GK Current Affairs Quiz 24th December 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease.
Q. Manuel Marrero Cruz has been appointed as the Prime Minister of which nation?
Answer: (c) Cuba
Explanation: Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel has appointed Manuel Marrero Cruz as the new Prime Minister of the nation. Cruz earlier served as the tourism minister of the nation. The post of Prime Minister was abolished in Cuba in 1976 by Fidel Castro and was restored in 2019.
Q. When is National Farmers Day observed in India?
(a) 21st December
(b) 22nd December
(c) 23rd December
(d) 24th December
Answer: (c ) 23 December
Explanation: Every Year India celebrates National Farmers Day on December 23 to mark birth anniversary of Former PM Chaudhary Charan Singh. This day honors Chaudhary Charan Singh’s efforts for farmers. He was also known as the ‘Farmers’ Leader’.
Q. When is National Mathematics Day observed every year in India?
(a) 20th December
(b) 15th December
(c) 10th December
(d) 22nd December
Answer: (d) 22 December
Explanation: Every year, National Mathematics Day is observed on December 22 in India. This day is observed in memory of the great mathematician Srinivasa Iyengar Ramanujan. Srinivasa Ramanujan was born on 22 December 1887 in Erode Nagar, Madras.
Q. Who among the following was recently appointed as the director of the National Science Foundation (NSF) of America?
(a) Rahul Sachdeva
(b) Pankaj Agnihotri
(c) Sethuraman Panchanathan
(d) Pramod Mistri
Answer: (c) Sethuraman Panchanathan
Explanation: Indian American Sethuraman Panchanathan was recently appointed as the director of the National Science Foundation (NSF) of America. US President Donald Trump has recently approved his assignment. The US government body National Science Foundation (NSF) assists research in all non-medical fields, including science and engineering.
Q. The President of the United States has appointed Sethuraman Panchanathan to be head of which organization?
(d) World Vision International
Answer: (b) NSF
Donald Trump the President of the United States has chosen Indian-American computer scientist Sethuraman Panchanathan to lead the National Science Foundation (NSF). He will replace France Cordova when her 6-year term as the NSF Director ends in 2020. The position of NSF Director will be fixed by the Senate of the state.
Q. When is the National Farmers Day observed in India?
(a) 22 December 2019
(b) 23 December 2019
(c) 20 December 2019
(d) 21 December 2019
Answer: (b) 23 December 2019
National Farmers Day is celebrated on December 23 every year. The Government of India had decided to celebrate Farmers Day in the year 2001. Every year India celebrates National Farmers Day on December 23 to mark former Prime Minister of India Chaudhary Charan Singh’s birth anniversary. The government organizes many programs and debates, seminars on agriculture on this day. National Farmers Day is celebrated every year especially in those states which are predominantly are engaged in farming such as Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh among others. Chaudhary Charan Singh was also known as a farmer’s leader.
Q. Which film won the ‘Best Hindi Film’ award at the 66th National Film Awards?
(b) Badhai Ho
Answer: (a) Andhadhun
Explanation: Andhadhun won the National film Award in the ‘Best Hindi Film’ category at the 66th National Film Awards.
Q. Who won the National Film award for ‘Best Direction’?
(a) Sanjay Leela Bhansali
(b) Sriram Raghavan
(c) Aditya Dhar
(d) Amit Sharma
Answer: (c) Aditya Dhar
Explanation: Aditya Dhar won the National Film Award for ‘Best Direction’ for his movie, Uri: The Surgical Strike.
Q. Which among the following parties is not a part of the pre-poll opposition alliance in Jharkhand?
Answer: (d) JVM
Explanation: Babulal Marandi’s Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantrik) is not a part of the pre-poll opposition alliance formed for the Jharkhand Assembly Elections 2019. The pre-poll opposition alliance comprises the Indian National Congress, Jharkhand Mukti Morcha and the Rashtriya Janata Dal.
