Daily Current Affairs – National
Vice Prez M Venkaiah Naidu launches Bharatiya POSHAN Anthem
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu launched the ‘Bharatiya Poshan Anthem’ in New Delhi.
- The aims towards taking the message of making India malnutrition free to all corners of the country.
- The anthem was conceptualised by Union Ministry of Women and Child Development (MoWCD) and has been penned by noted lyricist Prasoon Joshi and sung by Shankar Mahadevan.
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 5th December 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 4th December 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 1st December 2019
- Daily Current Affairs GK 1st December 2019
EC to implement Political Parties RTMS
- The Election Commission of India will implement the political parties Registration Tracking Management System (RTMS).
- It will be implemented through an online portal to facilitate tracking of the status of the application by applicants.
- The Commission said, the applicant who is applying for party registration from 1st January 2020 onwards will be able to track the progress of his or her application and will get status through SMS and email.
Sunil Arora is the Chief Election Commissioner of India.
International Volunteer Day: 5 December
- The International Volunteer Day (IVD) is observed across the world on 5 December every year. This year theme is ” Volunteer for an inclusive future”.
- This year’s theme highlighting Sustainable Development Goal 10 (SDG 10) and the pursuit of equality including inclusion through volunteerism.
World Soil Day: 5 December
- World Soil Day is celebrated annually on the 5th of December at the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) headquarters in Rome, Italy.
- This year, by addressing the increasing challenges of soil management, the FAO campaign “Stop soil erosion, Save our future” aims to raise awareness of the importance of sustaining healthy ecosystems and human well-being.
- By encouraging people around the world to engage in proactively improving soil health, the campaign also aims to raise the profile of healthy soil.
- The International Union of Soil Sciences (IUSS), in 2002, adopted a resolution proposing the 5th of December as World Soil Day to celebrate the importance of soil as a critical component of the natural system and as a vital contributor to human well-being.
Indian Navy Day: 4 December
- Navy Day is being celebrated in India on 4th December.
- The day is celebrated in honour of the maritime force’s role during the war with Pakistan in 1971 when Indian warships attacked Karachi port and successfully hurt Pakistani operations in the western coast.
- The Day is also celebrated to highlight the role the Navy plays in securing the country’s marine borders during peacetime and carrying out humanitarian missions.
- As per the recent Data, since 2008, 70 Indian naval warships have been deployed, which safely escorted over 3440 ships with over 25,000 mariners on board.
Chief of the Naval Staff (CNS): Admiral Karambir Singh.
UP govt announces 25% subsidy & full stamp duty waiver for defence industry
- Uttar Pradesh government has decided to provide 25 per cent subsidy and 100 per cent stamp duty waiver for setting up the defence industry in the state.
- The state government will also provide all facilities including power, road and fencing of land to the companies that will set up defence industries.
UP Present CM: Yogi Adityanath, Governor: Anandiben Patel.
Exercise HAND-IN-HAND 2019 to commence from 7 December
- Exercise HAND-IN-HAND 2019 is to be conducted at Umroi, Meghalaya.
- The 8th India-China joint training is held under the United Nations mandate.
- The exercise will be held from 7-20 December 2019.
- The aim of the Exercise HAND-IN-HAND 2019 is to practice joint planning and conduct of counter-terrorist operations in semi-urban terrain.
- The theme of the 14-day long training exercise is Counter-terrorism.
- From the Chinese side, the Tibet Military command comprises 130 personal who will be participating in the event.
- From the Indian Contingent, more than 100 personnel will participate in the training exercise
Law Ministry launched a drive on fundamental duties
- The Department of Justice (DOJ) has launched a programme to create awareness of their fundamental duties among the citizens.
- The year-long drive is a part of the celebrations of the 70th anniversary of Constitution Day that was celebrated on 26 November.
Drive on fundamental duties:
- The department will conduct activities such as online quizzes, essay competitions, and preamble pledge signing contest. It will be organized to educate them about their constitutional responsibilities.
- The Ministry has outlined which duties should be handled by each ministry and asked them to prepare a calendar of activities.
- The Fundamental Duties were incorporated in Part IV-A of the Constitution by the 42nd amendment.
- Article 51-A describes 11 Fundamental Duties. In 2002, one more duty was added by the 86th amendment. It was borrowed from USSR.
The Fundamental Duties are:
- Abide by the Indian Constitution and respect the national flag and National Anthem
- Follow ideals of the freedom struggle
- Protect sovereignty & integrity of India
- Defend the country and render national services when called upon
- Sprit of common brotherhood
- Preserve composite culture
- Preserve natural environment
- Develop scientific temper
- Safeguard the public property
- Strive for excellence
- Duty of all parents or guardians to send their children in the age group of 6-14 years to school
ECI to implement “Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System” (PPRTMS)
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) has launched the Political Parties Registration Tracking Management System (PPRTMS).
