Daily TOP Current Affairs – International
Mauritius Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth claims victory in the election
- In Mauritius, Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth claimed victory in the election as official preliminary results showing his alliance taking a comfortable lead over rivals in the Indian Ocean nation.
- Projections from the Electoral Commission gave a large lead to a coalition led by Jugnauth, who took the helm of one of Africa’s wealthiest countries when his father stepped down in 2017.
- Partial results from the state-run commission forecasted that Jugnauth’s centre-right Morisian Alliance will win 38 of 62 possible seats in parliament. Official projections showed that two-time Prime Minister Navin Ramgoolam was on course to clinch 13 seats in parliament.
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 11th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 09th November 2019
- Daily TOP Current Affairs 9th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 08th November 2019
- Daily TOP Current Affairs 8th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 07th November 2019
Brazil’s former President Lula da Silva walks free from jail
- In Brazil, former President Lula da Silva walked free from jail on 08 November, 2019 after spending a year and a half behind bars for corruption.
- The 74-year-old leftist icon embroiled in a massive corruption scandal which has engulfed some of Brazil’s most influential politicians and business leaders.
- Even though he is now free, Lula will be barred by his criminal record from resuming his political career.
Seven pro-democracy lawmakers detained in Hong Kong
- In Hong Kong, seven pro-democracy lawmakers have been detained today. A police statement said all of them will appear in court on Monday (11 november, 2019).
- In Hong kong that their colleagues are expected to be charged with obstructing the local assembly during a raucous May 11 meeting over a now-shelved China Extradition Bill.
- It had sparked five months of protests calling for democratic reforms in the semi-autonomous Chinese territory.
US President Donald Trump has not agreed to roll back tariffs on Chinese imports
- US President Donald Trump has not agreed to roll back tariffs on Chinese imports.
- Trump’s remarks appeared to push back against Beijing’s claims that the two sides had agreed to remove tariffs in stages as part of a partial deal announced last month (October, 2019).
- The United States and China have imposed steep tariffs on hundreds of billions of dollars in two-way trade. Another round of US duties is set to hit on the 15th December, 2019 on 160 billion US Dollars in Chinese goods.
- China has more leverage as the US President prepares to compete for re-election.
Iran shoots down unknown drone near gulf coast
- In Iran, the army shot down an unidentified drone near the port of Bandar-e-Mahshahr on the Gulf coast on 08 November, 2019.
- The unmanned aircraft was downed over Iranian territory with a domestically manufactured Mersad surface-to-air missile.
- The agency not elaborating on whether it was a military or civilian drone. However, there was no Iranian official comment on this incident as yet.
- In June, Iran shot down an unmanned US surveillance drone.
- Relations between Iran and the US have worsened since last year when US President Donald Trump pulled out of Tehran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers and reimposed sanctions on the country.
- Iran resumed uranium enrichment at its underground Fordow plant south of Tehran in a new step back from its commitments under a landmark 2015 nuclear deal, raising alarm from Western powers.
- The suspension of uranium enrichment at the long-secret plant was one of the restrictions on its nuclear programme Iran had agreed to in return for the lifting of sanctions.
Daily Current Affairs – National
Ayodhya verdict: Disputed site for Ram temple, separate land for mosque
- In a unanimous verdict, the Supreme Court today (9 November, 2019) paved the way for the construction of a Ram Temple at the disputed site at Ayodhya. It also directed the Centre to allot an alternative five-acre plot to the Sunni Waqf Board for building a mosque at a prominent place in the holy town. In one of the most important judgments in Indian history, a five-judge Constitution Bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi put an end to the more than a century-old dispute.
- The court in it’s over one-thousand-page verdict said the faith of the Hindus that Lord Ram was born at the demolished structure is undisputed. It ordered a trust should be formed within three months for the construction of the temple at the site.
- The bench, also comprising Justices S A Bobde, D Y Chandrachud, Ashok Bhushan and S Abdul Nazeer, said possession of the disputed 2.77 acre-land rights will be handed over to the deity Ram Lalla, who is one of the three litigants in the case. The possession, however, will remain with a Central Government Receiver. The historic verdict was pronounced on 14 appeals filed in the apex court against the 2010 Allahabad High Court judgment.
- The court said the Hindus have established their case that they were in possession of the outer courtyard and the Uttar Pradesh Sunni Central Waqf Board has failed to establish its case.
