The last date to link PAN with Aadhaar card is 31st March, 2022, after which the user must pay a penalty of Rs. 500 for the first three months and Rs. 1000 thereafter. This means that anyone who links PAN with Aadhaar card between April 1st, 2022 and June 30th, 2022 will be subject to Rs. 500 penalty. Similarly, if the PAN Aadhaar card is linked after June 30, 2022, the individual must pay a penalty of Rs. 1000.
In this blog, we will discuss how to link the Aadhaar card and PAN card in various ways.
There are two ways to link PAN card to the Aadhaar card. A user can opt for any of the following ways to link PAN to Aadhaar-
- Link PAN to Aadhaar card through e-filing website
- Link PAN to Aadhaar card by sending an SMS
Following are the steps to link PAN to Aadhaar card-
- Visit the official Income Tax Department e-filing website
- Click on ‘Link Aadhaar’
- Enter all the details
- Tick the box if your date of birth is mentioned in the Aadhaar card
- Now, tick the next box and enter the captcha code
- Click on ‘Link Aadhaar’
- You will be notified of successful Aadhaar linked with PAN Card
A user can link PAN to an Aadhaar card by following the below steps-
- Type an SMS in the given format- ‘UIDPAN<12 Digit AADHAAR number><10 digits PAN Number>
- Send a message from your registered mobile number to 567678 or 56161
If a user’s name is misspelt in either the PAN card or the Aadhaar card, he or she may be unable to link his or her Aadhaar card to a PAN card.
In this case, the user must first correct the spelling before linking the Aadhaar card to the PAN Card. The steps to be taken are as follows:
How to Correct Name in PAN Card?
A user is required to follow the steps given below-
- Visit the official e-filing website of NSDL
- Click on ‘Changes or Correction in PAN Data’ under the section ‘Application Type’
- Select the category ‘Individual’ and enter the details
- Write captcha code and click on ‘Submit’
- The updated PAN Card will be sent to the user’s given address
How to Correct Name in Aadhaar Card?
Follow the steps below to correct a misspelt name on your Aadhaar card.
- Visit the official Aadhaar Enrolment Centre
- Carry all the required documents
- Fill the Aadhaar enrolment form
- Submit the form and required documents to the concerned official
- An acknowledgement slip (with the updated request number) will be provided upon submission
- This URN can also be used to determine the status of the update request
Below are the steps to check PAN Aadhaar linking status–
- Visit the official e-filing website of the Income Tax Department
- Enter PAN number and Aadhaar number
- Click on ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’
What is the last date to link the Aadhaar card to the PAN card?
The last date to link the Aadhaar Card to PAN Card is 31st March 2022.
How much do I need to pay if I forget to link the Aadhaar card to the PAN Card?
The Government of India has levied a penalty of Rs. 500 for first 3 months and Rs. 1000 thereafter if one fails to link the Aadhaar card to the PAN card.
How long does the Aadhaar database OTP remain valid?
The OTP remains valid for 15 minutes from the time it is generated.
Do I need to submit any other documents to link Aadhaar to my PAN card?
No, you don’t need to submit additional documents to link Aadhaar to your PAN card.