GK Current Affairs Quiz 06th January with Questions and Answers: General Knowledge section of Versionweekly aims to help every competitive exam aspirant to revise the day at ease.
GK Current Affairs Quiz 03rd January 2020
Q. Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei named the Deputy Head of the Revolutionary Guards’ foreign operations arm ______________ to replace Qasem Soleimani as its commander.
(a) Abolhassan Banisadr
(b) Mohammad-Ali Rajai
(c) Mohammad Khatami
(d) Esmail Qaani
(e) Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
Answer: (d) Esmail Qaani
Explanation: Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei named the Deputy Head of the Revolutionary Guards’ foreign operations arm Esmail Qaani to replace Qasem Soleimani as its commander.
Q. Which of the following state recently appointed two ‘Disha Special Officers’?
(b) Andhra Pradesh
(e) Tamil Nadu
Answer: (b) Andhra Pradesh
Explanation: The Andhra Pradesh government-appointed Indian Administrative Service (IAS) official Dr Kritika Shukla and Indian Police Service (IPS) official M Deepika, as Special Officers for implementing the Andhra Pradesh Disha Act 2019.
Q. Who has inaugurates the World Book Fair 2020 held in New Delhi?
(a) Thawar Chand Gehlot
(b) Smriti Zubin Irani
(c) Narendra Singh Tomar
(d) Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank
(e) Harsimrat Kaur Badal
Answer: (d) Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank
Explanation: The World book fair 2020 is organised by the National Book Trust (NBT) in association with ITPO, will be inaugurated by Union Human Resource Development (HRD) Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank.
Q. Ministry of External Affairs announced the setting up of new emerging and strategic technologies (NEST) division. Who is minister of MEA?
(a) Arjun Munda
(b) Nirmala Sitharaman
(c) Ravi Shankar Prasad
(d) Nitin Jairam Gadkari
(e) Subrahmanyam Jaishankar
Answer: (e) Subrahmanyam Jaishankar
Explanation: The External affairs minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar announced the setting up of new emerging and strategic technologies (NEST) division. The division will work to increase investment coordination among the states of the country and also with the foreign countries.
Q. Who among the following designed the world’s 2nd tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel at Ahmedabad, Gujarat?
(a) Sadanand Bakre
(b) Anish Kapoor
(c) Ram V. Sutar
(d) G. Ravinder Reddy
(e) Tapan Talukdar
Answer: (c) Ram V. Sutar
Explanation: The statue of Sardar Patel has also been designed by Padma Bhusan Ram V. Sutar, the same sculptor who had designed the Statue of Unity.
Q. Which of the following state recently launched ‘Cyber Safe Women’ initiative?
(e) Tamil Nadu
Answer: (b) Maharashtra
Explanation: Maharashtra Government has launched a ‘Cyber Safe Women’ initiative under which awareness camps will be held across all the districts of the state regarding cyber safety.
Q. The Reserve Bank of India has launched which app to help the visually challenged identify the denomination of currency notes?
Answer: (c) MANI
Explanation:The Reserve Bank of India launched ‘MANI’ mobile app to help the visually challenged identify the denomination of currency notes on January 1, 2019.
Q. Who has been appointed as India’s new Army chief?
(a) Manoj Mukund Naravane
(b) Anil Kumar Sood
(c) Devesh Chandra
(d) SS Chandrashekhar
Answer: (a) Manoj Mukund Naravane
Explanation:Lieutenant General Manoj Mukund Narwane, the Deputy Chief of the Indian Army, has become the next Chief of the Indian Army. He has replaced Bipin Rawat. Naravane was commissioned in Sikh Light Infantry Regiment on June 1980.
Q. Who has taken charge as India’s first Chief of Defence Staff?
(a) Bikram Singh
(b) Bipin Rawat
(c) VK Singh
(d) Deepak Kapoor
Answer: (b) Bipin Rawat
Explanation:General Bipin Rawat has been named as the first Chief of Defence Staff of India. He will serve as the principal military advisor to the Union Defence Minister. He will be responsible for the administration of all three armed services including the army, navy and the air force.
Q. Indian Railways has launched which helpline number for passengers?
Answer: (d) 139
Explanation:The Indian Railways has launched an integrated helpline number- 139 for quick grievance redressal and enquiries by passengers during their train journeys. The new number will replace all the existing helpline numbers.
Q. Which state has topped the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Index for 2019-20?
Answer: (c) Kerala
Explanation:Kerala topped the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Index for the year 2019-20, which was released recently by NITI Aayog. Chandigarh topped the Union Territories list, while J&K and Ladakh were ranked at the bottom of the index.
Q. Which city has been adjudged as the cleanest for the 4th time in the latest cleanliness survey of the union government?
Answer: (a) Indore
Explanation:Indore was adjudged as the cleanest city in India for the fourth time in a row in the cleanliness survey released by the Union Government on December 31, 2019. While Bhopal stood second in first quarter results, Rajkot was ranked second in the second quarter results.
