GK Current Affairs Quiz 02nd November 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. Instantly obtain Latest Daily Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 02 November 2019 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation.
GK or General Awareness section can be the easiest section in all government, banking, SSC, railways exams when followed regularly. Aspirants of competitive exams such as IBPS, UPSC, SSC, SSC CPO, SSC CGL, Bank PO, Bank Clerk, IBPS, Railways, Government Jobs, UPPSC, MPSC, APPSC, TSPSC, SI, Constables etc can refer to the general knowledge questions and answers daily from this series of articles.
Todays GK Current Affairs Quiz 02-11-2019 (Daily) for Banking, UPSC, Railways, RRB NTPC, SSC and All Competitive Exams
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 01st October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 31st October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 30th October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 29th October 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 28th October 2019
- Weekly GK Current Affairs Quiz October 21st to 27th
Q. Who has been included in a 10-strong athlete ambassadors group to represent boxers in the build-up to 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games by the IOC’s Task Force for the sport?
(a) M C Mary Kom
(b) Laishram Sarita Devi
(c) Kavita Chahal
(d) Pinki Jangra
(e) Simranjit Kaur
Answer: (a) M C Mary Kom
Explanation: M C Mary Kom has been included in a 10-strong athlete ambassadors group to represent boxers in the build-up to 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games by the IOC’s Task Force for the sport.
Mary Kom will represent the Asian bloc in the group, which also comprises two-time Olympic gold-medallist Vasyl Lamachenko and five-time world champion and 2016 Olympic gold-winner Julio Cesar La Cruz among others.
Q. The site of Gottiprolu lies on the right bank of a distributary of river ________.
Answer: (b) Swarnamukhi
Explanation: The 1st phase of excavation by Archaeological Survey of India’s Excavation Branch has discovered the remains of a huge settlement surrounded by a massive brick enclosure.
Among many other antiquities unearthed are one life size Vishnu sculpture and a wide variety of pottery of the early centuries.
The site of Gottiprolu lies on the right bank of a distributary of river Swarnamukhi.
Q. Recently, the Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh ________ launched new Ladakh website.
(a) Sudhir Bhargava
(b) RK Mathur
(c) Satyananda Mishra
(d) Sanjay Mitra
(e) G. Mohan Kumar
Answer: (b) RK Mathur
Explanation: Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh RK Mathur launched new Ladakh website on 31 Oct 2019.
After swearing in as Lt. Gov, he launched the all new www.ladakh.nic.in website.
The new dynamic website is prepared in just three days with all new features.
Till now, Leh and Kargil have separate websites with district orientation.
In a few days, reporting of public grievance option will also be added.
Q. Which state will host the Multilingual Writers’ Meet in November 2019?
(a) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: (a) Arunachal Pradesh
Explanation: For the first time, Arunachal Pradesh will host the Multilingual Writers’ Meet at its oldest town Pasighat in East Siang District from 2 Nov 2019.
The two-day event will be held at the auditorium of College of Horticulture and Forestry.
25 prominent multilingual writers and poets from all parts of India and many literary dignitaries of the host state will attend the event.
Q. Read the following sentences carefully:
1.In Bihar, on the second day of Chhath Puja festival, ‘Kharna’ was observed on 1 Nov 2019.
2.After paying obeisance to the God devotees took prasad of ‘Kheer’.
3.With this 36 hours long fast of devotees without water began.
Which of the above sentences is/are correct?
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 1 and 2
(c) Only 1 and 3
(d) Only 2 and 3
(e) All are correct
Answer: (e) All are correct
Explanation: In Bihar, on the second day of Chhath Puja festival, ‘Kharna’ was observed on 1 Nov 2019.
After paying obeisance to the God devotees took prasad of ‘Kheer’.
With this 36 hours long fast of devotees without water began.
Devotees would offer Sandhya Arghya to the setting Sun on the ghats of river, ponds and water bodies on 2 Nov 2019.
Q. Recently, the Spanish government confirmed that it has offered to host the COP 25 climate summit after ________ abandoned plans to hold it due to deadly anti-government protests.
