GK Current Affairs Quiz 30th December 2019 with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease.
GK Current Affairs Quiz 29th December 2019
Q. Name the Veteran Political cartoonist who also worked as a staff cartoonist at various newspapers, including the Times of India and the Mid-day, passed away recently.
(a) R. K. Laxman
(b) K. Shankar Pillai
(c) Abu Abraham
(d) O. V. Vijayan
(e) Vikas Sabnis
Answer: (e) Vikas Sabnis
Veteran Political cartoonist Vikas Sabnis, who also worked as a staff cartoonist at various newspapers, including the Times of India and the Mid-day, passed away recently.
Q. The Reserve Bank of India has directed large cooperative banks to report all exposures of Rs 5 crore and more to the Central Repository of Information on Large Credits (CRILC) with effect from?
(a) February 29, 2020
(b) December 31, 2019
(c) January 31, 2020
(d) March 31, 2020
(e) May 31, 2020
Answer: (b) December 31, 2019
The Reserve Bank of India has directed large cooperative banks to report all exposures of Rs 5 crore and more to the Central Repository of Information on Large Credits (CRILC) with effect from December 31, 2019.
Q. Which country has successfully launched its largest carrier rocket “Long March-5”?
(c) North Korea
(e) South Korea
Answer: (d) China
China has successfully launched its largest carrier rocket “Long March-5”.
Q. The first edition of Mandu Festival begins at Mandu, picturesque fort city of?
(a) Uttar Pradesh
(c) Arunachal Pradesh
(d) Madhya Pradesh
(e) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: (d) Madhya Pradesh
The first edition of Mandu Festival begins at Mandu, picturesque fort city of Madhya Pradesh.
Q. Which country has deployed its 1st Avangard Hypersonic missile system with latest strategic missiles of intercontinental range?
Answer: (a) Russia
Russia deploys its 1st Avangard Hypersonic missile system with latest strategic missiles of intercontinental range.
Q. The Reserve Bank of India has directed large cooperative banks to report all exposures of ______ and more to the Central Repository of Information on Large Credits (CRILC).
(a) Rs 15 Crore
(b) Rs 10 Crore
(c) Rs 6 Crore
(d) Rs 5 Crore
(e) Rs 4 Crore
Answer: (d) Rs 5 Crore
The Reserve Bank of India has directed large cooperative banks to report all exposures of Rs 5 Crore and more to the Central Repository of Information on Large Credits (CRILC).
Q. Who has been named as the most famous teenager in the world by the United Nations?
(a) Greta Thunberg
(b) Malala Yousafzai
(c) Millie Bobby Brown
(d) Storm Reid
Answer: (b) Malala Yousafzai
Explanation:Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai was declared as the ‘most famous teenager in the world’ by the United Nations in its ‘decade in review’ report released on December 23, 2019. The young education activist was shot in the head by a Taliban gunman while taking a bus from school in October 2012.
Q. When ‘Good Governance Day’ is observed in India every year?
(a) 20 December
(b) 12 December
(c) 25 December
(d) 15 December
Answer: (c) 25 December
Explanation:The Good Governance Day is observed annually across India on December 20th. The day is observed to commemorate the birthday of former Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee. This day was first celebrated in the year 2014. Vajpayee is considered as one of the most influential leaders of Indian politics.
Q. Which state was ranked number-1 in the Good Governance Index released by the Central Government?
(b) Tamil Nadu
Answer: (c) Tamil Nadu
Explanation:Tamil Nadu was ranked at the top in the Good Governance Index released recently by the Central Government. The states and union territories were divided into three groups- large states, northeast and hill states & union territories in this index. Odisha, Bihar, Goa, Uttar Pradesh are among the worst-performing states.
Q. Which state recently announced the Jyotirao Phule Kisan Loan Waiver Scheme?
(a) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: (c) Maharashtra
Explanation:Jyotirao Phule Kisan loan waiver scheme for farmers has been launched by Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray. Farmers who have taken a loan of Rs 2 lakh can avail this scheme. This scheme will be implemented in Maharashtra from March 2020.
Q. Which film won the ‘Best Hindi Film’ award at the 66th National Film Awards?
(b) Badhai Ho
Answer: (a) Andhadhun
Explanation:Andhadhun won the National film Award in the ‘Best Hindi Film’ category at the 66th National Film Awards.
Q. Who won the National Film Award for ‘Best Direction’?
(a) Sanjay Leela Bhansali
(b) Sriram Raghavan
(c) Aditya Dhar
(d) Amit Sharma
Answer: (c) Aditya Dhar
Explanation:Aditya Dhar won the National Film Award for ‘Best Direction’ for his movie, Uri: The Surgical Strike.