- The court said the extensive nature of Hindus worshipping at the outer courtyard at the disputed site has been there and the evidence suggests the Muslims offered Friday prayers at the mosque which indicates that they had not lost possession of the site. It said that despite obstruction caused in offering prayers at Mosque, the evidence suggests that there was no abandonment in offering prayers.
Sanskrit Bharati Vishwa Sammelan begins in New Delhi
- 17 countries are attending Sanskrit Bharati Vishwa Sammelan, the three-day mega event beginning today (9 November, 2019) in New Delhi. Addressing the gathering, Minister of State for External Affairs V.Muraleedharan said Sanskrit continues to be prevalent in the society as it is used by the people across the country.
- The Minister said, Sanskrit words are found in most of the Indian languages. Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr.Harsh Vardhan was present on the occasion.
Integrated check post of Kartarpur Corridor inaugurated by PM Modi at Dera Baba Nanak in Punjab
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said that opening of Kartarpur Corridor and Integrated Check Post would bring double happiness. He was addressing a gathering at Dera Baba Nanak in Gurdaspur after inaugurating the Kartarpur Corridor. He said it will be easy to pay obeisance at Darbar Sahib Gurudwara after the opening of Kartarpur Corridor. He also thanked Pakistani counterpart Imran Khan for understanding India’s sentiment.
- Asserting that he is fortunate to be able to dedicate the Kartarpur corridor to the country, Prime Minister said he has a feeling like doing Kar Sewa. He said, Guru Nanak Dev is revered and inspiration for all mankind. When Guru Nanak Dev had left Kartarpur nobody knew that he will give a new direction to the society.
- The first Jatha of Sikh pilgrims has entered Pakistan through Kartarpur Corridor, a short while ago. Earlier, Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off the first batch of over 500 Indian pilgrims led by Akal Takhat Jathedar Giani Harpreet Singh to Gurdwara Darbar Sahib through the corridor.
Government to set up one lakh digital villages
- The Government will set up one lakh digital villages in the country in the coming years. He said, around 800 such villages are already operational on pilot basis.
- The Minister was speaking during the interactive session with Officers of Department of Telecommunication in New Delhi.
- The idea behind setting up Digital villages to provide health care and education digitally and promote Skill development.
Indian Railways launched 3 online applications
- Indian Railways has launched three applications for all-India roll out to strengthen its IT- enabled services which will help ensure proper monitoring of projects being undertaken by Railways
- The applications, namely CRS Sanction Management System, Rail-road crossing GAD approval system and TMS for construction.
- These aim at beefing up IT- enabled services.
Daily Current Affairs – Business
RBI increases household income limits for borrowers of NBFCs and MFIs
- Reserve Bank has increased the household income limits for borrowers of Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs) and microfinance institutions (MFIs) from 1 lakh to 1.25 lakh rupees. The move is aimed at strengthening credit to those at the bottom of the economic pyramid in rural areas. Similarly, the limit has been increased from 1.6 lakh for urban or semi-urban areas to 2 lakh rupees.
- RBI said in a circular that the limit has been increased after taking into consideration the important role played by microfinance institutions in delivering credit to those at the bottom of the economic pyramid and to enable them to play their assigned role in a growing economy.
SBI lowers lending rates by 5 basis points across all tenors
State Bank of India has lowered its lending rates by 5 basis points across all tenors.
- It has also sharply slashed the deposits pricing between 15 and 75 basis points. It will be effective from 10th of November.
- This is the seventh consecutive cut in lending rates by the bank this fiscal.
- With this reduction, the one year Marginal Cost Of Funds-Based Lending (MCLR), to which most of its loan prices are linked, will come down to 8 per cent.
- The bank also reduced interest rate on retail term deposit by 15 basis points for one year to less than two years’ tenor.
- The bulk term deposit interest rates have been reduced by 30 to 75 basis points across tenors.
Daily Current Affairs – Environment
Cyclone Bulbul: Bangladesh raises danger signal to 7 for Mongla and Payra ports
- The Meteorological Department of Bangladesh has raised the warning signal for maritime ports of Mongla and Payra to danger signal number seven, and six for the port of Chittagong due to the intensified very severe cyclonic storm Bulbul.