Answer: (c) Chile
Explanation: The Spanish government confirmed that it has offered to host the COP 25 climate summit after Chile abandoned plans to hold it due to deadly anti-government protests.
Spain is also gearing up for a general election on November 10, 2019, its fourth in as many years.
The Spanish government had made the offer and stated the importance of guaranteeing that COP25 takes place normally.
Q. Who among the following clinched gold medals at the Olympic Test Event for Boxing in Tokyo, Japan in October 2019?
(a) Amit Panghal and Laishram Sarita Devi
(b) Shiva Thapa and Pooja Rani
(c) Amit Panghal and Vinesh Phogat
(d) Shiva Thapa and Vinesh Phogat
(e) Amit Panghal and Simranjit Kaur
Answer: (b) Shiva Thapa and Pooja Rani
Explanation: Shiva Thapa and Pooja Rani clinched gold medals, while Ashish settled for a silver, as India ended with a decent haul of seven medals at the Olympic Test Event for Boxing in Tokyo, Japan on 31 October 2019.
The other four medals, all bronze were bagged by Nikhat Zareen, Simranjeet Kaur, Sumit Sangwan and Vahlimpuia in their respective weight categories.
Q. Where did Prime Minister Narendra Modi and German Chancellor Angela Merkel co-chair the 5th Inter-Governmental Consultations (IGC) in November 2019?
(c) New Delhi
Answer: (c) New Delhi
Explanation: Prime Minister Narendra Modi and German Chancellor Angela Merkel co-chaired the 5th Inter-Governmental Consultations (IGC) in New Delhi on 1 Nov 2019.
The two leaders also held talks and discussed a host of bilateral issues including economic partnership, trade, investment and agriculture.
German Chancellor arrived in New Delhi on 31 Oct 2019 on a three-day visit to India.
Q. Which of the following countries has/have signed the International Solar Alliance’s Framework Agreement at its second Assembly held in New Delhi in 2019?
(b) Saint Kittis and Nevis
(c) Antigua and Barbuda
(d) Both 1 and 2
(e) All are correct
Answer: (d) Both 1 and 2
Explanation: Two new countries Eritrea and Saint Kittis and Nevis have signed the International Solar Alliance’s (ISA) Framework Agreement at its second Assembly held in New Delhi.
With this 83 countries have so far signed the ISA framework agreement.
At the United Nations Climate Action Summit 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi pledged to increase renewable energy capacity to 175 Giga Watt by 2022
Q. Read the following sentences carefully:
1.President Ram Nath Kovind has launched endowment fund of IIT Delhi.
2.Endowments have become integral part of the financial health of educational institutions and through this alumni are playing critical role in supporting and nurturing future generations of learners.
3.Throughout history, educational institutes have been the beacons of our culture.
Which of the above sentences is/are correct?
(a) Only 1
(b) Only 1 and 2
(c) Only 1 and 3
(d) Only 2 and 3
(e) All are correct
Answer: (e) All are correct
Explanation: President Ram Nath Kovind has launched endowment fund of IIT Delhi.
Endowments have become integral part of the financial health of educational institutions and through this alumni are playing critical role in supporting and nurturing future generations of learners.
Throughout history, educational institutes have been the beacons of our culture.
Q. The Jharkhand Assembly Elections 2019 will be conducted in how many phases?
Answer: (a) Five
Explanation: Jharkhand Legislative Assembly Elections 2019 will be held in five phases in 81 constituencies of the state. The polling will begin from November 30 and the counting of votes will take place on December 23.
Q. When will the votes be counted in Jharkhand Assembly Elections 2019?
(a) December 29th
(b) December 24th
(c) December 23rd
(d) December 20th
Answer: (c) December 23rd
Explanation: Jharkhand Legislative Assembly Elections 2019 will be held in five phases from November 30 in the 81 constituencies of the state. The counting of votes will take place on December 23, 2019.
Q. Public Health Emergency has been declared in which state?
(a) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: (b) Delhi
Explanation: A public health emergency has been declared in Delhi by the Environment Pollution (Prevention & Control) Authority, as the pollution level in the city crossed severe category in PM 10 levels.
