in tackling money laundering. It was 7th meeting of the Economic and Financial Partnership (EFP) between both countries where they said that they will also combat terrorism financing.
Q. Which country is hosting COP25 Summit?
Answer: (c) Spain
Explanation: Chile has withdrawn its hosting of COP25 Summit due to nation-wide unrest. Now, Spain will organise the COP 25 Summit. Spain will be host the program from December 2-13 in Madrid on the same dates as the original schedule.
Q. Which of the following cities is hosting the 35th ASEAN Summit?
(a) New Delhi
Answer: (c) Bangkok
Explanation: Bangkok is hosting 35th ASEAN Summit from October 31, 2019, to November 4, 2019. PM Modi will be attending the summit on November 3-4, 2019.
Q. Choose the name of the organization which revealed that 1.3 million Indian payment cards are wrongly up for sale on the Dark Web.
(c) United Nations
Answer: (a) ZDNet
Explanation: According to a recent report released by ZDNet, about 1.3 million Indian debit and credit cards are on the on Joker’s Stash. It is one of the card shops on the dark web.
Q. On which ground first day-night test match will be played between Bangladesh and India?
(a) Arun Jaitley Stadium
(b) Eden Gardens Stadium
(c) Wankhede Stadium
(d) Nehru Stadium
Answer: (b) Eden Gardens Stadium
Explanation: As per the media reports, India’s first day-night Test match between India and Bangladesh will be played at the Eden Gardens Stadium (Kolkata) from 22 November. It will be played by a pink ball for the first time.
Q. Which of the following day is observed as International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists?
(a) 1 November
(b) 2 November
(c) 3 November
(d) 4 November
(e) 5 November
Answer: (b) 2 November
Explanation: The International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists is a UN-recognized day observed annually on 2 November.
Q. Gurudas Dasgupta was Deputy General Secretary of which party who recently passed away at the age of 83?
Answer: (a) CPI
Explanation: Gurudas Dasgupta was a veteran leader of the Communist Party of India (CPI). He passed away in Kolkata on October 31, 2019. Gurudas Dasgupta (83) was suffering from heart and kidney-related health issues.
Q. Which of the following actors has been selected for the ‘Icon of Golden Jubilee of IFFI’ award?
(a) Amitabh Bachchan
(c) Pawan Kalyan
Answer: (b) Rajinikanth
Explanation: Union Minister of Information & Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar on November 2, 2019 announced that Superstar S Rajinikanth has been selected for the newly constituted award ‘Icon of Golden Jubilee of IFFI’.
Q. Who will be honoured with the Lifetime Achievement award at the Golden Jubilee of International Film Festival of India?
(a) Isabelle Hupert
(b) Meryl Streep
Answer: (a) Isabelle Hupert
Explanation: French actor Isabelle Hupert is being conferred the prestigious Lifetime Achievement award at the Golden Jubilee of International Film Festival of India for her remarkable artistic skills and outstanding contribution to Cinema.
Q. India recently signed how many MoUs with Germany?
Answer: (a) 17
Explanation: India and Germany signed 17 MoUs during German Chancellor Angela Merkels two-day visit to India from October 31- November 2, 2019. The agreements were signed in areas including migration, Ayurveda and yoga, occupational diseases, maritime technology and start-ups.
Q. India recently committed to tackling money-laundering along with which nation?
Answer: (c) US
Explanation: India and the United States recently committed to boosting cooperation in tackling money laundering and combating terrorism financing during the 7th meeting of the Economic and Financial Partnership (EFP) between the top officials of the two countries.
Q. Which nation will be hosting COP25?
Answer: (c) Spain
Explanation: Spain is the new host of COP25, after Chile withdrew due to national unrest. Spain will be hosting the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP25) from December 2-13 in Madrid on the same dates as the original schedule.
Q. Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare launched __________________________ portal in New Delhi.
(a) Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 1.0
(b) Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 2.0
(c) Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 3.0
(d) Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 4.0
(e) Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 5.0
Answer: (b) Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 2.0
Explanation: Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare launched Intensified Mission Indradhanush (IMI) 2.0 portal in New Delhi. This portal start from December 2019-March 2020.
Q. Name the managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) who recently resigned from Dhanlaxmi Bank?
(a) C.K Gopinathan
(b) K.N Murali
(c) S.T Kannan
(d) Chella K Srinivasan
(e) T. Latha
Answer: (e) T. Latha
Explanation: Private sector lender Dhanlaxmi Bank managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) T. Latha has resigned. The bank’s board has accepted the resignation.
Q. Name the IIT college who recently collaborate with the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) for space technology cell (STC)?
(a) Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
(b) Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
(c) Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
(d) Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
(e) Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
Answer: (c) Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
Explanation: The Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IIT-D) will set up a space technology cell (STC) in collaboration with the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).
