GK Current Affairs Quiz October 12, 2019: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. Instantly obtain Latest Daily Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 12 October 2019 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation.
GK or General Awareness section can be the easiest section in all government, banking, SSC, railways exams when followed regularly. Aspirants of competitive exams such as IBPS, UPSC, SSC, SSC CPO, SSC CGL, Bank PO, Bank Clerk, IBPS, Railways, Government Jobs, UPPSC, MPSC, APPSC, TSPSC, SI, Constables etc can refer to the general knowledge questions and answers daily from this series of articles.
GK Current Affairs Quiz 13th October 2019
Q. Who has been appointed as the Chief Operating Officer of Yes Bank Ltd. in October 2019?
1. Jasneet Bachal
2. Shikha Sharma
3. Shanti Ekambaram
4. Anita Pai
5. Kaku Nakhate
- Yes Bank Ltd has appointed Anita Pai as the Chief Operating Officer and Jasneet Bachal as the Chief Marketing Officer of the bank.
- Pai, who was senior general manager and head of ATM business at ICICI Bank Ltd, will lead the bank’s operations and service delivery.
- Jasneet Bachal will head the marketing and communication efforts of the bank.
Q. Which United Nations’ agency recently became the first to make transactions in cryptocurrency?
Option: (b) UNICEF
Explanation: The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) became the first UN agency to carry out transactions in cryptocurrency through its newly-launched UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund.
Q. Which company’s Mutual Fund has been renamed as Nippon India Mutual Fund (NIMF)?
a) Aditya Birla
Q. Who won the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize?
a) Abiy Ahmed Ali
b) Greta Thunberg
c) Jacinda Ardern
d) Isaias Afwerki
Option: (a) Abiy Ahmed Ali
Explanation: Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed Ali has been awarded the 2019 Nobel Peace prize for his efforts to secure a peace deal between Ethiopia and its neighbour Eritrea and put an end to the over 20-year-old border conflict.
Q. Who has become the first Indian captain to score 40 hundreds?
a) MS Dhoni
b) Rohit Sharma
c) Virat Kohli
d) Ravindra Jadeja
Option: (c) Virat Kohli
Explanation: Virat Kohli created a new record on October 11, 2019 by becoming the first Indian captain to score 40 hundreds. He achieved the feat after he scored his 26th test century during India’s second test against South Africa in Pune.
Q. Which city is hosting the historic second informal summit between PM Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping?
Option: (a) Mamallapuram
Explanation: The historic second informal summit between PM Modi and Xi Jinping will take place at Mamallapuram in Tamil Nadu. Chinese President Xi Jinping arrived in Chennai, India on October 11 for a two-day visit.
Q. Who has become the 1st female player to complete 20 yrs in international cricket
a) Mithali Raj
b) Jhulan Goswami
c) Veda Krishnamurthy
d) Lisa Sthalekar
Q. What is the theme of the 2019 edition of World Mental Health Day (WMHD)?
a) Living with Schizophrenia
b) Mental health and older adults
c) Mental Health Promotion and Suicide Prevention
d) Dignity in Mental Health
Q. The 2019 Nobel prize in Chemistry has been awarded for discovery in which field?
a) Directed evolution of enzymes
b) Cryo-electron microscopy
c) Lithium-ion batteries
d) Phage display of peptides and antibodies
Q. The 2019 Nobel prize in Physiology or Medicine has been awarded for discovery in which field? (Marks: 0)
a) Cellular Respiration
b) Cancer therapy
c) Circadian rhythm
Q. What is the India’s rank at the 2019 WEF Global Competitiveness Index?
Q. Who is the director of the award-winning short film “Spirit Of Kerala”?
a) Rayka Zehtabchi
b) Sujoy Ghosh
c) Arun Joseph
d) Maitrey Bajpai
Q. The Union Government has launched which scheme to assure no-cost health care facilities to pregnant women and newborns?
Option: (c) SUMAN
Explanation: The Union Government has launched Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan or SUMAN scheme to provide quality healthcare facilities at no cost to pregnant women, new mothers and newborns.
