GK Current Affairs Quiz October 19th, 2019: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease. Instantly obtain Latest Daily Current Affairs with all essential info, Be the first to know all the Today Current affairs 19 October 2019 top news, Major Issues, Current News, Important events in National Current News as well as International level with clear explanation.
GK or General Awareness section can be the easiest section in all government, banking, SSC, railways exams when followed regularly. Aspirants of competitive exams such as IBPS, UPSC, SSC, SSC CPO, SSC CGL, Bank PO, Bank Clerk, IBPS, Railways, Government Jobs, UPPSC, MPSC, APPSC, TSPSC, SI, Constables etc can refer to the general knowledge questions and answers daily from this series of articles.
GK Current Affairs Quiz October 19, 2019
Q. The first graduate-level and research-based Artificial Intelligence (AI) university in the world was announced established in _____.
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – A. UAE
Explanation: The university will offer Master of Science (MSc) and PhD level programs. By 2030, AI is expected to contribute $16 trillion to the global economy, according to Price water house Coopers.
Q. Which bank was authorised to issue and encash electoral bonds through its 29 authorised branches with effect from October 1 to October 10?
(c) Bank of Baroda
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – A. SBI
• Electoral bonds have been introduced to promote transparency in funding and donations
These bonds will allow donors to pay political parties using banks
• The electoral bond will not carry the name of the payee
Q. Lead Bank Scheme (LBS), sometimes seen in the news, was introduced on the basis of recommendations of _________.
(a) DR Gadgil Study Group
(b) Abid Hussian Committee
(c) Bhurelal Commission
(d) Abhijit Sen Study Group
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – A. DR Gadgil Study Group
Explanation: LBS was introduced in 1969. Each district was assigned to one bank. It is worth mentioning that Gadgil group also pioneered the idea of providing social banking. In 2018, The lead bank scheme of the RBI was made to apply to metros also, to address the problem of financial exclusion.
Q. International Coffee Organization (ICO) is organizing its 5th Edition of World Coffee Conference to be held in _______.
(b) North Korea
(d) Sri Lanka
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – A. India
Explanation: Approximately 2.5 billion cups of coffee are consumed every single day. India is the 6th largest producer of coffee in the world (5% of world coffee production). The theme of the Conference will be Brewing Sustainable Solutions.
Q. Railways Minister Piyush Goyal recently flagged off nine trains connecting small towns to major cities. Name this particular category of trains.
(a) Sewa Service
(b) Grameen Rail
(c) Rurban Sewa
(d) Vande Bharat
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – A. Sewa Service
Explanation: Tamil Nadu is the biggest beneficiary in the first set of launches. The flagging off of the Kota-Jhalawar City train has been postponed. The ‘Sewa service’ initiative aims for better connectivity between smaller towns and important cities.
Q. India has ranked ____ among the 128 countries surveyed by the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) in its World Giving Index.
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – C. 82
Explanation: The study surveyed 1.3 million people in 128 countries over a decade. According to the World Giving Index, in India:
34 per cent people helped a stranger
24 per cent donated money
19 per cent volunteered or donated their time
But this position may not be representing the complete picture as giving culture remains informal & unorganized.
Q. Vahli Dikri Yojana, sometimes seen in the news, is a scheme by which among the following states?
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – C. Gujarat
Explanation: The state government, under this scheme, grants a subsidy of INR 1,10,000 on birth of the first girl child. This scheme aims to reduce the child mortality rate and eliminate child marriage cases in society.
Q. Mastercard, along with cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni, has announced the launch of a nationwide initiative called _________.
(a) Team Cashless India
(b) PAiSA Portal
(c) Bharat Payments
(d) User Bharat
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – A. Team Cashless India
Explanation: This initiative aims to increase the acceptance and adoption of digital payments among merchants. Currently do not accept digital payments. Mastercard will work together with other stakeholders to support nominated merchants to deploy digital payments acceptance infrastructure.
