GK Current Affairs Quiz 11th December 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease.
Q. Which state cabinet has approved an amendment to create a rural Land Bank for Industrial development?
(e) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: (d) Punjab
• The Punjab Cabinet headed by Captain Amarinder Singh gave in-principle approval to amend the Punjab Village Common Land (Regulation) Rules, 1964, to create land banks in rural areas to boost industrial development in the city.
• It was decided to further fine-tune the amendments to ensure that the Panchayats get their dues, with all decisions to be taken on a case to case basis, keeping their interests in view.
• The Cabinet cleared the proposal to provide special provision for transfer of Shamlat Lands for development of industrial infrastructure projects, to be implemented by Industry Department and Punjab Small Industries & Export Corporation.
Q. Whose tweet won India’s ‘Golden Tweet’ honour for 2019?
(a) Virat Kohli
(b) MS Dhoni
(c) Narendra Modi
(d) K Sivan
Answer: (c) Narendra Modi
Explanation:Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s tweet celebrating BJP’s landslide victory in the Lok Sabha General Elections 2019 has won India’s ‘Golden Tweet’ honour for 2019. His tweet was the most retweeted and liked tweet of the year, as per Twitter.
Q. Which Indian Telecommunications Company has rolled out Wi-Fi calling for its prepaid and postpaid subscribers?
(a) Bharti Airtel
(c) Reliance Jio
Answer: (a) Bharti Airtel
Explanation:Bharti Airtel is rolling out Wi-Fi calling feature for its prepaid and postpaid subscribers across India. The feature will enable Airtel users to use their home Wi-Fi network to make calls using VoIP, instead of relying on cellular connectivity.
Q. When is the International Human Rights Day observed?
(a) 8th December
(b) 9th December
(c) 10th December
(d) 11th December
Answer: (c) 10 December
Explanation:The International Human Rights Day is observed every year on December 10. Human rights mainly include economic, social and cultural rights and international commitments on civil and political rights.
Q. What is India’s position in the UNDP Human Development Rankings-2019?
Answer: (a) 129
Explanation:India has recorded improvement of one position in UNDP’s Human Development rankings. India ranks 129 out of 189 countries in the Human Development Rankings. However, Pakistan improved three positions and reached 147th position from 150th in 2018.
Q. Which place was named as the world’s leading destination for sports tourism in World Travel Awards?
(b) Abu Dhabi
Answer: (b) Abu Dhabi
Explanation:Abu Dhabi has been selected as the world’s leading sports tourism destination in the 26th edition of the World Tourism Awards (WTA) held in Muscat. This is the seventh consecutive time that Abu Dhabi has been selected for this prestigious award.
Q. Which Hindi poet was recently awarded the Gangadhar National Award?
(a) Vishwanath Prasad
(b) Akhilesh Chandra
(c) Suryapratap Bhushan
(d) Ashutosh Mishra
Answer: (a) Vishwanath Prasad
Explanation:Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari has recently been selected for the Gangadhar National Award. He will be given Rs 50,000, a shawl and souvenir under this award.
Q. George Laurer passed away recently at the age of 94. He was known to have invented the following feature.
(a) Credit Card
(b) Card reader
(c) Clothing iron
(d) Bar code
Answer: (d) Bar code
Explanation:George J. Laurer, who had invented Universal Product Code (Bar code) at IBM, passed away last week at the age of 94 years. His invention transformed retail and other industries across the world. He had served as an electrical engineer with IBM in North Carolina’s Research Triangle Park in the 1970s when he had spearheaded the development of bar code.
Q. Who inaugurated Gurgaon’s ambitious Integrated Command and Control Centre (ICCC)?
(a) Amit Shah
(b) Narendra Modi
(c) Ram Nath Kovind
(d) M Venkaiah Naidu
(e) Satyadev Narayan Arya
Answer: (c) Ram Nath Kovind
Explanation: Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar has inaugurated Gurgaon’s ambitious Integrated Command and Control Centre (ICCC). The ICCC has been designed to serve as the nodal point for all online data related to the Smart City applications, including CCTV-based public safety and adaptive traffic management system, smart parking system, water supply management system, pollution monitoring, property tax management system and asset management system.
Q. Manipur Government inaugurated a direct flight from Manipur to_______.
(a) New Delhi
Answer: (e) Dimapur
Explanation: Manipur Chief Minister N. Biren Singh has inaugurated Imphal to Dimapur (Nagaland) direct flight service at Imphal Airport. The flight service which is being operated by Alliance Air would be operational thrice a week. This better connectivity would build deeper connections among the people of the two states.