Q. Which veteran CPI leader and former Member of Parliament has passed away recently?
(a) D. Raja
(b) Gurudas Dasgupta
(c) Binoy Biswas
(d) K. Subramaniam
Answer: (b) Gurudas Dasgupta
Explanation: Veteran leader of Communist Party of India (CPI) and former MP Gurudas Dasgupta passed away at the age of 83. He was elected as a member of Rajya Sabha three times and as a MP twice in his political career. He was appointed as a general secretary of the All India Trade Union in 2001.
Q. Which Indian Institute has recently prepared Indian Brain Atlas for first time in the country?
(a) IIT Delhi
(b) IIT Hyderabad
(c) IIT Madras
(d) IIT Pune
Answer: (b) IIT Hyderabad
Explanation: For the first time in India, a team of IIT Hyderabad has prepared an Indian Brain Atlas. It has been found that the brain size of Indian people is smaller than the people of western countries. This information was published in Neurology India Journal.
Q. Which city is hosting 35th ASEAN Summit?
(b) New Delhi
Answer: (d) Bangkok
Explanation: The 35th ASEAN Summit started in Bangkok from 31 October, it will run till 04 November 2019. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will attend the meeting on November 3 and 4. The Association of Southeast Asia has 10 member countries in the group.
Q. When is Rashtriya Ekta Diwas observed?
(a) 28 October
(b) 29 October
(c) 30 October
(d) 31 October
(e) 1 November
Answer: (d) 31 October
Explanation: As a new Union Territory, the Ladakh region participated in Run for Unity to celebrate Rashtriya Ekta Diwas on 31 Oct 2019.
At various places in Leh and Kargil different sections of people have participated in Ek Daud Desh Ke Naam.
RK Mathur flagged off the Run for Unity in Leh after swearing-in as Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh.
Q. Where was the 2nd Assembly of International Solar Alliance (ISA) held?
(d) New Delhi
Answer: (d) New Delhi
Explanation: Minister of Power, New & Renewable Energy and Skill Development Entrepreneurship hosted the 2nd Assembly of International Solar Alliance (ISA) on 31 Oct 2019 in New Delhi.
Delegations from 78 countries participated in this Assembly, this included 29 Ministerial delegations of which 25 are from ISA member countries, 2 from signatory countries and further 2 from prospective member countries.
Q. Recently, where did Santosh Kumar Gangwar, Minister of State for Labour and Employment inaugurate the 100 bedded ESIC hospital?
Answer: (b) Rudrapur
Explanation: Santosh Kumar Gangwar, Minister of State for Labour and Employment inaugurated the 100 bedded ESIC hospital at Rudrapur recently.
The hospital has been constructed in a plot area of 5 acres along with 32 staff quarters with an approx. cost of Rs.97.72 crore.
This Hospital would be exclusively run for the benefit of insured persons and their family members covered under ESI Scheme.
Q. India is planning to open 100 additional airports by ________, as part of a plan to revive economic growth in Asia’s third-largest economy.
Answer: (c) 2024
Explanation: India is planning to open 100 additional airports by 2024, as part of a plan to revive economic growth in Asia’s third-largest economy.
The proposal, which includes starting 1,000 new routes connecting smaller towns and villages, was discussed at a meeting to review infrastructure needed by 202(e) Steps to start a plane-lease financing business in the country was also discussed.
Q. Recently, which country test-fired its most advanced nuclear-powered missile named, Bulava intercontinental ballistic missile?
Answer: (a) Russia
Explanation: Russia’s Knyaz Vladimir submarine of Borei-class vessel, test-fired its most advanced nuclear-powered missile named, Bulava intercontinental ballistic missile.
It precisely hit the target range of 1000 km away in the Russian region of Kamchatka.
The launch was conducted in the white sea of the northwest coast of Russia with a dummy payload.
Q. Recently N Venkatachala passed away. He was the former Lokayukta of ________.
Answer: (b) Karnataka
Explanation: Former Karnataka Lokayukta and former Supreme Court Judge N Venkatachala passed away.
Justice Venkatachala was appointed as a judge of the Supreme Court in July 199(b) He retired from his post in July 199(e) He served as Lokayukta of Karnataka following his retirement from the judiciary.