Q. Which among the following launched “KayPay”, a Fund Transfer service for Facebook users?
(a) Dena Bank
(b) Yes Bank
(c) Axis Bank
(d) Kotak Mahindra Bank
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – D. Kotak Mahindra Bank
Explanation: Kotak Mahindra Bank has set a limit of Rs 2,500 per transaction. It is bank’s agnostic payment product for Facebook users to send money to each other.
Q. India recently handed over the second pair of Mi-24V helicopters to which among the following countries?
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – B. Afghanistan
Explanation: These helicopters will boost the capability of the Afghan forces. Reportedly, these are meant as replacement for 4 helicopters that had earlier been gifted by India. In addition to this, India will be sending a consignment of 75000 MT (metric tonnes) of wheat to Afghanistan in November 2019.
Q. Pema Khandu has undertaken a 122 km motorcycle ride to promote tourism in the state. He is presently the CM of which among the following states?
(b) Arunachal Pradesh
(d) Uttar Pradesh
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – B. Arunachal Pradesh
Explanation: To promote the state as a destination for long-distance motorcycle rides, Khandu rode from Upper Siang district to East Siang district. Pema Khandu took oath as the 10th chief minister of Arunachal Pradesh in May 2019.
Q. Who received the 2018/19 Golden Shoe recently, the sixth of his career and the third consecutively?
(a) Cristiano Ronaldo
(b) Lionel Messi
(c) Luis Suarez
(d) Kylian Mbappe
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – B. Lionel Messi
Explanation: Messi became the first player to win the accolade for three successive years. Notably, this award is given to the player who scores the most league goals across Europe’s top divisions.
Q. Which actress rapidly set a new record for the fastest time to reach one million followers in just 5 hours and 16 minutes on Instagram?
(a) Kate Hudson
(b) Ellen Degeneres
(c) Jennifer Aniston
(d) Neil Vorderman
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – C. Jennifer Aniston
Explanation: Aniston joined the social media platform on Tuesday. The previous record holders – Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, whose joint account made this record in 5 hours and 45 minutes.
Q. Which of the following state celebrates Shirui Lily Festival?
(c) Arunachal Pradesh
Explaination: Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism and Culture Prahlad Singh Patel inaugurated Shirui Lily Festival, 2019 at Shirui Vangayan Ground of Ukhrul in Manipur.
Q. Who among the football player received his 6th Golden Shoe as the top scorer in the European leagues?
(a) Neymar Da Silva Santos
(b) Zlatan Ibrahimovic
(c) Andres Iniesta
(d) Cristiano Ronaldo
(e) Leo Messi
Explaination: Barcelona captain Leo Messi received his 6th Golden Shoe as the top scorer in the European leagues.
Q. How many agreements have been signed between China and Nepal during a bilateral meeting?
Answer: (c) 20
Explaination: The president of China Xi Jinping recently visited Nepal and signed 20 agreements for the development for the country. Nepal and China agreed to build a network worth Rs. 2.75 crore to connect Nepal with China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
Q. Which state is celebrating Shirui Lily Festival 2019?
d. Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: (a) Manipur
Explaination: The annual Shirui Lily Festival 2019 is being organized at Ukhrul in Manipur. This four-day state festival was inaugurated by Union Tourism Minister Prahlad Singh Patel. Folk songs and folk dances are performed by different communities in the festival.
Q. Union Minister for Road Transport Nitin Gadkari recently announced the construction of new National Highway NH- 703AA connecting Gobindwal Sahib and Taran Tarana in Punjab. The Road is named after which Guru?
a. Guru Nanak Dev
b. Swami Vivekananda
c. Guru Ram Das
d. Guru Tegh Bahadur
Answer: (a) Guru Nanak Dev
Explaination: Nitin Gadkari, Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, announced the construction of new National Highway NH- 703AA starting from Kapurthala and ending at Taran Tarana in Punjab. The highway is named as ‘Shri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Marg’ to mark 550th Birth Anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev.
