Priceless Little Nut!
The edible seeds of pines, pine nuts are also known as pignoli or chilgoza. And though the word ‘nuts’ may instil in us an immediate fear of calories and subsequent weight gain, pine nuts may actually hold the secret to weight loss! However, we are too scared to even consider nuts as an option for snacking or to think about adding them to our daily diet.But here’s why you should drop your worries and pop this nut.
- Monounsaturated fatty acid named oleic acid is present in pine nuts and it is helpful in lowering bad cholesterol (LDL) and increasing the good one (HDL)
- It is beneficial in maintaining a healthy lipid profile and helps prevent chances of stroke
- The presence of vitamin A and lutein help in improving vision
- Vitamin E is an excellent source of antioxidants and its presence in pine nuts helps to prevent free radical damage
- Pine nuts are also a rich source of potassium and calcium and also manganese which is a co-factor for enzyme superoxide dismutase
- Pine nut oil can keep the skin glowing and can also protect the skin
- Pine nuts are a good source of iron and are helpful for the circulatory system
- It increases the satiety value
- Gets rid of free radicals and indirectly helps in preventing cancer
- Pine nuts are a good source of vitamin B complex and helps prevent pernicious anaemia
Simple Serving Methods
- Take one bowl of vegetable salad with cucumber, onions, carrots tomato etc. and sprinkle pine nuts over it. It serves as a healthy snack
- Eat mixed fruit salad with sprinkled pine nuts for breakfast
- Children can be fed pine nuts with desserts and ice cream
- Pine nuts in pasta is a good snack for school going children
The metabolic rate can be enhanced by munching on some roasted pine nuts.
Some Secret Tips
Pine nuts help trigger the release of two enzymes that is cholecystokinin and glucagon like peptide-1 (GLP-1) which are hunger suppressant enzymes. Those can indirectly help in curbing the appetite and is useful for weight loss.
If you feel tired after a stressful work schedule, munch on some pine nuts to boost your energy levels.
|Nutrients||Amount (100 gms)|