Why You Should Go Bananas about Bananas
The regular bananas that we eat today was derived by man in the prehistoric times from wild bananas which grew in the regions stretching from India to New Guinea. They are now grown in all parts of the tropics. Banana is an excellent fruit for the health for all age groups. It is also a very versatile fruit used in many varied forms. Listed below are the some of the benefits of this wonderful fruit.
- It is high in nutritive value and fibre. The fibre present in the fruit plays a vital role in bowel movement and prevents constipation.
- It helps lower bad choIestero (LDL) and glucose levels.
- Banana is a good source of potassium, which helps keep blood pressure in the normal range.
- Banana prevents bone loss. And it contains calcium which is needed for growth and bone development.
- The fruit is a good source of vitamin A which has antioxidant properties that protects cells from free radical cell damage and improves vision naturally.
- Banana reduces the absorption of vitamin A through the gut it a child is suffering from infections like diarrhoea, measles, respiratory and parasitic infections.
- Contains magnesium which is important for smooth muscle movement and to relieve muscle cramps. It also acts as an activator of a few enzymes that are required for energy metabolism and protein production.
- Banana also contains B 6 vitamin which helps in the making of essential antibodies. These antibodies in turn help fight many diseases. It also helps maintain normal nerve function.
- Bananas are extensively used for desserts and added in many sweet dishes because of their high sugar content of 17-19 percent.
- Banana is also used in Indian confections like ‘Panchamrutham,’ sugar coated chips, toffee, jams, and jellies.
- Raw bananas are used for cooking too as they have higher starch content and lower sugar content than the bananas put in desserts.
- A banana daily can help a person lose weight, as the fibre it contains, slows digestion.
- It can also be used for weight gain. Two bananas daily, help in increasing weight.
- Bananas help prevent fatigue and tiredness.
- 100 grams of bananas contains calories 11 7kcal, protein – 1.2 grams and fat – 0.3 grams.
|Banana Milk Shake
Duration – 10 minutes
Serving size – 2