GK Current Affairs Quiz October 18th, 2019: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. Instantly obtain Latest Daily Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 18 October 2019 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation.
GK or General Awareness section can be the easiest section in all government, banking, SSC, railways exams when followed regularly. Aspirants of competitive exams such as IBPS, UPSC, SSC, SSC CPO, SSC CGL, Bank PO, Bank Clerk, IBPS, Railways, Government Jobs, UPPSC, MPSC, APPSC, TSPSC, SI, Constables etc can refer to the general knowledge questions and answers daily from this series of articles.
GK Current Affairs Quiz October 18, 2019
Q. Who chairs the Asia Health 2019 Conference?
D.Dr. Jitendra Singh
Answer: Option D
Explanation: Dr. Jitendra Singh chairs the Asia Health 2019 Conference.
Q. Who inaugurates 20th All India Conference?
A. Shri G Kishan Reddy
B.Shri Vikram Sharma
C.Shri Dinesh Kumar
D.Shri Naresh Iyer
Answer: Option A
Explanation: Shri G Kishan Reddy inaugurates 20th All India Conference.The conference attended through organizations/ States/UTs. Around 80 Fingerprint experts/delegates from across the country attended the inaugural function.
Q. Which state tops the Innovation Index 2019 launched by the NITI Aayog?
Answer: Option A
Explanation: NITI Aayog -Institute for Competitiveness as the knowledge partner, released the India Innovation Index (III) 2019. Karnataka is the innovative primary state in India, and it topped the Index list.
Q. What is the theme for the 2019 Global Handwashing Day?
A. Clean hands make the world go round
B. Fight germ warfare
C. Infection control is in your hands
D. Clean Hands for All
Answer: Option D
Explanation: The theme for the 2019 Global Handwashing Day is Clean Hands for All. The theme focuses that no one should be left behind in the Sustainable Development Agenda. The theme promotes handwashing programs. It should be known that it can put individuals at higher risk for diseases that impact their health, education, and economic outcomes.
Q. How many Unicorns, start-ups, did Hurun Research find across the world based in 25 countries and 118 cities?
Answer: Option B
Explanation: Hurun Research found 494 Unicorns across the world based in 25 countries and 118 cities. The unicorns were worth $3.4 billion on average and $1.7 trillion in total.
Q. India is the _______ largest producer of coffee in the world.
Answer: Option B
Explanation: India is the sixth-largest producer of coffee in the world. It produces about 5% of the total world coffee production. Countries like India, Vietnam, Indonesia, Nepal account for almost 33% of the world’s coffee production in Asia.
Q. When is the World Maths Day observed?
A. 18 September
B. 15 October
C. 15 May
D. 12 April
Answer: Option B
Explanation: World Maths Day is celebrated on 15 October every year. The Day aims to encourage students globally to take part in competitive math-themed games. The winners of the events will be given an opportunity to win prizes and scholarships.
Q. Which of the following country announced the establishment of the Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence( MBZUAI)?
(a) Saudi Arabia
Explaination: UAE announced the establishment of the Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence( MBZUAI) in Abu Dhabi.
Q. What is the theme of Indian Handicrafts and Gifts Fair (IHGF) 2019?
(a) Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
(b) Reuse, Reduce, Recycle
(c) Reduce, Recycle, Reuse
(d) Recycle, Reduce, Reuse
(e) Reuse, Recycle, Reduce
Explaination: Textiles Secretary, Ravi Capoor, inaugurated the 48th edition of the Indian Handicrafts and Gifts Fair (IHGF) at the India Expo Centre & Mart at Greater Noida. The theme of IHGF-Delhi Fair 2019: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
Q. What is the theme of International Day for the Eradication of Poverty 2019?
(a) Building a sustainable future: Coming together to end poverty and discrimination
(b) Coming together with those furthest behind to build an inclusive world of universal respect for human rights and dignity
(c) Acting Together to Empower Children, their Families and Communities to End Poverty
(d) Answering the Call of October 17 to end poverty: A path toward peaceful and inclusive societies
(e) Ending poverty in all its forms
Explaination: The United Nations’ (UN) International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed on October 17 and the theme of 2019 edition is “Acting Together to Empower Children, their Families and Communities to End Poverty”.
