Daily Current Affairs – International
World Soil Day: 05 December
World Soil Day is observed on 5 December every year to raise awareness about the importance of soil on Earth.
- As per the UN, every 5 seconds, the equivalent of one soccer field of soil is eroded.
- Theme: ‘Stop Soil Erosion, Save our Future’
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 6th December 2019
- Daily Current Affairs GK 5th December 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 5th December 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 4th December 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 1st December 2019
- Daily Current Affairs GK 1st December 2019
Bosnia takes full control of its air space
Bosnia took full control of its air space for the first time ever after its 1990s war of independence led to a period of oversight by international peace forces.
- Control over its air space was maintained by NATO-led peace forces from 1995 until 2003 when it was transferred to neighbouring Serbia and Croatia while Bosnia built up and modernised its own system.
- Bosnia took control of air space below 10,000 metres (33,000 feet) in 2014 following a 10-year project to establish its own air navigation management system and after the training of some 400 staff.
Points to Remember
- Bosnia and Herzegovina is a country on the Balkan Peninsula in southeastern Europe.
- Capital: Sarajevo
Daily Current Affairs – National
ISRO set up a research Lab at Tiruchirappalli
ISRO has set-up a Space Technology Incubation Centre (S-TIC) at the National Institute of Technology (NIT), Tiruchirappalli.
- The centre will work with ISRO on the technical problems at hand related to the future Space programmes and shall provide solutions.
- This S-TIC will cater to the southern region of India, including Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamilnadu, Telangana, the Union Territories of Lakshadweep and Puducherry.
Vice Prez M Venkaiah Naidu launches Bharatiya POSHAN Anthem
Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu launched the Bharatiya POSHAN Anthem in New Delhi.
- It aims at taking the message of making India malnutrition-free by 2022 to all corners of the country.
- The anthem was conceptualised by the Ministry of Women and Child Development, penned by noted lyricist Prasoon Joshi and sung by Shankar Mahadevan.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had in March 2018 launched the ‘Poshan Abhiyan or National Nutrition Mission’ with an objective to make India malnutrition free by 2022 by ensuring holistic development and adequate nutrition for pregnant women, mothers and children.
The National Museum of Indian Cinema tickets will now be available on BookMyShow
The National Museum of Indian Cinema, NMIC tickets will now be available on BookMyShow.
- A Memorandum of Understanding for online ticketing of NMIC has been signed between Films Division and BookMyShow in New Delhi.
- Information and Broadcasting Ministry said, with this, booking a ticket to visit NMIC will be a click away, benefiting film lovers in India and abroad.
- NMIC, the only museum in India dedicated to the cinema is an institution of national importance and was inaugurated by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi in January this year at Films Division complex, Mumbai.
Madhu app for e-learning launched in Odisha
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched ‘Madhu App’, an e-learning mobile phone app, to make classroom learning easier for students.
- By using this Android App, students will be able to download video lectures and exercises by qualified teachers in Odia language.
- The App has been named after the noted freedom fighter and social reformer Madhusudan Das.
- Initially, the App contains videos and exercises in mathematics and science subjects for students from classes 5 to 8
Mumbai Central gets first ‘Eat Right Station’ certification from FSSAI
The Mumbai Central station of Railways was conferred with the ‘Eat Right Station’ certification with four stars rating by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- With this, Mumbai Central Railway Station is the country’s first “Eat Right Station.”
- FSSAI, along with Western Railways (WR) and Indian Railways Catering Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), has trained food handlers, both in canteens and base kitchens.
- They inspected catering establishments at the station and certified and rated the standard of food.
‘Joker’ fame Joaquin Phoenix named PETA’s Person of the Year
‘Joker’ Star Joaquin Phoenix has been named 2019 Person of the Year by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
- Phoenix is vegan since the age of three and has been a longtime supporter of the animal rights organisation.
- He recently appeared in PETA’s “We Are All Animals” billboards in Times Square and on Sunset Billboard as he promoted legislation to ban travelling wild-animal circuses.
- Previous PETA Person of the Year winners includes Pope Francis, Oprah Winfrey, Anjelica Huston, Olivia Munn, Eva Mendes and Alicia Silverstone.
Daily Current Affairs- Awards
Former FM Arun Jaitley conferred with ET Lifetime Achievement Award
Former Finance Minister Arun Jaitley was conferred posthumously with the Lifetime Achievement Award for Public Service at the Economic Times Award 2019.
- His wife Sangeeta Jaitley and daughter Sonali received the special award on behalf of late Arun Jaitley from Amit Shah.
- Arun Jaitley served as the Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs of the Government of India from 2014 to 2019.
Virat Kohli regains no.1 spot in ICC Test rankings
India captain Virat Kohli regained the top spot in the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) Test rankings in batting.
- Australian Steve Smith slipped a rung in the latest list issued in Dubai.
- Kohli, who had struck a fine 136 in the day-night Kolkata Test against Bangladesh last week, reached 928 points.