Q. Who among the following Indian-origin Americans was recently appointed as the director of the National Science Foundation (NSF) of America?
(a) Rahul Sachdeva
(b) Pankaj Agnihotri
(c) Sethuraman Panchanathan
(d) Pramod Mistri
Answer: (c) Sethuraman Panchanathan
Explanation:Indian American Sethuraman Panchanathan was recently appointed as the director of the National Science Foundation (NSF) of America. US President Donald Trump has recently approved his assignment. The US government body National Science Foundation (NSF) assists research in all non-medical fields, including science and engineering.
Q. Noted Economist and Political Analyst S Gurumurthy released a book titled “Politics of Opportunism: Regional Parties, Coalitions, Centre-State Relations In India”. The book is authored by?
(a) Arundhati Roy
(b) Vikram Seth
(c) Salman Rushdie
(d) Chetan Bhagat
(e) R P N Singh
Answer: (e) R P N Singh
Noted Economist and Political Analyst S Gurumurthy released a book titled “Politics of Opportunism: Regional Parties, Coalitions, Centre-State Relations In India”. The book is authored by R P N Singh.
Q. ____________ has organized the National Symposium of Poets 2020.
(a) All India Radio
(b) Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
(c) Ministry of Communications
(d) Ministry of Human Resource Development
(e) Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
Answer: (a) All India Radio
All India Radio organized the National Symposium of Poets 2020.
Q. Name the mobile app recently launched by Raksha Mantri for the forthcoming DefExpo 2020.
(a) DefSpeaker 2020
(b) DefSeminar 2020
(c) DefExpo 2020
(d) DefWebinar 2020
(e) DefApp 2020
Answer: (c) DefExpo 2020
Raksha Mantri has launched the “DefExpo 2020” mobile app of the forthcoming DefExpo 2020.
Q. Manuel Marrero Cruz has been appointed as the Prime Minister of which nation?
Answer: (c) Cuba
Explanation:Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel has appointed Manuel Marrero Cruz as the new Prime Minister of the nation. Cruz earlier served as the tourism minister of the nation. The post of Prime Minister was abolished in Cuba in 1976 by Fidel Castro and was restored in 2019.
Q. Which Indian Air Force aircraft was decommissioned on December 27, 2019?
Answer: (b) MiG-27
Explanation:The MiG-27 fighter jet, known as the hero of the Kargil conflict, made its final roar from Jodhpur airbase on December 27, 2019.
Q. What is the name of common currency recently announced by western Africa?
Answer: (b) ECO
Explanation:Eight countries in West Africa have decided to change the name of their common currency to ‘Eco’. These countries also decided to leave the current currency ‘CFA franc’. Benin, Burkina Faso, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Mali, Niger, Senegal and Togo in West Africa are currently using this currency.
Q. Which female weightlifter won a bronze medal and created two national records in the Qatar International Cup?
(a) Karnam Malleshwari
(b) Heena Khan
(c) Jigisha Patel
(d) Rakhi Halder
Answer: (d) Rakhi Halder
Explanation:Rakhi Halder is a Commonwealth gold medalist, who has set a national record by performing best in snatch and overall weight. She made this record by lifting a total of 218 kg with 95 kg in snatch and 123 kg in clean and jerk.
Q. Who was named captain of Cricket Australia’s ODI team of the decade?
(a) MS Dhoni
(b) Virat Kohli
(c) AB de Villiers
(d) Shakib al Hasan
Answer: (a) MS Dhoni
Explanation:MS Dhoni has been named the captain of Cricket Australia’s ODI team of the decade. Indian skipper Virat Kohli and opener Rohit Sharma were also named in the ODI team.
Q. Which Indian cricketer was named in the Wisden’s list of five cricketers of the decade?
(a) MS Dhoni
(b) Rohit Sharma
(c) Sachin Tendulkar
(d) Virat Kohli
Answer: (d) Virat Kohli
Explanation:Indian skipper Virat Kohli has found a place in the list of five cricketers of the decade by the Wisden Cricketers’ Almanac. Virat Kohli was named in the cricketers of the decade list along with four other cricketers Steve Smith, Ellyse Perry, Dale Steyn and AB de Villiers.
Q. Who was named the captain of the Wisden Test team of the decade?
(a) Steve Smith
(b) Kumar Sangakkara
(c) Virat Kohli
(d) MS Dhoni
Answer: (c) Virat Kohli
Explanation:Virat Kohli was named as the captain of the Wisden Test team of the decade. The only other Indian to feature in the list includes Ravichandran Ashwin.
Q. Which tennis player has announced his decision to retire in 2020?
(a) Leander Paes
(b) Mahesh Bhupathi
(c) Sania Mirza
(d) Rohan Bopanna
Answer: (a) Leander Paes
Explanation:Leander Paes announced recently that he will quit professional tennis after the 2020 season. The 46-year-old has won 6 doubles and 10 mixed doubles Grand Slam titles.