Q. What is the length of India’s longest Tunnel Chenani- Nashri on NH 44, in Jammu and Kashmir?
(a) 11.3 km
(b) 9.2 km
(c) 6.5 km
(d) 7.2 km
(e) 8.6 km
Explaination: Chenani- Nashri Tunnel on NH 44, in Jammu and Kashmir. It is India’s longest road tunnel with a length of 9.2 km.
Q. The Indian football team won the 3rd Edition of the SAFF U-15 Women’s Championships 2019 by beating _________________ by 5-3 in the penalty shoot-out.
Explaination: The Indian football team won the 3rd Edition of the SAFF U-15 Women’s Championships 2019 by beating Bangladesh by 5-3 in the penalty shoot-out.
Q. India ranks _________ in the 2019 Hurun Global Unicorn List.
Answer: Option A
Explanation: India ranked third in the 2019 Hurun Global Unicorn List. It accounts for 21 of the world’s 494 unicorns. China topped the list with 206 Unicorns, followed by the US with 203 Unicorns. The first edition of the Hurun Global Unicorn List 2019 was released by the Hurun Research Institute. The list is a ranking of the world’s billion-dollar tech start-ups that were founded in the 2000s and not yet listed on a public exchange.
Q. Which State government is signing an MoU with NASSCOM to create more jobs for the youth by promoting investment in the information technology sector?
D. Madhya Pradesh
Answer: Option D
Explanation: Madhya Pradesh State government is to sign an MoU with the National Organization of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) on 17 October. The agreement aims to create more jobs for the youth by promoting investment in information technology, sector. Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath has approved the proposal. The move has been considered as an important step for the IT sector.
Q. Which a mobile app did Maharashtra State government launch to minimize the loss of life by making roads safe for driving?
A. Road-Seva Maharashtra
B. e-RServ Maharashtra
C. MRADMS Maharashtra
D. None of the above
Answer: Option C
Explanation: The Maharashtra Highway Police launched MRADMS Maharashtra, a mobile application, for its personnel on 16 October. The app will collect and analyze the data related to road accidents in the state. Maharashtra state highway police will conduct training programs for its personnel on how to use the app. The aim of the app is to minimize the loss of life by making roads safe for driving.
Q. Who is the Chairman of the Competition Commission of India (CCI)?
C.Vijay Kumar Agarwal
Answer: Option A
Explanation: Competition Commission of India (CCI) was formed on 14 October 2003. The chairman is Vijay Kumar Agarwal. The Secretary of CCI is PK Singh. CCI is responsible for enforcing the Competition Act 2002 across India. It aims to prevent activities that will cause an appreciable adverse effect on competition in India. CCI is a Trade Practices Commission.
Q. What was the base year for the 2019 World Giving Index (WGI)?
Answer: Option C
Explanation: India ranked 82nd in the 2019 World Giving Index (WGI). The survey ranking was released by the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF), an international organization. It aims to promote giving to transform lives and communities across the world. The survey was conducted by CAF over the past decade, 2009 to 2018. The survey covered 1.3 million people worldwide.
Q. What percentage of growth was recorded in the recently concluded Livestock Census in India as compared to the year 2012?
a. 4.63 percent
b. 3.96 percent
c. 2.34 percent
d. 1.71 percent
Answer: (a) 4.63 percent
Explanation: The livestock population in India has increased by 4.63% from 512 million to 535 million. UP has recorded as the highest number of livestock at 67.8 million. In India 192 million Cattle and 109 million buffalos are present.
