GK Current Affairs Quiz 31st December 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease.
Q. When Dadasaheb Phalke Award was established?
Answer: (b) 1969
Explanation: Dadasaheb Phalke Award is India’s highest award in cinema. It is presented annually at the National Film Awards.
Q. How many submarines of Indian Navy are nuclear powered?
Answer: Option B
Explanation: Indian Navy plans to build 24 submarines 6 of them nuclear powered.
Q. Where was the HDFC Life Insurance headquarters located?
Answer: (b) 6
Explanation: HDFC Life Insurance partners with Paytm to expand its distribution. The headquarters of HDFC Life Insurance located at Mumbai.
Q. Who won CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Awards?
(a) Manish Pandey
(b) Anjum Chopra
(c) Navdeep Saini
(d) Shreyas Iyer
Answer: (b) Anjum Chopra
Explanation: Krish Srikkanth, Anjum Chopra to get CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Awards.
Q. SBI to Introduce OTP-based ATM Transactions For Withdrawal of Amounts Above ______________
(a) Rs 17, 000
(b) Rs 16, 000
(c) Rs 15, 000
(d) Rs 10, 000
Answer: (d) Rs 10, 000
Explanation: SBI to Introduce OTP-based ATM Transactions For Withdrawal of Amounts Above Rs 10,000.
Q. Who has been named as the most famous teenager in the world by the United Nations?
(a) Greta Thunberg
(b) Malala Yousafzai
(c) Millie Bobby Brown
(d) Storm Reid
Answer: (b) Malala Yousafzai
Explanation: Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai was declared as the ‘most famous teenager in the world’ by the United Nations in its ‘decade in review’ report released on December 23, 2019. The young education activist was shot in the head by a Taliban gunman while taking a bus from school in October 2012.
Q. When ‘Good Governance Day’ is observed in India every year?
(a) 20 December
(b) 12 December
(c) 25 December
(d) 15 December
Answer: (c) 25 December
Explanation: The Good Governance Day is observed annually across India on December 20th. The day is observed to commemorate the birthday of former Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. This day was first celebrated in the year 2014. Vajpayee is considered as one of the most influential leaders of Indian politics.
Q. Which state was ranked number-1 in the Good Governance Index released by the Central Government?
(b) Tamil Nadu
Answer: (c) Tamil Nadu
Explanation: Tamil Nadu was ranked at the top in the Good Governance Index released recently by the Central Government. The states and union territories were divided into three groups- large states, northeast and hill states & union territories in this index. Odisha, Bihar, Goa, Uttar Pradesh are among the worst-performing states.
Q. Which state recently announced the Jyotirao Phule Kisan Loan Waiver Scheme?
(a) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: (c) Maharashtra
Explanation: Jyotirao Phule Kisan loan waiver scheme for farmers has been launched by Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray. Farmers who have taken a loan of Rs 2 lakh can avail this scheme. This scheme will be implemented in Maharashtra from March 2020.
Q. Which film won the ‘Best Hindi Film’ award at the 66th National Film Awards?
(b) Badhai Ho
Answer: (a) Andhadhun
Explanation: Andhadhun won the National film Award in the ‘Best Hindi Film’ category at the 66th National Film Awards.
Q. Who won the National Film Award for ‘Best Direction’?
(a) Sanjay Leela Bhansali
(b) Sriram Raghavan
(c) Aditya Dhar
(d) Amit Sharma
Answer: (c) Aditya Dhar
Explanation: Aditya Dhar won the National Film Award for ‘Best Direction’ for his movie, Uri: The Surgical Strike.
Q. Who among the following Indian-origin Americans was recently appointed as the director of the National Science Foundation (NSF) of America?
(a) Rahul Sachdeva
(b) Pankaj Agnihotri
(c) Sethuraman Panchanathan
(d) Pramod Mistri
Answer: (c) Sethuraman Panchanathan
Explanation: Indian American Sethuraman Panchanathan was recently appointed as the director of the National Science Foundation (NSF) of America. US President Donald Trump has recently approved his assignment. The US government body National Science Foundation (NSF) assists research in all non-medical fields, including science and engineering.
