Daily Current Affairs – International
Bangladesh bans Islamist outfit ‘Allahr Dol’
Government of Bangladesh has banned the Islamist outfit ‘Allahr Dol’ saying that it poses a threat to public safety and security.
- The government would ban eight outfits based on inputs from the intelligence agencies.
- Allah’r Dol was formed in 1995 with the aim to establish Caliphate through armed struggle.
- In 2004 it merged with banned militant organisation Jama’atul Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB).
- Allahr Dol is the ninth Islamist group to be banned for extremism and militancy in Bangladesh.
V Muraleedharan reaches Abu Dhabi to attend IORA meeting
Minister of State in the External Affairs Ministry V Muraleedharan reached Abu Dhabi to attend the Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) meeting.
- He looks forward to fruitful deliberations to strengthen regional cooperation with fellow Indian Ocean states.
- The Minister of State for External Affairs is leading the Indian delegation to attend the 19th IORA Council of Ministers meeting.
- The theme is “Promoting a Shared Destiny and Path to Prosperity in the Indian Ocean.”
- During this week’s ministerial meeting, the United Arab Emirates will take over from South Africa as IORA Chairman, for a two year period running to 2021.
Points to remember
- The Indian Ocean Rim Association (IORA) is an international organisation consisting of 22 coastal states bordering the Indian Ocean.
- Headquarter: Mauritius
Practice Daily GK Current Affairs Quiz:
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 08th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 07th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 06th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 05th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 04th November 2019
Iran begins injecting uranium gas into centrifuges at Fordow
- Iran stepped up activity at its underground Fordow nuclear plant early today (07th November, 2019) – a move France said showed for the first time that Tehran explicitly planned to quit a historic deal with world powers that curbed its disputed nuclear work.
- With the presence of inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Iran started injecting uranium gas into centrifuges in Fordow. The Atomic Energy Organization of Iran also confirmed the operation, which it said started at 00:00 local time today.
- French President Emmanuel Macron called Iran’s latest move ‘grave’, saying it explicitly signalled Iran’s intent for the first time to leave the deal – formally known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.
- Iran insists that the latest move is not a violation of the nuclear deal, but is based on the Articles 26 and 36 of the agreement.
Italian movie ‘Despite the Fog’ to open at 50th IFFI this year
Italian movie ‘Despite the Fog’ will be the opening at the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) this year.
- The film is directed by Europe’s noted filmmaker Goran Paskaljevic.
- The 50th edition of IFFI, beginning 20th of this month in GOA, will witness the screening of over 200 best films from 76 countries.
Daily Current Affairs – National
11th edition of Bal Sangam to begin from Nov 9
The Eleventh edition of Bal Sangam to be organised by the National School of Drama, NSD, will begin from the 9th of this month in the New Delhi.
- It is a confluence of folk and traditional art forms performed by children.
- The four-day festival will showcase enthralling folk and traditional performing arts and folk theatre dedicated to children.
- As many as twelve States including Assam, Odisha, Punjab, Rajasthan and Gujarat are participating in the event.
- The government has decided to set up 25 thousand crore rupees fund to revive stalled housing projects.
- The decision was taken by the Union Cabinet at a meeting held in New Delhi.
- Briefing media after the meeting, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said that the government will put in 10 thousand crore rupees in the Alternative Investment Fund (AIF) while State Bank of India and Life Insurance Corporation will provide 15 thousand crore rupees taking the total size to 25 thousand crore rupees.
- It will finance over 1,600 stalled housing projects comprising about 4.58 lakh housing units across the country.
- The fund will provide relief to developers that require funding to complete a set of unfinished projects and consequently ensure delivery of homes to the home-buyers.
- Union Minister of State for Human Resources Development Sanjay Dhotre launched the Shala Darpan Portal of Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti.
- That it is surprising how the NVS with the help of Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, Noida in a meagre budget of six crore rupees.
- This will integrate all Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas with a common standard which includes around 636 schools and 2.67 million students.
- This single integrated platform has been developed for information sharing and knowledge dissemination for the 22,000 employees and over 2 lakh students across schools and offices of Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti.
