GK Current Affairs Quiz 19th December 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease.
GK Current Affairs Quiz 17th December 2019
Q. The state police of which state has become 7th state police to be honoured with ‘President’s colours’?
Answer: (b) Gujarat
Explanation: The state police of Gujarat has become 7th state police to be honoured with ‘President’s colours’.
Q. Name the Bollywood actress whose film “Garam Hava” won the Best Feature Film at the 21st National Film Awards, passed away recently.
(a) Kim Yashpal
(b) Kalpana Iyer
(c) Prema Narayan
(d) Kajal Kiran
(e) Gita Siddharth Kak
Answer: (e) Gita Siddharth Kak
Explanation: Bollywood actress Gita Siddharth Kak whose film “Garam Hava” won the Best Feature Film at the 21st National Film Awards, passed away recently.
Q. To promote the orange fruit and encourage its growers, “Orange” festival was organised at district Tamenglong, _______________
Answer: (c) Manipur
Explanation: To promote the orange fruit and encourage its growers, “Orange” festival was organised at district Tamenglong in Manipur.
Q. On which day the International Migrants Day is organized across the world to protect the rights of migrant workers and members of their families?
(a) 20th December
(b) 19th December
(c) 21st December
(d) 18th December
(e) 17th December
Answer: (d) 18th December
Explanation: The International Migrants Day is organized across the world on 18th December to protect the rights of migrant workers and members of their families.
Q. Name the Veteran actor who played important role in the growth of theatre movement in Maharashtra in the post-Independence era passed away recently.
(a) Shriram Lagoo
(b) Ramesh Deo
(c) Kashinath Ghanekar
(d) Ashok Saraf
(e) Deepa Lagoo
Answer: (a) Shriram Lagoo
Explanation: Veteran actor Shriram Lagoo who played important role in the growth of theatre movement in Maharashtra in the post-Independence era passed away recently.
Q. Name the national programme recently launched by Government e-commerce portal GeM to bring on-board more local sellers.
(a) GeM Aahaar
(b) GeM Sale
(c) GeM Commerce
(d) GeM StockSale
(e) GeM Samvaad
Answer: (e) GeM Samvaad
Explanation: Government e-commerce portal GeM has launched a national outreach programme “GeM Samvaad” to bring on-board more local sellers.
Q. India has successfully conducted a developmental trial of the land-attack version of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile which can carry a conventional warhead weighing up to?
(a) 250 kg
(b) 300 kg
(c) 325 kg
(d) 350 Kg
(e) 400 kg
Answer: (b) 300 kg
Explanation: India has successfully conducted a developmental trial of the land-attack version of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile which can carry a conventional warhead weighing up to 300 kg.
Q. ‘Tansen Samaroh’ is celebrated every year in the memory of one of the most eminent singers of Indian history, ‘Mian Tansen’. The festival celebrations has began in?
(a) Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh
(b) Patna, Bihar
(c) Chandigarh, Haryana
(d) Ranchi, Jharkhand
(e) Gandhinagar, Gujarat
Answer: (a) Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh
Explanation: ‘Tansen Samaroh’ is celebrated every year in the memory of one of the most eminent singers of Indian history, ‘Mian Tansen’. The festival celebrations has began in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh with the recitations of Harikatha and Milad.
Q. 610-year-old Er-Rızk mosque was removed for the Ilisu Dam project, from the town of Hasankeyf, ___________
Answer: (d) Turkey
Explanation: 610-year-old Er-Rızk mosque was removed for the Ilisu Dam project, from the town of Hasankeyf of Turkey.
Q. Shriram Lagoo passed away at the age of 92 years on December 17. He was one of the greatest actors in this theatre industry.
Answer: (a) Marathi
Explanation:Shriram Lagoo, the 92-year-old veteran film and theatre actor passed away on December 17, 2019 after suffering a cardiac arrest at his Pune residence. He was considered as one of the greatest Marathi stage actors during the turn of the 20th century.