Q. Which country recently declared emergency in Galapagos Islands?
Answer: (d) Ecuador
Explanation: The government of Ecuador has recently declared emergency in Galapagos Islands after fuel spilled in the Galapagos Islands. A barge carrying 600 gallons of diesel fuel sank in the region recently. The Galapagos Island is a UNESCO World Heritage Site which is home to the most fragile ecosystems on the earth.
Q. Which Indian cricketer completed 15 years in international cricket on December 23, 2019?
(a) Virat Kohli
(b) Rohit Sharma
(c) MS Dhoni
(d) Shikhar Dhawan
Answer: (c) MS Dhoni
Explanation: MS Dhoni, two-time world-cup winning former Indian captain completed 15 years in international cricket on December 23, 2019. Dhoni had made his debut in 2004 against Bangladesh. He has played in 350 ODIs, 90 Tests and 98 T20Is.
Q. Which South African cricketer has announced his retirement plan from all forms of cricket?
(a) Kagiso Rabada
(b) Vernon Philander
(c) Rassie van der Dussen
(d) David Miller
Answer: (b) Vernon Philander
Explanation: South African all-rounder Vernon Philander has announced his retirement plan after England test-series. The cricketer has played 97 matches in all three formats of cricket. He has scores 1784 runs and picked up 261 wickets.
Q. What is the name of the newly appointed Chief Justice of Pakistan?
(a) Qamar Bajwa
(b) Gulzar Ahmed
(c) Sadq Sanjrani
(d) Arif Alvi
Answer: (b) Gulzar Ahmed
Justice Gulzar Ahmed is appointed as the 27th Chief Justice of Pakistan. He takes over from Chief Justice Asif Saeed Khosa, whose tenure came to an end after serving as the country’s top judge from January this year. The new Chief Justice will remain in office until February 21, 2022.
Q. Which Bank of India crossed the $100 Billion mark in Intraday trading?
(b) Andhra Bank
(d) Yes Bank
Answer: (c) HDFC
HDFC Bank Ltd crossed the $100 billion market capitalization (M-Cap) in intraday trading, this makes it the third company in India to reach this milestone. Although, it closed below $100 billion mark at $99.5 billion it still makes HDFC as one of India’s topmost private-sector lenders.
Q. Which department of the Indian Railways and the University of Birmingham signed an MoU to set up its first Centre of Excellence for Next-Generation Transportation Systems?
(b) Rail Vikas Nigam
Answer: (d) NRTI
A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the University of Birmingham and the National Rail Transport Institute (NRTI). It was signed in Rail Bhawan, New Delhi to set up its first Centre of Excellence for Next-Generation Transportation Systems. NRTI is deemed to be university under the Union Ministry of Railways.
Daily Current Affairs – International
Ecuador declares emergency after Galapagos fuel spill
Ecuador activated emergency protocols to contain the environmental impact of a fuel spill in the Galapagos Islands, after a barge carrying 600 gallons of diesel fuel sank.
- The Galapagos archipelago, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is home to one of the most fragile ecosystems on the planet.
- The accident occurred in a port on San Cristobal Island, the easternmost island in the chain, when a crane collapsed while loading a container onto the barge.
Daily Current Affairs – National
National Farmers Day: 23 December
December 23 is celebrated as ‘Kisan Diwas’ or ‘National Farmers’ Day’ every year.
- The day honours Chaudhary Charan Singh, the 5th Prime Minister of India who was born this day.
- It is believed that ‘Zamindari Abolition Bill-1952’ was passed due to Chaudhary Charan Singh’s hard work.
- He served as the Prime Minister of India between 28 July 1979 and 14 January 1980.
India constructs Girls’ Hostel for Nepal Armed Police Force School at Kirtipur
The Government of India has constructed Girls’ Hostel for Nepal Armed Police Force School, Kirtipur.
- Deputy Chief of Mission, Embassy of India, Dr Ajay Kumar inaugurated hostel building at Kirtipur in Kathmandu district.