Q. When International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed?
a. 16 October
b. 17 October
c. 18 October
d. 19 October
Answer: (b) 17 October
Explanation: The main objective of this day is to create awareness about the efforts being made to eradicate poverty from the world community. The International Poverty Eradication Day was announced by the United Nations on 22 October 1992.
Q. How many ‘Sewa Service’ trains flagged off by Railways Minister Piyush Goyal?
Explaination: Railways Minister Piyush Goyal flagged off 9 ‘Sewa Service’ trains. These trains are connecting small towns to major cities.
Q. India handed over the second pair of Mi-24V helicopters to war-torn ____________, boosting the capability of the Air forces.
(a) Sri Lanka
Explaination: India handed over the second pair of Mi-24V helicopters to war-torn Afghanistan, boosting the capability of the Afghan Air forces.
Q. Mastercard, along with cricketer __________________ , launched a nationwide initiative ‘Team Cashless India’ to accelerate the acceptance and adoption of digital payments.
(a) Hardik Pandya
(b) Rohit Sharma
(c) Mahendra Singh Dhoni
(d) Virat Kohli
(e) Ravindra Jadeja
Explaination: Mastercard, along with cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni, launched a nationwide initiative ‘Team Cashless India’ to accelerate the acceptance and adoption of digital payments.
Q. The death anniversary of the mystic bard Fakir Lalon Shah is being observed in Bangladesh. In which of the following year Fakir Lalon Shah died?
Explaination: The 129th death anniversary of the mystic bard Fakir Lalon Shah is being observed in Bangladesh. He was died in 1890.
Q. Which of the following state celebrates Shirui Lily Festival?
(c) Arunachal Pradesh
Explaination: Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism and Culture Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated Shirui Lily Festival, 2019 at Shirui Vangayan Ground of Ukhrul in Manipur.
Q. Who among the football player received his 6th Golden Shoe as the top scorer in the European leagues?
(a) Neymar Da Silva Santos
(b) Zlatan Ibrahimovic
(c) Andres Iniesta
(d) Cristiano Ronaldo
(e) Leo Messi
Explaination: Barcelona captain Leo Messi received his 6th Golden Shoe as the top scorer in the European leagues.
Q. India’s longest Tunnel Chenani- Nashri on NH 44, in _______________ will be named after Bhartiya Jansangh Founder Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee.
(a) Andhra Pradesh
(c) Jammu and Kashmir
Explaination: India’s longest Tunnel Chenani- Nashri on NH 44, in Jammu and Kashmir will be named after Bhartiya Jansangh Founder Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee.
Q. The 17-year-old Mumbai teenager_______________ make history as he became the youngest cricketer in the world to score a double century in One Day cricket.
(a) Ayush Jethwa
(b) Aman Tiwari
(c) Aayush Zimare
(d) Yashasvi Jaiswal
(e) Bhargav Patil
Explaination: The 17-year-old Mumbai teenager Yashasvi Jaiswal make history as he became the youngest cricketer in the world to score a double century in One Day cricket.
Q. Which of the following day is observed as United Nations International Day for the Eradication of Poverty?
(a) 15 October
(b) 19 October
(c) 18 October
(d) 16 October
(e) 17 October
Explaination: The United Nations’ (UN) International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed on October 17 each year since 1993.
Q. Textiles Secretary, Ravi Capoor, inaugurated the ______________ of the Indian Handicrafts and Gifts Fair (IHGF) at the India Expo Centre & Mart at Greater Noida.
(a) 48th edition
(b) 47th edition
(c) 46th edition
(d) 45th edition
(e) 44th edition
Explaination: Textiles Secretary, Ravi Capoor, inaugurated the 48th edition of the Indian Handicrafts and Gifts Fair (IHGF) at the India Expo Centre & Mart at Greater Noida.
Q. Which of the following footballer has won this year’s Golden Shoe title?
a. Harry Ken
b. Cristiano Ronaldo
c. Vergil Van
d. Lionel Messi
Answer: (d) Lionel Messi
Explanation: Argentine footballer Lionel Messi was awarded the Golden Shoe Award for the sixth time for scoring 36 goals for Barcelona. He is the first player to win this award for three consecutive years.
