The Health Risks of Using A Smartphone Continuously
Smartphones are making our day-to-day work easier, but many of us are not even aware that our phones are also making us vulnerable. The number of hours spent on a smartphone isn’t only a waste of time, but potentially dangerous too.
As we become increasingly dependent on smartphones, picking them up every other minute to check the latest updates, ordering groceries or even shopping on apps – we expose ourselves to the risk of smartphone health hazards, especially obesity.
How Smartphones Affect Well-Being
As mentioned above smartphones reduce physical activity and inactivity leads to obesity, which in turn increases the risk of infertility for both, males and females.
It is commonly observed that obese women have greater likelihood of experiencing pregnancy complications such as undergoing a C-sectIon, giving birth to a large baby or developing conditions like gestational diabetes and hypertension and at the same encounter problems in conception too.
On the other hand, men who talk on their mobile phones continuously, are twice as likely to have low sperm quality as compared to men who don’t. Also, men who keep their phones in their trouser pockets are at a risk of radiation.
Earlier infertility was considered primarily a female problem, but currently half of the couples in the country have a male infertility component. And the gradually declining sperm production has been noted as one of the deterrents In conception.
Other common health hazards of using smartphones are sleeping problems, spinal problems, mobile phone dermatitis and anxiety issues.
Tips to Minimize Cell Phone Radiation
- Keep cell phone conversations short.
- When you have a choice, use a regular phone (landline).
- Send a text message in preference to making a cell phone call.
- If you can contact someone on a landline, avoid calling them on their cell phone.
- Do not put your mobile phones in your pocket, as it is one of the causes of infertility.
- Make use of the speaker phone facility it you have to talk to a person for long hours, as it enables you to hold the phone far away from you. This may help reduce the radiation strength by about 20-60 times.
Tips To Overcome Infertility
- Always create an opportunity to move. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Avoid sitting for long hours at work, continuously. Take short breaks in between and go for regular walks.
- Refrain from wearing tight clothing. Opt for loose fitted boxers, trousers or shorts instead of tight pants.
- Adopt yoga or practice breathing exercises to de-stress.
- opt for a healthy well-balanced eating routine.
- Avoid smoking and drinking.