Q. Government e-Marketplace (GeM) signed an MoU with which bank to offer funds transfer services to its registered users?
a) State Bank of India
b) Punjab National Bank
c) Union Bank of India
d) Central bank of India
Option: (c) Union Bank of India
Explanation: The Government e-Marketplace (GeM) signed a MoU with the Union Bank of India (UBI) to offer financial services to the registered users such as funds transfer, advice on Performance Bank Guarantees and Earnest Money Deposit (EMD).
Q. Read the following statements carefully:
1.The West Bengal Government is organizing Durga Puja Carnival in Siliguri on 10 October 2019.
2.The carnival will showcase the award-winning idols of Goddess Durga of this year’s Durga Puja Festivals.
3.The event will provide glimpses of Bengal’s rich and thriving cultural traditions.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
1. Only 1
2. Only 1 and 2
3. Only 1 and 3
4. Only 2 and 3
5. All are correct
The West Bengal Government is organizing Durga Puja Carnival in Kolkata on 10 October 2019.
The carnival will showcase the award-winning idols of Goddess Durga of this year’s Durga Puja Festivals.
The event will provide glimpses of Bengal’s rich and thriving cultural traditions.
80 Biswa Bangla Sarad Samman 2019 award winning community pujas will participate in the carnival.
Q. In ________, CM Biplab Kumar Deb inaugurated the ‘AngiKaar’ campaign for the state in a formal function held at the city’s town hall in October 2019.
In Tripura, CM Biplab Kumar Deb inaugurated the ‘AngiKaar’ campaign for the state in a formal function held at the city’s town hall on 10 October 2019.
The objective of the ‘AngiKaar’ campaign is to bring the beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Urban (PMAY-U) under one fold of other central government implemented scheme.
With the state’s target of making 26 lakh Ayushman Bharat cards by March 2020, at least 71 percent of Tripura’s population will be benefited under the health scheme.
Q. Who won the 2019 Nobel Prize in Literature?
1. Thomas Bernhard
2. Peter Hamm
3. Peter Handke
4. Robert Musil
5. Bruno Ganz
The 2019 Nobel Prize in Literature has been announced along with the 2018 Prize.
Austrian author Peter Handke has won the 2019 Prize while Polish writer Olga Tokarczuk has received the 2018 Prize.
Handke’s notable works include Short Letter, Long Farewell and A Sorrow Beyond Dreams.
Tokarczuk was awarded for a narrative imagination with encyclopedic passion.
Q. Where did Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Dr Harsh Vardhan launch Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan, SUMAN initiative?
2. New Delhi
Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Dr Harsh Vardhan launched Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan, SUMAN initiative in New Delhi.
It was launched during the 13th Conference of Central Council of Health and Family Welfare.
The initiative aims at assuring dignified, respectful and quality health care at no cost and zero tolerance for denial of services for every woman and newborn.
Q. Where will the 9th Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership, RCEP Intersessional Ministerial meeting be held in October 2019?
Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal will attend the 9th Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership, RCEP Intersessional Ministerial meeting beginning 11 October 2019 at Bangkok in Thailand.
This will be the last Ministerial before the 3rd Leaders Summit to be held on 4th November 2019 in Bangkok.
He will also hold a series of bilateral meetings with his counterparts during the Ministerial.
Q. Where has Union Minister for Human Resources Development Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank launched DHRUV programme in October 2019?
1. New Delhi
Union Minister for Human Resources Development Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank launched DHRUV programme in the headquarter of ISRO in Bengaluru on 10 October 2019.
DHRUV is a unique programme to identify talented students and mentor them in the centre of excellence for 14 days so that they can reach their full potential and work for the society.
Q. Anita Pai has been appointed as the Chief Operating Officer of which bank?
b) Yes Bank
c) Axis Bank
d) ICICI Bank
Option: (b) Yes Bank
Explanation: Anita Pai has been appointed as the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Yes Bank. Jasneet Bachal was appointed as the CMO of the bank.
Q. Which Ministry launched the ‘mHariyali’ App recently to encourage Public engagement in planting trees?
a) Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
b) Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs
c) Ministry of Home Affairs
d) Ministry of Corporate Affairs
Option: (b) Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs
Explanation: Hardeep S Puri, Minister of State for Housing & Urban Affairs recently launched the ‘mHariyali’ mobile app to motivate people in planting trees. The mobile app offers automatic geo-tagging of plants.