Q. From how many days the Supreme Court was hearing the case of Ayodhya land dispute?
Answer: (a) 40
Explanation: The Supreme Court has kept its verdict reserved after completion of Ayodhya Case hearing. The final verdict will come after 23 days. The Supreme Court heard the Ram Janmabhoomi and Babri Masjid case on 16 October 2019 which was the 40th day of the case.
Q. How much fine has recently imposed on SBM Bank (India) by the Reserve Bank of India?
a. 5 cr
b. 4 cr
c. 6 cr
d. 3 cr
Answer: (d) 3 cr
Explanation: This penalty has been imposed on SBM Bank (India) for not complying with the regulatory rules. SBM Bank (Mauritius) has been merged with SBM Bank (India).
Q. How many UAE players have been suspended by the ICC recently on corruption charges?
Answer: (a) 3
Explanation: The ICC has accused national team batsman Sheman Anwar, Captain Mohammad Naveed and right-arm fast bowler Qadir Ahmed. Another cricketer Mehrdip Chhayakar, who took part in cricket through the Ajman League, has been accused of refusing to cooperate to the ICC.
Q. Which scheme has been launched by the Central Government to encourage girl students to pursue STEM education?
a. Jyoti Anand Yojana
b. Vigyan Jyoti Yojana
c. Naari Kalyan Yojana
Answer: (b) Vigyan Jyoti Yojana
Explanation: Through this scheme, 100 girls from 550 districts will be trained by the year 2020-2025. The qualified students will be chosen according to their marks in the exams. Girls from class 9 to 12 will be included under this scheme.
Q. Which of the following actress has made a world record of getting more than 1 million followers on Instagram in 5 hours 16 minutes?
a. Priyanka Chopra
b. Kylie Minogue
c. Sandra Bullock
d. Jennifer Aniston
Answer: (d) Jennifer Aniston
Explanation: More than one million people started following Jennifer Aniston’s Instagram account in 5 hours 16 minutes. She joined Instagram on October 16 and shared her first picture on the account.
Q. Which Chief Minister of an Indian state has recently biked 122 kilometres to promote adventure tourism in his state?
a. Jaganmohan Reddy
b. Arvind Kejriwal
c. Pema Khandu
d. Nitish Kumar
Answer: (c) Pema Khandu
Explanation: The chief minister of Arunachal Pradesh Pema Khandu rode a motorcycle for more than 122 kilometres to promote adventure tourism in his state. He also gave a message through this trip that Arunachal Pradesh is the safest place for biking.
Q. Which State/UT Chief Minister has announced the Odd-Even scheme to curb pollution starting from November 4 to 15?
Answer: (b) Delhi
Explanation: Chief Minister of Delhi Arvind Kejriwal announced that vehicles carrying school children (in uniform) will be exempted from the Odd-Even restrictions in Delhi that will kick in from November 4 to 15. Women who drive alone, or with a child up to 12 years old will also be exempted.
Q. Which Country topped the 2019 Hurun Global Unicorn List?
Answer: Option B
Explanation: India ranked third in the 2019 Hurun Global Unicorn List. It accounts for 21 of the world’s 494 unicorns. China topped the list with 206 Unicorns, followed by the US with 203 Unicorns. The first edition of the Hurun Global Unicorn List 2019 was released by the Hurun Research Institute.
Q. Who instituted the World Maths Day?
C. 3P Learning
D. Wiz Ltd.
Answer: Option C
Explanation: The World Maths Day was first instituted by 3P Learning in 2007. The 3P Learning company was founded in 2003 and is headquartered in Sydney, Australia. The company partnered with United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) to reach children with learning resources and teaching aids across the world.