Q. India’s longest Tunnel Chenani- Nashri on NH 44, in _______________ will be named after Bhartiya Jansangh Founder Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee.
(a) Andhra Pradesh
(c) Jammu and Kashmir
Explaination: India’s longest Tunnel Chenani- Nashri on NH 44, in Jammu and Kashmir will be named after Bhartiya Jansangh Founder Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee.
Q. The 17-year-old Mumbai teenager_______________ make history as he became the youngest cricketer in the world to score a double century in One Day cricket.
(a) Ayush Jethwa
(b) Aman Tiwari
(c) Aayush Zimare
(d) Yashasvi Jaiswal
(e) Bhargav Patil
Explaination: The 17-year-old Mumbai teenager Yashasvi Jaiswal make history as he became the youngest cricketer in the world to score a double century in One Day cricket.
Q. Which of the following day is observed as United Nations International Day for the Eradication of Poverty?
(a) 15 October
(b) 19 October
(c) 18 October
(d) 16 October
(e) 17 October
Explaination: The United Nations’ (UN) International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed on October 17 each year since 1993.
Q. Textiles Secretary, Ravi Capoor, inaugurated the ______________ of the Indian Handicrafts and Gifts Fair (IHGF) at the India Expo Centre & Mart at Greater Noida.
(a) 48th edition
(b) 47th edition
(c) 46th edition
(d) 45th edition
(e) 44th edition
Explaination: Textiles Secretary, Ravi Capoor, inaugurated the 48th edition of the Indian Handicrafts and Gifts Fair (IHGF) at the India Expo Centre & Mart at Greater Noida.
Q. Which of the following country announced the establishment of the Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence( MBZUAI)?
(a) Saudi Arabia
Explaination: UAE announced the establishment of the Mohamed bin Zayed University of Artificial Intelligence( MBZUAI) in Abu Dhabi.
Q. What is the theme of Indian Handicrafts and Gifts Fair (IHGF) 2019?
(a) Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
(b) Reuse, Reduce, Recycle
(c) Reduce, Recycle, Reuse
(d) Recycle, Reduce, Reuse
(e) Reuse, Recycle, Reduce
Explaination: Textiles Secretary, Ravi Capoor, inaugurated the 48th edition of the Indian Handicrafts and Gifts Fair (IHGF) at the India Expo Centre & Mart at Greater Noida. The theme of IHGF-Delhi Fair 2019: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.
Q. What is the theme of International Day for the Eradication of Poverty 2019?
(a) Building a sustainable future: Coming together to end poverty and discrimination
(b) Coming together with those furthest behind to build an inclusive world of universal respect for human rights and dignity
(c) Acting Together to Empower Children, their Families and Communities to End Poverty
(d) Answering the Call of October 17 to end poverty: A path toward peaceful and inclusive societies
(e) Ending poverty in all its forms
Explaination: The United Nations’ (UN) International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed on October 17 and the theme of 2019 edition is “Acting Together to Empower Children, their Families and Communities to End Poverty”.
Q. What is the length of India’s longest Tunnel Chenani- Nashri on NH 44, in Jammu and Kashmir?
(a) 11.3 km
(b) 9.2 km
(c) 6.5 km
(d) 7.2 km
(e) 8.6 km
Explaination: Chenani- Nashri Tunnel on NH 44, in Jammu and Kashmir. It is India’s longest road tunnel with a length of 9.2 km.
Q. India’s livestock population has increased to over 535 million showing an increase of ______ over Livestock Census-2012.
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – A. 4.6%
Explanation: The 20th Livestock Census report was released by the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying. Uttar Pradesh has the highest number of livestock of 67.8 million, followed by Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh & West Bengal, among the states. Notably, the Rashtriya Gokul Mission also aims to promote indigenous breeds.
Q. Who recently assumed charge as the new Controller General of Accounts, Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure?