Q. Manuel Marrero Cruz has been appointed as the Prime Minister of which nation?
Answer: (c) Cuba
Explanation: Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel has appointed Manuel Marrero Cruz as the new Prime Minister of the nation. Cruz earlier served as the tourism minister of the nation. The post of Prime Minister was abolished in Cuba in 1976 by Fidel Castro and was restored in 2019.
Q. Which Indian Air Force aircraft was decommissioned on December 27, 2019?
Answer: (b) MiG-27
Explanation: The MiG-27 fighter jet, known as the hero of the Kargil conflict, made its final roar from Jodhpur airbase on December 27, 2019.
Q. What is the name of common currency recently announced by western Africa?
Answer: (b) ECO
Explanation: Eight countries in West Africa have decided to change the name of their common currency to ‘Eco’. These countries also decided to leave the current currency ‘CFA franc’. Benin, Burkina Faso, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Togo in West Africa are currently using this currency.
Q. Which female weightlifter won a bronze medal and created two national records in the Qatar International Cup?
(a) Karnam Malleshwari
(b) Heena Khan
(c) Jigisha Patel
(d) Rakhi Halder
Answer: (d) Rakhi Halder
Explanation: Rakhi Halder is a Commonwealth gold medalist, who has set a national record by performing best in snatch and overall weight. She made this record by lifting a total of 218 kg with 95 kg in snatch and 123 kg in clean and jerk.
Q. Who was named captain of Cricket Australia’s ODI team of the decade?
(a) MS Dhoni
(b) Virat Kohli
(c) AB de Villiers
(d) Shakib al Hasan
Answer: (a) MS Dhoni
Explanation: MS Dhoni has been named the captain of Cricket Australia’s ODI team of the decade. Indian skipper Virat Kohli and opener Rohit Sharma were also named in the ODI team.
Q. Which Indian cricketer was named in the Wisden’s list of five cricketers of the decade?
(a) MS Dhoni
(b) Rohit Sharma
(c) Sachin Tendulkar
(d) Virat Kohli
Answer: (d) Virat Kohli
Explanation: Indian skipper Virat Kohli has found a place in the list of five cricketers of the decade by the Wisden Cricketers’ Almanac. Virat Kohli was named in the cricketers of the decade list along with four other cricketers Steve Smith, Ellyse Perry, Dale Steyn, and AB de Villiers.
Q. Who was named the captain of the Wisden Test team of the decade?
(a) Steve Smith
(b) Kumar Sangakkara
(c) Virat Kohli
(d) MS Dhoni
Answer: (c) Virat Kohli
Explanation: Virat Kohli was named as the captain of the Wisden Test team of the decade. The only other Indian to feature in the list includes Ravichandran Ashwin.
Q. Which tennis player has announced his decision to retire in 2020?
(a) Leander Paes
(b) Mahesh Bhupathi
(c) Sania Mirza
(d) Rohan Bopanna
Answer: (a) Leander Paes
Explanation: Leander Paes announced recently that he will quit professional tennis after the 2020 season. The 46-year-old has won 6 doubles and 10 mixed doubles Grand Slam titles.
Daily Current Affairs – International
Sri Lankan govt says Batticaloa airport to be developed as an international airport
Sri Lankan government has said that it will develop Batticaloa airport in eastern province as an international airport with Indian assistance.
- Minister of Tourism and aviation Prasanna Ranatunga said, the Indian government has extended its fullest cooperation to develop the domestic airport and it has been discussed with the Indian High Commissioner in Sri Lanka Taranjit Singh Sandhu recently.
- The Government of India would like to extend its air services to Batticaloa airport as well.
- Currently, airline services to India are available to Bandaranaike International Airport near Colombo and Jaffna international Airport in Tamil-majority north.
Daily Current Affairs National
India State of Forest Report, 2019
The total tree and forest cover in the country increased by 5,188 square kilometer in the last two years, said the India State of Forest Report 2019.
- The top three states in terms of forest cover are Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala.
- While Karnataka grew the maximum forest-and-tree cover at 1,025 sq km, Andhra Pradesh grew a 990-sq km cover and a 823-sq km of forest cover was created by Kerala in the last two years.
