Daily Current Affairs – National
Delhi Assembly to host 3-day Commonwealth Youth Parliament
Delhi Assembly will host a three-day Commonwealth Youth Parliament.
- As many as 47 participants from 24 Commonwealth countries will participate in the event along with eleven participants from India.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla will be the Chief Guest of the event.
- It is for the first time that an Indian Legislature is hosting the Commonwealth Youth Parliament.
- The event is being organized to enlighten the youth about legislative processes and encourage their participation in legislative procedures and decision making.
- Daily Current Affairs GK 25th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 23rd November 2019
- Daily Current Affairs GK 23rd November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 22nd November 2019
- Daily Current Affairs GK 22nd November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 20th November 2019
- Daily Current Affairs 20th November 2019
UP govt launches immunisation campaign against Filaria
Uttar Pradesh government is launching a massive immunisation campaign against the filariasis or Filaria from 25 November.
- Central government has set year 2021 as the deadline for complete eradication of filaria in country.
- Campaign will be launched by Health and Family Welfare Minister Jai Pratap Singh.
- District will be provided DEC tablet, Albendazole and ivermectin.
National Tribal Craft Mela- 2019 being held in Bhubaneswar
Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik inaugurated the 8th National Tribal Craft Mela at State Tribal Museum Complex in Bhubaneswar.
- As a part of Odisha Government’s ‘5Ts’ initiative, (which is aimed at achieving progress through Transparency, Teamwork, Technology, Time and Transformation) 45 Supplementary Readers prepared in 21 Tribal languages were released simultaneously by Chief Minister on the occasion of Tribal Mela.
- The National Tribal Crafts Mela is held annually with an aim to preserve, promote and popularize traditional tribal art and crafts and help the artisans to look for better opportunities to develop their skills through cross-cultural interactions for the commercial viability of their products.
Manipur Sangai Festival 2019 being organised in Imphal
The 2019 edition of Manipur Sangai Festival is being organised from 24-30 November in Imphal.
- Every year in November, Gateway of North-East region, Manipur celebrates the ‘Sangai Festival’, which was named after the State animal, Sangai, the brow-antlered deer found only in Manipur.
- Manipur Sangai Festival was started in year 2010.
- The Manipur Sangai Festival 2018 was organized at different locations in Imphal and Bishnupur District.
- It is one of the largest Government-sponsored tourism fests. The Festival is all about unity in diversity and a true reflection of Manipur’s saga.
NSO survey on drinking water, hygiene, sanitation and housing condition
The NSO under Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation conducted survey on drinking water, hygiene, sanitation and housing condition between the period July 2018 and December 2018.
- According to the survey one fourth of the households had no access to toilets.
- The survey says that around 42.9% of the households in rural areas and around 40.9% households in urban areas are still using hand pumps.
- About 80.7% in urban area and 58.2% in rural areas had drinking water facilities within the household premises.
- The survey reports that around 94.5% in rural and 97.4% in urban used improved water resources. Improved water resources include piped water, hand pump, tube well, protected spring, private tanker truck, rain water collection and bottled water.
CBDT inaugurates Web Portal for exchange of information on Income Tax
Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has inaugurated the Web Portal for Exchange of Information on Income Tax which will consolidate all relevant Automatic Exchange of Information (AEOI) related information at one place.
- This portal will help in convenient access by public, financial institutions as well as departmental officers at large.
- The Web Portal would be a repository of policy and technical circulars, guidance, notifications issued by the CBDT.
- It would provide links to relevant circulars, guidance issued by regulatory authorities in India and other international bodies.
Madhya Pradesh: Sportspersons will get 5% reservation in government jobs
The state government of Madhya Pradesh has announced 5% reservation to national and international medalist’s sportspersons in state government jobs.
- The announcement in this regard was made by Madhya Pradesh Minister of Sports and Youth Welfare Jitu Patwari while inaugurating the Regional Olympic Games at Kampoo sports complex in Gwalior.
- Every year, the Madhya Pradesh government provides government jobs to Vikram awardees. Vikram Award is the highest sports awards for players in state.
- Besides this national and international medallists have quota in state police department.
Daily Current Affairs – Awards
Floating school project in Bangladesh wins Aga Khan Architecture Award
Bangladesh is a land of water. A large part of its landscape remains submerged under water during the monsoon months. When Razia Alam came back from England after retirement as teacher, she wanted to build a school for children which is spacious, modern and healthy for learning.
- She also wanted it to be built at a land which was under water for about six months of the year during monsoon period. She contacted the internationally renowned architect of Bangladesh Saif Ul Haque to design the school.
- He took up the project and came with a school which has won many prestigious awards including the Aga Khan award. It is a floating school named ‘The Arcadia Education Project’.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
India bag 28 medals including 13 gold in U-15 Asian Wrestling Championships
In wrestling, India concluded its campaign at the Under-15 Asian Championships with 28 medals, including 13 gold, 14 silver and a bronze.
- Led by 2019 Cadet World Championships bronze medalist Deepak Chahal, the freestyle grapplers captured four gold while one gold came in the Greco-Roman category.
- For the first time, India finished on top of the team rankings in freestyle category with 225 points.
- Kazakhstan finished second while Japan was third.
Lakshya Sen wins Scottish Open title
In badminton, India’s Lakshya Sen has won the Scottish Open men’s single title, defeating Brazilian Ygor Coelho to seal his fourth title in three months.
- The 18-year-old Indian started his year with a silver medal at the Polish Open International Challenge in March.
- After a series of disappointing exits, Sen went on to win the Belgian International in September, his first title of the year.
- Within a month, Lakshya won his first BWF Super 100 title at the Dutch Open, with the second one coming soon after, at the SaarLorLux Open in Germany.