- Shala Darpan provides an integrated platform to meet the educational and administrative needs of all stakeholders-students, teachers and parents. It is capable of sending and receiving effective dialogue between every stakeholder.
- The major components include integrated content management portal which consists of 636 websites of Navodaya schools across the country.
- It will contain information relating to the service record, transfer/posting, disciplinary action, ACR tracking and the portal will improve mess management and hostel conditions.
- The major effect will be end to end info sharing, proper analytical details, better transparency in evaluation of teachers and students both, 654 bilingual platform for each schooland role-based access to have better evaluation at every stage.
- The Navodaya Vidyalayas are co-educational residential schools established by the Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti which is an autonomous organization under MHRD to provide quality modern education.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate global investors meet at Dharamshala today (07 November, 2019).
- The two day Global Investors’ Meet will be attended by diplomats, leaders from the corporate sector, senior policymakers, development agencies, entrepreneurs and investors from across the world.
- In view of the Prime Minister’s visit, elaborate security arrangements have been made. All the roads leading to Dharmshala have been smoothened.
- The state government is organizing this summit in order to tap the vast potential of the State in attracting investment in different sectors. The two-day mega event will be graced by the presence of top heads of Indian industry and business besides foreign delegations and Union minister and senior government officials. A large business delegation from UAE and Ambassadors of at least 16 countries would be participating in the meet.
- Meanwhile, Chief Minister Jairam Thakur held a meeting with various industrial houses yesterday at Dharamshala and MoUs worth rupees 10095 corers in different sectors were signed.
- The State government has set a target of signing pacts worth 85,000 crores rupees during the meet.
- Assam State government signed an agreement worth 50 million euros (Rs.400 crore) with the French Development Agency (AFD).
- The agreement aims to help restore the state’s forests and preserve its biodiversity.
- The project reaffirmed the commitment of the two countries towards the restoration and preservation of rich and diverse natural ecosystems.
- The first-ever containerised cargo movement via Indo-Bangladesh protocol route and Brahmaputra river will start from West Bengal’s Haldia.
- The vessel MV Maheshwari, carrying 53 containers of petrochemicals, edible oil and beverage will take 12-15 days to reach the IWAI terminal at Pandu in Assam’s Guwahati.
- National Waterway 2 (NW-2) is a section of the Brahmaputra River.
Daily Current Affairs – Economy
- Union Minister for Steel Dharmendra Pradhan on 06 November, 2019 said that India’s economic growth will be driven by heavy investment in infrastructure, digital economy and job creation in small and medium firms.
- There is a strong positive correlation between steel usage and a nation’s economic growth. He said, the government has been making concerted efforts to make India an attractive investment destination for businesses by providing investment-friendly governance.
- The Minister added that India is on a steady path to become a five trillion dollar economy, with emphasis on both the ease of doing business as well as on ease of living.
- Structural reforms in the areas of insolvency and bankruptcy, indirect tax structure and recent major reduction in corporate taxation are aimed to boost investment and growth.
- 70 per cent of total chrome produced is used in production of stainless steel. He said, steel consumption in the country is set for a quantum jump.
Daily Current Affairs – Bilateral
- India has asked Pakistan to provide the highest level of security to VVIPs visiting Kartarpur as pilgrims.
- Dignitaries who will be crossing over from India to Kartarpur as pilgrims include former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh, Union Ministers Harsimrat Kaur Badal and Hardeep Singh Puri and several MPs.
- Human Resource Development Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ and Food Processing Industries Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal will launch three books on Guru Nanak Dev Ji at Sri Guru Teg Bahadur Khalsa College in Delhi today.
- The National Book Trust has published three titles – Guru Nanak Bani, Nanak Bani, and Sakhian Guru Nanak Dev-to spread the message of Guru Nanak Dev’s writings among readers of Indian sub-continent.
- The Kartarpur Corridor, which will be inaugurated on Saturday, will connect the Dera Baba Nanak shrine in Punjab with Darbar Sahib at Kartarpur in Pakistan.