Q. How many Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas were inaugurated recently by Union Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’?
Option: (d) 5
Explanation: Union Human Resource Development Minister, Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ on October 11, 2019 inaugurated 5 Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas (JNVs) and laid the foundation stone of 9 new JNVs.
Q. When is the International Day of the Girl Child observed every year?
a) 10th October
b) 11th October
c) 12th October
d) 13th October
Option: (b) 11th October
Explanation: The International Day of the Girl Child is observed every year on 11 October to highlight the challenges faced by girls globally and promote girls’ empowerment and their human rights. The Theme of International Day of the Girl Child 2019 was Girl Force: Unscripted and Unstoppable.
Q. Nirmala Sheoran, who has been banned for 4 years, is associated to which sports?
Q. Which of the following systems has been launched to aid fishermen, in October 2019?
- GEMINI, a new system, is launched to aid fishermen.
- It is a portable receiver developed to avoid communication blackouts.
- It linked to ISRO-satellites and is fail-proof and warn fishermen of danger.
- GEMINI is an India-made global positioning system.
Q. Read the following statements carefully:
1.The Indian Railways has launched a website and mobile app that allows passengers to register their complaints online.
2.Union minister G. Kishan Reddy launched the website www.railways.delhipolice.gov.in and the mobile app Sahyatri.
3.This will facilitate the railway police in addressing complaints of passengers from across India and crime detection by integrating the criminal database online.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
1. Only 1
2. Only 1 and 2
3. Only 1 and 3
4. Only 2 and 3
5. All are correct
- The Indian Railways has launched a website and mobile app that allows passengers to register their complaints online.
- Union minister Nityanand Rai launched the website www.railways.delhipolice.gov.in and the mobile app Sahyatri.
- This will facilitate the railway police in addressing complaints of passengers from across India and crime detection by integrating the criminal database online.
Q. Who addressed the C-40 Climate Change Summit through a video conference in October 2019 after the Ministry of External Affairs denied him permission to visit Denmark?
1. Rahul Gandhi
2. Manish Sisodia
3. Akhilesh Yadav
4. Arvind Kejriwal
5. Sanjay Singh
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal addressed the C-40 Climate Change Summit through a video conference on 11 October 2019 after the Ministry of External Affairs denied him permission to visit Denmark.
- The session is titled ‘breathe deeply, city s for clean air’.
- He will also address a joint press conference with mayors of six major world cities on 11 October 2019.
Q. The ________ government has decided to issue a commemorative coin to mark the 150th birthday anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The UK government has decided to issue a commemorative coin to mark the 150th birthday anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- This was announced at the annual GG2 ceremony in London to celebrate the British Asian success.
- Sajid Javid has topped the power list released annually by the Asian Media Group (AMG), UK-based publishers behind the GG2.
Q. Which of the following is organising SARAS Aajeevika Mela at India Gate Lawns in October 2019?
1. Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
2. Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs
3. Ministry of Rural Development
4. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
5. Ministry of Human Resource Development
- The Ministry of Rural Development is organising SARAS Aajeevika Mela at India Gate Lawns from 10-23 October 2019.
- SARAS Aajeevika Mela is an initiative by the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM).
- Its objective is to bring the rural women Self Help Groups (SHGs) under one platform to showcase their skills and sell their products.
Q. With which bank has Government e-Marketplace (GeM) signed an MoU to facilitate a cashless, paperless and transparent payment system on the portal?
1. Axis Bank
2. Punjab National Bank
3. Union Bank of India
4. Bank of Baroda
5. Canara Bank
- Government e-Marketplace (GeM) signed an MoU with Union Bank of India (UBI) in New Delhi on October 10, 2019.
- Through this partnership, UBI will be able to offer an array of services including transfer of funds through GeM
- Pool Accounts (GPA), advising of Performance Bank Guarantees (e-PBG).
- The MoU will facilitate a cashless, paperless and transparent payment system on the portal.
Q. A new species of dinosaur that was 4 times bigger than a velociraptor and lived around 145 million years ago has been unearthed in ________.
- A new species of dinosaur that was 4 times bigger than a velociraptor and lived around 145 million years ago has been unearthed in Thailand.