Todays GK Current Affairs One-Liners 04-11-2019 (Daily) for Banking, UPSC, Railways, RRB NTPC, SSC and All Competitive Exams
Pakistan’s hard-line cleric gives Prime Minister Imran Khan two-day ultimatum to resign
- Pakistan’s hard-line cleric Maulana Fazlur Rehman on 01 November, 2019 gave Prime Minister Imran Khan a two-day ultimatum to resign.
- only people of Pakistan and not any institution had the right to govern the country.
- “Gorbachev of Pakistan” Imran Khan must step down without testing the patience of peaceful protestors.
- The much-hyped rally led by the right-wing opposition leader’s Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl reached its final destination Islamabad on 31 October, 2019 after it set off from the Sindh province and left Lahore on 30 October, 2019.
- Along with Rehman, leaders of the Pakistan Muslim League – Nawaz, Pakistan People’s Party, and Awami National Party participated in the march held to topple Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf government led by Prime Minister Khan.
- The government has taken elaborate security arrangements to keep calm in the capital. Main roads have been completely or partially blocked by placing shipping containers.
Chinese and US trade negotiators reach consensus on principle, says China’s commerce ministry
- China’s commerce ministry has said that top Chinese and US trade negotiators have reached consensus on principles.
- Chinese Vice Premier Liu He had a phone call with US Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Mnuchin.
- They have conducted serious constructive discussions on properly addressing their core concerns and reached consensus on principles.
- China and the US have exchanged blows for over a year with tariffs now impacting hundreds of billions of dollars in two-way trade.
Thousands of demonstrators converge on Algiers for massive anti-government rally in Algeria
- Thousands of demonstrators converged on capital Algiers for a massive anti-government rally in Algeria.
- The protests coincided with a national holiday in Algeria to commemorate the start of the war in 1954 that led to the independence of North African country after 132 years of French colonial rule.
- Several thousand protesters gathered at the Grande Poste building in downtown Algiers.
- Algerian social media was flooded with calls to fill the streets of the capital today to mark the 65th anniversary of the start of the independence war and demand a new revolution.
- Calls to join protests have drawn parallels between the fight for independence launched on this day in 1954 and the current demonstrations.
- Police were deployed in force, blocking protesters on an avenue near the Grande Poste and making several arrests in the morning.
- Weekly demonstrations have taken place in Algiers and other parts of the country since 22nd February, forcing long-time President Abdelaziz Bouteflika to resign at the beginning of April.
- But demonstrations have not waned, instead turning their attention on the whole regime and amping up calls for an overhaul of the political system in place since 1962.
Fundamental Rights petition filed against signing of several agreements with US including MCC
- In Sri Lanka, a Fundamental Rights (FR) petition has been filed before the Supreme Court seeking an interim injunction against the signing of several agreements proposed with United States including the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC).
- The petitioner claimed that these agreements would be seriously harmful to the national security and sovereignty of the country and that this is a violation of the constitution.
- It has named President Maithripala Sirisena, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, Foreign Affairs Minister Tilak Marapana and Finance Minister Mangala Samaraweera as respondents.
- The petition came as Prime Minister Wickremsinghe said that MCC will be signed before elections while Leader of Opposition Mahinda Rajapaksa has stressed that the government should not sign the pact behind the back of the general public and the Parliament.
- No agreement should be hurriedly signed with a foreign government just days before a decisive Presidential election.
- Parliament will have ample opportunity to review the grant assistance agreement. Cabinet had this week approved the implementation of the grant, which consists of 480 million US dollars grant funds for traffic management in Colombo, road construction island-wide and land administration improvements covering the whole country.
Beto O’Rourke drops out of 2020 U.S. Presidential election
- Democrat Beto O’Rourke dropped out of the crowded 2020 U.S. presidential race on it had become clear his campaign did not have the resources to continue to seek his party’s nomination.
- Service to the country will not be as a candidate or as the nominee.
- Acknowledging this now is in the best interests of those in the campaign; it is in the best interests of this party as we seek to unify around a nominee; and it is in the best interests of the country.
- Mr. O’Rourke, 47, a former Texas congressman, was struggling to qualify for the next Democratic debate after months of poor showings in opinion polls and lackluster fundraising.
- Mr. O’Rourke, who became a Democratic rock star after almost winning a U.S. Senate seat in Texas in 2018, he would also not be running for the Senate next year, a decision that will disappoint some party leaders.
Thailand has reopened the cave for visitors after Wild Boars rescue
- Thailand has reopened the cave where 12 young footballers and their coach were trapped last year in a saga that captivated the world.
- The Tham Luang cave has been closed to visitors since the Wild Boars football team were rescued alive after nearly three weeks inside the grotto’s waterlogged corridors.
