The Aadhaar card is created using the applicant’s personal information as well as biometric data such as IRIS scans and fingerprints. Any information used to generate an Aadhaar number for an applicant is vulnerable to data breaches. The increasing number of Aadhaar card misuse, data breaches, and online theft prompted the UIDAI to take strict measures to prevent it. Locking and unlocking biometric data is part of the action.
In this blog, we will share how to prevent the misuse of Aadhaar cards in an effective manner.
How to Prevent Misuse of an Aadhaar Card?
Following measures should be taken care of to prevent misuse of an Aadhaar card-
- Lock the Aadhaar biometrics
- Do not casually handle the Aadhaar card, keep it in a safe place as it is the most important document to avail a number of services
- Do not share your Aadhaar number with anyone
- Refrain from sharing the Aadhaar card photo with an unknown person
- Never submit the Aadhaar OTP on any third-party website or application
- Do not disclose any Aadhaar-related information to anyone
Except for the locking of Aadhaar biometrics, which necessitates the official completion of the following steps, all other measures are simple to implement.
How to Lock Aadhaar Card Biometrics Online?
UIDAI has given users the option to temporarily lock their biometric details to prevent Aadhaar card misuse. The steps to lock Aadhaar card biometrics details are as follows:
- Visit the official website of UIDAI
- Click on ‘My Aadhaar’, navigate to ‘Aadhaar Services’ and click on ‘Lock/Unlock Biometrics’
- Tick the declaration and click on ‘Lock/Unlock Biometrics’
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and captcha code
- Click on ‘Get OTP’. OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number and remains valid for 10 minutes only
- Once the OTP is entered, click on the locking feature
- Aadhaar biometrics will be locked
Locked biometrics cannot be used for authentication until they are unlocked. The lock/unlock biometric feature is designed to protect the privacy and confidentiality of user biometrics.
How to Unlock Aadhaar Biometrics Online?
The steps to unlock Aadhaar biometrics online are as follows:
- Visit the official UIDAI website
- Click on ‘My Aadhaar’, and select ‘Lock/Unlock Biometrics’
- Tick declaration and click on ‘Lock/Unlock Biometrics’
- Enter Aadhaar number and captcha code
- Click on ‘Get OTP’, enter it to unlock biometrics
- Aadhaar biometrics will be unlocked
How to Lock/Unlock Aadhaar Biometrics via SMS?
UIDAI also allows users to lock/unlock their Aadhaar biometrics via SMS. Follow the steps below to lock or unlock your Aadhaar biometrics:
- To Lock Aadhaar biometrics
Send an OTP request as – GETOTPLast 4 or 8 Digit of Aadhaar Number. After it, send a Locking Request as- LOCKUIDLast 4 or 8 digits of Aadhaar number 6 digit OTP.
A confirmation message will be sent to the user. After locking the Aadhaar biometrics, the user will be unable to use the biometrics for any form of authentication. He/she can, however, use the most recent Virtual ID for authentication.
- To Unlock Aadhaar Biometrics
To use Aadhaar number for authentication purposes, a user can unlock it by doing the following-
Send OTP request with last 6 or 10 digits of Virtual ID number as- GETOTPLast 6 0r 10 digits of Virtual ID. After, Send Unlocking Request as- UNLOCKUIDLast 6 or 10 digit Virtual ID 6 digit OTP.
How to get an Aadhaar Virtual ID?
The steps to obtain an Aadhaar virtual ID are as follows:
- Visit UIDAI official website
- Click on ‘My Aadhaar’ and navigate to ‘Aadhaar Services’ and click on ‘Virtual ID (VID) Generator’
- Enter 12-digit Aadhaar number and captcha code
- Click on ‘Send OTP’, enter it to get Aadhaar Virtual ID
Is it mandatory to submit biometric details for an Aadhaar card?
Yes, it is mandatory to submit biometric details when applying for an Aadhaar card. An Aadhaar card is made by using the applicant’s demographic information and biometric details.
Is it possible to update my biometric details online?
You need to visit the official Aadhaar enrolment centre to update your biometric details.
How much do I need to pay to lock/unlock my biometric details online?
There is no fee charged by UIDAI to lock/unlock biometric details online.
What happens after locking the Aadhaar biometric details?
Once the user locks the Aadhaar biometric details, he/she cannot use biometrics for any form of authentication.
What is the meaning of an Aadhaar biometric lock/unlock feature?
The Aadhaar lock/unlock feature enables the user to lock/unlock Aadhaar biometric details. The feature protects the privacy and confidentiality of the user’s biometric data.