Q. Where was the 3rd edition of Global Ayurveda Summit 2019 held?
(a) Tamil Nadu
Answer: (b) Kerala
Explanation: Kerala Governor Arif Mohammed Khan inaugurated the 3rd edition of Global Ayurveda Summit 2019.
As many as 400 industry leaders and delegates from SAARC, GCC and African countries have gathered in Kochi, Kerala for the Global Ayurveda Summit 2019.
The 2-day summit organized by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) will have the theme Mainstreaming Ayurveda through Startups, Innovation and Branding.
Q. Recently, Geetanjali passed away. She was a/an ________.
(d) Classical Dancer
Answer: (c) Actress
Explanation: Popular Telugu actress Geetanjali passed away in October 2019.
The actress starred in about 500 films and some of her other memorable films include Doctor Chakravarti, Letha Manasulu and Sambarala Rambabu.
She is remembered for her role as Goddess Sita in ‘Sitarama Kalyanam’
Q. Who among the following world leaders is on a visit to India from October 31- November 2?
(a) Angela Merkel
(b) Vladimir Putin
(c) Emmanuel Macron
(d) Boris Johnson
Answer: (a) Angela Merkel
Explanation: German Chancellor Angela Merkel has arrived for a two-day visit in India from October 31 to November 2, 2019. Merkel will be co-chairing the 5th Biennial Indo-German Intergovernmental consultations (IGC) along with PM Narendra Modi in the national capital.
Q. India recently signed an MoU with which country in the field of prevention of marine litter?
Answer: (b) Germany
Explanation: The Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs on November 1, 2019 signed an MoU with the German Ministry for Environment, Nature Conservation & Nuclear Safety regarding the cooperation in the field of prevention of marine litter.
Q. Which of the following states did not celebrate its formation day on November 1, 2019?
(c) Madhya Pradesh
(d) Tamil Nadu
Answer: (d) Tamil Nadu
Explanation: Haryana, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala and Chattisgarh observed their formation day on November 1, 2019. All these states were created on November 1, 1956; however, only Haryana was formed in 1966.
Q. Where was the first micro composting centre (MCC) inaugurated by Minister of Cooperation Sellur K. Raju in 2019?
(a) Tamil Nadu
Answer: (a) Tamil Nadu
Explanation: The first micro composting centre (MCC) was inaugurated by Minister of Cooperation Sellur K. Raju next to the crematorium at Thathaneri, Tamil Nadu.
The facility will ensure that Madurai becomes a clean city and also binless.
The centre, built at a cost of ₹80 lakh under the Swachh Bharat Mission, has 12 pits which will compost organic waste using the aerobic method
Q. Which state is all set to partner Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), co-founded by Nobel laureates Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo?
Answer: (c) Odisha
Explanation: Odisha Government is all set to partner Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (J-PAL), co-founded by Nobel laureates Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo.
J-PAL is going to work in at least eight districts of the State including the KBK region on improvement of poorest of the poor, women as well as nutrition.
An MoU was signed between the State Government and J-PAL on October 31, 2019.
Q. Which country recently offered to host the COP 25 climate summit?
Answer: (a) Spain
Explanation: Spain recently offered that it has offered to host the COP 25 climate summit. The summit was initially supposed to be hosted by Chile. However, Chile announced to abandon the plans due to anti-government protests in the country.
Todays GK Current Affairs One-Liners 02-11-2019 (Daily) for Banking, UPSC, Railways, RRB NTPC, SSC and All Competitive Exams
US House of Representative approves procedure to impeach President Trump
- The US House of Representatives has passed a resolution to formally proceed with the Democrat-led impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump.
- The resolution sets the stage for the next phase of investigation into a whistleblower’s complaint which alleges that the US President attempted to pressure Ukraine to interfere in the 2020 presidential elections by investigating the family of his potential political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden.
- The vote, 232-196, was largely along party lines. No Republican supported the resolution, while Independent Justin Amash of Michigan, who left the Republican party earlier this year, voted in favour.