Daily Current Affairs – Environment
- India will put forward the demand for clean technology at affordable cost and liberal financing from developed countries to developing countries during the forthcoming Madrid Meeting on Climate Change.
- India being on track to fulfill its commitment given at Paris on the issues like emission intensity reduction, share of renewable power in India’s power-mix and other issues such as increasing the forest cover.
- He also pointed out the need to make behavioural change in the public for which public awareness and participation is needed.
- The Minister also called upon the developed world to provide clean technology not for making a profit but at cost price to spread the new technology.
- Developing world suffers from climatic change the most and the developed world should provide financial aid as promised.
Top Current Affairs – Sports
- Deepak Kumar secured India’s 10th Olympic quota in shooting while Manu Bhaker claimed the women’s 10 metres air pistol gold medal in the 14th Asian Championship in Doha on 5 Nov 2019.
- Deepak won a bronze medal in men’s 10 metres air rifle.
- Deepak is the second Indian shooter to earn an Olympic quota in the men’s 10 metres air rifle event after Divyansh Singh Panwar
Rohit Sharma: Register new records during India vs Bangladesh 2nd T20I
Rohit Sharma has achieved another feat during India vs Bangladesh 2nd T20I match. He gave an important victory gift in his 100th T20 International match at Saurashtra Cricket Stadium in Rajkot. India defeated Bangladesh by eight wickets thanks to Rohit’s 85 runs.
Rohit Sharma has also made many records during the match. Rohit Sharma became the first Indian cricketer to play 100 T20 International cricket matches. Rohit achieved this feat while leading the team during the second T20 International against Bangladesh at Rajkot.
100 T20 International Matches
Rohit Sharma has scored 2533 runs in 92 innings of 100 matches at an average of 32 and a strike rate of 137.68. In this short format of Cricket, Rohit Sharma has hit 115 sixes so far. Pakistan’s Shoaib Malik is the only cricketer who played more than 100 T20 internationals. There are 111 matches registered in his name.
Most Sixes by Indian Player
• Rohit hit a total of six sixes in the match. Rohit now has 398 sixes in 348 international matches. Rohit Sharma is currently the only Indian batsman with the most sixes in T20.
• He has made this record for the third consecutive year. Earlier in 2017 and 2018, he became the highest sixes batsman in all three formats of cricket in a calendar year.
• Rohit has scored more than 75 runs in T20 matches for the 10th time, making him the first player to do so in T20 cricket.
Persons in News – Daily Current Affairs
- The UAE’s Supreme Council of the Union has re-elected His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan as its President for a fourth five-year term, in accordance with the provisions of the UAE Constitution.
- President Sheikh Khalifa was first elected President of the UAE by the Supreme Council of the Union on 3rd November, 2004.
- President Sheikh Khalifa accompanied the builder of the UAE renaissance, the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, in the founding stage in the 70s and 80s of the last century.
- After the death of the Founding Father, he led the country and contributed to the prosperity of the UAE, and its prominence locally and globally.
- Four Indian-Americans, including a former White House Technology Policy Adviser, have won state and local elections held in the United States.
- Indian-American Ghazala Hashmi, a former community college professor, created history by becoming the first Muslim woman to be elected to the Virginia State Senate, while Suhas Subramanyam, who served as the White House Technology Policy Adviser to former President Barack Obama, has been elected to the Virginia State House of Representative.
- In her maiden attempt, Hashmi, a Democrat, defeated incumbent Republican State Senator Glen Sturtevant for Virginia’s 10th Senate District, drawing national attention. She currently serves as the founding Director of the Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL) at Reynolds Community College.
- Subramanyam led a task force on technology policy that Obama charged with addressing some of the country’s most challenging technology issues, including job creation and displacement in the technology sector, regulating emerging technology, and addressing cyber-security and IT modernization in the public sector.
- In California, Indian-American Mano Raju won his election to remain San Francisco’s Public Defender. In North Carolina, incumbent Dimple Ajmera, a former Certified Public Accountant, won a convincing re-election to Charlotte City Council.