- The 26 feet long dinosaur is an early member of a widespread group of dinosaurs called Carcharodontosaurids.
- Carcharodontosaurids included some of the largest land predators ever known.
Q. What is the theme of the International Day of the Girl Child 2019?
1. A Skilled Girlforce
2. EMPOWER girls: emergency response and resilience planning
3. Girl Force: Unscripted and Unstoppable
4. Girls’ Progress = Goals’ Progress: What Counts for Girls
5. Power of the Adolescent Girl: Vision for 2030
- International Day of the Girl Child is globally observed on 11 October every year.
- The day aims to meet the needs and challenges faced by girls.
- It also aims to promote girls’ empowerment and the fulfillment of their human rights.
- The theme for the year 2019 is Girl Force: Unscripted and Unstoppable.
Q. When is the World Obesity Day observed?
1. 9 October
2. 10 October
3. 11 October
4. 12 October
5. 13 October
- World Obesity Day is observed globally on 11 October every year.
- The day aims to raise awareness about the prevalence, severity, and diversity of weight stigma.
- The obesity often reinforces inaccurate and negative stereotypes about the weight which can lead to weight stigma.
- World Obesity Day was initiated by the World Obesity Federation in the year 2015
Q. Recently, the RBI has given approval to the Kerala government to amalgamate ________ DCBs with the Kerala State Cooperative Bank to form Kerala Bank.
- The RBI has given approval to the Kerala government to amalgamate 13 district cooperative banks (DCBs) with the Kerala State Cooperative Bank to form Kerala Bank.
- Except the Malappuram District Cooperative Bank, all district banks had approved the scheme of amalgamation proposed by the State government at their respective general body meetings.
Q. Recently, a team of astronomers has discovered a haul of 20 new moons orbiting ________.
- A team of astronomers has discovered a haul of 20 new moons orbiting the ringed planet, Saturn.
- This discovery has brought its total to 82 moons, while Jupiter, by contrast, has 79 natural satellites.
- The moons were discovered using the Subaru telescope on Maunakea, Hawaii.
- Each of the newly discovered objects in orbit around Saturn is about 5 km in diameter
Q. Where is the 38th India Carpet Expo being held in October 2019?
- The 38th India Carpet Expo is being held in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- The expo is organized by the Carpet Export Promotion Council (CEPC).
- It aims to promote the cultural heritage and weaving skills of Indian hand-made carpets and other floor coverings for the visiting overseas carpet buyers.
- It is being held from 11-15 October 2019.
Q. In Uttar Pradesh, where did the first 2-day long National Hindi Science writers conference start in October 2019?
- In Uttar Pradesh, the first 2-day long National Hindi Science writers conference started on 11 October in Lucknow.
- Its aim is to release science writing from the clutches of English and to promote use of Hindi and other Vernacular languages.
- More than one thousand science writers from across the country are expected to take part in this conference.
Q. The 1st Government-sponsored Day Care Recreation Centre for senior citizens has been inaugurated in which city?
Q. The Union Health Ministry has launched e-DantSeva in collaboration with which institute? (Marks: 1)
a) Tata Memorial
d) Fortis Healthcare
Daily Current Affairs in Short | October Current Affairs PDF Download
Mukesh Ambani rules Forbes Richest Indian 2019 list for 12th year:
Mukesh Ambani, Chairman of Reliance Industries Limited (RIL), has again occupied the number one position in the Forbes richest Indians list 2019. Forbes India magazine released the list of the richest Indians for the year 2019. Mukesh Ambani is at number one position with a net worth of USD 51.4 billion. However, infrastructure tycoon Gautam Adani has become the second richest Indian this time.
Gautam Adani has a net worth of USD 15.7 billion. Adani’s success is also amazing as he has jumped eight places to make it to the second place in the Forbes richest Indians list. Every year, the 100 richest people are included in the list.