- This was the first formal vote on the new impeachment process by the House of Representatives after Speaker Nancy Pelosi had backed the need for an inquiry against the US President last month.
Spain offers to host COP Climate Summit after Chile abandons plans
- The Spanish government confirmed today that it has offered to host the COP 25 climate summit after Chile abandoned plans to hold it due to deadly anti-government protests.
- Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez had “made a generous offer to host the COP 25 summit in Madrid” on the original scheduled dates of December 2-13.
- The Spanish government confirmed Sanchez had made the offer “given the short time available” and “the importance of guaranteeing that COP25 take place normally”.
- Spain is gearing up for a general election in November 10, its fourth in as many years.
ASEAN Summit: Negotiators to meet on RCEP deal issues
- The 10 ASEAN member countries and six trading partners remain optimistic about making a breakthrough on the much delayed Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) deal during the 35th ASEAN Summit in Bangkok.
- Some issues have yet to be agreed upon and negotiators are scheduled to meet today and tomorrow to thrash them out. Union Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal has arrived Bangkok this morning to take part in deliberations.
- The Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership(RCEP) were launched in November 2012. The main objective of RCEP is deepening economic cooperation between 10 ASEAN nations and six trade partners.
- Trade partners are India, China, Japan, South Korea, Australia and New Zealand.
- If the RCEP is finalized the 16 countries will form a major trading block across domestic product accounting for around one-third of the world’s gross domestic product.
- Signatory countries to the RCEP have a combined population of about 3.56 billion, with a trading volume 29 per cent of world trade. Once the RCEP comes into effect the agreement will cover nearly half of the world’s population.
Antonio Guterres hails landmark meeting on Syrian Constitution
- UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres on 31 October, 2019 hailed as a landmark the first meeting of a committee comprising Syrian government and opposition negotiators, tasked with amending the war-torn country’s Constitution.
- The two sides sat face-to-face in Geneva for the launch of the constitutional review committee’s work.
- At a Conference on mediation in Istanbul organised by the Turkish government, Mr Guterres said that the first meeting of the Constitutional Committee was a landmark, a foundation for progress.
- He expressed hope that this will be the first step towards a political solution that will end this tragic chapter in the lives of the Syrian people.
- It will also be the step to create the opportunity for all Syrians to return to their places of origin, in safety and dignity, to end their status as refugees.
- The United Nations-brokered committee includes 150 delegates divided equally among President Bashar al-Assad’s government, the opposition and civil society.
Sikhs don’t need passport to visit Kartarpur, no fee on day one, says Pakistan PM Imran Khan
- Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan on 01 November, 2019 announced that Sikh pilgrims from India would not need a passport to travel to Kartarpur and no fee would be charged from them on the opening day of the corridor on November 9.
- The Kartarpur Corridor will connect the Dera Baba Nanak shrine in India’s Punjab with Darbar Sahib at Kartarpur, just 4 kilometres from the International Border, located at Narowal district of Pakistan’s Punjab province.
- Pakistan will allow 5,000 Indian pilgrims daily to visit Gurdwara Darbar Sahib where Guru Nanak spent last 18 years of his life.
- Each visitor would be required to pay $20 as fee, though India has requested Pakistan not to charge the Indian pilgrims.
President Ram Nath Kovind launches endowment fund of IIT Delhi
- President Ram Nath Kovind has launched endowment fund of IIT Delhi.
- Endowments have become integral part of the financial health of educational institutions and through this alumni are playing critical role in supporting and nurturing future generations of learners.
- Throughout history, our educational institutes have been the beacons of our culture and India has a tradition of universities showing the way to the people in society.
- He urged all the people to devote some amount of their time for the benefit of the not-so-fortunate sections of society.
PM Narendra Modi interacts with civil service probationers in Kevadiya
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has asked civil service probationers to use technology and help the country achieve 5 trillion dollar economy.
- The Prime Minister was interacting with 430 officer trainees of the 94th Civil Services Foundation Course– Aarambh in Kevadiya, Gujarat. Mr Modi urged them to strive to remove silos and hierarchies in the system.
- The presence of silos and hierarchy does not help our system. He said, whoever we are, wherever we are, we have to work together for the nation.
