GK Current Affairs Quiz 12th December 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease.
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 11th December 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 10th December 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 9th December 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 7th December 2019
Q. When is Britain’s snap general election 2019?
(a) December 22th
(b) December 12th
(c) December 19th
(d) December 21st
Answer: (b) December 12th
Explanation:Britain’s snap general election will be held on December 12, 2019. The elections were called to break the deadlock over Brexit, which has gripped Britain ever since the 2016 referendum vote, in which majority Britons voted to leave the EU.
Q. When is NASA’s Mars rover scheduled to be launched?
Answer: (a) 2020
Explanation:NASA would be launching its Mars rover in the summer of 2020. The rover will be joining NASA’s curiosity rover on the red planet. NASA has defined different roles for the two rovers. .
Q. Which city hosted the India and Australia 2+2 Dialogue?
(c) New Delhi
Answer: (c) New Delhi
Explanation: India and Australia held Secretary level 2+2 dialogue on 9th December 2019 in New Delhi. This was the third dialogue meeting between the two countries. Defense Secretary Ajay Kumar and Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale led the Indian side. Australia’s Defense Secretary Greg Moriarty and Foreign Secretary Frances Adamson headed the Australian side. The two Defense Secretaries of India and Australia held a bilateral meeting ahead of the 3rd 2+2 dialogue. The Indian side expressed satisfaction on the ongoing defence engagements of the armed forces of the two countries. They also reaffirmed India’s commitment to further enhance cooperation with Australia, both in scope and complexity.
Q. Who introduced The Constitution(126th) Amendment Bill Introduced in Lok Sabha On December 9, 2019?
(a) Amit Shah
(b) Piyush Bhandari
(c) Smriti Irani
(d) Rajnath Singh
Answer: (a) Amit Shah
Explanation: The Constitution (126th) Amendment Bill was introduced in Lok Sabha by Home Minister Amit Shah on 9th December 2019. The bill seeks to extend the reservation provided to Schedule Caste and Schedule Tribes by 10 years. The reservation provided to SC, ST, and the Anglo-Indian community will end in January 2020.
Q. Atal Innovation was an innovative mission of which Government Organization?
(a) NGO Darpan
(b) NITI Ayog
(c) Ministry of Culture
Answer: (b) NITI Ayog
Explanation: The second phase of NITI Ayog’s Atal Innovation Mission with Russia’s SIRIUS Deep Technology and Learning ended on 9th December 2019. This joint program was carried out between the two under an MoU between SIRIUS and AIM. The event was held between 28th November and 8th December 2019.
Q. Human Library event was held in which state?
(d) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: (b) Karnataka
Explanation: Karnataka conducted a Human Library Event in Mysore on 8th December 2019. The concept of the Human Library is to break long-standing prejudices and stereotypes and to create a safe framework by using the analogy of a library where people are books.
Q. When was GST Stakeholder Feedback Diwas organized by the Government of India?
(a) 6 December 2019
(b) 9 December 2019
(c) 5 December 2019
(d) 7 December 2019
Answer: (d) 7 December 2019
Explanation: The Centre and state authorities organized GST(Goods and Services Tax) Stakeholders Feedback Day on 7 December 2019. This was done with the aim to get an instant response, feedback and suggestions to the new system of filing GST return to be introduced from the next fiscal year. The new return form is being made mandatory from April 2020. The program was organized in 125 cities across the country to get instant responses and suggestions on the new system.
Q. Who headed the Indian delegation in the 18th India-Myanmar Foreign Office Consultations held in New Delhi?
(a) Dharmendra Pradhan
(b) Ram Nath Kovind
(c) Amit Shah
(d) Vijay Gokhale
Answer: (d) Vijay Gokhale
Explanation: The 18th India-Myanmar Foreign Office Consultations were held in New Delhi on 6th December 2019. Foreign Secretary Shri Vijay Gokhale headed the Indian Delegation. The Myanmar delegation was headed by Permanent Secretary U Soe Han. Discussions were held on India’s ongoing projects in Myanmar, Capacity building initiatives, trade between the two countries, and border cooperation.
Q. Duchifat 3 – Satelite is built by students of which country?
(d) Sri Lanka
Answer: (c) Israel
Explanation: Three teenagers Alan Abramovich, Meitav Assulin and Shmuel Aviv Levi from Sha’ar HaNegev High School in Israel built the Duchifat 3 – Satelite, which will be launched by ISRO. They will be travelling to India to launch the Satelite they have named Duchifat3. These three students have designed and built the Satelite themselves. The launch will be done aboard PSLV C48 from the Sriharikota launch site of ISRO(Indian Space Research Organization) on 11 December 2019. Along with Duchifat 3, the PSLV C48 will carry and place India’s RISAT-2BR1, and 8 other Foreign satellites as payload. India enjoys a successful space program, this is the reason India was chosen to launch Duchifat 3 and also good relations between the two countries also played a major role in choosing India as launching ground.
