The government has made it simple for every citizen to check the Aadhaar card status, verify the Aadhaar number online, and make changes to it.
This blog will provide a comprehensive overview of how to update an Aadhaar card in a few simple steps.
How to do Aadhaar Card Update?
There are two ways to update your Aadhaar card: online or at an Aadhaar enrolment centre. The instructions for updating the Aadhaar card are as follows:
How to Update Aadhaar Card at Enrolment Centre?
It is easy to update the Aadhaar card at Aadhaar enrolment centre-
- Visit the official website of UIDAI
- Go to ‘My Aadhaar’ and select ‘Locate an Enrolment Center.’
- Find your nearest enrolment centre
- Fill out the Aadhaar correction form at the Aadhaar enrolment centre
- Submit the Aadhaar correction form along with the required documents and a fee to get the Aadhaar information corrected
How to Update Aadhaar Card Demographics Details Online?
UIDAI currently allows users to update their name, gender, address, and language. Other information can only be updated by visiting an official Aadhaar enrolment centre. The steps to update Aadhaar card demographics online are as follows:
- Open the official website of UIDAI
- Locate ‘My Aadhaar’ and click on ‘Update Demographics Data Online’ under the section ‘Update your Aadhaar’
- Upon clicking, another screen will appear with the option ‘Proceed to Update Aadhaar’
- Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and captcha code
- Click on ‘Send OTP’ and enter the same to the next column
- Choose any of the demographics data you want to update
- Click on it and proceed
- Submission of the data will generate a URN
- Select the BPO and click on ‘Submit’
- Attach the scanned copies of all the supporting documents
- Download the acknowledgement copy
- It takes a few working days to get the information updated
Things to be noted-
- Scanned copies of the documents will be required to update the data
- Check other details of the Aadhaar
- Connect the UIDAI help desk if you want to change the PIN Code, district, post office, state, etc.
What are the Documents Required for Aadhaar Update/Correction?
While original documents must be brought to the Aadhaar enrollment centre, scanned documents must be submitted for online Aadhaar update/correction.
Documents required for Aadhaar Update/Correction
|Proof of Identity||PAN Card, Passport, PDS/Ration card, Voter ID Card, Driving License, Arms License, Photo Bank ATM Card, Photo Credit Card, Pensioner Photo Card, Kisan Photo Passbook, Government Photo ID Cards/ Service Photo Identity Card issued by PSU, NREGA Job Card, Freedom Fighter Photo Card, CGHS/ECHS Photo Card, Certificate of Identity with a photo issued by Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on Letterhead, Address Card with Name and Photo issued by Department of Posts|
|Proof of Address||Ration Card, Passport, Bank Statement/Passbook, Voter ID, Post Office Account Statement/Passbook, Government Photo ID Cards/Service Photo Identity Card issued by PSU, Driving License, Water Bill, Telephone Bill, Electricity Bill, Property Tax Receipt, Credit Card Statement, Gas Connection Bill (not older than 3 months old), Insurance Policy, Signed Letter with a Photo from Bank on Letterhead, Signed Letter with a Photo issued by Registered Company on Letterhead, Signed Letter with a Photo issued by Recognized Educational Instruction on Letterhead, Arms License, NREGA Job Card, Kisan Passbook, Freedom Fighter Card, Pensioner Card, CGHS/ECHS Card, Certificate of Address with a Photo issued by MLA, MP or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on Letterhead, Vehicle Registration Certificate, Address Card with a Photo issued by Department of Posts, Certificate of Address issued by Village Panchayat Head or any other equivalent authority, Lease/Rent Agreement/Registered Sale, Address Card with a Photo issued by Department of Posts, Disability ID Card/Handicapped Medical Certificate issued by respective State/UT Governments/ Administrations, Caste and Domicile CertificateÂ with a Photo issued by State Government, Passport of Spouse, Parents Passports (in case of Minor)|
|Proof of Birth||Birth Certificate issued by Group A Gazetted Officer on Letterhead, SSLC Book/Certificate/ Passport|
What to Keep in Mind When Updating Aadhaar Card Details?
It is important to understand thatthe gender and date of birth can only be updated once, whereas the name can be updated twice. As a result, there are a few things to keep in mind when updating Aadhaar card information:
- Check that all of the information you entered is correct
- Submit/attach the correct documents
- Keep the URN safe as you can use it to track Aadhaar card status
- Fill out all of the fields in capital letters
- Fill in all the necessary information, do not leave any important column unattended
- Only submit the documents that are required
- Link your mobile number to your Aadhaar card
- Do not submit documents that are out of date, expired, or have been misplaced
- Do not use salutations such as Mr., Mrs., Miss, etc
- Only the Aadhaar card holder can request an Aadhaar update
- If your Aadhaar card is marked ‘invalid,’ call 1947 for assistance
Can I download my Aadhaar after updating the information?
Yes, you can download e-Aadhaar after the request gets approved.
How long does it take to update information in Aadhaar?
It takes around 90 days to update information in Aadhaar.
Can I submit my biometrics online or through the post?
No, you need to visit the Aadhaar enrolment centre to submit biometrics.
Do I need to visit a particular Aadhaar enrolment centre to update my information?
You can visit any Aadhaar enrolment centre to update your information.
Do I need to pay a fee to update my Aadhaar information?
Yes, a fee of Rs. 50 has to be paid every time you update your Aadhaar information.