- The total forest cover of the country is 7,12,249 sq km which is 21.67% of the geographical area of the country.
- The tree cover of the country is estimated as 95,027 sq km which is 2.89% of the geographical area.
India improves Sustainable Development Goals Index score by three positions
India has improved its composite score from 57 in 2018 to 60 in the Sustainable Development Goals Index 2019-20.
- This has been achieved due to better work in water and sanitation, affordable and clean energy and industry, innovation, and infrastructure.
- Kerala achieved the first rank in the composite SDG Index with a score of 70, followed by Himachal Pradesh at 69.
- Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, and Tamil Nadu ranked at the third position with a score of 67.
- The states showing the biggest improvement since 2018 are Uttar Pradesh which has moved from the 29th position to the 23rd, Odisha from 23rd to 15th and Sikkim from 15th to 7th position.
Assam CM launches torch relay of Khelo India Youth Games
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has launched the torch relay of the Third Khelo India Youth Games.
- The games will be held in Guwahati from 10th to 22nd of next month.
- The officials of the competition are preparing a total of eight venues for the tournament and they are on track to make the Games one of the largest sporting spectacles of the country.
Daily Current Affairs – Business
HDFC Lifes partners with Paytm, to offer insurance through m-com platform
Life insurance company, HDFC Life, has announced its tie-up with Paytm.
- This partnership will enable Paytm customers to purchase life insurance products offered by HDFC Life, via the mobile commerce platform.
- The platform enables individuals to purchase life insurance in a quick and easy manner.
- In a few simple steps, Paytm customers can secure themselves and their families using HDFC Lifes innovative product offerings.
Finance Minister Sitharaman launches ‘eBkray’ auction platform for assets attached by banks
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched eBkray, an e-auction platform to enable online auction of attached assets by banks.
- The eBkray platform provides navigational links to all PSB e-auction sites, property search feature and presents single-window access to information on properties up for e-auction, comparison of similar properties, and also contains videos and photographs of the uploaded properties.
- Indian Banks Auctions Mortgaged Properties Information (IBAPI) portal is an initiative of Indian Banks Association (IBA) under the policy of the Department of Financial Services (DFS), Ministry of Finance.
Daily Current Affairs – Appointments
General Bipin Rawat named India’s first Chief of Defence Staff
General Bipin Rawat has been named the country’s first Chief of Defence Staff (CDS).
- General Rawat is the first officer to hold the post of the Chief of Defence Staff, which was set up recently.
- CDS will function as a single-point advisor to the government on matters related to the military and will focus on the better synergy between the Indian Army, Indian Air Force and the Indian Navy.
- General Rawat was appointed as the Chief of Army Staff on 31 December, 2016.
- The defence ministry had recently amended the army, air force and navy rules by bringing in a new clause that allows the Chief of Defence Staff to serve up to a maximum age of 65 years.
- The Union Cabinet had given its approval to create the post of Chief of Defence Staff in the rank of a four-star General with salary and benefits equivalent to a Service Chief
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
Mujeeb youngest bowler to take 100 T20 wickets
Afghanistan spinner Mujeeb Ur Rahman has become the youngest bowler in history to take 100 wickets in T20 cricket.
- Mujeeb achieved the feat at the age of 18 years and 271 days.
- He broke the record of Afghanistan all-rounder Rashid Khan, who had reached 100 T20 wickets at the age of 18 years and 360 days.
Daily Current Affairs – Deaths
‘World’s oldest rhino’ dies in Tanzania
A female black rhino, Fausta, who was believed to be the world’s oldest rhino has died at the age of 57 in a Tanzanian conservation area.
- Fausta died of natural causes in captivity in Ngorongoro Crater, which lies in Ngorongoro Conservation Area of Tanzania.
- The records showed that Fausta lived longer than any rhino in the world.
Nagaland Assembly Speaker passes away
Nagaland Legislative Assembly Speaker Vikho-o Yhoshü passed away.
- Yhoshü was diagnosed with lung cancer and was undergoing treatment in Mumbai.
- Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party leader Vikho-o Yhoshü, an alumnus of Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad, was elected as the Speaker of the 13th Nagaland Legislative Assembly in March last year.