Health And Nutrition From White Meat
Meats are of two types – red and white. And both these types of meat are identified by their colour. White meat includes chicken, fish, and turkey. And among these, chicken and fish are the most commonly consumed white meats in the country.
Nourishment From Chicken
Builds Muscles: This white meat is low in fat but rich in proteins. Those who want to build muscle and add bulk should eat a lot of boiled chicken.
Keeps Bones Healthy: The phosphorus and calcium content in chicken keeps bones healthy. Therefore, it is especially good for women who are prone to weak bones.
Keeps The Heart Healthy: Though chicken has cholesterol, it also has niacin which helps lower cholesterol. So, if you pick lean pieces of chicken and eat them without adding oil or butter, it is healthy for the heart,
Helps Children Grow: Chicken is a one of the best foods for growing children as it has a lot of amino acids that helps the child grow tall and strong.
Reduces Risk Of Arthritis: Chicken is rich in selenium and this mineral cuts the risk of developing arthritis later on in life.
Relieves Stress: Chicken has vitamin B5 or pantothenic acid which has a calming effect on the nerves. So, if you are stressed out, grilled chicken is the best remedy.
Soothes PMS Symptoms: The magnesium in chicken helps one cope with pre-menstrual stress. The magnesium levels in the blood get reduced just before the start of a period. Eating chicken helps compensate for this.
Tip: As long as chicken is cooked in proper manner, it is full of health benefits. Always clean the chicken with lemon juice, vinegar and hot water properly before using it. This meat can be baked, grilled, boiled, barbe qued and even used put in a tandoor.
Nourishment From Fish
- Not many foods are as nutrient rich as fish. Most types of fish like salmon, sardines, mackerel, tuna and trout are good and have high quality proteins, various vitamins, iodine and minerals.
- Fish is also rich in fat-soluble vitamin D – a nutrient that most people are deficient in. Fatty fish like salmon and herring contain the highest amounts of this vitamin. Other items like cod liver oil are also rich in vitamin D and a single table spoon a day is recommended by specialists. Fish also functions like a steroid hormone in the body.
- Fatty fish have high quantities of omega 3 fatty acids which maintain brain and body functions and reduce the risk of diseases. Eating fatty fish twice a week is enough to meet the recommended levels of omega 3 in order to reduce the risk of heart attacks.
- Nutrients present in fish like omega 3 fatty acids play a crucial role in the development and growth of the body.
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) a fatty acid, is especially important, as it is helps in the proper development of the eyes and brain. Therefore, nursing mothers and pregnant women are often urged to eat foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids like trout. However, raw fish should be avoided because it contains microorganisms that can harm the foetus.
- Fish protects the brain from age related deterioration. It also fights against serious neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease by slowing down cognitive decline. It also increases grey matter in the brain which is the most important functional tissue that contains neurons that make us human.