Q. Which state secured first position in the recently released ‘India State of Forest Report 2019’ for the highest growth in forest area in the country?
(a) Uttar Pradesh
(d) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: (c) Karnataka
Explanation:The ‘India State of Forest Report 2019’ ranked Karnataka (1,025 km), Andhra Pradesh (990 km) and Kerala (823 km) as the top three states with the highest growth in forest area.
Q. Which country recorded highest number of child births on January 1, 2020?
(c) South Africa
Answer: (a) India
Explanation:India recorded birth of 67,385 numbers of kids on January 01, 2020. India is followed by China (46,299) and Nigeria (26,039). This number is 17% of total kids born in the world.
Q. Name the Indian mountaineer, who recently conquering Mt. Vinson Massif, Antarctica’s highest mountain peak?
(a) Gurmayum Anita Devi
(b) Santosh Yadav
(c) Premlata Agarwal
(d) Malavath Poorna
(e) Arunima Sinha
Answer: (d) Malavath Poorna
Explanation: Indian mountaineer Malavath Poorna, the youngest girl to have climbed the world’s highest mountain Mt. Everest 5 years ago, accomplished another feat by conquering Mt. Vinson Massif, Antarctica’s highest mountain peak (4,987 mts).
Q. In which city, 4th All India Police Judo Cluster Championship 2019 was held?
(d) New Delhi
Answer: (d) New Delhi
Explanation: Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, inaugurating the 4th All India Police Judo Cluster Championship 2019, in New Delhi.
Q. The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) opened its first ____________ silk processing plant at Surendranagar in Gujarat.
(a) Kanjeevaram Saree
(b) Patola Saree
(c) Bomkai Saree
(d) Sambalpuri Saree
(e) Bandhani Saree
Answer: (b) Patola Saree
Explanation: The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) opened its first “Patola Saree” silk processing plant at Surendranagar in Gujarat.
Q. In which of the following year World Health Organization designated the “Year of Nurse and Midwife”?
Answer: (d) 2020
Explanation: In the honour of 200th birth anniversary of Florence Nightingale, the World Health Organization designated the year 2020 as the “Year of Nurse and Midwife”.
Q. What is the theme of annual World Book Fair 2020 held in New Delhi?
(a) Manushi– Books Written on and by Women
(b) Gandhi: The Writers’ Writer
(c) Suryodaya: Emerging voices from North East India
(d) Books for Readers with Special Needs
(e) Renaissance of Civilizations- Understanding through exchanges
Answer: (b) Gandhi: The Writers’ Writer
Explanation: The theme for World Book Fair 2020 is ‘Gandhi: The Writers’ Writer.
Q. Which Indian female chess player recently won the World Rapid Championship title?
(a) Koneru Hampy
(b) Pragya Vajpayee
(c) Ankita Bhambri
(d) Nutan Awasthi
Answer:(a) Koneru Humpy
Explanation: India’s female chess player Koneru Hampi won the title by defeating China’s Lei Tingji in the World Rapid Chess Championship in the tiebreaker’s series (Armageddon). Koneru Hampi has been awarded the ‘Arjuna Award’ in the year 2003 and ‘Padma Shri’ in the year 2007.
Q. Which city will be hosting the 3rd Khelo India youth games?
(b) New Delhi
Answer: (a) Guwahati
Explanation: The third Khelo India youth games will be held in Guwahati, Assam from January 10-22, 2019. Over 6500 athletes are expected to take part in the event.
Q. Which day was observed every year as ‘World Braille Day’?
(a) 1 January
(b) 2 January
(c) 3 January
(d) 4 January
(e) 5 January
Answer: (d) 4 January
Explanation: The world Braille Day is observed annually on 4 January. World Braille Day celebrated since 2019, is observed to raise awareness of the importance of Braille as a means of communication in the full realization of the human rights for blind and partially sighted people.
Q. In which state of India 2nd tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel unveils?
(a) Madhya Pradesh
(d) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: (b) Gujarat
Explanation: Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani unveils the 2nd tallest statue of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in the world at Ahmedabad. 50 feet tall bronze statue with a weight of 70 thousand kilograms has been unveiled at the Sardardham campus near Vaishnodevi Circle in Ahmedabad.
Q. Indian paddler _____________ became world no.1 in the latest International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) rankings in the Under-21 men’s singles category.
(a) Mouma Das
(b) Soumyajit Ghosh
(c) Manav Thakkar
(d) Harmeet Desai
(e) G Sathiyan
Answer: (c) Manav Thakkar
Explanation: Indian paddler Manav Thakkar became world no.1 in the latest International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) rankings in the Under-21 men’s singles category.
Q. Who among the following has been re-appointed as the Inspector General, Border Security Force (BSF), up to June 27, 2021?