- ECI has reviewed the system and process of registration of political parties. The new guidelines will be effective from 1 January 2020.
- The guidelines are available on the ECI’s website https://eci.gov.in. PPRTMS will be implemented through an online portal.
Features of PPRTMS:
- The portal will track the status of application by applicants. The applicant who applies for the party registration from 1 January 2020 onwards will be able to track the progress of the application.
- The candidate will get status update through SMS and email.
- The applicant must provide the contact mobile number and email address of either the party or the applicant in his application if he/she wishes to track the progress of the application
Daily Current Affairs – International News
Pritivirajsing Roopun elected as new President of Mauritius by parliament
- The National Assembly of Republic of Mauritius has unanimously elected Prithvirajsing Roopun, as new President of the island nation, a largely ceremonial post.
- He was former arts and culture minister of the country. In Mauritius, Prime Minister is head of government and holds most political power while the president is head of state but has no executive role and is considered guardian of the constitution.
The Prime Minister of Mauritius: Pravind Kumar Jugnauth.
Putin and Xi launched Russia-China gas pipeline
- Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping launched the Siberia pipeline project.
- The pipeline will transport natural gas from Siberia to northeast China. The move aims to boost the economic and political ties between Russia and China.
- The pipeline project shows Russia’s attempts in helping China from the financial sanctions imposed by the US over China’s 2014 annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea.
- It is a 3,000-km-long Power of Siberia pipeline.
- It will transport gas from the Chayandinskoye and Kovytka fields in eastern Siberia
- The project will generate $400 billion for Russian state coffers.
- The project began in October 2012 and it was commissioned on 2 December 2019.
Russia’s other plans:
- Russia is planning to launch two other major energy projects.
- One project, the Nord Stream 2 undersea Baltic gas pipeline to Germany and the other, TurkStream pipeline to Turkey and southern Europe.
Daily Current Affairs – Appointments
Masatsugu Asakawa elected ADB President
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) board has unanimously elected Masatsugu Asakawa as its new president.
- He is currently a special advisor to Japan’s Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, will assume office as ADB’s 10th President on January 17, 2020.
- He will succeed Takehiko Nakao, who will leave office on January 16, 2020.
- He served as a Visiting Professor at the University of Tokyo from 2012 to 2015 and at Saitama University from 2006 to 2009.
ADB established: 1966, ADB is owned by 68 members.
Sundar Pichai promoted as Alphabet Inc. CEO
- Sundar Pichai promoted as Alphabet Inc. CEO after Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin have announced that they are stepping down from the leadership role of the parent company Alphabet.
- Google CEO Indian-American Sundar Pichai will be assuming the role of Alphabet Inc CEO, making him one of the most powerful corporate leaders of the world.
- Alphabet and Google no longer need two CEOs and a President and Sundar Pichai will be the CEO of both Google and Alphabet.
Google established: 4 September 1998.
Headquarters: Mountain View, California, United States.
Daily Current Affairs – Agreements
ADB provides $206m loan to finance Tamil Nadu Urban Investment Programme
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has agreed to advance a loan of US $206 million to develop water supply and sewerage infrastructure in Tiruchi and other cities in Tamil Nadu.
- It will also strengthen the capacities of Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) for improved service delivery.
- The project initiatives are also expected to help the state develop the requisite ecosystem for economic growth.
- The project will target cities namely Ambur, Tiruchirappalli, Tiruppur, and Vellore for developing sewage collection and treatment and drainage systems.
- Improvement to water supply systems would be targeted in the cities of Madurai and Tiruppur.
Country Director of ADB’s India Resident Mission: Kenichi Yokoyama.
Walmart launches credit card in partnership with HDFC Bank
- Walmart India, in partnership with HDFC Bank, launched a co-branded credit card exclusively for members of its Best Price Modern Wholesale “B2B Cash & Carry” stores, offering “free credit up to 50 days.
- The card is being supported by Diners Club International which has acceptance of its own membership card in 185 countries.
Headquarters of Walmart India: Gurgaon, Haryana.
President and CEO of Walmart India: Krish Iyer.
Daily Current Affairs – Awards
Lionel Messi wins Ballon d’Or for 6th time
- Barcelona forward Lionel Messi has won the Ballon d’Or award for the world’s best player for a record 6th time.
- It is the 32-year-old Argentine’s first Ballon d’Or since 2015 and comes after he scored 54 times for club and country in 2018-19, in which Barca won La Liga.
- Virgil van Dijk was second-one of four Liverpool players in the top seven, including Sadio Mane in fourth.