- It has warned that storm surge of 5 to 7 feet may hit the coastal districts under the impact of the cyclonic storm.
- The cyclone was centred 620 kilometres south-southwest from Chattogram port, 585 kilometres south-southwest from Cox’s Bazar and 495 kilometres south from Mongla and Payra ports at 6 pm today (9 November, 2019).
- Meteorological department said that the cyclone may hit Khulna-Barishal coastal belt of Bangladesh by tomorrow evening if it stays on its current path.
- Chattogram port has shut down its loading activities temporarily this evening. The Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA) suspended all types of water transportation until further notice.
- State Minister for Disaster Management and Relief Dr Md Enamur Rahman said the government has made all necessary preparations to tackle the impact of cyclone Bulbul.
Daily Current Affairs – Awards
Writer and translator Shanta Gokhale to receive Tata Literature Live! Lifetime Achievement Award
The Tata Literature Live! Lifetime Achievement Award for 2019 was conferred on writer, translator and film critic Shanta Gokhale.
- Poet K Satchidanandan was named the Tata Literature Live! Poet Laureate for 2019.
- Gokhale, born in 1939 in the town of Dahanu in Maharashtra, recently published her memoir One Foot on the Ground: A Life Told Through the Body.
- She received the Sangeet Natak Academy Award in 2015.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
China Open: Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty to take on World No. 1
- In Badminton, Indian pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty will take on World No. 1 Marcus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo of Indonesia in the Men’s doubles semifinals of the China Open today.
- The World No. 9 Indian duo stunned World No. 3 Chinese pair of Li Jun Hui and Liu Yu Chen 21-19 21-15 in a quarterfinal clash yesterday. The Indian duo had lost to the same Chinese pair in the final of the French Open last month. Pair of Satwik and Chirag is the only Indian challenge left in the tournament.
India to host 2023 Men’s Hockey World Cup
- India will host the 2023 Men’s Hockey World Cup from 13th to 29th January, 2020.
- The International Hockey Federation (FIH) said India will play host to the men’s tournament while Spain and the Netherlands have been named as the co-hosts of the 2022 Women’s World Cup scheduled to be held from 1st to 22nd of July.
- The decisions were made during FIH’s Executive Board Meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland.
- The FIH further said that the venues of both the men’s and women’s World Cups will be announced by the host nations at a later date.
India beat Bangladesh by 8 wickets in 2nd T-20 match
- In Cricket, India beat Bangladesh by 8 wickets in the Second T-20 at Rajkot, levelling the 3 match series 1-1. Put in to bat, Bangladesh set a target of 154 runs. In reply, stand-in skipper Rohit Sharma, who was playing his 100th T-20, went all guns blazing and scored 85 off 43 balls.
- Rohit also became the first Indian male cricketer and second man in world cricket to complete 100 T20 Internationals.
- Harmanpreet Kaur had reached the milestone recently during the home series against South Africa. Pakistan’s Shoaib Malik (111 games) is the only other man to have played more than 100 T20 Internationals. The final T-20 and the series decider will be played in Nagpur on Sunday.
Rohit Sharma becomes 1st Indian male cricketer to play 100 T20I
- Stand-in skipper Rohit Sharma became the first Indian man and second in world cricket to complete 100 T-20 Internationals.
- He reached the milestone when he led the team in the second match against Bangladesh at the Saurashtra Cricket Association Stadium. Shoaib Malik with 111 games from Pakistan is the only player to have played more than 100 T20 Internationals.
- Rohit is currently the top-scorer in this format with 2452 runs with regular skipper Virat Kohli second in the list with an aggregate of 2450 runs. Rohit has scored the runs at a strike-rate of 136.67 with four hundreds and 17 half-centuries.
Women’s Cricket: India wins three-match series against West Indies
- In Women’s Cricket, India won the three match series 2-1 beating the West Indies by 6 wickets in the 3rd and final ODI match in North Sound, Antigua last night.
- Indian women achieved the victory target of 195 runs comfortably with 47 balls to spare. For India, Smriti Mandhana was the highest scorer with 74 off 63 balls.
Daily Current Affairs – Persons
Devendra Fadnavis resigned as Maharashtra CM
- Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis has finally resigned and met Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari to submit his resignation papers.
- This comes just hours before the deadline for government formation in Maharashtra ends with the current assembly session coming to an end on November 9, 2019.