Q. Zozibini Tunzi who won the Miss Universe Crown For 2019 belongs to which country?
(d) South Africa
Answer: (d) South Africa
Explanation: This year’s Miss Universe Crown was bagged by Miss South Africa, Zozibini Tunzi. Zozibini Tunzi was declared the winner at an event held in Tyler Perry Studios in Atlanta, The United States of America. The crown was presented by Miss Universe 2018, Catriona Gray. Zozibini is 26 years old. India was represented by Vartika Singh. She, however, failed to enter the top 10 of the contest in 2018.
Q. National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) and Aramco Asia have signed an MoU for developing MSME ecosystem in the oil and natural gas sector in India. In which country is Aramco Asia based?
(b) Saudi Arabia
Answer: (d) UAE
Explanation: India’s National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) and Saudi’s Aramco Asia have signed a Memorandum of Understanding for developing Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises(MSME) ecosystem in the oil and natural gas sector in India. This MoU will lead the way for accredited MSMEs to find a foothold in the Global space. The MoU was signed on 5th December 2019. Shri P.Udayakumar, Director (P&M) from NSIC and Mohammed Al Mughirah, President Aramco Asia inked the MoU.
Q. The Constitution (126th) Amendment Bill proposes to extend the reservation quota for SCs and STs in the legislatures by how many years?
(a) 15 years
(b) 5 years
(c) 10 years
(d) 20 years
Answer: (c) 10 years
Explanation:The Constitution (126th) Amendment Bill proposes to extend the reservation quota for SCs and STs in the Lok Sabha and the state assemblies by another 10 years, till January 25, 2030. The bill was passed by the Lok Sabha on December 10, 2019.
Q. Which community’s nomination quota in legislatures has been left out under Constitution (126th) Amendment Bill?
Answer: (a) Anglo-Indian
Explanation:The Constitution (126th) Amendment Bill has left out extension of reservation quota for the Anglo-Indian community, which is also set to expire on January 25, 2020.
Q. Which among the following satellites was launched by ISRO on December 11, 2019?
Answer: (b) RISAT-2BR1
Explanation:ISRO on December 11, 2019 launched earth observation satellite RISAT-2BR1 along with nine foreign satellites aboard PSLV-C48 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.
Q. Which Bollywood actor has been appointed by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) as its brand ambassador?
(a) Sunil Shetty
(b) Salman Khan
(c) Akshay Kumar
(d) Ajay Devgan
Answer: (a) Sunil Shetty
Explanation:Nada has hoped that Sunil Shetty’s celebrity status will prove helpful in ending doping from the Games. This year more than 150 players failed the dope test.
Q. India won how many medals at the 13th edition of the South Asian Games?
Answer: (c) 312
Explanation:India won the highest number of medals in the 13th South Asian Games held in Nepal from December 1-10, 2019. The Indian medal tally included 312 medals including 173 gold, 93 silver and 44 bronze medals. It is a biennial sports competition organized among South Asian nations.
Q. India won maximum gold medals in which sport at the South Asian Games 2019?
Answer: (d) Swimming
Explanation:India won a total of 52 medals in swimming including 27 gold, 19 silver and 6 bronze medals. This was India’s best show-ever at the Games. India also won 18 gold medals in shooting and 15 in wrestling.
Q. Who among the following was recently conferred with the Noble Peace Prize 2019?
(a) Abiy Ahmed
(b) Mehtab Hassan
(c) Alfred Medock
(d) Prag Wilson
Answer: (a) Abiy Ahmed
Explanation:Prime Minister of Ethiopia Abiy Ahmed received the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize on December 10, 2019 at Oslo, Norway. He was given the honor for his efforts to resolve Ethiopia’s long-standing conflict with neighbouring nation Eritrea.
Q. When is International Mountain Day observed every year?
(a) 10th December
(b) 8th December
(c) 9th December
(d) 11th December
Answer: (d) 11 December
Explanation:The International Mountain Day is observed annually on December 11, 2019. The day is celebrated to raise awareness about the importance of mountains, focus on opportunities and emphasize the development of mountains. The theme of International Mountains Day 2019 is “Mountains matter for Youth”.
Q. Which document will be necessary for getting the fourth installment of the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi(PM-Kisan) income support scheme?
(a) Pan Card
(b) Aadhar Card
(c) Rashan Card
(d) BPL Card
Answer: (b) Aadhar Card
Explanation: The government of India has notified that the fourth installment of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi(PM-Kisan) income support scheme which is due in December 2019 will be transferred into accounts which are Aadhaar authenticated bank accounts. There are more than 50 million beneficiaries of this scheme. The government insisting on Aadhaar authentication is coming for the first time since the launch of the scheme in February 2019.
Daily Current Affairs – International
World’s 1st fully electric commercial aircraft takes inaugural test flight in Canada
Signifying the start of the electric aviation age, the world’s first fully-electric commercial aircraft took its inaugural test flight, in Vancouver, Canada.
- The technology would mean significant cost savings for airlines, not to mention zero emissions.