- The Indian Civil Service owes a lot to Sardar Patel.
- Kevadia, where the ‘Statue of Unity’ is situated, we can all find inspiration and vigour to do something for the country.
- The Prime Minister was briefed on Aarambh – the first of its kind week-long unique comprehensive foundation course.
- Officer trainees gave presentations on five thematic areas namely Agriculture and Rural Empowerment, Health care reforms and policymaking; sustainable rural management techniques, inclusive urbanization and future of education
- The Prime Minister described the Aarambh Foundation course as a unique future centric one with the potential to bring about a paradigm shift in administration.
India now has 28 states and 9 UTs
- According to the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019, the appointed day for the two Union Territories J&K and Ladakh was October 31, 2019.
- This is for the first time that a state is converted into two Union Territories.
- The total number of states in the country will now be 28 while the total Union Territories will go up to nine.
5 lakh government vehicles to be converted into e-vehicles to make them eco-friendly: Prakash Javadekar
- Minister for Environment and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar on 01 November, 2019 said that all the 5 lakh government vehicles on conventional fuel will be converted into e-vehicle in a phased manner. He said, besides their cost-effectiveness, these e-vehicle are eco-friendly and save consumption of petrol and diesel.
- He said the government under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has taken several initiatives to reduce the pollution level.
India-Saudi Arabia bilateral ties will grow further after signing of Strategic Partnership Council Agreement
- India is an important trading partner of Saudi Arabia and the bilateral ties will grow further after the signing of the Strategic Partnership Council Agreement to coordinate on important issues, a senior minister of the oil-rich Gulf Kingdom said.
- Noting that Saudi Arabia is a major source of energy supply to India, Minister for Commerce and Investment Majid bin Abdullah Al Qasabi said that the two countries could do more in several sectors.
- India could be a great platform for East Asia, Central Asia and for Saudi Arabia. India, the world’s third-largest oil consumer, imports 83 per cent of its oil needs.
- Saudi Arabia is its second-biggest supplier after Iraq.
- It sold 40.33 million tonnes of crude oil to India in 2018-19 fiscal when the country imported 207.3 million tonnes of oil.
- India also buys some 200,000 tonnes of LPG every month from Saudi Arabia.
PM Narendra Modi, German Chancellor to co-chair 5th Inter Governmental Consultations in New Delhi today (01 November)
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and German Chancellor Angela Merkel will co-chair the 5th Inter Governmental Consultations (IGC) in New Delhi on 1 November, 2019.
- The two leaders will also hold talks and discuss a host of bilateral issues including economic partnership, trade, investment and agriculture.
- Entire gamut of bilateral issues including science, education, technology, people to people contact and cultural exchanges will also be discussed.
- Two countries are likely to sign around 20 agreements.
- German Chancellor arrived in New Delhi on a three-day visit to India.
- The German Chancellor is accompanied by several Ministers and State Secretaries of the Federal Government, as well as a high-powered business delegation.
Eritrea, Saint Kittis & Nevis sign ISA Framework Agreement
- Two new countries Eritrea and Saint Kittis and Nevis have signed the International Solar Alliance’s (ISA) Framework Agreement at its second Assembly held in New Delhi.
- With this 83 countries have so far signed the ISA framework agreement.
- Minister of Power, New and Renewable Energy R K Singh who is also the President of ISA, emphasized the increasing importance of solar energy.
- This is very important in view of the climate change issues faced globally.
- He also elaborated the number of steps that India has taken to support the International Solar Alliance which India along France launched.
- At the United Nations Climate Action Summit 2019, Prime Minister Narendra Modi pledged to increase renewable energy capacity to 175 Giga Watt by 2022 and committed for further increasing it to 450 GigaWatt.
Defence Minister to attend SCO meeting at Tashkent, Uzbekistan
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh will leave for Tashkent, Uzbekistan to attend a key meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) and participate in bilateral engagements with the Uzbekistan government.
- Mr Singh will represent India at the meeting of Council of Heads of Government of SCO in Tashkent.
- The leaders participating in the meeting are expected to focus their discussions on multilateral economic cooperation in the SCO region.