Forbes’ Top 10 Richest Indians
|1.||Mukesh Ambani||USD 51.4 Billion|
|2.||Gautam Adani||USD 15.7 Billion|
|3.||Hinduja Brothers||USD 15.6 Billion|
|4.||Pallonji Mistry||USD 15 Billion|
|5.||Uday Kotak||USD 14.8 Billion|
|6.||Shiv Nadar||USD 14.4 Billion|
|7.||Radhakishan Damani||USD 14.3 Billion|
|8.||Godrej Family||USD 12 Billion|
|9.||Lakshmi Mittal||USD 10.5 Billion|
|10.||Kumar Birla||USD 9.6 Billion|
Kamini Roy Honoured by Google Doodle on her 155th Birth Anniversary
Kamini Roy: Google has dedicated a doodle to Bengali poetess, activist and educationist Kamini Roy today. The doodle was created by Google on the 155th birth anniversary of Kamini Rai. Kamini Roy dedicated her life to women’s rights. She was the first Indian women who had done graduation in British India.
Kamini Roy was also a great poetess and writer. She was born into an elite family, Kamini Roy’s brother was the mayor of Kolkata and his sister was a Physician from Nepal’s royal family. Kamini Roy had a deep interest in Mathematics but she completed her graduation in Sanskrit.
About Kamini Roy
• She was born on October 12, 1864, in Bakerganj district (now part of Bangladesh). She did her BA Honors in 1886 from Bethun College in Kolkata and then started teaching there.
• Kamini Roy met another student, Abla Bose in her college. Abla was working for women’s education and for widows. Impressed by her, Kamini Roy also decided to devote her life to women’s rights.
• Kamini Roy supported Ilbert Bill as it was introduced in 1883 during the tenure of Viceroy Lord Ripon. According to the Ilbert Bill, Indian judges were also empowered to hear cases in which European citizens were involved.
• European Citizens were protesting against this bill but Indian social workers and citizens were supporting it.
• Kamini Roy also created awareness among women through her poems. Not only this, in order to give women the right to vote in the then Bengal, she ran a long campaign.
• Finally, women were given the right to vote in the 1926’s general election. She died in 1933.
Romania government collapses in no-confidence vote
- Romania’s beleaguered left-wing government collapsed in a no-confidence vote on 10 October, 2019. This has paved the way for the president to appoint a new prime minister.
- A total of 238 MPs in the 465-seat parliament voted in favour of the motion against the government of Prime Minister Viorica Dancila.
- Ms. Dancila had been fighting for her political survival since her Social Democrats, PSD, lost their junior coalition partner’s support in August.
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed wins Nobel Peace Prize for resolving conflict with neighbouring foe Eritrea
- ‘How to Avoid a Climate Disaster’ announced as title of the new book by Microsoft Founder Bill Gates
- France’s Pacific island territory of New Caledonia to hold a second referendum on independence in 2020
- NASA launches Icon (Ionospheric Connection Explorer) satellite to explore the region where air meets space
- Russia honours NASA astronaut Nick Hague with ‘Order of Courage’
- India joins WEF’s G20 Global Smart Cities Alliance on Technology Governance
- Comoros: Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu given ‘The Order of the Green Crescent’, the country’s highest civilian honour in capital Moroni
- Alexei Leonov, a Soviet-era cosmonaut who was the first man to conduct a spacewalk in 1965, dies at 85
Nobel Peace Prize: Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed Ali wins 2019 prize
Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed Ali has been awarded the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize by the Nobel Committee. Abiy Ahmed Ali was honoured for his efforts in stabilising the 20-year-long border conflict between Ethiopia and Eritrea and securing a peace deal. Abiy Ahmed Ali has become the first-ever Nigerian to win a Nobel Prize.
Modi- Xi Jinping informal summit: Chinese President arrives in Chennai
The historic second informal summit between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping has begun in Mamallapuram, Tamil Nadu. PM Modi guided the Chinese President through Mamallapuram’s some of the most iconic historic sites including Panch Rathas and Krishna’s butter ball.
India vs South Africa 2nd test: Virat Kohli records
India’s Virat Kohli has become the first Indian captain to score 40 centuries. Virat Kohli has also become the second Indian captain to lead India in 50 tests, only after MS Dhoni. The Indian skipper also surpassed Australia’s Don Bradman to score the most number of 150 plus scores as a captain in international cricket.
Nobel Prizes in Literature for 2018 and 2019 awarded to Olga Tokarczuk, Peter Handke
The 2019 Nobel Prize in Literature has been awarded to Austrian author Peter Handke and the Nobel Prize for 2018 was given to Polish author Olga Tokarczuk. The 2018 Nobel prize was also awarded this year, as last year the award was suspended due to a scandal.
Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan (Suman): Everything you need to know!
The Government has launched Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan, SUMAN scheme to ensure quality public health care facilities to new mothers, newborns and pregnant women. The health care facilities will be provided at no cost.
- In Philippines, police and immigration authorities have arrested more than 500 illegally working foreigners, mostly Chinese involved in telecommunications and investment scams.
- The 542 foreigners, who were arrested last night in metropolitan Manila, did not have work permits and were involved in defrauding victims mostly in China by blackmailing or tricking them into sending out money.
- China provided information that led to the arrests of more than 400 Chinese and other workers from Myanmar, Malaysia, Vietnam, Taiwan and Indonesia.
- This was one of the biggest mass arrests this year (2019) in Philippines.
Government launches Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan, SUMAN, an initiative for quality health care at no cost
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Dr Harsh Vardhan along with several State Health Ministers on 10 October, 2019 launched Surakshit Matritva Aashwasan, SUMAN, initiative in New Delhi.
- The initiative was launched during the 13th Conference of Central Council of Health and Family Welfare.
- The initiative aims at assuring dignified, respectful and quality health care at no cost and zero tolerance for denial of services for every woman and newborn visiting the public health facility in order to end all preventable maternal and newborn deaths.
- It also provides a positive birth experience to both mother and infant.
- Government is committed to achieve the target of reducing the maternal mortality and child mortality.
- As per survey conducted in the recent past, the number of cases of blindness in the country has decreased from 0.68 per cent to 0.38 per cent.
- Mental health is among the high priorities of the government and policies have been framed to strengthen the mental health facility across the nation.
- PM Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping meet at Mamallapuram in Tamil Nadu for their second informal summit
- Environmentalist Chandi Prasad Bhatt awarded Indira Gandhi award for national integration for the years 2017 and 2018
- West Bengal govt. to set up a Kanyashree University in Nadia district to empower girls
- Bru refugee families start returning to Mizoram from Tripura
- Navies of India, Bangladesh organising Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) at Visakhapatnam from October 12 to 16
- Eminent saxophone exponent Kadri Gopalnath dies at 69 in Mangaluru
MP Tourism Board to organize City Walk Fest
- MP Tourism Board will organize a month-long City Walk Festival in 11 cities from October 12 till November 10, 2019.
- Local, national and international tourists of all age groups will participate in the festival.
- More than 100 city walks will be organized during the festival on subjects including art, culture, heritage, food, textile, photography and spiritualism.
Nirmala Sitharaman assures crisis-hit PMC Bank investors
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on 10 October, 2019 assured aggrieved investors of crisis-hit Punjab Maharashtra Co-operative – PMC Bank that she will speak to the Reserve Bank Governor on how the banking operations can be normalised at the earliest. The minister met a group of distressed customers of PMC bank in Mumbai.
- RBI is doing whatever is necessary and as per law but she will still try to put forth the customers’ misery before the banking regulator.
- The minister further informed that finance ministry is studying the issue in detail to find out what went amiss in case of PMC so as to avoid such cases in the future.
- secretaries from the department of financial services and economic affairs will be meeting a deputy governor of RBI to suggest amendments in necessary laws that can help in prevention of such incidents and to empower the regulator.
- Any necessary changes to law as suggested by this group will be introduced in the winter session of Parliament.
- The Reserve Bank had imposed severe restrictions on Punjab Maharashtra Co-operative Bank last month due to its weak financials, sending a frenzy among depositors who are currently allowed to withdraw just 25000 rupees.
- The bank was in bad health allegedly due to its exposure to the near bankrupt realty player HDIL.
National Fertilizers presents dividend of over 28 crore rupees to Government
- National Fertilizers Limited on 10 October, 2019 presented dividend of over 28 Crore Rupees to the Government of India for the year 2018-19.
- Chairman and Managing Director of National Fertilizers Limited Manoj Mishra presented Dividend Cheque of 28.22 crore rupees to the Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilizers D.V. Sadananda Gowda in the presence of Fertilizers Secretary Chhabilendra Roul.