Daily Current Affairs – International
Astronaut Christina Koch creates a record for longest single spaceflight by a woman
NASA Astronaut Christina Koch creates a record for the longest single spaceflight by a woman, surpassing the earlier record of 288 days in space.
- When she arrives back on Earth in February 2020, she will spent more than 300 days in space.
- She is onboard the International Space Station since 14th March 2019.
China successfully launches largest carrier rocket
China has successfully launched the largest carrier rocket of the country, Long March-5, from Wenchang Space Launch Center in south China’s Hainan Province.
- The rocket, also known as CZ-5, blasted off with more than 1,000 tonnes of thrust.
- The Chinese space authorities declared the mission a “complete success” just over half an hour after the lift-off when the Shijian-20 satellite it carried entered its designated orbit.
- It is the country’s third attempt to launch the rocket.
- The first attempt was made in 2016.
New Russian weapon can travel 27 times the speed of sound
Russia has operationalised a new intercontinental hypersonic weapon that can fly 27 times the speed of sound.
- Russia’s defence minister Sergei Shoigu informed President Vladimir Putin that the first missile unit equipped with the Avangard hypersonic glide vehicle entered combat duty.
- The Avangard is launched atop an intercontinental ballistic missile, which is capable of sharp manoeuvres in the atmosphere en route to target making it much harder to intercept.
- Avangard is designed using new composite materials to withstand temperatures up to 2,000 degree Celsius.
- It carries a nuclear weapon of up to 2 megatons.
Daily Current Affairs – National
Rajnath Singh launches the mobile app of forthcoming DefExpo 2020
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh launched the mobile app of the forthcoming DefExpo 2020 to be held in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- The app provides detailed information about the day-to-day events, participating exhibitors, guest speakers of seminars, maps and directions of the venues.
- Mr Singh also reviewed the preparations of DefExpo.
- A record number of over 880 exhibitors, including foreign companies, have registered so far.
- Dozens of MoUs are also expected to be inked during the Expo.
JMM leader Hemant Soren took oath as Jharkhand CM
JMM leader Hemant Soren took oath as the 11th Chief Minister of Jharkhand.
- Governor Draupadi Murmu administered him the oath of office and secrecy at Morhabadi ground in Ranchi.
- Two Congress leaders Rameshwar Oraon and Alamgir Alam are also likely to take oath as Ministers.
- Grand Alliance comprising JMM, Congress and RJD bagged 47 seats in the 81-member Jharkhand Assembly polls.
Mandu Festival starts in Mandu, Madhya Pradesh
In Madhya Pradesh, the 5-day Mandu festival has been started in Mandu, a world-famous picturesque tourist destination located in Dhar district of the state.
- The Mandu festival, which will run till January 1, will see the amalgamation of cultural activities as well as adventure sports.
- The rich classical and traditional folk arts of dance, singing and playing will once again come alive through the Mandu festival.
- Based on the idea of Khojne Me Kho Jao, the Mandu festival is offering an eclectic mix of performing arts, workshops, nature trails, food, architecture and music to the visitors.
Daily Current Affairs – Awards
Amitabh Bachchan honoured with Dada Saheb Phalke award
Veteran actor Amitabh Bachchan received Dadasaheb Phalke award for his outstanding contribution to the film industry.
- President Ram Nath Kovind gave away the award in New Delhi.
- The award, named after the father of Indian cinema, Dhundiraj Govind Phalke, was instituted in 1969.
- The award is conferred by the government for outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian Cinema.
- It consists of a Swarn Kamal and a cash prize of ten lakh rupees.
Daily Current Affairs – Deaths
Veteran Political cartoonist Vikas Sabnis passes away
Veteran Political cartoonist Vikas Sabnis passed away due to cardiac arrest.
- He was unwell and undergoing treatment since last few days.
- He had completed 50 years of an illustrious career in 2018.
- Inspired by Bal Thackeray and RK Laxman, he had started his career in 1968.
- Since then, for over 50 years, Sabnis has worked as a staff cartoonist at various newspapers, including The Times of India and the Mid-day.
- He made caricatures and political cartoons on various subjects and issues.
- These ranges from local to international levels.
Vishwesha Theertha Swami of Pejawar Mutt passes away in Karnataka
Vishwesha Theertha Swami of Pejawar mutt passed away in the coastal town of Udupi in Karnataka.
- Swamiji is the 32nd in the lineage of Pejawar Mutt following Vishvamanya Tirtha.
- Known for philanthropic work, the Swamiji had opened several hostels, hospitals and schools benefitting the poor.