Health and Longevity with Okra
The vegetable popularly known as lady’s finger is a small, long green vegetable that resembles a lady’s finger. It ¡s also known as okra. This green vegetable is packed with lots of beneficial nutrients and is tender in texture and mucilaginous ¡n touch. In India, it is called bhindi and ¡s very popular in the kitchen. Lady’s finger contains high amount of fibre including both soluble and insoluble ones. And since it has many nutritional benefits it is used ¡n many therapeutic recipes. So, whether consumed cooked or raw, okra benefits one in numerous ways.
Nutritional Facts (Per 100 Grams Of Okra)
- 33 kilo calories
- 2 grams of protein
- 7.05 grams carbohydrates
- 0.1 grams fat
- 9 grams fibre
This vegetable’s high fibre content makes it very beneficial for the body. Okra ¡s also packed with some of the most important vitamins and minerals necessary for the body. Vitamins present in this green vegetable include vitamin K, vitamin C, niacin, vitamin E and vitamin K. Minerals like copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc are also present. It is fat free, cholesterol free, starch free and contains a negligible amount of sugar which makes ¡t an ideal diet food.
Health Benefits of Okra
- Helps Control Diabetes: Okra helps stabilize blood sugar levels by regulating the rate of absorption of sugar from the digestive tract with the help of the high fibres present in this vegetable. Its high fibre content makes t a wonderful vegetable for diabetics. It enhances the production of insulin and thereby helps in the regeneration of beta cells of the pancreas to increase insulin production.
- Good For The Heart: Okra contains pectin which is a soluble fibre and has the ability to lower cholesterol levels and prevent heart diseases. Risk of blocking of arteries can also be reduced by regular consumption of lady’s finger as it has polyphenols which is an antioxidant that is good for the heart.
- Helps Lose Weight: This green vegetable ¡s extremely low in calories with only 33 kilo calories per 100gms, making it an ideal food for those who want to shed extra kilos.
- Boosts Immunity: Okra has high amounts of vitamin C which almost meets our daily requirement of the vitamin. Vitamin C helps boost our immunity and builds resistance against many infections and diseases.
- Good For The Brain: Folate and vitamin B 9 are two of the most important vitamins essential for good functioning of the brain. Lady’s finger is packed with these nutrients.
- Reduces Risk Of Cancer: It has a higher concentration of antioxidants which prevent the damage of cells from free radicals and also reduces the growth of cancerous cells in the body. Its high fibre content also lowers the risk of colorectal cancer as well.
- Good For Babies: Neurological birth detects in new born children can also be reduced by the consumption of lady’s finger as it has nutrients like folic acid and vitamin B9 which are essential for nerve development.
Tips To Reduce Sliminess of Okra
- Soak the okra in vinegar or lemon water before using it to minimize slime.
- Blanch the vegetable for three-four minutes and then add it to the dish, when it ¡s almost cooked.
- Fry the vegetable in some oil and when it is fried properly, add salt and pepper.