- But the world-famous cave in northern Chiang Rai province was re-opened on 01 November, 2019, drawing some 2,000 tourists in a single day.
Coal India to produce 750 million tonnes of coal next financial year: Pralhad Joshi
- State-owned Coal India will produce 750 million tonnes of coal in the next financial year and will offer around 10,000 new jobs to boost employment.
- Mr Joshi also directed Coal India to take necessary steps to achieve this goal in light of growing energy requirements of the nation.
- The minister announced this target during his address at the 45th foundation day of Coal India Limited in Kolkata.
- The PSU is currently given the target of producing 660 million tonnes of coal amounting to 82 per cent of the country’s coal output.
- The minister also urged Coal India to get associated with Jal Shakti Abhiyan to conserve water and provide treated mine water to the populace living in and around coal mining areas.
Vice President Venkaiah Naidu inaugurated 21st North East Book Fair in Guwahati
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu on 01 November, 2019 inaugurated the 21st North East Book Fair in Guwahati in presence of Assam Governor Prof. Jagdish Mukhi, Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal.
- Vice President Venkaiah Naidu laid stress on the use of mother tongue and relevance of books to stir one’s creativity and stimulate innovative and inventive ideas.
- The demographic dividend that we want to achieve cannot be realized without quality books as well as improved literacy and number of readers.
- The Book Fair which was inaugurated today will be open to the public for 12 days.
Women to be inducted in Army by 2021
- The first batch of 100 women will start training for the Corps of Military Police (CMP) in December and will be inducted by end 2021.
- On Permanent Commission (PC) for women, he said women officers commissioned from April 2020 onwards can opt for it in six streams.
- More than 100 women from all over the country has been shortlisted to join CMP.
- The first batch of 100 women selected will start training in December.
- It will take two years to train them. By the end of 2021, we will have the first batch of women in CMP.
- So far, women were being inducted only as officers and this is the first time they would be joining the army as the soldiers or “Personnel Below Officer Rank” (PBOR).
- The army plans to induct 1700 women MP over 17 years.
MNRE hosted 2nd Assembly of ISA in New Delhi
- Minister of Power, New & Renewable Energy and Skill Development Entrepreneurship hosted the 2nd Assembly of International Solar Alliance (ISA) on 31 Oct 2019.
- Delegations from 78 countries participated in this Assembly, this included 29 Ministerial delegations of which 25 are from ISA member countries, 2 from signatory countries and further 2 from prospective member countries.
India to open 100 additional airports by 2024
- India is planning to open 100 additional airports by 2024, as part of a plan to revive economic growth in Asia’s third-largest economy.
- The proposal, which includes starting 1,000 new routes connecting smaller towns and villages, was discussed at a meeting to review infrastructure needed by 2025.
- Steps to start a plane-lease financing business in the country was also discussed.
President Ram Nath Kovind arrives at Gangtok on a two-day visit to Sikkim
- President Ram Nath Kovind arrived in Gangtok on a two-day visit to Sikkim this afternoon. He was received at the Army Helipad, Libing near Gangtok by Sikkim Governor Ganga Prasad, Chief Minister Prem Singh Tamang, Speaker of Sikkim Legislative Assembly L.B. Das among others.
- After receiving the Guard of Honour from the 17th Battalion of the Rajput Regiment under 17 Mountain Division of the Army, the President proceeded to Raj Bhawan, Gangtok. Mr Kovind is scheduled to attend the Sikkim University’s Convocation Ceremony.
TRAI fixes ring timings for mobiles, landlines
- In a couple of weeks from now, mobile phone users will get 30 seconds to answer or reject a call, before it is considered a missed call.
- In a new regulation, the Telecom Authority of India (TRAI), has fixed the ring time for calls made to mobiles at 30 seconds, and those made to landlines at 60 seconds.
- The notification is likely to impact interconnect usage charges between operators.
- The new rules, which will come into effect after 15 days, bring to an end a face-off between two major operators — Reliance Jio and Bharti Airtel — over the issue. Last month, Bharti Airtel had cut the ringing time for calls made by its subscribers to 25 seconds from about 45 seconds, in retaliation to a similar move by rival Reliance Jio.
- Authority felt that appropriate value of duration of alert is to be 30 seconds for Cellular Mobile Telephone Service and 60 seconds for Basic Telephone Service.
India, US discuss measures to combat money laundering, terror financing
- India and the US have discussed a wide range of issues including measures to combat money laundering and terror financing.
- In a joint statement after 7th India-US Economic and Financial Partnership meeting in New Delhi, the two countries noted that they have developed a historic approach to tackling money laundering and combating terror financing.
- The Indian side at the meeting was led by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, while the US delegation was led by the Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.
- Both sides took stock of efforts undertaken to further improve mutual cooperation on a wide range of multilateral issues.