Q. When is the Global Handwashing Day observed?
A. 10 October
B. 15 October
C. 2 November
D. 11 November
Answer: Option B
Explanation: Global Handwashing Day is celebrated on 15 October every year. The Day is observed to increase awareness and understanding about the importance of handwashing with soap. It also encourages people to hand as it is an effective and affordable way to prevent diseases and save lives.
Q. Which Country is to host the 5th Edition of the World Coffee Conference?
Answer: Option B
Explanation: Bengaluru has been selected to host the 5th Edition of World Coffee Conference from 7-9 September 2020. International Coffee Organization (ICO) that functions under the United Nations. The Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India, will host the 3-day event. The theme of the conference is Sustainability Through Consumption.
Q. Who released the Asia-Pacific Trade and Investment Report (APTIR) 2019?
A. UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP)
B. United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
C. World Trade Organization (WTO)
Answer: Option D
Explanation: The Asia-Pacific Trade and Investment Report (APTIR) was jointly released by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD). The theme of 2019 APTIR is Navigating Non-tariff Measures (NTMs) towards Sustainable Development.
Q. What is the theme of the 2019 Asia-Pacific Trade and Investment Report (APTIR)?
A. Indirect tax Measures (ITM)
B. International tariff Measures (ITM)
C. Non-tariff measures (NTMs)
D. None of the above
Answer: Option C
Explanation: The theme of the 2019 Asia-Pacific Trade and Investment Report (APTIR) is Navigating Non-tariff Measures (NTMs) towards Sustainable Development. The report provided an overview of NTM trends and developments in Asia and the Pacific region.
GK 18th October 2019 Current Affairs | Daily Top Current Affairs One Liners
Maldives calls for better collaboration with Indian business entities to boost trade between 2 countries
- The Maldives has called for better collaboration with Indian business entities to explore new avenues to diversify its economy.
- Maldives Minister for economic development Fayyaz Ismail said there is a huge potential in the economies of both the countries, especially in the quest to diversify.
- Medical tourism and food processing offer numerous possibilities. The minister said the close cooperation between Maldives President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih and Prime Minister Narendra Modi led to a very good development between the two countries in the last year (2018).
- Both the leaders share a special bond that has been instrumental in creating this atmosphere, besides the cultural and traditional relationship.
- Indian expo mainly focuses on exploring business opportunities between the Maldives and Kerala. It is being attended by several Indian companies in collaboration with FICCI.
Can’t recognize what UN signed with past Sri Lankan govts: Ex-defence secretary Gotabaya Rajapksa
- Sri Lanka’s Presidential candidate and former defence secretary Gotabaya Rajapksa won’t recognize an agreement with the UN human rights council to investigate alleged war crimes during the LTTE war.
- Mr Gotabaya will always work with the United Nations, but can’t recognize what they have signed with past Sri Lankan governments.
- His party has already rejected that and on this issue, their policies and the present government policies are far apart.
- The current government has a co-sponsored resolution in 2015 to investigate the war crimes and set up several commissions. An Office of missing persons has already been set up as part of that.
- The former defence secretary added that the issue of missing persons is related to those deaths whose bodies could not be retrieved in war conditions.
- Mr Gotabaya asserted that he will be the President of future Sri Lanka and will like to leave the past behind.
- He will try to ensure dignity for all sections of society and their development.
- SLPP Government will take forward a neutral stand on its foreign policy.
- The Government will need to be realistic and ensure it maintains a good relationship with all countries.
- Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, who is the elder brother of Mr Gotabaya and other coalition party leaders were present on the occasion.
Minister of State External Affairs V Muraleedharan on 2-day visit to UAE
- Minister of State for External Affairs V Muraleedharan is on a two day official visit to UAE from 16 October 2019.
- He is expected to participate in the ministerial level meeting of the Abu Dhabi Dialogue (ADD).
- The Minister is also scheduled to participate in the Indian Community function being held in Sharjah.
- The Abu Dhabi Dialogue (ADD) was established in 2008.
Three accused in PMC Bank scam remanded to judicial custody till 23rd October
- A Mumbai court has remanded three of the accused in PMC Bank scam to judicial custody till 23rd October.