- National Fertilizers Limited has presented a cumulative dividend of around 1157 crore rupees to the Government till date against paid up equity of 490.58 crore rupees.
U.K. to issue coin in honour of Mahatma Gandhi
- The U.K. government has decided to issue a commemorative coin to mark the 150th birthday anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The Pakistani-origin British finance minister said he had asked the UK’s Royal Mint to work on the coin so that the world never forgot what Gandhi taught it.
- Announced this on 10 October, 2019 at the annual GG2 ceremony in London to celebrate the British Asian success.
- Mr. Javid has topped the power list released annually by the Asian Media Group (AMG), UK-based publishers behind the GG2.
- Awards celebrate the 150th birthday of Gandhi — a fitting time to announce that I’ve asked the Royal Mint of the UK to propose a new commemorative coin in his honour. We should never forget what Gandhi taught the world.
- Gandhi taught us that power doesn’t just come from wealth or high office. We must always remember the values he lived his life by and that our parents brought with them when they arrived here all those years ago.
Chinese President Xi Jinping arrives in Chennai on 2-day visit to India
Chinese President Xi Jinping will arrive in Chennai on a two-day visit to India.
- He will hold the Second Informal Summit with Prime Minister Narendra Modi at Mamallapuram in Tamil Nadu .
- The two leaders will first have a one to one conversation which will be followed by delegation-level talks. Prime Minister Modi will arrive in Chennai this morning (11 October, 2019) by a special aircraft, from where he will reach Mamallapuram by helicopter.
- At Mamallapuram, Mr Modi will receive President Xi and will personally guide the visiting leader through the ancient monuments like the Arjun’s Penance, Ganesh Rath, Krishna butter ball before the two leaders drive to the Panch Rathas or the five chariots of the Pandavas. Later, President Xi and PM Modi will visit the shore temple where a cultural event has also been organised for the guests from China.
- In Mamallapuram, a UNESCO world heritage town, India hopes to build on the ancient and civilisational links with China that date back to the 7th century and even earlier.
- In the 7th century, Chinese traveller Hiuen Tsang visited Kanchipuram and landed at the bustling port of Mahabalipuram.
- Hiuen Tsang has written about the grandeur of the Pallava Kings and the Buddhist centres of learning. There is archaeological evidence and there are inions to prove extensive trade and cultural ties between the Chola Kings and Pallava Kings with China.
- Multi-layered security has been put in place at Mamallapuram, as known as Mahabalipuram.
- More than ten thousand police personnel have been deployed at key locations in Chennai and the venue for the summit to provide security for Prime Minister Modi and the Chinese President.
Piyush Goyal to attend 9th RCEP Intersessional Ministerial Meeting in Thailand
- Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal will attend the 9th Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership, RCEP Intersessional Ministerial meeting to be held on 11th & 12th October, 2019 at Bangkok in Thailand.
- This will be the last Ministerial before the 3rd Leaders Summit to be held on 4th November, 2019 in Bangkok.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to attend the Summit. The 9th Intersessional Ministerial Meeting comes at a crucial stage where the RCEP is scheduled to be announced as concluded in November, 2019.
- The 28th round of negotiations for RCEP at the expert level was concluded at Da Nang in Vietnam last month (September, 2019).
- In this round of negotiations meeting of the Trade Negotiating Committee was held in which senior officials participated in negotiations regarding market access on Trade in Goods, Trade in Services and Investment as well as on other areas like Rules of Origin, Intellectual Property and Electronic Commerce.
- Out of 25 chapters, 21 chapters have been concluded. Crucial chapters of Investment, Electronic Commerce, Rules of Origin and Trade Remedies are yet to be settled.
- Ministerial guidance will be sought on these issues during the Bangkok Ministerial round.
- The Ministers of participating countries will also discuss preparations for the 3rd Leaders Summit.
- Mr Goyal will also hold a series of bilateral meetings with his counterparts from Japan, Singapore, China, Australia and New Zealand during the Bangkok Ministerial.
- In preparation for the crucial Bangkok Ministerial round, Commerce Minister held several consultations with Indian industry for firming up India’s position and for taking into consideration industry concerns and sensitivities.
- The Commerce and Industry Minister chaired several inter-ministerial meetings at the official level and also with Ministers of the key line Ministries.
