The 1200 Calorie Meal
The amount of calories one consumes daily, is an important aspect of leading a healthy lite as you can measure the calorie intake and include appropriate amount of food and provide the exact amount of nutrients required to sustain and maintain health.
Every individual’s calorie intake is personalized, based on their metabolic rate and the energy expended. Following an approximate calculation, a few meal plans are designed which are standardized, based on the requirement of an individual.
How It Works
If you wish to lose weight, you can opt for a 1000 to 1600 calories diet based on your age, weight and medical condition. A 1200 calorie diet is appropriate for people who wish to lose weight fast, with less or no exercise. However, the potential difficulty to design the 1200 calorie meal plan is to be able to include or cover all the nutritional requirements. Hence, careful planning keeping in mind the individuals tastes, culture, food habits and easily available food is very important.
This meal plan is mostly advised only for adult women and is definitely not something that should be followed by teenagers. Even for adult women, personal supervision by a registered dietician would help to observe any difficulties following the diet and hence the dietician will be able to give her alternatives whenever required. Therefore, always seek assistance when following this diet plan.
The 1200 calorie meal plan should be divided into six smaller meals that are consumed at regular intervals so that there is consistent supply of energy and the person does not feel hungry or sick. The meals should cover all basic food groups such as cereals, dais, fruits and vegetables. it is also advised to not deprive yourself of any healthy
foods in a rush to lose excess weight. The portion size is very important as it calculates the total calorie intake for the day which should be 1200. Keeping a food dairy to check on the portion size every day is a good practice.
Nutrients Division (1200 Calories Meal Plan)
- Breakfast : One fruit + one portion of protein
- Mid-Morning : One protein snack
- Lunch : One cereal + one vegetable + one protein snack
- Mid- Evening Snack : One fruit
- Dinner : One cereal + two vegetables (one should be leafy vegetable) + one protein snack
The Do’s (1200 Calorie Meal)
- Keep the meals small and regular and avoid skipping any meal.
- Keep your body well hydrated by taking enough fluids in the form of water or herbal teas throughout the day.
- It vegetarian, include two servings of protein for lunch/dinner.
- The food choices should be filling and must satisfy your appetite.
- Prefer high fibre fruits and vegetables.
- Salads are the best choice while on a 1200 calorie meal plan.
- Cereals also should be whole grains like jowar, ragi, quinoa and foxtail millet.
- Use oil sparingly.
The Don’ts (1200 Calorie Meal)
- Avoid consuming any type of simple sugars.
- People suffering from diabetes and other chronic conditions should take the advice of their doctor before
- starting the 1200 calorie meal plan.
- Avoid too much of physical or mental energy expenditure.
- Do not consume alcohol and do not smoke while on the diet.