- The three accused, chairman and managing director of Housing Development Infrastructure Limited, Rakesh Wadhawan, his son Sarang and PMC Bank’s former chairman Waryam Singh were produced before Metropolitan Magistrate S G Shaikh.
- Later in the day, the Enforcement Directorate approached Mumbai’s special court for Prevention of Money Laundering Act cases, seeking the Wadhawans’ custody.
- The court asked the ED to complete necessary formalities and adjourned its plea without giving a specific date.
- Earlier this month, Economic Offences Wing of the Mumbai Police had registered a case against the Wadhawans and top officials of PMC Bank for allegedly causing losses to the tune of 4,355 crore rupees to the bank.
By-polls for 2 Lok Sabha seats and 51 assembly constituencies to be held on Oct 21
- Along with Assembly polls in Maharashtra and Haryana, By-polls will be held in Samastipur Lok Sabha seat in Bihar and Satara Lok Sabha seat in Maharashtra on 21st October, 2019.
- By-elections to 51 Assembly Constituencies of 17 States will be held on the same day.
- 11 seats of Uttar Pradesh, 6 of Gujarat, 5 seats each in Kerala and Bihar, 3 in Sikkim, 4 each of Punjab and Assam, 2 each of Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan and Himachal Pradesh and one seat each in Odisha, Telangana, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Meghalaya, Pudducherry and Arunachal Pradesh will go to polls.
- Political parties are trying their best to woo the voters in the constituencies as only three days are left for campaigning.
Skilling people, providing jobs in rural & tribal areas should be priority: Nitin Gadkari
- Union Minister for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Nitin Gadkari skilling people and providing jobs in rural and tribal areas should be a priority.
- It was important to build skilling capabilities for both urban and rural areas.
- The MSME sector has enormous scope for growth and a great need of skilled manpower for sericulture, horticulture, tribal arts and paintings, honey, bamboo, sectors that have great potential of becoming export-strength for the country.
- The 15-day Apprenticeship Pakhwada saw state governments and the industry come together for a commitment of 7 lakh apprentices in the current fiscal.
Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot alleges NDA government of misusing ED, CBI
- Senior Congress leader and Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot alleged that the BJP is wearing a mask of democracy while doing politics.
- He also alleged that BJP-led NDA government is misusing the Enforcement Directorate (ED) and the CBI by initiating inquiries against leaders from Opposition parties, just before the polls.
- Nobody had heard for the last five years that there is any case against NCP chief Sharad Pawar and Praful Patel for corruption.
- But, just days before the polls, Praful Patel has been served summons by the ED to appear before it.
- Sharad Pawar was named in a money laundering case filed by the ED in connection with an alleged scam at Maharashtra State Cooperative Bank last month (September, 2019).
Food Safety Mitra scheme launched on the World Food Day
- On the occasion of World Food Day, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Dr Harsh Vardhan launched Food Safety Mitra Scheme, Eat Right Jacket and Eat Right Jhola.
- Addressing a gathering in New Delhi, he said, Eat Right India and Fit India Campaign can prove to be a big success with the right strategy and implementation. The Minister urged people to reduce ghee, salt and ghee in food.
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has introduced scheme of Food Safety Mitra (FSM) through which it plans to engage motivated individuals with the food safety ecosystem at ground level.
- A FSM is an individual professional certified by FSSAI who assists in compliances related to FSS Act, Rules & Regulations with three avatars- Digital Mitra, Trainer Mitra and Hygiene Mitra depending upon their respective roles and responsibilities. During the event, the Minister also launched Eat Right Jhola which is a reusable, washable and bio-degradable bag.
- Eat Right Smart Jacket has been introduced to giving an identity to FSSAI staff to ensure transparent inspection.
- It’s embedded with an RFID tag and QR code. It is linked to software to capture entry of inspection staff into premise for monitoring.
