GK Current Affairs Quiz 26th December 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease.
Q. Name the exercise which was conducted by Indian Coast Guard (ICG) to validate and reinforce the response mechanism for oil pollution incidents and enable the Indian Coast Guard to fine-tune the actions required in such eventualities.
(a) Swachchh Deep
(b) Swachchh Blue
(c) Swachchh Ocean
(d) Swachchh Sea
(e) Swachchh Samundra
Answer: (e) Swachchh Samundra
The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) conducted a two-day regional level pollution response exercise named ‘Swachchh Samundra NW-2019’ at sea off Vadinar in Gulf of Kutch.
Q. _________ has emerged as the world’s third-largest publisher of science and engineering articles, according to a latest US report.
(c) United Kingdom
Answer: (d) India
India has emerged as the world’s third-largest publisher of science and engineering articles, according to a latest US report.
Q. In which of the following railway station Indian railway open ‘Oxygen Parlour’ to battle rising air pollution in cities?
(a) Vijayawada Railway Station
(b) Charbagh Railway Station
(c) Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus
(d) Nashik Railway station
(e) New Delhi Railway station
Answer: (d) Nashik Railway station
In a unique initiative to battle rising air pollution in cities, an ‘Oxygen Parlour’ has been opened at Nashik railway station to provide an experience of breathing clean air to the commuters. The initiative comes with the efforts of Airo Guard in collaboration with the Indian Railways.
Q. Which of the following state recently inaugurated its first “Janta clinic” to provide free primary health care to people living in slums?
(d) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: (c) Rajasthan
Rajasthan Chief Minister inaugurated its first “Janta clinic” at in the Malviya Nagar area of Jaipur. This clinic open to provide free primary health care to people living in slums.
Q. Who has been appointed as the new Foreign Secretary of India?
(a) Nirupama Rao
(b) Harsh Vardhan Shringla
(c) Ranjan Mathai
(d) Sujatha Singh
(e) Vijay Gokhale
Answer: (d) Sujatha Singh
Senior diplomat Harsh Vardhan Shringla, India’s Ambassador to the US, has been appointed as the new Foreign Secretary.
Q. __________________ has achieved its target of creating Urban India Open Defecation Free.
(a) Swachh Bharat Mission-Rural
(b) Swachhta Pakhwada
(c) Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban
(d) Swachhata Hi Seva
(e) Swachh Hindustan
Answer: (c) Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban
Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban has achieved its target of creating Urban India Open Defecation Free. Urban areas of 35 states and Union Territories have become ODF. In all, 4,320 cities out of 4,372 have declared themselves ODF, of which 4,167 cities have been certified through third-party verification.
Q. Who won gold in the women’s 49kg weightlifting category at the 6th Qatar International Cup in Doha?
(a) Punam Yadav
(b) Santoshi Matsa
(c) Geeta Rani
(d) Mirabai Chanu
Answer: (d) Mirabai Chanu
Explanation:Former world champion Saikhom Mirabai Chanu bagged the gold medal in the women’s 49kg weightlifting category at the 6th Qatar International Cup in Doha on December 20, 2019.
Q. What is the name of common currency recently announced by western Africa?
Answer: (b) ECO
Explanation:Eight countries in West Africa have decided to change the name of their common currency to ‘Eco’. These countries also decided to leave the current currency ‘CFA franc’. Benin, Burkina Faso, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Togo in West Africa are currently using this currency.
Q. Which female weightlifter won a bronze medal and created two national records in the Qatar International Cup?
(a) Karnam Malleshwari
(b) Heena Khan
(c) Jigisha Patel
(d) Rakhi Halder
Answer: (d) Rakhi Halder
Explanation:Rakhi Halder is a Commonwealth gold medalist, who has set a national record by performing best in snatch and overall weight. She made this record by lifting a total of 218 kg with 95 kg in snatch and 123 kg in clean and jerk.
Q. Who among the following won the Presidential elections in Afghanistan?
(a) Abdullah Abdullah
(b) Mohammad Salem
(c) Ashraf Gani
(d) Maqsood Alam
Answer: (c) Ashraf Gani
Explanation:Presidential election results in Afghanistan have been released. Ashraf Ghani regained the post of President by defeating rival candidate Abdullah Abdullah. Gani received 9,23,868 votes which is 50.64% of total votes.
Q. DRDO has successfully flight-tested its Surface to Air Missile system in Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the Odisha coast. What is the name of Surface to Air Missile system?
Answer: (b) QRSAM
Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QRSAM) system developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was successfully flight-tested from Integrated Test Range, Chandipur off the Odisha coast.
Q. Which nation has decided to lower import tariffs on over 850 products including frozen pork from January 2020?
Answer: (b) China
Explanation:China has decided to lower import tariffs on over 850 products including frozen pork from January 2020. The lowered tariffs are expected to help ease the pressure on the country’s depleted pork supply.