- The range is enough to start the revolution, adding that batteries and electric motors will eventually be developed to power longer flights.
- The company designed the plane’s motor and worked in partnership with Harbour Air.
International Seminar cum Exhibition on Naval weapon Systems – NAVARMS-19
The fourth edition of International Seminar cum Exhibition on Naval Weapon Systems ‘NAVARMS-19’ is scheduled at Institute for Defence Studies and Analysis, Development Enclave, New Delhi on 12-13 Dec 19.
- The two day event spread over five plenary sessions will provide opportunity for exchange of ideas, create awareness and identify emerging prospects for Indian/International defence industry in the domain of Naval Weapon Systems.
- The theme of this day is to “Make in India – Fight Category: Opportunities and Imperatives”.
- NAVARMS is the only international seminar and exhibition on Naval Weapon Systems conducted in the country to invite all the stakeholders in life cycle management of Naval Weapons.
Daily Current Affairs – National
NSE launches interest rate options on 10-yr govt bonds
National Stock Exchange launched interest rate options on ten-year Government bonds.
- The exchange recorded a turnover of 5,926 contracts on the first day of its launch.
- Interest rate options will provide institutional investors the ability to manage risk through a non-linear product.
- Interest rate options are based on the underlying ten-year government bonds, which are 7.26 per cent 2029 bond and 6.45 percent 2029 bond.
MEA to host 6th Indian Ocean Dialogue, Delhi Dialogue XI
Ministry of External Affairs will host the 6th Indian Ocean Dialogue and Delhi Dialogue XI at the Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra in New Delhi on 13th and 14th of this month.
- For the first time, these two track 1.5 dialogues will be held consecutively and on similar Indo-Pacific themes.
- The Indian Ocean Dialogue will take place on 13th December and the theme is “Indo-Pacific: Re-imagining the Indian Ocean through an Expanded Geography”.
- The theme for this year’s Delhi Dialogue is “Advancing Partnership in Indo-Pacific”, and is being organized with the assistance of the Research and Information System for Developing Countries.
India among top 10 countries with higher climate performance
India, for the first time, ranks among the top 10 in this year’s Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) released at the COP25 climate summit in Spanish capital Madrid.
- The current levels of per capita emissions and energy use in India ranked 9th in the high category showing that emissions are still comparatively low.
- India’s 2030 renewable energy target is rated very high for its well-below 2 degrees Celsius compatibility.
- As none of the countries assessed is already on a path compatible with the Paris climate targets, the first three places of the ranking remain unoccupied.
- While some EU countries such as Sweden (4th) and Denmark (5th), one of the best climbers, achieve overall high or very high ratings.
- China, the largest global emitter slightly improves its ranking in the index to 30th place.
ISRO launches earth observation satellite, RISAT-2BR1 from Sriharikota
The ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) launched its earth observation satellite, RISAT-2BR1 on PSLV-C48 from the First Launch Pad (FLP) of Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
- RISAT-2BR1, a Radar imaging earth observation satellite weighing about 628 kg, will be placed into an orbit of 576 km at an inclination of 37 degrees.
- PSLV-C48, which is the 50th mission of PSLV, will also carry 9 customer satellites of Israel, Italy, Japan and the USA as co-passengers.
- These international customer satellites are being launched under a commercial arrangement with NewSpace India Limited.
Daily Current Affairs – Appointments
Dhanlaxmi Bank’s Board appoints V Viswanathan as additional director
V Viswanathan has been appointed as an Additional Director on the Board of Dhanlaxmi Bank with effect from December 09, 2019.
- Viswanathan retired as Chief General Manager of State Bank of Hyderabad in 2017.
- The Bank had appointed G Venkatanarayanan as Additional Director with effect from October 31, 2019, holding office upto the date of the next Annual General Meeting.
Daily Current Affairs – Awards
Ethiopia’s PM receives Nobel Peace Prize
Ethiopia’s Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed has received the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to achieve international peace and cooperation.
- This year’s Nobel Peace Prize was the 100th to be awarded.
- The Nobel Peace Prize consists of a diploma, a gold medal and a cheque for 9 million Swedish kronor (850,000 euros).
- The Nobel Committee announced in October it was honouring Abiy Ahmed for his efforts to resolve the long-running conflict with neighbouring for Eritrea.
National award for outstanding services in the field of Prevention of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse
Department of Social Justice and Empowerment has started the scheme of National award for outstanding services in the field of Prevention of Alcoholism and Drug abuse.
- The scheme is applicable to institutions and individuals working in the field of prevention of alcoholism and drug abuse.
- The national award will be presented to the awardees on the occasion of International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking on 26th of June next year.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
13th South Asian Games concluded in Nepal
13th South Asian Games concluded in Nepal.
- Thousands of sports lovers witnessed gala closing ceremony held at historic Dasaratha Rangshala in Kathmandu.
- India finished on top with 312 medals comprising 174 gold, 93 silver and 45 bronze.