- At a separate event in New Delhi, Chief Economic Advisor Dr Krishnamurthy Subramanian called upon people to avoid wastage of food and feed the poor and hungry instead.
- Behavioral economics is very important for Eat Right India campaign.
Indian Railways to become ‘net zero’ carbon emitter by 2030
- As part of India’s strategy to combat climate change, Indian Railways will become net zero carbon emitter by 2030.
- India is the biggest emitter of greenhouse gases after the US and China, and is among countries most vulnerable to climate change.
- Meanwhile, the national carrier has a rail network of around 125,000km, making it the world’s largest railway network under a single management.
Ministry of Shipping (MoS) Organized the 17th Meeting of Maritime States Development Council (MSDC)
- The Ministry of Shipping is working on a plan to develop a national port grid based on the synergy between major and minor ports in the country.
- The 17th Meeting of Maritime States Development Council (MSDC) was held on 15th October 2019.
- The government is looking at developing synergy between the major and minor ports so that together they can bring port-led development in the country.
Air India becomes first airline to use Taxibot
- Air India became the first airline in the world to use a TaxiBot on an Airbus A320 aircraft operating a commercial flight with passengers onboard.
- A TaxiBot or a Taxiing Robot is a pilot-controlled semi-robotic towbar-less aircraft tractor used as an alternate taxiing equipment.
- It is used for taxiing an aircraft from parking bay to runway and vice versa.
UP government makes women as nodal officers
- UP government has made women officers as nodal officers and directed them to go to their respective districts and review the implementation of welfare schemes for women.
- 3-member teams of women officers will visit their allocated districts on October 18, 19 and 20, 2019.
- They will make women aware about the various government schemes such as Ujjwala Yojna, Mission Indradhanush.
Rupee appreciates by 11paise at 71.43 against USD
- The rupee on 16th October, 2019 recovered from initial losses to settle 11 paise higher at 71 rupees and 43 paise against the dollar, tracking gains in domestic equity markets and softening crude oil prices.
- Traders said, foreign fund inflows also supported the local currency.
PMC Bank Admin meets RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das, discusses bank’s operations
- RBI-appointed administrator of crisis-hit Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative – PMC Bank, J B Bhoria, met Governor Shaktikanta Das and other senior officials in Mumbai to discuss the bank’s operations.
- Mr Bhoria informed that PMC is in the process of recasting its balance sheet to present a true and fair picture of its accounts.
- It further assured that the bank will make all efforts to safeguard the interests of depositors and other stakeholders.
- With deposits of over 11,000 crore rupees and total loan assets of over 9,000 crore rupees, the bank is reported to have given over 6,500 crore rupees in loans to realty firm HDIL.
- According to the Mumbai Police’s Economic Offences Wing, HDIL’s loans turned into non-performing assets, but the bank management shielded this huge exposure from RBI’s scrutiny.
President Ram Nath Kovind leaves on a week-long tour to Philippines, Japan
- President Ram Nath Kovind has left for a two-nation visit to the Philippines and Japan this morning (17th October, 2019).
- Mr Kovind is visiting Japan to attend the enthronement ceremony of the Emperor of Japan Naruhito.
- Vijay Thakur Singh, MEA Secretary (East), said the President will be in the Philippines from October 17th to 21st and in Japan from October 21st to 23rd.
DPIIT launches website, mobile app for IPR
- Secretary Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT) Guruprasad Mohapatra launched the website and mobile application L2Pro India (Learn to Protect, Secure and Maximize Your Innovation) on Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs).
- The website and app will be very useful to the startup community which holds great promise for India and its economy.
Director Priyadarshan got Kishore Kumar award
- Noted director and producer Priyadarshan, who has made several blockbuster Malayalam and Hindi films, was conferred the Madhya Pradesh government’s National Kishore Kumar Samman for 2018-19 at a function in Khandwa, MP.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs 2 lakh and a citation.
- Khandwa is the birthplace of the legendary singer- actor Kishore Kumar.