- Nepal Armed Police Force (APF) School is an academic institution created under the APF Welfare Service Centre of Nepal Armed Police Force.
- The school was established in 2005 and it has over 21 per cent of girls students.
- The new infrastructure constructed with the Government of India’s grant assistance of 40.42 million Nepali Rupees is a two-storied girls’ hostel.
Integral Coach Factory produces 3000 Coaches in record 215 days
Integral Coach Factory (ICF) of Indian Railways, Chennai has produced its 3000th coach of the year in less than nine months.
- This would help in meeting the growing demand for coaches.
- The number of working days to achieve the above figure has been reduced from 289 days in the last year to 215 days in the current year.
- Points to Remember
- Integral Coach Factory is a manufacturer of rail coaches located in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- It was established in 1952, is owned and operated by the Indian Railways.
Prez Kovind releases mobile app of Red Cross Society of India in Hyderabad
President Ram Nath Kovind released the mobile app of the Red Cross Society of India in Hyderabad.
- He inaugurated the mobile app formally at a dinner hosted by Telangana governor Tamilisai Sounderarajan at Rajbhavan in his honour.
- Developed by the Telangana Centre for Good Governance in less than three months, the mobile app is accessible in all languages.
- So far, 13 lakh members including junior red cross members downloaded the app.
EChO Network launched to catalyze cross-disciplinary leadership in India
Prof. K VijayRaghavan, Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India, launched EChO Network program to foster cross-disciplinary leadership in India.
- Named the EChO Network, it focuses on increasing research, knowledge, and awareness of Indian ecology and the environment.
- It is hoped that this program would develop a national network to catalyse a new generation of Indians who can solve real-world problems in medicine, agriculture, ecology, and technology.
- The network aims to identify gaps in knowledge regarding environment and then train leaders in research and outreach on these topics.
‘Chilai-Kalan’ begins in Jammu & Kashmir
The 40-day harshest winter period in Kashmir, known in the local parlance as ‘Chillai-Kalan’, began with the upper reaches of the valley receiving snowfall.
- These 40 days are when the chances of snowfall are the highest and the maximum temperature drops considerably.
- The night temperature across Kashmir Valley improved by several degrees last night due to the cloudy sky.
- Srinagar recorded minimum temperature at 1.2 degree Celsius with day temperature settling at 9.6 degrees Celsius.
- The Srinagar-Leh highway and Mughal Road continues to remain closed for vehicular traffic.
‘Oxygen Parlour’ at Nashik Railway Station to combat air pollution
In a unique initiative to battle rising air pollution in cities, an ‘Oxygen Parlour’ has been opened at Nashik railway station to provide an experience of breathing clean air to the commuters.
- The initiative comes with the efforts of Airo Guard in collaboration with the Indian Railways.
- The concept of Oxygen Parlour is based on the recommendation of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
- In 1989, NASA had conducted a study in which they identified some plants that better absorb the five most harmful pollutants from the air.
- These plants can clean the air in an area of 10X10 feet around them.
Rajasthan government starts first Janta Clinic
Rajasthan Chief Minister Gehlot inaugurated the first Janta clinic at in the Malviya Nagar area of Jaipur to provide free primary health care to people living in slums.
- In its first phase, 12 Janta Clinics will be opened in Jaipur where people would get free medicines, and free medical examination in some cases.
- Later, in the second and third phases of this scheme, Janta Clinics will be opened in other areas.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
Qatar to host African Football Super Cup until 2022
Qatar Football Association signed an agreement with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) stipulating that Doha will host the African Super Cup for the next three years.
- The African Super Cup in Doha with the next edition will be held on February 14, 2020 .
- At the beginning of this year, Qatar hosted the African Super Cup for the first time when the Moroccan “Confederation” champion of the Confederation succeeded in beating the Tunisian “champions” Esperance 2-1.