- Both sides not only discussed policies to stimulate growth but also deliberate on the significant steps were taken by the two countries to strengthen the financial sector.
- They also discussed investment in infrastructure and deepening of financial relations.
UNESCO designates Mumbai as member of UCCN in field of Films, Hyderabad in field of Gastronomy
- UNESCO has designated Mumbai as a member of UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) in the field of FILM and Hyderabad in the field of GASTRONOMY.
- UCCN, created in 2004, is a network of cities which are thriving, active centres of cultural activities in their respective countries.
- The UNESCO Creative Cities Network now counts a total of 246 cities.
- The member cities that form part of the Network come from all continents and regions with different income levels and populations.
- They work together towards a common mission: placing creativity and the creative economy at the core of their urban development plans to make cities safe, resilient, inclusive and sustainable, in line with the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- The 7 categories for recognition under UCCN are Crafts and Folk Arts, Design, Film, Gastronomy, Music, Media Arts and Literature. Previously, 3 Indian cities were recognized as members of UCCN, namely- Jaipur-Crafts and Folk Arts(2015), Varanasi-Creative city of Music (2015),Chennai-Creative city of Music(2017)
- Ministry of Culture is the nodal Ministry of Government of India for all matters in UNESCO relating to culture.
Russia’s Submarine test fired Missile
- Russia’s Knyaz Vladimir submarine of Borei-class vessel, test-fired its most advanced nuclear- powered missile named, Bulava intercontinental ballistic missile.
- It precisely hit the target range of 1000 km away in the Russian region of Kamchatka.
- The launch was conducted in the white sea of the northwest coast of Russia with a dummy payload.
ISRO to attempt second soft landing soon
- Chandrayaan-2 is not the end of India’s attempts to conquer the moon and the country’s space agency will demonstrate a successful soft landing in the near future, said Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) chief Dr K Sivan.
- The noted aerospace scientist was in the national capital as the chief guest at the 50th Convocation of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi.
- Chandrayaan-2, India’s second mission to the moon was launched on July 22, but failed to manage a soft landing on the moon, which would have been the country’s first.
- The space agency is also working on connecting Navik Signals to cellphones to develop several related applications needs. The testing of 200 tonne semi-cryogenic engine, to power ISRO’s Reusable Launch Vehicle, is also expected to begin soon.
- Urging students to take risks, he said, though ISRO faced failures while developing its own launch vehicles, it has managed to reach Mars and the Moon.
- ISRO signed a Member of Understanding (MoU) with IIT Delhi to set up ISRO Space Technology Cell at the campus and work on focused research projects in space technology. A commemorative stamp was also launched to mark the occasion.
First micro composting centre inaugurated at Thathaneri
- The first micro composting centre (MCC) was inaugurated by Minister of Cooperation Sellur K. Raju next to the crematorium at Thathaneri, Tamil Nadu.
- The facility will ensure that Madurai becomes a clean city and also binless.
- The centre, built at a cost of 80 lakh under the Swachh Bharat Mission, has 12 pits which will compost organic waste using the aerobic method.
Rajinikanth to receive Special Icon award at IFFI
- Actor Rajinikanth will receive the Special Icon award at the Golden Jubilee of International Film Festival of India, IFFI in Goa this month (November, 2019). Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar announced this in New Delhi today (02 November, 2019). He said, the award will be presented in recognition of his outstanding contribution to Indian cinema, during the past several decades.
- The Minister also announced that Life Time Achievement Award for a Foreign Artiste will be conferred on French Actress Isabelle Hupert. He said, during the 50th International Film Festival in Goa, 50 films of women directors will be showcased. Mr Javadekar said, among the 200 foreign films for IFFI, 24 Films are in the race for Oscar nominations.
Indian Hockey Men’s team beat Russia 4-2 in Olympic qualifiers
- In Men’s Hockey, India beat Russia 4 – 2 in first leg of Tokyo Olympics Qualifiers at Bhubaneswar in Odisha. Mandeep Singh’s brace and goals from Harmanpreet Singh and Sunil steered India to a comfortable victory over Russia in Friday’s (01 November, 2019) match. Andrey Kuraev and Semen Matkovskiy scored one goal each for Russia. India captain Manpreet Singh was adjudged Player of the Match.
- Indian men and women teams will play their respective second leg matches against the same opponents today (02 November, 2019). The winners at the end of the two-match qualifier will seal their places in the 2020 Tokyo Games.
Indian Hockey women’s team beat US 5-1 in Olympic qualifiers
- Indian Hockey women’s team beat United States of America 5-1 in Olympic qualifiers at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar on 01 November, 2019. At half time, India was leading by 1-0.
- Both the Indian teams will play matches against Russia and USA. The aggregate winners at the end of the two-match qualifier (each for men and women) will seal their places in the 2020 Tokyo Games.