Q. Avantee mega Food Park inaugurated in_______.
(a) Dewas, Madhya Pradesh
(b) Indore, Madhya Pradesh
(c) Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh
(d) Satna, Madhya Pradesh
(e) Riwa , Madhya Pradesh
Answer: (a) Dewas, Madhya Pradesh
Explanation: Union Minister for food processing Harsimrat Kaur Badal inaugurated Avantee mega Food Park in Dewas in Madhya Pradesh. This first food park of central India is spread over 51 acres and has been constructed at a cost of about 150 crore rupees. About 5 thousand local people will get employment from this Mega Food Park.
Q. What is the Theme of International Anti-Corruption Day 2019?
(a) United Against Corruption
(b) Prohibit Corruption
(c) Restoring Integrity in Public Service; Regaining citizens
(d) Fight against Corruption
(e) None of the above
Answer: (a) United Against Corruption
Explanation: International Anti-Corruption Day (IACD) is being observed annually on 9th December to raise public awareness of corruption and what people can do to fight it.
Q. Who crowned as a Miss Universe 2019?
(a) Madison Anderson
(b) Sofia Argon
(c) Vartika Singh
(d) Katy Perry
(e) Zozibini Tunzi
Answer: (e) Zozibini Tunzi
Explanation: Zozibini Tunzi (26-years) of South Africa has been crowned Miss Universe 2019 in a glitzy ceremony held in Atlanta, the capital of the US state of Georgia.
Q. Who is appointed as Chairman of the National Stock Exchange?
(a) Rajeev Kumar
(b) Amitabh Kant
(c) Mr.Girish Chandra Chaturvedi
(d) Viral Acharya
(e) Shakti Singh
Answer: (c) Mr.Girish Chandra Chaturvedi
• Former petroleum secretary Girish Chandra Chaturvedi has been appointed as the Chairman of the National Stock Exchange (NSE).
• The appointment comes within weeks of him joining the NSE board as a public interest director.
• The position was vacant since Ashok Chawla resigned as the chairman of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) in January this year.
• Mr. Girish also serves as non-executive chairman of ICICI Bank.
Q. What was India’s rank in the Climate Change Performance Index 2019?
Answer: (c) 9th
Explanation:India was ranked at the 9th position in the Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI) 2019. The index was released on December 10, 2019 at the COP25 climate summit in Madrid, Spain. Besides India, only one G20 nation -the UK was ranked high in the index, while eight G20 countries were ranked in the worst category of the index.
Q. Who is elected as the youngest ever Prime Minister of Finland?
(a) Antti Rinne
(b) Sanna Marin
(c) Volodymyr Zelensky
(d) Rita Fariya
Answer: (b) Sanna Marin
Explanation: Finland’s ruling Social Democrats elected Sanna Marin (34-years) to the post of the prime minister (youngest head of govt in the country’s history). Marin will become the world’s youngest sitting prime minister.
Q. Human Library event was held in _______.
Answer: (d) Mysuru
Explanation: In Karnataka, Human Library, a concept which seeks to replace books with humans, will be held in the City of Palaces, Mysuru. The notion of Human Library was initially launched in the year 2000 and currently exists in more than 85 countries, known as The Human Library Organization.
Q. According to a new report from Britain-based tech research firm, Comparitech which country is the fifth-worst country in terms of extensive and invasive use of biometric data?
Answer: (a) India
Explanation: India is behind China, Malaysia, Pakistan and the US. India shares the fifth position with Taiwan, Indonesia and the Philippines.
Daily Current Affairs – International
World observes Human Rights Day: 10th December
The world observes Human Rights Day every year on the 10th of December.
- The day is observed to commemorate the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), which was adopted and proclaimed by the General Assembly of the United Nations in 1948.
- The Declaration recognizes that the inherent dignity and the equal and inalienable rights of mankind are the foundation of justice, freedom and peace in the world.
- It reaffirms the faith of the people of the United Nations in the fundamental human rights.
- The United Nations’ theme for this year’s Human Rights Day is – Youth Standing up for Human Rights.
Five people killed in New Zealand volcano eruption
In New Zealand, five people were killed and eight others were still missing after White Island volcano popular with tourists erupted unexpectedly.
- Among the missing are tourists from Australia, the United States, Britain, China and Malaysia, as well as New Zealanders who were acting as tour guides.
- New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern offered condolences on behalf of the country.