- The focus and emphasis of the meetings chaired by the Commerce Minister was on putting in place appropriate safeguards including auto-trigger mechanism against sudden surge in imports from RCEP countries.
India calls for increased cooperation between FATF, UN to combat terror financing
- In a veiled attack on Pakistan, India has condemned any direct or indirect financial assistance to terrorists and terror groups by nations that enables them to pursue their activities, including in defending criminal cases against them.
- Speaking at a General Assembly Sixth Committee meeting on measures to eliminate international terrorism, First Secretary and Legal adviser in India’s Permanent Mission to the UN Yedla Umasankar called for increased cooperation between the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) and the UN to combat terror financing.
- The flow of resources meant to produce terror are required to be stopped by States for which collective inter-State efforts are required at regional and sub-regional levels.
- The FATF has a significant role in setting global standards for preventing and combating terrorist financing and the UN needs to increase cooperation with such bodies.
- India strongly condemns direct or indirect financial assistance given to terrorist groups or individual members thereof by States or its machineries, to pursue their activities, including in defending the criminal cases involving terrorist acts against them.
- India’s comments came as on Pakistan’s request, Mumbai attack mastermind and banned Jama’at-ud-Da’wah Chief Hafiz Saeed was allowed by an Anti-Terror Committee of the UN Security Council to withdraw money from his bank account for basic expenses.
- Saeed, a UN designated terrorist was listed under UN Security Council Resolution 1267 in December 2008.
The US to award Pepsico India
- The United States has named PepsiCo India for the 2019 Secretary of State’s Award for Corporate Excellence (ACE).
- The award will be presented in a ceremony on 31 October 2019.
- The award recognizes the company’s efforts to save more than 17 billion litres of water.
- The company saved water through community water programmes which positively impacted 60,000 community members.
‘Garbage Cafe’ in Chhattisgarh commenced
- The first-of-its-kind ‘Garbage Cafe’ commenced in Ambikapur city of Chhattisgarh.
- The café is being run by the Ambikapur municipal corporation.
- In this unique Cafe, poor people and rag pickers will get free food in exchange for one kilogram of plastic, while breakfast will be provided if half a kilogram of plastic is brought to the cafe.
Nobel Prize in Literature awarded to Polish writer Olga Tokarczuk for 2018 and to Austrian author Peter Handke for 2019
- The 2019 Nobel Prize in Literature has been announced along with the 2018 Prize. The Swedish Academy said, Austrian author Peter Handke has won the 2019 Prize while Polish writer Olga Tokarczuk has received the 2018 Prize.
- Handke was honoured for an influential work that with linguistic ingenuity has explored the periphery and the specificity of human experience. His notable works include “Short Letter, Long Farewell” and “A Sorrow Beyond Dreams”.
- Tokarczuk was awarded for a narrative imagination that with encyclopedic passion represents the crossing of boundaries as a form of life. Her first novel, “The Journey of the People of the Book,” was released in 1993.
- She has also won the Booker International Prize for her 2007 novel “Flights”. Her 900-page “The Books of Jacob” was hailed as her magnum opus by the Swedish Academy.
- Tokarczuk becomes just the 15th woman to have won the prestigious distinction, out of 116 literature laureates honoured since 1901.
- Tokarczuk and Handke each take home a cheque worth nine million kronor , or 912,000 US dollars.
- The 2019 Nobel Prize in Literature was announced along with the 2018 Prize as the latter was delayed by a year following a scandal that included allegations of sexual misconduct.
Virat Kohli to became 2nd India Captain to lead in 50 Tests
- Virat Kohli became just the second Indian captain to lead India in 50 Test matches as he walked out for toss in the second Test against South Africa in Pune.
- MS Dhoni is the only other player who has completed this milestone.
- Dhoni captained the side 60 times between 2008 and 2014 while Sourav Ganguly is third on the list, having led the side 49 times.
- Legendary athlete Milkha Singh (92) wins lifetime achievement at Indian Sports Honours (ISH)
- Dutee Chand breaks her own women’s 100 m national record clocking 11.22 seconds in National Open Athletics Championships at Ranchi.
- Virat Kohli (254) hits seventh double hundred in tests, the highest number by an Indian