- India beat Bangladesh by an innings and 46 runs in the Day and Night Pink ball Test to win the series 2-0 at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata. The victory in the second Test records a 12th home series win in a row. India had earlier won the first Test against Bangladesh by an innings and 130 runs in Indore.
- After bundling out Bangladesh for 103 on the first day of the second Test, India declared their first innings at 347 for nine. Bangladesh resumed their second innings at 152 for six on day three and trailing India by 89 runs.
- Hosts bowled out the visitors for 195 runs to register win in the historic match. Umesh Yadav claimed 5 wickets while Ishant Sharma took four wickets. Ishant took a five wicket haul in first innings too.
- The game will also be remembered for Virat Kohli’s 27th Test ton, extending his overall tally to 70 international hundreds.
- Indian boxing star Vijender Singh for Ghana’s former Commonwealth champion Charles Adamu claim his 12th successive win and ensure that his four-year unbeaten streak in the professional circuit.
- The 34-year-old former Olympic bronze-medallist prevailed unanimously in an eight-round super middleweight contest against the 42-year-old.
- Indian’s right hand just too precise and powerful to handle for Adamu who looked intimidated.
- Adamu came into this fight with an experience of 47 bouts of won 33. The Ghanian is an Olympian and won a bronze medal for his country in the 1998 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur during his amateur days.
Bodybuilder Chitharesh Natesan crowned as Mr Universe 2019
- Chitahresh Natesan who is a 33yr old former hockey player turned bodybuilder. He is known as the ‘Indian Monster’ by bodybuilding circles.
- He became the first Indian to win Mr. Universe (Pro) 2019 in the 90kg category at the 11th World Bodybuilding and Physique Sports Championship(WBPF) in South Korea.
- India secured the second position in the team championship category at the same event.
- The title of IBFF Mr. World (Overall Champion category 2018) and a recipient of Professional Body Building Card by IBFF. He awarded Mr. Asia, 2017 (Overall Category) four times Mr. India Champion for the years 2015-2018. And also won the title of Mr. Delhi four times for the years 2015-2018.
IAAF officially changed its name as “World Athletics”
- The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has officially changed its name and will now be known as “World Athletics”.
- The name has been changed in a bid to make the sport more accessible.
- The IAAF was founded in 1912 as the International Amateur Athletic Federation and changedits name to the “International Association of Athletics Federations” in 2001.
Brazil lifted U-17 World Cup title
- The Brazilian football team defeated the football team of Mexico in the finals for 2-1, to win the 18th edition of the FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association) under 17 World Cup trophy held in Brasilia, Brazil recently.
- The victory added to Brazil’s successes in 1997, 1999 and 2003 as it moved within one of Nigeria’s record of five championships.
Bajrang Punia honoured in Dubai
- Indian wrestler Bajrang Punia was conferred the Indian Personality of the Year Award (Sports) at the Indo Arab Leaders Summit & Awards 2019 in Dubai recently.
- World powerlifting champion Mahant Gaurav Sharma was also honoured with Visionary Leaders of the Year (Sports) award
Rafael Nadal clinches sixth Davis Cup title
- In tennis, world number one Rafael Nadal has clinched sixth Davis Cup title for Spain after beating Denis Shapovalov of Canada in front of a jubilant home crowd in Madrid. Nadal defeated Shapovalov 6-3, 7-6 (9-7) to clinch Spain’s 2-0 win against Canada.
- Earlier, compatriot, Roberto Bautista Agut put Nadal in position to clinch the trophy with a 7-6, 6-3 win against Felix Auger-Aliassime in the opener.
- The world number one has won all eight of his rubbers this week to help Spain to a first title since 2011. In 2010 Nadal won three majors, but the 33-year-old will likely look back on 2019 as an extraordinary year as he won the French Open and the US Open, made the Australian Open final and also reached the Wimbledon semifinals.
Daily Current Affairs – International
Oxford Names ‘Climate Emergency’ as the Word of the Year 2019
- Oxford Dictionaries named climate emergency as its 2019 Word of the Year choosing it from an all-environmental shortlist that also included climate action, climate denial eco-anxiety extinction, and flight shame.
- The Word of the Year citation is intended to highlight a word or expression shown through usage evidence to reflect the ethos, mood, or preoccupations of the passing year, and have lasting potential as a term of cultural significance. Recent winners have included toxic youthquake post-truth and vape.
- The shortlist includes a variety of different words that illustrate new trends in language usage.
- The use of the term climate emergency increased by a hundredfold since 2018, according to data collected in the Oxford Corpus, a database containing hundreds of millions of words of written English.
- It is the most common compound involving emergency occurring three times as often as the next most-common, health emergency.
- This reflects a deliberate decision by some news organizations, including The Guardian, to use climate emergency or climate crisis instead of climate change to better convey the urgency of the situation.
- It reflects similar deliberate decision to focus people’s attention, but a reading, if a necessarily subjective one, of the lexicographic evidence.
Daily Current Affairs – Economy
- The 15th Finance Commission Chairman N K Singh for significant changes in the GST structure, including reducing the complicated procedures with frequent rate changes, to improve collection.
- He pitched for rationalization of Centrally- sponsored schemes. Ther commission has visited nearly all the states in the run-up to the preparation of its report and that many of them have complained that GST has circumscribed the fiscal autonomy.
Daily Current Affairs – Science and Technology
- India successfully test fired its indigenously developed nuclear capable surface-to-surface Prithvi-2 missile from a test range off Odisha coast.
- Two Prithvi-2 missiles were test fired consecutively and both tests met all parameters.
- Prithvi-2 is capable of carrying 500-1,000 kg of warheads and is powered by liquid propulsion twin engines.