Q. Who was named captain of Cricket Australia’s ODI team of the decade?
(a) MS Dhoni
(b) Virat Kohli
(c) AB de Villiers
(d) Shakib al Hasan
Answer: (a) MS Dhoni
Explanation:MS Dhoni has been named the captain of Cricket Australia’s ODI team of the decade. Indian skipper Virat Kohli and opener Rohit Sharma were also named in the ODI team.
Q. Who was named the captain of Cricket Australia’s test team of the decade?
(a) Steve Smith
(b) MS Dhoni
(c) Kane Williamson
(d) Virat Kohli
Answer: (d) Virat Kohli
Explanation:Virat Kohli was named the captain of Cricket Australia’s Test team of the decade. The Indian skipper was the sole Indian to feature in CA’s all-time test side of the decade.
Q. Who will be elected as the leader of JMM-Congress-RJD alliance in Jharkhand?
(a) Hemant Soren
(b) Babulal Marandi
(c) Arjun Munda
(d) RPN Singh
Answer: (a) Hemant Soren
Explanation:JMM Chief Hemant Soren will be elected as the leader of the JMM-Congress-RJD alliance in Jharkhand. The opposition alliance staged a grand victory in the Jharkhand Assembly polls 2019 by bagging 47 seats in the 81-member state assembly on the result day-December 23, 2019.
Q. When will the partial solar eclipse be visible across India?
(a) December 26th
(b) December 25th
(c) December 27th
(d) December 28th
Answer: (a) December 26th
Explanation:A partial solar eclipse will be visible across India and several other countries on December 26, 2019. This event will be an annular solar eclipse, which happens when the moon covers the sun’s centre, leaving the sun’s visible outer edges to form a “ring of fire” or annulus – around the moon.
Q. In which city, President Ram Nath Kovind released the mobile app of the Red Cross Society of India?
(e) New Delhi
Answer: (c) Hyderabad
President Ram Nath Kovind released the mobile app of the Red Cross Society of India in Hyderabad.
Q. Which day was observed as Kisan Diwas or National Farmers’ Day?
(a) 25 December
(b) 20 December
(c) 31 December
(d) 26 December
(e) 23 December
Answer: (e) 23 December
Kisan Diwas or National Farmers’ Day is observed across India on December 23.
Q. Who among the following has been appointed as the President of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI)?
(a) Roopa Kudva
(b) Sangita Reddy
(c) Mallika Srinivasan
(d) Shikha Sharma
(e) Vinita Bali
Answer: (b) Sangita Reddy
Sangita Reddy, Joint Managing Director, Apollo Hospitals Group, has taken over as the President of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) for 2019-20.
Q. The World Health Organization (WHO) announced that for the 1st time it had approved a “biosimilar” medicine of _______________ to make cheaper breast cancer treatment at an affordable rate to women globally.
Answer: (c) Ontruzant
The World Health Organization (WHO) announced that for the 1st time it had approved a “biosimilar” medicine of Trastuzumab named “Ontruzant” to make cheaper breast cancer treatment at an affordable rate to women globally.
Q. What is the name of Renowned Hindustani classical vocalist, who was the author of the book ‘Maa…Siddheshwari’ has passed away recently?
(a) Vidushi Savita Devi
(b) Ananda Shankar
(c) Swathi Thirunal
(d) Ghulam Ali Khan
(e) Girija Devi
Answer: (a) Vidushi Savita Devi
Renowned Hindustani classical vocalist Vidushi Savita Devi has passed away. She was known for her thumirs. She was the author of the book ‘Maa…Siddheshwari’ which was the biography of her mother Siddeshwari Devi.
Q. Which of the following state launched the ‘YSR Nethanna Nestham’ scheme to provide financial assistance of Rs 24,000 annually to handloom weavers across the state?
(d) Andhra Pradesh
(e) Tamil Nadu
Answer: (d) Andhra Pradesh
Andhra Pradesh chief minister YS Jaganmohan Reddy launched the ‘YSR Nethanna Nestham’ scheme at Dharmavaram in Anantapur district.
Q. ______________ signed an MoU with the Gujarat government to facilitate the flow of credit in the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) sector.
(a) Central Bank of India
(b) Punjab National Bank
(c) Canara Bank
(d) Bank of India
(e) Bank of Baroda
Answer: (e) Bank of Baroda
Bank of Baroda signed an MoU with the Gujarat government to facilitate the flow of credit in the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) sector.
Q. National Farmers’ Day was observed in the remembrance of?
(a) Rajiv Gandhi
(b) Morarji Desai
(c) Chaudhary Charan Singh
(d) Lal Bahadur Shastri
(e) Gulzarilal Nanda
Answer: (c) Chaudhary Charan Singh
The National Farmers’ Day honours Chaudhary Charan Singh, the 5th Prime Minister of India whose was born on this day.
Daily Current Affairs – International
IAF Chief visits Egypt for bilateral talks
Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria is on a five-day visit to Egypt with an aim to strengthen the long-standing bilateral relations between New Delhi and Cairo.
- During the visit, the Chief of Air Staff is scheduled to visit various operational and training establishments of the Egyptian Air Force and also interact with senior officials of the Egyptian Armed Forces.