(a) Alka Sirohi
(b) Manohar Khatri
(c) JPS Chawla
(d) Neha Bharti
(e) None of these
Correct Answer – C. JPS Chawla
Explaination: Explanation: Chawla is a 1985-batch Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) Officer. He was instrumental in the finalisation of the accounting procedure of GST Network. He also served as Principal Chief Controller of Accounts, Central Board of Indirect Taxes & Customs.
Q. How many ‘Sewa Service’ trains flagged off by Railways Minister Piyush Goyal?
Explaination: Railways Minister Piyush Goyal flagged off 9 ‘Sewa Service’ trains. These trains are connecting small towns to major cities.
Q. India handed over the second pair of Mi-24V helicopters to war-torn ____________, boosting the capability of the Air forces.
(a) Sri Lanka
Explaination: India handed over the second pair of Mi-24V helicopters to war-torn Afghanistan, boosting the capability of the Afghan Air forces.
Q. Mastercard, along with cricketer __________________ , launched a nationwide initiative ‘Team Cashless India’ to accelerate the acceptance and adoption of digital payments.
(a) Hardik Pandya
(b) Rohit Sharma
(c) Mahendra Singh Dhoni
(d) Virat Kohli
(e) Ravindra Jadeja
Explaination: Mastercard, along with cricketer Mahendra Singh Dhoni, launched a nationwide initiative ‘Team Cashless India’ to accelerate the acceptance and adoption of digital payments.
Q. The death anniversary of the mystic bard Fakir Lalon Shah is being observed in Bangladesh. In which of the following year Fakir Lalon Shah died?
Explaination: The 129th death anniversary of the mystic bard Fakir Lalon Shah is being observed in Bangladesh. He was died in 1890.
Q. The Indian football team won the 3rd Edition of the SAFF U-15 Women’s Championships 2019 by beating _________________ by 5-3 in the penalty shoot-out.
Explaination: The Indian football team won the 3rd Edition of the SAFF U-15 Women’s Championships 2019 by beating Bangladesh by 5-3 in the penalty shoot-out.
Q. Which State’s Legislative Council was abolished recently on October 18, 2019?
b. Jammu & Kashmir
c. Himachal Pradesh
Answer: (b) Jammu & Kashmir
Explaination: The Legislative Council of Jammu & Kashmir got abolished on October 18, 2019, making the way for the creation of two Union Territories – Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh. The Council was dissolved under Section 57 of the J&K Reorganisation Bill, 2019.
Q. Who has been recommended to be appointed as the 47th Chief Justice of India?
a. Justice SA Bobde
b. Justice Indu Malhotra
c. Justice Arun Kumar Mishra
d. Justice RF Nariman
Answer: (a) Justice SA Bobde
Explaination: CJI Ranjan Gogoi on October 18, 2019, recommended Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde for appointment as the 47th Chief Justice of India. Chief Justice Gogoi is set to retire on November 17, 2019.
Q. Which State topped the India Innovation Index 2019 of NITI Aayog?
c. Tamil Nadu
Answer: (a) Karnataka
Explaination: Karnataka has topped the India Innovation Index, the first-ever index launched by NITI Aayog to promote competitiveness among Indian states. Karnataka is followed by Tamil Nadu and the Maharashtra States that are ranked second and third, respectively.
Q. Which organization recently retained Pakistan on its Grey List for its failure to combat terror funding?
Answer: (c) Pakistan
Explaination: FATF decided to retain Pakistan on its ‘Grey List’ till February 2020. The Financial Action Task Force (FATF) has directed Pakistan to take extra measures in combating money laundering and funding of terrorists.
Q. Which Union Territory got the first rank in India Innovation Index 2019?
b. Daman and Diu
Answer: (d) Delhi
Explaination: Delhi has got the first place in the list of Union Territories and small states in the India Innovation Index 2019. Delhi is at the first place with 42.98 points while Chandigarh is in second place with 27.97 points.
Q. What percentage of Indian Children are underweight as per the recently released UNICEF report?
a. 33 per cent
b. 28 per cent
c. 20 per cent
d. 13 per cent
Answer: (a) 33 per cent
Explaination: According to UNICEF’s The State of the World’s Children 35% of children in India are suffering from stunting, 2% of children are overweight while 33% of children are underweight.
Q. According to the report released by which international organization, India’s economic growth rate for the year 2019 and 2020 will be 6.1% and 7% respectively?
a. World Bank
c. United Nations
d. Asian Bank of Development
Answer: (b) IMF
Explaination: International Monetary Fund (IMF) has recently released its report – World Economic Outlook Report. According to this report, India’s economic growth rate will be 6.1% in 2019 and 7 in 2020. Earlier, the IMF estimated that India’s economic growth rate will be 7.3% in 2020.
GK 19th October 2019 Current Affairs | Daily Top Current Affairs One-Liners
Bangladesh: Government approves administrators for recovery of dues from top two telecom companies
- Bangladesh government has approved the proposal to appoint administrators for recovery of dues from top two telecom companies of the country.
- Government has approved the recommendation of the Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) to appoint administrators for Grammenphone (GP) and Robi for recovery of Tk 13,446 crore owed by these companies to the government.
- The BTRC conducted two audits in 2016 to calculate the outstanding revenues of the operators.
- Based on the audit report BTRC claims that GP owes it Taka 12,579 crore while Robi owes Taka 867.24 crore.
- The dues include amounts accruing on account of dodging of revenue share, taxes and late fees accumulated until December 2014.
- Earlier in September BTRC had issued a show-cause notice to the two companies for recovery of the dues giving 30 day deadline failing which their licenses were to be cancelled.
- According to the BTRC, GP has 7.48 crore active connections while Robi has 4.77 crore connections accounting for close to 75 percent of all the mobile connections in Bangladesh.
- In the meanwhile, on Thursday High Court in Dhaka issued an interim stay on the realization of Tk 12,579.95 crore from GP by BTRC for two months.
Next year’s G7 summit to take place in US President Donald Trump’s Florida golf club
- Next year’s G7 summit will take place in one of US President Donald Trump’s Florida golf clubs.
- This was informed by the President’s acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney on 17 October, 2019.
- Mr Trump had previously suggested hosting the summit at one of his own golf clubs, drawing immediate criticism that he is profiteering from his presidency.
- Climate change will not be on the agenda of next year’s G7 summit.
Turkey agrees to ceasefire in northern Syria
- Turkey has agreed to a ceasefire in northern Syria to let Kurdish-led forces withdraw. The deal came after US Vice-President Mike Pence and Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan met for talks in Ankara.
- As per deal all fighting will be paused for five days, and the US will help facilitate the withdrawal of Kurdish-led troops from what Turkey terms a safe zone on the border, Mr Pence said.
- Chief of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces in a Kurdish TV interview said they would observe the agreement in the area between the border towns of Ras al-Ayn and Tal Abyad, where fighting has been fierce.
- They have not discussed the fate of other areas referring to parts of the northeast where Turkey wants to create what it calls a safe zone.
- Abdi urged Washington to guarantee the return of the displaced and ensure the region does not undergo demographic change as Turkey wants to create a buffer zone 30 kilometres deep on the Syrian side of the border, to keep Kurdish militias at bay and resettle some of the 3.6 million Syrian refugees living on its soil.
- Clashes in Ras al-Ayn continued despite news of the agreement.
- Since Turkey launched its invasion of northeastern Syria on October 9, dozens of civilians have been killed and 3 lakh have been displaced, according to the Observatory.
EU and UK reach an agreement on Brexit deal
- Negotiators from the European Union and the UK have reached an agreement on a Brexit deal before a meeting of European leaders in Brussels.
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker called it a fair outcome.
- He urged MPs to come together to get Brexit done and get this excellent deal over the line.
- Now is the moment for us to get Brexit done and then together to work on building our future partnership.
- There was no need to extend the Brexit deadline.
- On other hand, British lawmakers voted narrowly in favour of holding the first Parliamentary Session on a Saturday in 37 years, to debate the government’s new Brexit deal. Members of the lower chamber House of Commons voted 287 to 275 in favour.
- It would only be Parliament’s fifth Saturday session since the eve of World War II.
- The two sides have been working on the legal text of a deal, but it will still need the approval of both the UK and European Parliaments.
- Britain is due to leave the European Union by 31st of October, with Johnson racing against time to strike a deal to meet that deadline.
Defence exports soar by seven times in two years, reach 2 billion
- India’s defence exports have grown seven times in the last two years, reaching a value of two billion dollars.
- Joint Secretary in the Department of Defence Production Dr. Sanjay Jaju said that the country is working out modalities to become a hub in top class defence production with efforts being made to increase defence exports to five billion dollars in the near future.
- A gathering of security and defence specialists in Bengaluru, 440 companies in the private sector have taken up defence production in the last five years.
- These companies have been given contracts worth five lakh crore rupees for the supply of defence equipment.
- Artificial Intelligence, autonomous systems, cyber-defence, smart ammunition and weapons are areas in which the start ups are going to play an innovative role.
- Speaking on the occasion, Chairman of National Security Advisory Board (NSAB) PS Raghavan pointed out that cyber and space attacks, sanctions and tariffs, drone attacks, electronic warfare, 5G communication network are areas in which future wars will be fought.
- Chairman of National Technology Research Organization (NTRO) Satish Chandra Jha said that the need is to integrate ideas on national security with the policy making initiatives.
Karnataka tops first ever India Innovation Index launched by NITI Aayog
- The first-ever India Innovation Index was launched by NITI Aayog in New Delhi in order to promote competitiveness among the states.
- Karnataka has emerged the topper among major states.
- Tamil Nadu is second and Maharashtra is on the third position followed by Telangana, Haryana, Kerala, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh. Jharkhand finished last in the list of 17 major states.
- Among the North-Eastern states, Sikkim and among Union Territories Delhi has occupied the top spot.
- The aim of innovation index is to move states from competitive populism to competitive good governance.
- Innovation index will continue to pursue such interventions that play an important role in developing cooperative and competitive federalism.
Dr. Jitendra Singh hails Ayushman Bharat- PMJAY as unique health scheme
- Minister of State in Prime Minister’s Office Dr. Jitendra Singh has hailed the Ayushman Bharat – Pradhan Mantri Jan Aarogya Yojana as a unique and successful health insurance scheme.
- Addressing the Asia Health-2019 conference in New Delhi, Dr Singh said, over 50 lakh people have been benefited from this scheme and the government is taking health-care protection to a new aspirational level.
- It is the world’s largest government funded health-care programme targeting more than 50 crore beneficiaries.
- Dr Singh suggested that in a heterogeneous and dynamic nation like India the fundamental priorities need to be considered while determining the spectrum of health care and disease.
- India can not copy the West or other countries of the world in this connection.
- Though India needs qualitative and quantitative changes in the health care sector.
- Dr Singh also emphasized on the importance of human interface in the health care sector.
Government probing Flipkart and Amazon for alleged predatory pricing: Commerce Minister
- The government is probing WalMart-owned Flipkart and Amazon over the alleged predatory pricing.
- Stating that e-commerce companies have no right to sell products at discounts that will result in retail sector incurring major loss, these platforms are only allowed to connect potential sellers and buyers.
- Stringent action will be taken, if there is violation of any law in letter or in spirit.
- The matter comes after the Confederation of All India Traders had written to the Ministry seeking an audit into the business model of all e-commerce firms and the foreign-owned Amazon and Flipkart in particular.
- The letter had asked the government to verify Amazon and Flipkart’s claims that individual brands are offering discounts and not them.
- Mr. Goyal, who also holds the Railways portfolio, refuted rumours that the Railways might exit its ticketing arm IRCTC which had a stellar stock market debut earlier this week following a hugely successful IPO. Mr. Goyal said the government has no plan to fully sell IRCTC.
India on course to be 5 trillion economy by 2024
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has asserted that his government is on course to make India a five-trillion dollar economy in the next five years despite apprehensions being expressed by experts and the opposition.
- Addressing an election rally in Pune, Mr Modi it is not just a figure for us.
- It is the government’s resolve to make India a 5 trillion dollar economy by 2024.
- Indian economy is full of opportunities for the youth and the recent policy decisions will further boost its growth.
- The government is also planning to pump in over 100 lakh crore rupees in infrastructure projects.
- The nature of employment is changing and skill upgradation is the key.
- That inclusive society brings investment and investment brings innovation.
- That steps like abrogation of Article 370 will lead us towards inclusive society and it will not only benefit Kashmir but change the atmosphere of the entire country.
Despite IMF’s projections, India remains among fastest growing economies: Finance Minister
India remains among the fastest growing economies of the world and efforts are being made to make it grow faster.
International Monetary Fund (IMF) has projected a reduced growth rate for India, but the country’s economy is still growing as the fastest.
Mrs Sitharaman is certainly not risking a comparison with China, even though the two countries growth rates have been projected at 6.1 per cent in a latest IMF report.
The IMF in its latest projections reduced the growth rate for all the global economies. It reduced the growth for India too. But even with that India is still growing as the fastest growing economy.
As against India’s real growth rate of 6.8 per cent in 2018, the IMF in its latest World Economic Outlook released, projected the country’s growth rate at 6.1 per cent for 2019 and noted that the Indian economy is expected to pick up at 7 per cent in 2020.
Responding to a question on the status of the India-US trade deal currently been negotiated between the two countries she said there has been narrowing of trade differences between India and the US and hoped the two countries will be able to enter into a trade deal soon.
Mrs Sitharaman is in Washington to attend the annual meeting of the IMF and the World Bank.Bilateral
India urges Pakistan not to levy service fee on pilgrims to Kartarpur Corridor
- India and Pakistan have reached an agreement on all other issues related to Kartarpur Sahib Corridor except the matter of service fee.
- Islamabad is insisting on levying a fee of 20 dollar on all pilgrims and New Delhi has urged the neighbouring country not to do so in the interests of devotees and also because this is a people to people initiative.
- The Kartarpur Sahib Corridor is an important people to people initiative taken by India to commemorate the 550th Birth Anniversary of Guru Nanak Devji.
- The corridor will connect Darbar Sahib in Kartarpur, Pakistan, with Dera Baba Nanak shrine in Gurdaspur district of Punjab.
GoAir received the Best Airline award
- GoAir has received the ‘Best Airline’ award by Andaman Tourism Award – 2019 in its first edition for its leadership in attaining on-time performance for 12 consecutive months. Andaman Tourism Award was organised at Port Blair.
- According to the data released by the DGCA, GoAir has emerged as the most punctual airline in August 2019, thereby creating history in the Indian aviation sector.
Indian Army Wife Kiran Uniyal achieved Guinness World Records
- Kiran Uniyal, wife of a serving Colonel of Indian Army has created Individual Guinness World Records for The most full contact knee strikes in three minutes (one leg) (female), 263 strikes & The most full contact knee strikes alternate legs in one minute (female),120 strikes.
- The earlier records were of 177 strikes and 102 in female category respectively.
International level chess tournament inaugurated at the grounds of Koteshwara Karnataka Public School
- International chess tournament for chess players whose FIDE rating is below 1600 was inaugurated on October 15, 2019 at the grounds of Koteshwara Karnataka Public School.
- This tournament is organized by Kashvi Chess School (KCS).
- The tournament ended on October 17, 2019.
- The tournament was inaugurated by gold medal winner of Commonwealth Games of 2018, Shriyana S Mallya of Mangaluru.