Daily Vocabulary from The Hindu – Words, Antonyms, Synonyms, and Example.
1. Avalanche (noun): Meaning: (Figurative) the sudden arrival of too many things.
Synonyms: Rush, Flood, Barrage, Deluge, Torrent, Inundation
Antonyms: Trickle, Dribble
Example: We received an avalanche of inquiries.
- Daily Vocabulary from the Hindu 15th November 2019
- Daily Vocabulary from the Hindu 14th November
- Daily Vocabulary from The Hindu 13th November
- Daily Vocabulary from The Hindu 12th November
2. Undermine (Verb): Meaning: Lessen the effectiveness, power, or ability of, especially gradually or insidiously.
Synonyms: Weaken, Undercut, Emasculate, Destabilize, Impair
Antonyms: Bolster, Reinforce, Boost, Strengthen, Enhance
Example: He constantly tried to undermine her self-confidence.
3. Myriad (Adjective): Meaning: Countless or extremely great in number.
Synonyms: Countless, Multitudinous, Legion, Innumerable
Antonyms: Limited, Countable, Finite, Little
Example: Their shop is very popular in market for a myriad of idols.
4. Incur (verb): Meaning: To experience something, usually something unpleasant, as a result of actions you have
Synonyms: Experience, Suffer, Sustain, Encounter, Meet With
Antonyms: Avoid, Dodge, Evade, Elude
Example: They must incur debt if they are to keep abreast.
5. Creditworthiness (noun): Meaning: The state of having enough money for banks to be willing to lend you
Synonyms: Solvency, Affluence, Paying Capacity, Financial Competence
Antonyms: Insolvency, Bankruptcy, Pauperism, Indebtedness
Example: Unpaid medical debts ruined their creditworthiness.
6. Irrationally (adverb): Meaning: In a way that does not use reason or clear thinking.
Synonyms: Illogically, Absurdly, Groundlessly, Nonsensically
Antonyms: Reasonably, Judiciously, Sensibly, Wisely
Example: People often behave irrationally when they are under stress.
7. Heyday (noun): Meaning: The period of a person’s or thing’s greatest success, popularity, activity, or vigour.
Synonyms: Prime, Zenith, Acme, Salad Days, Halcyon Days
Antonyms: Low Point, Nadir, The Pits
Example: In its heyday, the company ran trains every fifteen minutes.
8. Forgo (verb): Meaning: To not do or have something pleasant or enjoyable.
Synonyms: Do Without, Waive, Renounce, Relinquish, Drop
Antonyms: Keep, Hold On to, Retain, Continue
Example: This was a delight he could not forego.
9. Unilaterally (adverb): Meaning: A unilateral action or decision is done by only one of the groups involved in
Synonyms: One-Sidely, Individually, Alone, Singly
Antonyms: Bilaterally, Jointly, Consensually, Together
Example: Employers cannot unilaterally change your contract terms.
10. Exaggerate (verb): Meaning: Represent (something) as being larger, better, or worse than it really is.
Synonyms: Overstate, Overstress, Amplify, Magnify
Antonyms: Play Down Underrate, Underplay, Trivialise
Example: These figures have been greatly exaggerated.