UAE, US joint military exercise ‘Iron Union 12’ commences
The ground troops of the United Arab Emirates and the United States has started a joint military exercise ‘Iron Union 12’.
- The drill will see the two sides taking part in military collaboration to enhance combat and tactical skills.
- The joint exercise is conducted in the presence of Maj. General Saleh Mohamed Al Amiri, Commander of the UAE Land Forces, and Lt. General Terry Ferrell, Commander of the U.S. Army Central.
Abu Dhabi selected as world’s leading sports tourism destination
Abu Dhabi has been selected as the world’s leading Sports tourism Destination at the 26th edition of the World Travel Awards (WTA) being held in Muscat.
- This is the seventh time in a row that Abu Dhabi has been selected for this coveted award.
- Abu Dhabi shined as a premium destination once again for sports tourism in 2019 after hosting some of the world’s top sporting events, such as the FIFA Club World Cup 2017 and 2018, the first edition of the UAE Tour, the AFC Asian Cup 2019, the Special Olympics World Games 2019, the UFC 242 showdown and the Brazil vs South Korea international friendly match.
- Sports tourism has been labelled by the United Nations World Travel Organisation, UNWTO, as one of the fastest growing sectors of tourism worldwide.
- The World Travel Awards was established in 1993 to acknowledge, reward and celebrate excellence across all key sectors of the travel, tourism and hospitality industries.
Nilgiri Mountain Railway conducts special service for foreign tourists
The UNESCO-recognized Nilgiri Mountain Railway (NMR) conducted a special service for foreign tourists.
- 71 tourists from several countries, including the USA, the UK and France travelled by a special steam engine service from Coonoor to Ooty.
- They were presented with special mementoes and gift hampers as well as served with the replica of the original Edmonton type cardboard ticket.
- The NMR is one of the few railways in the world that uses the unique rack and pinion system.
- In July 2005, UNESCO added the Nilgiri Mountain Railway as an extension to the World Heritage Site of Darjeeling Himalayan Railway.
Daily Current Affairs – National
Lok Sabha passes Citizenship Amendment Bill
Lok Sabha has passed the Citizenship Amendment Bill, 2019 after a marathon discussion and division.
- In all, 311 members voted in favour of the bill and 80 members opposed it.
- The bill, among other things, seeks to grant citizenship to Hindus, Jains, Parsis, Buddhists and Christians who migrated to India till the end of 2014 from countries like Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan, due to reasons like persecutions.
- However, the bill exempts certain tribal areas included in the Sixth Schedule and those falling under the Inner Line Permit Regime in the North Eastern States.
- It amends the Citizenship Act 1955, the Passport Act 1920 and the Foreigners Act 1946 for implementation of its provisions.
Govt to allow girls’ education in all Sainik School
Union Government will allow girls’ education in all Sainik School in a phased manner.
- Minister of State for Defence Shripad Naik said, presently entry of girls in five Sainik Schools has been allowed.
- These 5 schools are Kalikiri (Andhra Pradesh), Kodagu (Karnataka), Ghorakhal (Uttarakhand), Chandrapur (Maharashtra) and Bijapur (Karnataka).
- The co-educational policy adopted on a pilot-basis at Sainik School in Mizoram and now is being implemented across the country.
Finland elects Sanna Marin, the youngest-ever Prime Minister
Finland’s Social Democrats elected a 34-year-old former transport minister to the post of the prime minister, making her the youngest head of government in the country’s history.
- Sanna Marin narrowly won vote to replace outgoing leader Antti Rinne, who resigned on after losing the confidence of the coalition partner Centre Party over his handling of a postal strike.
- Former PM Antti Rinne had headed Finland’s centre-left five-party coalition since June.
Daily Current Affairs – Business
SBI announces reduction in one-year MCLR by 10 basis points
Country’s largest lender State Bank of India has announced the reduction in its marginal cost of fund based lending rate (MCLR) by 10 basis points across all one-year products.
- It is effective from 10 December 2019.
- This is the eighth consecutive cut in MCLR by the lender this fiscal.
- The new one-year MCLR has been cut to 7.90 per cent from 8 per cent.
WADA bans Russia from international sporting events for four years
The World Anti-Doping Agency, WADA, banned Russia for four years, from participation in global sporting events, including the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics.
- The ban came after accusing Moscow of falsifying data from an anti-doping laboratory.
- Russia’s anti-doping agency can appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport within 21 days.
- The Russian flag and national anthem have also been banned in global events.