GK Current Affairs Quiz 21st December 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease.
Q. Who was ranked first in the Forbes top-100 Indian celebrities list for the year 2019?
a) Akshay Kumar
b) Salman Kumar
c) Ranvir Singh
d) Virat Kohli
Answer: (d) Virat Kohli
Explanation: Virat Kohli, the captain of the Indian cricket team, was ranked first in the Forbes’ list of top-100 celebrities of India. Akshay Kumar is in second place and Salman Khan in third place in this list.
Q. Who among the following personalities does not feature in the top 5 of Forbes top-100 Indian celebrities list 2019?
a) Salman Khan
b) Akshay Kumar
c) Amitabh Bachchan
d) Shah Rukh Khan
Answer: (d) Shah Rukh Khan
Explanation: The Forbes top-100 Indian celebrities list for the year 2019 ranks Indian skipper Virat Kohli at the top position this year, displacing Salman Khan. The other celebrities in the top 5 of the list include Akshay Kumar at the second rank, Salman Khan at the third rank and Amitabh Bachchan at the fourth position. Shah Rukh Khan does not feature in the top 5, he is ranked sixth in the list.
Q. Who has become the first Indian to take two ODI hat-tricks?
a) Jasprit Bumrah
b) Mohammed Shami
c) Yuzvendra Chahal
d) Kuldeep Yadav
Answer: (d) Kuldeep Yadav
Explanation: Indian spinner Kuldeep Yadav has become the first Indian bowler to take two ODI hat-tricks. He created the record during India’s second ODI against West Indies at the VDCA Cricket Stadium in Visakhapatnam on December 18, 2019.
Q. Who among the following announced his decision to step down as Mahindra Group Executive Chairman?
a) Anand Mahindra
b) Keshub Mahindra
c) Pawan Goenka
d) Rajeev Dubey
Answer: (a) Anand Mahindra
Explanation: Anand Mahindra on December 20, 2019 announced his decision to step down as the Executive Chairman of the Mahindra Group. He will be stepping down officially from the position from April 1, 2020. He will then function as the Non-Executive Chairman of the company.
Q. Which nation has announced the Gandhi Citizenship Education Award?
Answer: (c) Portugal
Explanation: Portugal Prime Minister Antonio Costa has announced the Gandhi Citizenship Education Award, inspired by his thoughts and life, to help perpetuate the ideals of Mahatma Gandhi. Antonio Costa said that Gandhi Citizenship Award will be dedicated to social welfare.
Q. Which artillery missile system was successfully tested by DRDO from Chandipur range of Odisha recently?
b) Pinaka Mark-II
Answer: (b) Pinaka Mark-II
Explanation: The Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has recently conducted a successful test of the Artillery Missile System Pinaka Mark-II. This system is capable of firing 12 rockets in just 44 seconds.
Q. When is the International Day of Human Solidarity observed every year?
a) 18 December
b) 19 December
c) 20 December
d) 21 December
Answer: (c) 20 December
Explanation: International Day of Human Solidarity is celebrated by the United Nations on 20 December every year. The United Nations General Assembly passed a resolution for this day on 22 December 2005.
Q. Which agricultural university recently developed a processing-grade white onion variety for commercial farming?
a) Punjab agricultural university
b) Sikkim Manipal University
c) Sharda University
d) Lovely Professional University
Answer: (a) Punjab Agricultural University
Explanation: Punjab Agricultural University recently developed a processing-grade white onion variety for commercial farming. This variety of onion can be processed and it can meet with the requirements of the state demands. In 1994, the university developed an onion variety called Punjab White. Its average yield was 135 quintals per acre.
Q. Donald Trump has become the _______ US President in history to be impeached by the House of Representatives.
Answer: (c) 3rd
Explanation: Donald Trump has become the third US President in history to be impeached by the House of Representatives.
Q. Which state’s Assembly has adopted a resolution urging the Government of India to implement Inner Line Permit in the state under the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation, 1873?
(e) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: (d) Meghalaya
Explanation: The Meghalaya Assembly has adopted a resolution urging the Government of India to implement Inner Line Permit in the state under the Bengal Eastern Frontier Regulation, 1873.
Q. Portuguese Prime Minister announced the setting up of a Gandhi Citizenship Education Prize. Who is the present Prime Minister of Portugal?
(a) Rui Rio
(b) Antonio Costa
(c) Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa
(d) Pedro Passos Coelho
(e) Orlando da Costa
Answer: (b) Antonio Costa
Explanation: Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa announced the setting up of a Gandhi Citizenship Education Prize.