(a) Raman Srivastava
(b) Abhinav Kumar
(c) U K Bansal
(d) Subhash Joshi
(e) V K Johri
Answer: (b) Abhinav Kumar
Explanation: The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the proposal of Ministry of Home Affairs for extending the deputation tenure of IPS Abhinav Kumar, Inspector General, Border Security Force (BSF), up to June 27, 2021, in relaxation of IPS Tenure Policy.
Daily Current Affairs – International
World Braille Day: 04 January
The world Braille Day was celebrated on 04 January.
- The day is marked remembering the birth anniversary of Louis Braille, the inventor of Braille – for people with visual disabilities.
- Louis Braille was born on 4th January 1809 in the town of Coupvray in northern France.
- At the age of just 3, he lost both his eyes in an accident.
- This resulted in the invention of the language of 6 dots- which is popularly known as braille.
Daily Current Affairs – National
Neutral pronoun ‘they’ voted Word of the Decade
Neutral pronoun ‘they’ has been voted word of the decade by US language experts, beating out other contenders.
- “They” is used in English by a growing number of non-binary individuals, people who do not identify as either male or female.
- They prefer the plural neutral pronoun to bypass using the pronouns “he” or “she”.
- The recognition comes after US dictionary Merriam-Webster in December named “they” as word of the year.
India ranked 34th on world travel, tourism competitiveness index
According to WEF report, India has moved up six places to rank 34th on world travel and tourism competitiveness index.
- India’s ranking improved from 40th to 34th, the greatest improvement over 2017 among the top 25 percent of all countries ranked in the report.
- Spain held on to the top spot in the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) latest Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Report (TTCR), which ranked 140 countries on their relative strengths in global tourism and travel.
- Spain was followed by France, Germany and Japan, with the United States replacing the UK in the top five.
WB Govt to provide holy water of Ganga Sagar through an app
West Bengal Government has decided to provide holy water of Ganga Sagar on the occasion of Makar Sankranti.
- The people who desire to have holy water may apply through the designated app of the Mela.
- Only courier charges will be taken for this purpose.
- The Ganga Sagar Mela will take place on the 14th of January this year in West Bengal.
Kolkata Police to start third edition of ‘Sukanya’ project
Kolkata Police will start the third edition of its ‘Sukanya’ project to provide girls studying in schools and colleges in the city with self-defence training.
- The third batch of ‘Sukanya’ will start at 100 city-based schools and colleges situated in Kolkata Police jurisdiction.
- Girl students of VIII, IX, XI and girls studying in the first year at educational institutions in this area will be part of it.
- Sukanya is an initiative of the Kolkata Police’s Community Policing Wing to provide self-defence training to girl students of city-based schools, colleges and universities.
Adani Ports to acquire a 75% stake in Krishnapatnam Port
Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone on announced its decision to acquire a controlling stake in Krishnapatnam Port Company Limited (KPCL) in what would be the largest acquisition in the port sector in India.
- The Gautam Adani-led company will buy a 75% stake in KPCL at an enterprise value of Rs 13,572 crore after prolonged talks to obtain the all-weather port in Andhra Pradesh.
- Located at Krishnapatnam in Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh, north of Chennai, the port was developed in 2008 by CVR Group, which continues to own a majority stake.
- With Krishnapatnam, Adani Ports now has 12 ports and terminals across the country.
4th All India Police Judo Cluster Championship 2019
The 4th All India Police Judo Cluster Championship 2019 was inaugurated in New Delhi.
- The 5-day sporting event will draw to a close on the 7th Jan.
- The sporting event is organized by the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).
- Previous editions of the cluster have been organized by Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB), West Bengal Police and Odisha Police in 2016, 2017 and 2018 respectively.
Daily Current Affairs – Appointments
Iran names Esmail Qaani as new Commander
Iran’s supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei named the Deputy Head of the Revolutionary Guards’ foreign operations arm Esmail Qaani to replace Qasem Soleimani as its commander.
- Qaani is one of the most decorated commanders of the Guards during the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war.
- Soleimani was killed in a targeted U.S. drone strike on 3 January 2020 in Baghdad, Iraq.
Daily Current Affairs – Sports
Irfan Pathan announces retirement from all forms of Cricket
Indian all-rounder Irfan Pathan announced his retirement from all forms of Cricket.
- Irfan, who has been out of favour from the Indian team for a few years now, made his Team India debut at the age of 19 in 2003.
- He last played for India in October 2012.
- He played 29 Tests, 120 ODIs and 24 T20Is.
- He was part of the victorious Indian team at the 2007 World Twenty20 and was the man-of-the-match in the final against Pakistan.
Saurabh Chaudhary wins gold in men’s 10 m air pistol at 63rd National Shooting Championship
Ace shooter Saurabh Chaudhary has won the men’s 10 metres air pistol gold at the 63rd National Shooting Championship in Bhopal.
- The 17-year-old from Uttar Pradesh shot a classy 246.4 to finish on top.
- Second-placed Sarabjot Singh of Haryana was well behind with a score of 243.9, while world number two Abhishek Verma settled for bronze in a high-quality final.
- Abhishek and Sarabjot together won the team gold for Haryana.