- This will be the third Council of Heads of Government meeting after India became a member of the SCO.
- The Defence Minister will also have bilateral engagements tomorrow and on Saturday. He will hold a meeting with Major General Kurbanov Bakhodir Nizamovich, Minister of Defence of Uzbekistan, to discuss issues of bilateral defence cooperation.
PM Narendra Modi to visit Thailand for ASEAN summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit Thailand on 02 November, 2019 to participate in the 16th ASEAN-India summit, 14th East Asia summit and 3rd Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP).
- MEA Secretary (East), Vijay Thakur Singh said, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, will visit Bangkok on the invitation of the Prime Minister of Thailand. Ms. Singh said that as his first engagement, Prime Minister will address the Indian community tomorrow at National Indoor Stadium in Bangkok.
- She said, during the event, Prime Minister Modi will release the commemorative coin marking the 550th birth anniversary of Sri Guru Nanak Dev and Thai translation of Tirukkural. She said, Prime Minister will participate in India-ASEAN summit on 3rd November.
- She further said strengthening ASEAN and ASEAN-led mechanism, enhancing connectivity, deepening economic partnership, enhancing cooperation in the digital domain including cyber-security are the key agenda of the India-ASEAN summit 2019.
US federal reserve damaging to economy more than China: Donald Trump
- US President Donald Trump on 31 October, 2019 slammed the Federal Reserve, alleging that its policies are more damaging to the American economy than China.
- Trump’s remarks were the latest in a series of recent barrages he has unleashed at the Fed.
- People are very disappointed with the central bank and its Chair Jay Powell.
- China and the US are working on selecting a new site for signing of Phase One of Trade Agreement, about 60 per cent of total deal, after APEC in Chile was cancelled due to unrelated circumstances.
CBDT extends all ITRs filing deadline for J&K, Ladakh to November 30
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) on 31 October, 2019 extended the deadline for filing of all kinds of income tax returns to November 30 in the newly-created Union Territories of Jammu and Kashmir, and Ladakh.
- The policy-making body for the Income Tax department issued an order stating that on consideration of reports of disturbances in internet facility in certain areas of Jammu and Kashmir, the CBDT…further extends the due date for filing of ITRs and tax audit reports to November 30 in respect of all categories of income tax assessees in the UTs of Jammu and Kashmir, and UT of Ladakh.
- The ITRs filed by individual taxpayers, post the set deadline of August 31, will also be considered valid as part of the latest order.
Pooja Gehlot enters final of UWW Under-23 World Championships in Budapest
- Indian women grappler Pooja Gehlot (53kg) has entered the finals after beating Turkey’s Zeynep Yetgil in the semifinals of the UWW Under-23 World Wrestling Championships 2019 in Budapest.
- In the summit clash, Pooja will be up against Haruno Okuno of Japan.
- No Indian has ever won a gold in the last three editions of the UWW Under-23 World Championships.
Tokyo Olympics 2020: Mary Kom to represent Asian bloc in athlete ambassadors group
- Six-time world champion M C Mary Kom has been included in a 10-strong athlete ambassadors group to represent boxers in the build-up to next year’s Tokyo Olympic Games by the IOC’s Task Force for the sport.
- Mary Kom will represent the Asian bloc in the group, which also comprises two-time Olympic and world gold-medallist Vasyl Lamachenko and five-time world champion and 2016 Olympic gold-winner Julio Cesar La Cruz among others.
- The 36-year-old Indian recently surpassed herself as the most successful boxer in the history of the world championships when she claimed her eighth medal, a bronze, at the marquee event’s latest edition in Russia.
Nirmal Purja climbed 14 highest peaks in 189 days
- The mountaineer from Nepal, Nirmal Purja, created a new speed record by climbing the world’s 14 highest peaks over 8,000 metres in just b.
- The 14th peak which he climbed was Shishapangma, located at Nyalam County, China.
- The other 13 peaks are Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Kanchenjunga, Everest, Lhotse, Makalu, Nanga Parbat, Gasherbrum I, Gasherbrum II, K2, Broad Peak, Cho Oyu and Manaslu.