Q. International Human Solidarity Day is organized across the world on?
(a) 10th December
(b) 15th December
(c) 17th December
(d) 18th December
(e) 20th December
Answer: (e) 20th December
Explanation: International Human Solidarity Day is organized across the world on 20th December.
Q. Name the officially recognized book of standards which specifies the standards of drugs manufactured and marketed in India in terms of their identity, purity and strength.
(a) Indian Medicinecopoeia
(b) Indian Pharmacopoeia
(c) Indian Medicalcopoeia
(d) Indian Doctorcopoeia
(e) Indian Hospitalocopoeia
Answer: (b) Indian Pharmacopoeia
Explanation: The Indian Pharmacopoeia is an officially recognized book of standards which specifies the standards of drugs manufactured and marketed in India in terms of their identity, purity and strength.
Q. ________________ has won the Sahitya Akademi Award in Non-Fiction category for An Era of Darkness (English language).
(a) Om Sharma Jandriari
(b) Shashi Tharoor
(c) Phukan Ch. Basumatary
(d) Chinmoy Guha
(e) Nilba A Khandekar
Answer: (b) Shashi Tharoor
Explanation: Shashi Tharoor has won the Sahitya Akademi Award for An Era of Darkness (English language) in Non-Fiction category.
Q. Who among the following has won the Sahitya Akademi Award in Poetry category for “Chheelate Hue Apne Ko” in Hindi language?
(a) Ratilal Borisagar
(b) Joysree Goswami Mahanta
(d) Abdul AhadHajini
(e) Nand Kishore Acharya
Answer: (e) Nand Kishore Acharya
Explanation: Nand Kishore Acharya has won the Sahitya Akademi Award in Poetry category for “Chheelate Hue Apne Ko” in Hindi language.
Q. “Pinaka-guided rocket system” was successfully test-fired from the DRDO’s Proof and Experimental Establishment firing test range off Odisha coast. The system has a maximum range of 40 km for Mark-I and ________ for Mark-II.
(a) 75 km
(b) 85 km
(c) 95 km
(d) 125 km
(e) 150 km
Answer: (a) 75 km
Explanation: “Pinaka-guided rocket system” was successfully test-fired from the DRDO’s Proof and Experimental Establishment firing test range off Odisha coast. The system has a maximum range of 40 km for Mark-I and 75 km for Mark-II.
Q. Penna Madhusudan has won the Sahitya Akademi Award in Poetry category for Prajnachakshusham written in ____________ language.
Answer: (e) Sanskrit
Explanation: Penna Madhusudan has won the Sahitya Akademi Award in Poetry category for Prajnachakshusham written in Sanskrit language.
Q. Sahitya Akademi has recently announced its annual Sahitya Akademi Awards in how many languages?
Answer: (d) 23
Explanation: Sahitya Akademi announced its annual Sahitya Akademi Awards in 23 languages.
Daily Current Affairs – International
International Human Solidarity Day: 20 December
The United Nations’ (UN) International Human Solidarity Day is annually held on December 20 to celebrate unity in diversity.
- It also aims to remind people on the importance of solidarity in working towards eradicating poverty.
- On International Human Solidarity Day, governments are reminded of their commitments to international agreements on the need for human solidarity as an initiative to fight against poverty.
International Astronomical Union names new star as ‘Sharjah’
The International Astronomical Union (IAU) announced the names of the newly discovered stars and planets, where the name “Sharjah” was chosen for a star with “Barjeel” being the name of one of its planets.
- The announcement was made during a press conference of the IAU in the French capital, Paris, celebrating the centennial of the union.
- During the announcement, the organisers lauded the efforts and contributions of the Emirate of Sharjah to the global scientific community.
Trump becomes third US president in history to be impeached
Donald Trump has become the third US President in history to be impeached by the House of Representatives, setting up a trial in the Senate that will decide whether he remains in office.
- The House voted on two charges – that the President abused his power and that he had obstructed Congress.
- Nearly all Democrats voted for the charges and every Republican against.
- President Trump’s Republicans control the Senate, so it is highly unlikely he will be removed from power.
- Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton were two former Presidents who had been impeached.
Daily Current Affairs – National
Upgraded version of Pinaka guided rocket system, QR-SAM successfully test fired
India had successfully test-fired two missiles from Chandipur in Odisha.
- The upgraded version of Pinaka guided rocket system was test-fired from the DRDO’s Proof and Experimental Establishment firing test range while the all-weather tracked-chassis Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile (QR-SAM) tested from a mobile launcher at a launch complex of the Integrated Test Range.
- The indigenously developed Pinaka and QR-SAM weapon system test achieved the desired accuracy by hitting the intended target with a high degree of precision and met all mission objectives.
- Pinaka system has a maximum range of 75 km for Mark-II variant and can fire a salvo of 12 rockets in less than 45 seconds.
The Indian Navy, in collaboration with Indian Coast Guard, Cochin Port Trust conducted a large scale Anti Hijacking Exercise “Apharan” off the Port of Kochi.
- This was the first time that such a large scale exercise involving all stakeholders has been conducted in Kerala.
- The Exercise ‘Apharan’ was aimed at streamlining the response mechanism/ preparedness to any attempt by Anti-National Elements to hijack a merchant vessel or attempt forced entry of a rogue/commandeered merchant vessel into Kochi harbour.
Tripura gets its first SEZ
The Ministry of Commerce and Industry has notified the setting up of the first ever Special Economic Zone (SEZ) in Tripura.
- The SEZ is being set-up at Paschim Jalefa,, South Tripura District, which is 130 km away from Agartala.
- It will be a Sector Specific Economic Zone for Agro-Based Food Processing.
- The estimated investment in the project will be around 1550 Crore.
- The SEZ is estimated to generate 12,000 skilled jobs.
- Rubber based industries, textile and Apparel Industries, bamboo and Agri-food Processing Industries will be set-up in the SEZ.
- After it is set up, 100 percent Income Tax exemption will be provided on export income for SEZ units under Section 10AA of the Income Tax Act for the first 5 years.
Daily Current Affairs – Appointments
Former HC Judge CV Ramulu appointed as Lokayukta of Telangana
In Telangana, former High Court Judge Justice CV Ramulu has been appointed as the Lokayukta.
- Governor Tamilisai Sounderarajan has issued the orders to this effect.
- Former Law Secretary V Niranjan Rao has been appointed as Upa Lokayukta.
- The governor also appointed another former judge Justice G Chandraiah as Chairman of the State Human Rights Commission.
- This is the first time that the state government has constituted the Lokayukta and Human Rights Commission since the state was formed in 2014.
Devesh Srivastava appointed GIC chief
The government has appointed Devesh Srivastava as chairman and MD of national reinsurer General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC Re).
- The government has also appointed Malay Kumar Poddar as chairman and MD of Agriculture Insurance Corporation of India.
- The appointment comes nearly four months after the Banks Board Bureau made its recommendation on appointments to the government.
- Srivastava succeeds Alice Vaidyan, who retired in July 2019.
Daily Current Affairs- Awards
Portugal announces Gandhi Citizenship Education Prize
Portuguese Prime Minister, Antonio Costa has announced that, Portugal will be launching a Gandhi Citizenship Education Prize, each year inspired by his different thoughts and quotes.
- The first edition of this prize will be dedicated to animal welfare as Mahatma Gandhi said that the greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- Mr. Antonio Costa was addressing the second meeting of the National Committee for Commemoration of the 150th Birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
Zeena Khitta wins women’s national 10m Air Rifle
Himachal’s Zeena Khitta stunned West Bengal’s Mehuli Ghosh and World No.3 Apurvi Chandela to emerge as the new national champion in the Women’s 10 metres Air Rifle event.
- He won at the ongoing 63rd National Shooting Championship Competitions Rifle/Pistol in Bhopal.
- Mehuli had to settle for the silver while Apurvi won the bronze.
Pat Cummins becomes most expensive overseas IPL player
Pat Cummins, with a base price of two crore rupees, became the most expensive overseas buy as he was sold to Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) for a whopping 15.50 crore rupees.
- Glenn Maxwell was sold to Kings XI Punjab for 10.75 crore rupees while Aaron Finch was picked up by Royal Challengers Bangalore for 4.4 crore rupees in the Indian Premier League auction at Kolkata.
- Yusuf Pathan remained unsold while India’s Test specialist Cheteshwar Pujara also failed to find any bidders in Kolkata.
- England captain Eoin Morgan will be playing for KKR in the upcoming IPL season as he was bought by KKR for 5.25 crore rupees.
- Robin Uthappa, who was released by KKR, has been bought by Rajasthan Royals for 3 crore rupees.