Q. Who was restored as the Executive Chairman of Tata Sons?
(a) Ratan Tata
(b) Cyrus Mistry
(c) Natarajan Chandrasekaran
(d) Venu Srinivasan
Answer: (b) Cyrus Mistry
Explanation:NCLAT restored Cyrus Mistry as the executive chairman of Tata Sons on December 18, 2019, three years after he was ousted from the post. Mistry’s restoration would only be applicable after four weeks, which gives the Tata Group time to challenge the order before the Supreme Court.
Q. Which Nirbhaya rape convict’s review petition was rejected by the Supreme Court on December 18, 2019?
(a) Vinay Sharma
(b) Mukesh Singh
(c) Pawan Gupta
(d) Akshay Kumar Singh
Answer: (d) Akshay Kumar Singh
Explanation:The Supreme Court of India rejected the review petition of Nirbhaya rape convict Akshay Kumar Singh on December 18, 2019. With this, the court upheld the death sentence of all four accused in the Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case.
Q. When was Minority Rights Day observed?
(a) December 15th
(b) December 16th
(c) December 18th
(d) December 17th
Answer: (c) December 18th
Explanation:The Minority Rights Day is observed every year on December 18, 2019 by the National Commission for Minorities. The day is observed to strengthen the cause of the minorities.
Q. Which organization recently named a star as “Bhibha” after an Indian Woman Scientist?
Answer: (c) IAU
Explanation:The International Astronomical Union (IAU) recently named a star as “Bhibha” and also named its planet as “Santamasa” after Indian Woman Scientist Bhibha Choudhury. Bhibha led to the discovery of subatomic particle pi-meson.
Q. Which flagship scheme of the Central Government was on December 18, 2019 extended by two years?
Answer: (a) AMRUT
Explanation:The Central Government recently extended the deadline of the flagship scheme Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) by two years. The scheme was launched in 2015 and was scheduled to conclude in March 2020.
Q. When is the International Migrants Day observed every year?
(a) 16th December
(b) 17th December
(c) 18th December
(d) 19th December
Answer: (c) 18 December
Explanation:The International Migrants Day is observed annually on 18 December. The Day was established in December 2000.
Q. Which court has taken up the plea against the police crackdown on students of Jamia Milia Islamia University?
(a) Delhi HC
(b) Supreme Court
(c) Allahabad HC
(d) Kolkata HC
Answer: (a) Delhi HC
Explanation:The Delhi High Court has agreed to hear the plea seeking constitution of a fact-finding committee to inquire into the police crackdown in the Jamia Milia Islamia University, following protests against the Citizenship Amendment Act, 2019.
Q. The International Migrants Day is organized across the world to protect the rights of migrant workers and members of their families. What is the theme of day for 2019?
Answer: (b) WeTogether
Explanation: The International Migrants Day is organized across the world to protect the rights of migrant workers and members of their families. The theme of day for 2019 is “WeTogether”.
Daily Current Affairs – 19th December 2019
China withdraws its request from UN Security Council to hold discussions on Kashmir
China withdraws request from UNSC to hold discussions on Kashmir, but may proceed to hold talks in a 15-nation council.
- The Himalayan region has long been a flashpoint between nuclear-armed neighbours India and Pakistan, with both claiming Kashmir in full but ruling it in part.
- UN peacekeepers have been deployed since 1949 to observe a ceasefire between India and Pakistan in the region.
- The matter was expected to be discussed in the Security Council Consultations Room under “other matters” during closed consultations.
Phase-III of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana launched
Rural Development Minister Narendra Singh Tomar launched Phase-III of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana in New Delhi to further enhance connectivity of villages with hospitals, schools and agricultural markets.
- The Phase-III of PMGSY aims at consolidation of 1 lakh 25 thousand Kilometers through Routes and Major Rural Links that connect habitations to Gramin Agricultural Markets, Higher Secondary Schools and Hospitals with an estimated cost of 80 thousand 250 crore rupees for the period 2019-20 to 2024-25.
- The Central Share will be 53 thousand 800 crore rupees.
- The funding pattern for the scheme will be 60:40 between Centre and the States.
- For North-East and the Himalayan States the ratio will be 90:10.
‘OCTOPUS’ inducted into Andhra CM’s security cover
In order to enhance the security cover of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, special force ‘OCTOPUS’ has been inducted into his security.