- Juventus and Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo, who has won the award five times, was third in the voting.nce.
Daily Current Affairs – Defence
India successfully test-fires indigenously developed nuke-capable Prithvi-II missile
- India successfully test-fired its indigenously developed surface-to-surface nuclear-capable Prithvi-II missile off Odisha coast.
- The Strategic Forces Command of the Indian Army conducted the user trial of the 350 km range missile from a mobile launcher from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur.
- The missile weighs about 4,600 kg, is capable of carrying 500 to 1000 kilograms of warheads and is thrust by liquid propulsion twin engines.
- The 9 meters tall, single-stage liquid-fueled Prithvi-II is the first missile to have been developed by the DRDO under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme.
- This missile is developed under the joint collaboration of Defence Research and Development Organization and Bharat Dynamics Limited, the missile was first test-fired on 27 January 1996.
DRDO Chairman: G Satheesh Reddy, Established: 1958, Headquarters: New Delhi.
Daily Current Affairs – Schemes and Committees
Govt launches 4th round of Regional Connectivity Scheme-UDAN
- The government has launched the 4th round of Regional Connectivity Scheme – UDAN (Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik) to further enhance the connectivity to remote and regional areas of the country.
- The focus in this round will be North East Region, Hilly States, Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh and Islands.
- The scheme was launched in October 2016, which seeks to provide connectivity to un-served and under-served regions through the revival of existing airstrips and airports.
UDAN scheme came under: Ministry of Civil Aviation.
Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Civil Aviation: Hardeep Singh Puri.
Daily Current Affairs – Business
- The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a unit of the World Bank Group, has anchored an investment round of $200million in Mahindra & Mahindra Financial Services Limited (MMFSL).
- Mahindra & Mahindra Financial Services Limited (MMFSL) is a Rural NBFC (Non-Banking Financial Company) with the objective to create a ‘pool’ specifically for financing micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) in low-income states.
- IFC is investing $75 million from its own account and mobilizing another $125 million as parallel loans.
- At the same time, Mahindra Finance has committed to invest $225 million in this fund.
- At least $ 100 million of this would be for women-owned MSMEs & it will be supported by blended finance from the IFC-Goldman Sachs’ Women Entrepreneurs Opportunity Facility.
Daily Current Affairs – Economy
- Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises reported that Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises sector has contributed over 29% of Gross domestic product (GDP) and over 49% of Indian exports.
- The report was submitted by the Union MSME Minister Nitin Gadkari.
- The Indian government has taken many initiatives to enhance the competitiveness of MSMEs.
- Government has introduced various schemes like Micro and Small Enterprises–Cluster Development Programme, Credit Linked Capital Subsidy and Technology Upgradation Scheme (CLCS-TUS), Procurement and Marketing Support and support for MSMEs to participate in international exhibitions and trade fairs.
- It has also conducted many conferences, summits, workshops, etc, to enhance the sector.
Daily Current Affairs – Obituries
- Baskar Menon, Veteran Journalist in the Press Trust of India (PTI) passes away.
- He was the Regional Manager in the south division of the PTI.
- He has also handled many crucial news like the assassination of former Prime Minister (PM) of India, Rajiv Gandhi in the year 1991.
Daily Current Affairs – Miscellaneous
35th anniversary of Bhopal Gas Tragedy
- The 35th anniversary of Bhopal Gas Tragedy is being observed across the country.
- It is one of the world’s worst industrial disaster that claimed thousands of lives on the night of December 2, 1984.
- The disaster took place in a pesticide production plant, named the Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL).
- The leak of 40 tonnes of deadly methyl isocyanate gas on the intervening night of December 2 and 3, 1984.
- The gas cloud killed 3,787 people in and around Bhopal, according to Madhya Pradesh government’s estimates.
- However, other reports suggest the actual death tally to be anywhere between 16,000 and 30,000, and the injury count close to 500,000.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
- The 13th South Asian Games (SAG) began at the newly constructed Dasharath Stadium in Kathmandu, Nepal on 1 December 2019.
- The multi-sport event was inaugurated by the President of Nepal Bidya Devi Bhandari. The games will be held from 1-10 December in three cities namely, Pokhara, Kathmandu, and Janakpur.
- In 2019 SAG, athletes from Nepal, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan, Bhutan, Maldives, and Sri Lanka are participating in 26 different sports.
- More than 2,000 athletes will compete for 1119 medals.
South Asian Games (SAG):
- SAG was held for the first time in September 1984 in Kathmandu, Nepal. The games are held once every 2 years.
- It is held among the Asian athletes. South Asia Olympic Council (SAOC) is the governing body of SAG.
- The 8 members of SAG are India, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Afghanistan, the Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka.