Daily Current Affairs – International
US Prez signs bills into law in support of Hong Kong protesters
What does the law say?
- The bill was introduced in June in the early stages of the protests in Hong Kong, and was overwhelmingly approved by the House of last month.
- It says: “Hong Kong is part of China but has a largely separate legal and economic system.
- The bill also says the US should allow Hong Kong residents to obtain US visas, even if they have been arrested for being part of non-violent protests.
- Hong Kong’s protests started in June against a proposed law to allow extradition to mainland China but it has since transformed into a larger pro-democracy movement.
Sri Lanka President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to arrive in New Delhi
The President of Sri Lanka, Gotabaya Rajapaksa, will reach New Delhi on a three-day state visit to India.
- This will be his first official visit abroad after assuming office on the 21st of this month.
- This is the first foreign visit of Sri Lankan President and shows the importance attached to Sri Lanka – India relations.
- PM Modi was the first foreign leader to telephone Mr. Gotabaya on his victory and invite him to visit India.
Daily Current Affairs – National
UP: 47th All India Police Science Congress begins in Lucknow
Uttar Pradesh Police in association with the Home Ministry and the Bureau of Police Research and Development is organizing the event at the police headquarters in Lucknow.
- It is second time since the inception of the Annual Mind Churning exercise in 1960 that Lucknow is organizing this event. The last time Lucknow was host for AIPSC was in 1997.
Lok Sabha passed The Special Protection Group (Amendment) Bill, 2019
The Special Protection Group (Amendment) Bill, 2019 was introduced in Lok Sabha by the Minister of Home Affairs, Mr. Amit Shah, on November 25, 2019. The Bill amends the Special Protections Group Act, 1988.
- The Act provides for the constitution and regulation of the Special Protection Group (SPG) to provide security to the Prime Minister, former Prime Ministers, and their immediate family members.
- Under the Act, the SPG provides security to the Prime Minister and his immediate family members.
- It also provides security to former Prime Ministers and their immediate family members for a period of one year from the date on which they cease to hold the office.
- Beyond this period, the SPG security is provided based on the level of threat as decided by the central government.
Cabinet approves India-Saudi Arabia Agreement on Strategic Partnership Council
Union Cabinet headed Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the Agreement signed by Prime Minister for establishment of Strategic Partnership Council between India and Saudi Arabia.
- The agreement was signed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on 29 October 2019 during former’s two-day visit to the Gulf Kingdom.
- Strategic Partnership Council Agreement will significantly boost strategic ties between India and Saudi Arabia and will open new avenues of partnership in strategic areas.
- The council will be headed by PM Modi and Crown Prince Mohammed and meet every 2 years. It will coordinate decisions regarding strategically important issues.
Lokpal Logo & Motto launched
The Chairman of Lokpal, Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose launched the logo of Lokpal, at an event held in New Delhi.
- The motto of Lokpal “मा गृधः कस्यस्विद्धनम्” (Do not be greedy for anyone’s wealth) was also adopted.
- The Logo design of Prashant Mishra, Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh was selected for adoption as Logo of Lokpal.
- The logo of Lokpal is based upon literal meaning of LOKPAL which means: LOK- meaning people and PAL- meaning caretaker, i.e. ‘caretaker of people’. The logo is in tricolor representing the national essence of LOKPAL and symbolizes how Lokpal protects and cares for people of India by establishing justice as per law.
HRD Ministry launches Kartavya Portal
Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launched the kartavya.ugc.ac.in portal for holding monthly essay competitions for students.
- The portal was launched as part of yearlong ‘Nagrik Kartavya Paalan Abhiyan’ being observed throughout the country.
- The Department of Higher Education under HRD Ministry will be holding 11 rounds of National Essay Competitions during the year.
- The topics of the essay will be based on one Fundamental Duty every month.
Global Exhibition on Services-2019 organised in Bengaluru
Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Commerce and Industry & Railways inaugurated the Global Exhibition on Services (GES) 2019 in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- The year 2019 is the 5th edition of GES. The inaugural function was also attended by Chief Minister of Karnataka B. S. Yediyurappa.
- GES is an annual event established by Department of Commerce, Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry in association with Services Export Promotion Council (SEPC) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
Daily Current Affairs – Business
RBI raises concerns over bad loans from Mudra Yojana
The Reserve Bank of India on November 27, 2019 raised concerns over increasing bad loans from the Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana.
- RBI believes that there is an urgent need to monitor the loans sanctioned under Mudra Yojana.
- According to RBI, the percentage of MUDRA loans were at 2.52% in 2017-18, It has now raised to 2.89% in 2018-19. It also says that the number of loans being sanctioned under the scheme has increased greatly.
- In 2017 the loans provided under Shishu category were 83,892 and it increased to 1,39,652 in 2019. The loans provided under Kishore category were 51,063 in 2017 and increased to 99,868 in 2019.
- Also, RBI stated that out of 182 million MUDRA loans sanctioned, 3.63 million accounts were defaulted.
Daily Current Affairs – Awards
DRDO Chairman G Satheesh Reddy awarded honorary fellowship by Royal Aeronautical Society of UK
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) chairman G Satheesh Reddy was awarded honorary fellowship by Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) of United Kingdom (UK) during the Medals and Awards presentation ceremony in London.
- He is the first Indian recipient of the prestigious award in more than 100 years.
- It is one of the world’s highest distinctions for aerospace achievement awarded for only most exceptional contributions to the aerospace profession. It is considered as equivalent to Nobel Prize in the aerospace domain.
- The first Honorary Fellowship was awarded in year 1917.