- Organisation for Counter-Terrorist Operations, also called ‘OCTOPUS’, is a specialised and elite counter-terrorism unit of the state of Andhra Pradesh.
- A team of 32 members divided into five teams would be part of the security.
Odisha CM launches ‘Jalsathi’ programme
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the ‘Jalsathi’ programme which will ensure supply of safe drinking water to all households in the state.
- Patnaik also distributed water quality testing kits and POS (point of sale) machines to the women volunteers – ‘Jalasathis’.
- Inclusion of women volunteers from Mission Shakti for piped water supply is a cherished step as they will serve the people as ‘Jalasathis’.
- Under the ‘Jalsathi’ programme, about 5,000 women will be engaged for supplying safe drinking water.
National conference on ‘Uniformed Women in Prison Administration’ begins in Bhopal
In Madhya Pradesh, a two-day National Conference on ‘Uniformed Women in Prisons Administration’ begins a Central Academy for Police Training at Bhopal.
- Union Minister of State for Home Nityanand Rai inaugurated the conference.
- For the first time, the conference is being held in Madhya Pradesh outside Delhi.
- At present, there are more than 900 uniformed women government servants working in the state jail department.
GST Council fixes 28% uniform tax rate for lottery
The Goods and Services Tax or GST Council has fixed a uniform tax rate of 28 per cent on both state-run and private lottery.
- It also decided to rationalise the GST rate on woven and non-woven bags to 18 per cent.
- The decisions were taken at the 38th meeting of the Council, chaired by the Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in New Delhi.
- The rates on the lottery and woven and non-woven bags will be effective from the 1st of March next year.
- It was the first time that the GST Council resorted to voting to decide on an issue as it fixed a uniform tax rate on both state and private lotteries.
French carmaker PSA and US-Italian rival Fiat Chrysler sign merger
French carmaker PSA and US-Italian rival Fiat Chrysler have signed an agreement to create the world’s fourth largest automaker.
- The combined group will have a workforce of more than 400,000, total revenues of close to 170 billion euros ($190 million) and annual unit sales of some 8.7 million vehicles of the brands Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Citroen, Dodge, DS, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Opel, Peugeot and Vauxhall.
- The combined group would be headquartered in the Netherlands, and continue to be listed on the Paris, Milan and New York stock exchanges.
- Fiat Chrysler chief John Elkann will be chairman and PSA’s Carlos Tavares chief executive.
IPS officer Atul Karwal appointed as Director of National Police Academy
The Union Government appointed a senior Gujarat Cadre IPS officer Atul Karwal, as Director of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy.
- Atul Karwal, a 1988 batch IPS officer, is currently posted as Additional Director General of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
- The post was vacant as the previous Director of the Police Academy, Abhay, a 1986 batch IPS officer, was posted as Director-General of Police of Odisha.
Sahitya Akademi announces its annual Award
Sahitya Akademi announced its annual Award- 2019 in 23 languages.
- In Hindi, Nand Kishore has been awarded for his Poetry ‘Chheelate Hue Apne Ko’ and in English Dr Shashi Tharoor has been awarded for his Non-Fiction ‘An Era of Darkness’.
- In Tamil, Cho Dharman has been awarded for his Novel ‘Sool’ and in Gujarati, Ratilal Borisagar has been awarded for his Essays ‘Mojama Revu Re’.
- In Sanskrit, Penna Madhusudan will get the award for his Poetry ‘Prajnachakshusham’ and in Urdu, Shafey Kidwai will be awarded for his Biography ‘Sawaneh-E-Sir Syed: Ek Bazdeed’.
Thawarchand Gehlot launches Braille version of ‘Exam Warriors’ written by PM Modi
Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thawarchand Gehlot launched Braille version of the book Exam Warriors written by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi.
- The braille version in English and Hindi has been printed by Rajasthan Netraheen Kalyan Sangh in Jaipur.
- The book will surely benefit visually-impaired students who face mental stress during examinations.
- The book contains a detailed-deion of the animated picture and various yoga asanas which will let students imagine the pictorial graphics with ease.