GK Current Affairs Quiz 27th December 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease.
Q. When Shaheed Udham Singh was born?
Answer: (b) 1899
Explanation: Shaheed Udham Singh was born in the year 1899. He was a revolutionary belonging to the Ghadar Party best known for his assassination in London.
Q. When NTPC Limited was founded?
Answer: (b) 1975
Explanation: NTPC Limited was founded in the year 1975.
Q. Which north east state topped the Good Governance Day?
(b) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: (b) Himachal Pradesh
Explanation: Himachal Pradesh topped the index, followed by Uttarakhand, Tripura, Mizoram, and Sikkim in the Good Governance Index.
Q. Who won the best research paper- in reproductive biotechnology session (RBT) oral?
(c) Rajesh Sharma
Answer: (b) Mannuthy
Explanation: Assistant Professor, CVAS, Mannuthy won the best research paper- in reproductive biotechnology session (RBT) oral.KVASU bagged Young Scientist Awards and Best Research Paper award in XXXV ISSAR National Conference held at VCRI, Namakkal,
Q. When ASSOCHAM was founded?
Answer: (b) 1921
Explanation: Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India one of the apex trade associations of India founded on 1921.
Q. Which Indian cricketer has been included in Wisden’s top five players of the decade list?
(a) MS Dhoni
(b) Ravindra Jadeja
(c) Rohit Sharma
(d) Virat Kohli
Answer: (d) Virat Kohli
Explanation: Virat Kohli has been named among the top 5 cricketers of the decade in Wisden cricketers of the decade. Apart from Virat Kohli, three other four other players are – Alice Perry, Steve Smith, Dale Steyn, AB de Villiers.
Q. Which Indian cricketer has broken the 22-year-old record of Sri Lankan batsman Sanath Jayasuriya for scoring the most runs in a calendar year?
(a) Virat Kohli
(b) Rohit Sharma
(c) Rishabh Pant
(d) MS Dhoni
Answer: (b) Rohit Sharma
Explanation: The record of scoring the most runs in a year as an opener was named after former Sri Lankan opener batsman Sanath Jayasuriya. Now, Rohit Sharma has scored more than him. Sanath Jayasuriya scored 2387 runs in the year 1997 as an opener. Rohit Sharma scored 2442 runs as an opener in the year 2019.
Q. When ‘Good Governance Day’ is observed in India every year?
(a) 20 December
(b) 12 December
(c) 25 December
(d) 15 December
Answer: (c) 25 December
Explanation: This day is observed as the birthday of former Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee. This day was first celebrated in the year 2014. Vajpayee is considered as one of the most influential leaders of Indian politics.
Q. What is the new name of the Rohtang Tunnel?
(a) Atal Tunnel
(b) Hindu Tunnel
(c) Ekta Tunnel
(d) Patel Tunnel
Answer: (a) Atal Tunnel
Explanation: Prime Minister Narendra Modi renamed Rohtang Tunnel as Atal Tunnel on the occasion of the birth anniversary of former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee. This strategic tunnel is connecting Leh and Manali via Rohtang Pass.
Q. India’s legendary tennis player Leander Paes announced to retire in which year?
Answer: (a) 2020
Explanation: Indian tennis player Leander Paes has recently announced to retire in 2020. It will be last year of his career as an international tennis player. He announced his retirement on Twitter.
Q. Which state has ranked number-1 in the Good Governance Index released by the Central Government?
(b) Tamil Nadu
Answer: (c) Tamil Nadu
Explanation: The states and union territories have divided into three groups, large states, northeast and hill states & union territories in this index. Odisha, Bihar, Goa, Uttar Pradesh are among the worst-performing states.
Q. Which state government has increased the retirement age of employees of Road Transport Corporation from 58 years to 60 years?
(a) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: (d) Telangana
Explanation: The Telangana government has recently announced that the retirement age of Road Transport Corporation (RTC) employees will be increased from 58 years to 60 years. This decision taken by the state government will apply to all the employees working in the department.
Q. Who among the following has termed 2019 as a year of successes for India at United Nations?
(a) Narendra Modi
(b) Jayshankar Prasad
(c) Amit Shah
(d) Syed Akbaruddin
Answer: (d) Syed Akbaruddin
Explanation: Syed Akbaruddin is India’s Permanent Representative to the UN. He recently said that the year 2019 was a period of success for India at the United Nations. He said that India has achieved multiple achievements in the fight against terrorism, sustainable development, and climate change.
Q. How many crores did NTPC planned to invest for 10 GW solar capacity?
Answer: (b) 50,000
Explanation: NTPC to invest 50,000 crores for 10 GW solar capacity.
Q. Andhra Pradesh government proposes seaport worth Rs 10k cr at ____________
Answer: (b) Ramayapatnam
Explanation: Andhra Pradesh government proposes seaport worth Rs 10k cr at Ramayapatnam.
Q. Who won Bengaluru Open Golf Championship?
(a) Rashid Khan
(b) Abhinav Lohan
(c) Shankar Das
(d) Chiragh Kumar
Answer: (b) Abhinav Lohan
Explanation: Abhinav Lohan won Bengaluru Open Golf Championship.
Q. Which language Sign boards are set up at 5 ASI protected archaeological sites on December 25th?
Answer: (b) Chinese
Explanation: Sign boards in Chinese language set up at 5 ASI protected archaeological sites.
Q. Which Indian cricketer name got listed in the Wisden cricketers of the decade?
(a) Suresh Raina
(b) MS Dhoni
(c) Virat Kohli
(d) Rohit Sharma
Answer: (c) Virat Kohli
Explanation: Virat Kohli named in Wisden cricketers of the decade list.
Daily Current Affairs – International
Pakistan to import polio markers from India
The Federal Cabinet of Pakistan has decided to import polio markers from India in a bid to reduce the price of medicines.
- The Federal Cabinet took the decision to give a one-time permission for import of polio markers from India as it would reduce prices of 89 medicines by at least 15%.
- Pakistan had suspended trade ties with India following New Delhi’s decision to abrogate Article 370 on August 5, 2019 to revoke the special status of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The markers used to mark the fingers of children after administering them polio vaccine are approved by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
- There are only two WHO prequalified manufacturers in the world, India and China, which manufacture non-toxic markers to prevent children from swallowing the ink.
Daily Current Affairs – National
PM Modi launches Atal Bhujal Yojana
Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off the ‘Atal Bhujal Yojana’ on the occasion of 95th birth anniversary of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- The scheme with a total outlay of Rs.6000 crore will be implemented over a period of 5 years.
- It aims to improve ground water management through community participation in identified priority areas in seven States.
- The states identified are Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
- Out of the total outlay of Rs. 6000 crore for the scheme, 50% shall be in the form of World Bank loan.
Government launched Good Governance Index
Minister of State for Public Grievances and Pensions Dr Jitendra Singh launched Good Governance Index in New Delhi on the occasion of Good Governance Day i.e 25 December.
- The Good Governance Day is observed on the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- Tamil Nadu topped the Good Governance Index launched by the Centre.
- Maharashtra, Karnataka, Chhattisgarh and Andhra Pradesh followed among the ‘Big States’.
- Among the ‘Big States’, the poor performers are Odisha, Bihar, Goa, and Uttar Pradesh with Jharkhand coming last.
- The States and UTs are divided into three groups : Big States, North-East and Hill States, and Union Territories.
- Among the North-East and Hill States, Himachal Pradesh was ranked first, followed by Uttarakhand, Tripura, Mizoram and Sikkim.
- Puducherry is the best governed Union Territory followed by Chandigarh and Delhi.
- Lakshadweep is the worst performing UT.
NITI Aayog to launch SDG India Index on Dec 30
NITI Aayog will launch the second edition of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) India Index, which documents the progress made by India’s States and Union Territories towards implementing the 2030 SDG targets, on December 30.
- The SDG India Index and Dashboard 2019–20 have been developed in collaboration with the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI), the United Nations in India, and the Global Green Growth Institute.
- It will be launched by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar.
- The SDG India Index, whose first edition was launched in December 2018, was the first tool developed by any large country to monitor the progress towards achieving SDGs at the sub-national level.
- The Index covers 16 out of 17 SDGs and a qualitative assessment on Goal 17.
- This marks an improvement over the 2018 Index, which covered only 13 goals.
Cabinet approves signing of MoU between India & Brazil on Bioenergy Cooperation
The Cabinet has given its approval for signing of Memorandum of Understanding between India and Brazil on Bioenergy Cooperation.
- India and Brazil are major consumers of energy in the world and Brazil is one of the most important trading partners of India in the entire Latin America and Caribbean region.
- Brazil is currently the world’s second largest producer and consumer of biofuels.
- Biofuels and bioelectricity accounted for 18 percent of Brazil’s energy mix.
- India also has a strong focus in the area of bio-fuels and has set a target to achieve 20 per cent blending of ethanol in petrol and 5 per cent blending of biodiesel in diesel by 2030 with the announcement of new policy on Biofuels in 2018.
Rohtang tunnel in Himachal Pradesh named as Atal tunnel
Prime Minister Narendra Modi named Rohtang passageway in Himachal Pradesh as Atal Tunnel to mark the 95th birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- The strategic Atal tunnel will change the fortunes of this region and will help in promoting tourism in the region.
- The tunnel has been named as a tribute to the former Prime Minister who took the historic decision of constructing this strategic tunnel.
- After completion of the tunnel, it will provide all weather connectivity to remote areas of Lahaul and Spiti Valley and also reduce the distance between Manali and Leh by 46 Kilometres.
Dharmendra Pradhan unveils India’s first long distance CNG bus
Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan unveiled India’s first long distance CNG bus fitted with CNG cylinders at a function in New Delhi.
- It can travel around one thousand kilometre in a single fill.
- The first long range interstate CNG bus will ply from Delhi to Dehradun.
- Such type of buses will soon ply between Delhi to Jaipur, Chandigarh and Agra.
- The project has been executed by Indraprastha Gas Limited, the largest CNG distribution company in the country.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
Kohli among five Wisden cricketers of the decade
Indian skipper Virat Kohli is one of the five players named in the Wisden Cricketers of the Decade.
- Kohli joins Australian batsman Steve Smith, and South Africans, Dale Steyn, and AB de Villiers.
- Australian all-rounder Ellyse Perry is the only female cricketer in the list.
Leander Paes to retire from Tennis in 2020
Indian tennis ace Leander Paes has announced that 2020 will be his last year as a professional tennis player.
- The 46-year old will bid adieu to the sport after next season.
- Leander, who made his Olympic debut in 1992, will look for one final flourish at Tokyo Olympics next year.
- The Indian has made 7 appearances in a row at the Olympics making him the only tennis player ever to do so.
- Paes has won eight doubles and ten mixed doubles Grand Slam titles.
Daily Current Affairs – Deaths
Renowned Hindi author Ganga Prasad Vimal killed in road accident
Renowned Hindi author Ganga Prasad Vimal was killed in a road accident in Sri Lanka.
- HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ condoled his demise.
- Born in 1939 in Uttarkashi, Vimal wrote more than a dozen poetry collections, short story collections and novels.