Daily Current Affairs – 22nd November 2019
World Television Day: 21 November
World Television Day is celebrated on 21 November every year.
- The day recognizes that television plays a major role in presenting different issue that affects people.
- UN General Assembly proclaimed November 21 as World Television Day to commemorate the date on which the first World Television Forum was held.
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 22nd November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 20th November 2019
- Daily Current Affairs 20th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 19th November 2019
- Daily Current Affairs 19th November 2019
- GK Current Affairs Quiz 18th November 2019
World Children’s Day: 20 November
Every year Universal Children’s Day is celebrated on November 20 each year to promote international togetherness and awareness among children worldwide.
- The United Nations’ (UN) Universal Children’s Day was established in 1954.
- November 20th is an important date as it is the date in 1959 when the UN General Assembly adopted the Declaration of the Rights of the Child.
Daily Current Affairs – National
Cabinet approves the establishment of National Institute for Sowa-Rigpa in Leh
The Union Cabinet approved the establishment of the National Institute for Sowa-Rigpa (NISR) in Leh.
- Sowa-Rigpa is a traditional Tibetan system of medicine practised in the Himalayan belt of India.
- The Cabinet approved the establishment of the NISR as an autonomous body under the Ministry of AYUSH at an estimated cost of Rs 47.25 crore.
- The setting up of the National Institute of Sowa-Rigpa (NISR) would provide an impetus for the revival of Sowa-Rigpa in the Indian Sub-continent.
UGC asks higher educational institutions to celebrate Constitution Day on Nov 26
University Grants Commission, UGC has issued circular to higher educational institutions to celebrate Constitution Day on 26th of November.
- On this day in 1949, the Constitution was adopted which came into force on 26th January 1950.
- The commission has requested universities and affiliated colleges to make dedicated efforts to promote and spread awareness about the constitution and fundamental duties among their students, teachers staff and officials.
Global Bio-India Summit begins in Delhi
Three-day Global Bio-India Summit 2019 begins in New Delhi.
- It will be one of the largest biotechnology stakeholders conglomerate to be held in India for the first time.
- It will bring academia, innovators, researchers, start-ups, medium and large companies together on the same platform.
- Over three thousand delegates from around 25 countries and over 15 states of India will participate in the mega event.
UP CM Yogi Adityanath inaugurates Munderwa Sugar Mill in Basti district
Uttar Pradesh, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated the newly-established Munderwa Sugar Mill in Basti district.
- It will be the third inauguration of sugar mills in the state in just three weeks after the opening of mills in Ramala in Baghpat and Pipraich in Gorakhpur.
- Like the Pipraich sugar mill, Munderwa sugar mill was closed.
- There was a long farmers’ agitation in 2003 to start the mill, which claimed three lives in police firing.
- Munderwa mill will have a capacity of 5000 Tons of Cane per Day and generate 27 Mega Watt of power.
Assam govt to start Arundhati gold scheme by January 2020
The Assam government will start Arundhati gold scheme by January next year for the registered newly married couples.
- Under the scheme, an amount of 30 thousand rupees will be given to the bride to purchase gold.
- The scheme is aimed to promote marriage registrations and prevent under-age marriages in the state.
- The annual income of the bride and her father should not be more than 5 lakh rupees per year to get the benefit.
- The minimum age of the bride and groom to be 18 and 21 years to avail the benefit under the scheme.
Union Cabinet approves the sale of govt stake in five CPSEs
The government has approved the sale of its stake in five Central Public Sector Enterprises, CPSEs.
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, CCEA, gave its nod to strategic disinvestment in Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL), Shipping Corporation of India (SCI), Container Corporation of India (CONCOR), North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited (NEEPCO) and Tehri Hydro Development Corporation India Limited (THDC).
- The government will sell its 53.29 per cent stake in BPCL after taking out Numaligarh Refinery in Assam from its portfolio along with transfer of management control to a strategic buyer.
- The CCEA also approved the reduction of the government’s stake in select PSUs below 51 per cent, while retaining the management control.
RBI supersedes DHFL board, to initiate insolvency proceedings
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) superseded the board of Dewan Housing Finance Corporation Limited (DHFL) as it “intends to shortly” initiate the process of insolvency.
- In January, a web portal accused the DHFL promoters of committing financial frauds by creating shell companies.
- A total of 32 Indian and foreign banks lent Rs 97,000 crore to DHFL Group companies with many borrower companies having the same addresses, directors, and auditors.
- DHFL is the fourth-largest Indian housing finance company based on loans outstanding as of March.
Daily Current Affairs – Awards
Virat Kohli bags PETA India’s Person of the Year for 2019 award
India captain Virat Kohli was named People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) India’s ‘Person of the Year for 2019’ for his animal advocacy efforts.
- Kohli has regularly vouched for improvement of conditions of animals and he also sent a letter on Peta India’s behalf to officials for the release of Malti, an elephant used for rides at Amer Fort.
- The 31-year-old also reportedly visited an animal shelter in Bengaluru to check on injured and formerly neglected dogs there, sending a message to his fans to adopt animals rather than buying them.
- Past recipients of PETA India’s Person of the Year award include Congress leader Shashi Tharoor, former Supreme Court Justice KS Panicker Radhakrishnan, and actors Anushka Sharma, Hema Malini, R Madhavan, and Jacqueline Fernandez.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella tops Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year 2019 list
Microsoft’s India-born Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella has occupied the top spot in Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year 2019 list.
- The list also includes Mastercard CEO Ajay Banga and Arista head Jayshree Ullal.
- Fortune’s annual Businessperson of the Year list features 20 business leaders “who tackled audacious goals, overcame impossible odds, found creative solutions”.
- Banga is ranked 8th, while Ullal comes in at the 18th spot in the list for which Fortune looked at 10 financial factors ranging from a total return to shareholders to return on capital. Both Banga and Ullal are of Indian-origin.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
India-Pakistan Davis Cup tie shifted to Kazakhstan capital Nur-Sultan from Islamabad
India will travel to Nur-Sultan to take on Pakistan in the upcoming Davis Cup tie.
- The International Tennis Federation (ITF) has nominated the Kazakhstan capital to host the matches, ending days of uncertainty over the venue.
- The Davis cup tie will take place on 29th and 30th November in Nur-Sultan the capital of Kazakhstan.
- The tie was scheduled to be held in September but was pushed to November 29-30 after India expressed concerns about the safety of their players.
- The Davis Cup is the premier international team event in men’s tennis.
2020 Hockey Pro League: India’s home matches to be played at Bhubaneswar
Bhubaneswar will host India’s home matches during the 2020 Hockey Pro League.
- The International Hockey Federation (FIH) said the second edition of the Hockey Pro League will be played between 11th of January and 28th of June.
- Bhubaneswar has become a hockey hub in India and has been hosting a majority of tournaments, the most recent being the Olympic qualifiers.
- The Pro League will feature 144 matches in the coming season.
- Australia’s home matches will be played in Perth and Sydney, while England will be playing its share in London.
- The first match will feature the Netherlands and China on 11th of January at the Wujin Hockey Stadium in Changzhou.