- The visit will provide an impetus towards enhancing defence cooperation between the two air forces as well as strengthening the long-standing bilateral relations between India and Egypt.
Points to Remember
- Egypt Capital : Cairo
- Currency: Egyptian Pound
Daily Current Affairs – National
Indian Railways to modernize its signalling system
Indian Railways has decided to modernize its Signalling system on its entire network by implementing Modern Train Control System (MTCS).
- This is one of the most ambitious modernization projects which envisages up-gradation of a signaling system for improving safety, Line Capacity and to run trains at a higher speed.
- Four works of the total 640-kilometre route at a cost of 1810 crore rupees have been sanctioned as pilot projects in Supplementary Works Programmes 2018-19 for extensive trials of Modern Train Control System.
- The work includes revision of Automatic Train Protection System, Electronic Interlocking System and Remote Diagnostic and Predictive Maintenance System.
First tripartite Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) signed under Fisheries and Aquaculture Development Fund (FIDF)
The first tripartite Memorandum of Agreement was signed between the department of Fisheries Government of India, NARBARD and the Government of Tamil Nadu for the implementation of Fisheries and Aquaculture Development Fund (FIDF).
- A dedicated fund has been created namely the Fisheries and Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund with a total of Rs 7522.48 crore to address the infrastructure requirement for fisheries sector.
- FIDF provides concessional finance to the eligible entities, cooperatives, individuals and entrepreneurs for development of identified fisheries infrastructure.
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD), National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC) and all scheduled banks are Nodal Loaning entities (NLEs) to provide concessional finance under the (FIDF).
PM Modi unveiled Atal Bihari Vajpayee statue in Lucknow
Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled a statue of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee at Lok Bhawan in Lucknow.
- The event coincides with the birth anniversary of Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the co-founder of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee served three terms as the Prime Minister of India.
- He was the first Indian prime minister who was not a member of the Indian National Congress party to have served a full five-year term in office.
Cabinet approves Atal Bhujal Yojana with total outlay of Rs. 6000 crore
The Cabinet approved Atal Bhujal Yojana, a Central Sector Scheme with total outlay of six thousand crore rupees.
- The scheme will be implemented over a period of 5 years in identified areas in Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
- The Cabinet also approved conduct of Census of India 2021 and updation of National Population Register.
- Cabinet approved expenditure of over 8 thousand 754 crore rupees for the exercise of Census of India 2021 and over 3 thousand 941 crore rupees for updation of National Population Register.
Andhra CM Jagan launches YSR Nethanna Nestham to benefit weavers
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy launched welfare scheme ‘YSR Nethanna Nestham’.
- The government had started a new scheme for the well-being of every handloom weaver.
- Every handloom weaver would get Rs 24,000 annually as part of the new scheme started by the government.
- Mr Reddy said nearly 85,000 handloom weaver families in the State would be benefited by the new scheme.
Daily Current Affairs – Awards
Manushi Chillar is the ‘Sexiest Vegetarian Personality’ by PETA
Former Miss World Manushi Chhillar, has been voted the Sexiest Vegetarian Personality by American animal rights organization PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals).
- Manushi is a strong advocate for vegetarianism and has expressed her views on the subject even on global platforms.
- Manushi has been roped in for Yash Raj Films’ biggest historical drama ‘Prithviraj’ where she will be seen in the lead role opposite Akshay Kumar.
Daily Current Affairs – Appointments
Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg steps down
Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg has stepped down as the company is facing tough period following two fatal crashes.
- Muilenburg will be replaced by Chairman David Calhoun effective January 13, 2020.
- Muilenburg, 55, became the CEO of the world’s largest aerospace company in July 2015.
- The company’s best selling commercial jet was grounded worldwide in March 2019 after two fatal crashes killed 346 people.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
MS Dhoni named captain of CA’s ODI team of the decade
Wicket-keeper batsman MS Dhoni has been named captain of Cricket Australia’s (CA) ODI team of the decade.
- CA announced the ODI team of the year and the lineup features three Indian players.
- Apart from Dhoni, Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma have made the cut in CA’s ODI lineup of the year.
- CA’s ODI team of the decade: Rohit Sharma, Hashim Amla, Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers, Shakib Al Hasan, Jos Buttler, MS Dhoni (c), Mitchell Starc, Trent Boult, Lasith Malinga, Rashid Khan.
Daily Current Affairs – Deaths
Renowned Hindustani classical vocalist Vidushi Savita Devi passes away
Renowned Hindustani classical vocalist Vidushi Savita Devi has passed away at the age of 80.
- Daughter and disciple of late Siddheshwari Devi and recipient of the Padma Shri award, Savita Devi had carved a niche for herself in the world of Indian classical music as an inimitable vocalist.
- She imbibed the nuances of various semi-classical vocal forms such as thumri, dadra, chaiti, kajri and tappa of the Banaras Gharana (Purabang).
- She had also received training in sitar from Pandit Ravi Shankar.