Mindful Walking for Overall Well-Being
Our thoughts, emotions, speech, and lifestyle is made up of energy which symbolizes our life and everything in the world follows a rhythm. Similarly, when we walk mindfully and regularly at a steady pace, our mind is strengthened and this activity reminds us to be more patient in life because walking takes time.
According to biological studies, our ancestors used to take more than 5000 steps a day! Walking should thus be enjoyed, as it is a rhythmic movement of all human beings. However, there is no need to change the way you walk, just observe what you feel and take a moment to notice your feelings of energy.
Walking can be a functional activity too, like walking from one point to another point. While walking you can focus your mind on your aims, daily life chores, and many other concerns. But as you get absorbed in your thoughts, don’t miss out on appreciating your natural surroundings and make it a point of not missing out on the simple things in life, like a blooming flower or the melodious song of a bird and so on.
How To Walk Mindfully
- Walk ¡n peace at a comfortable pace and if possible, slower than your usual pace. You must also be able to feel the sensation In your legs and feet.
- When you walk, there is a change in energy, try to feel this change. Identify if it is heaviness, stress, movement or warmth. With every step, sense the firm synchronicity with the earth.
- While walking, be with yourself and concentrate on your breathing. Walking alone can be useful, as it helps in self- motivation.
- Don’t let your mind wander – bring it back to concentrate on the sensation brought about by walking.
- Wear comfortable attire and shoes. If possible, try wearing loose clothes that don’t bother you.
- Initially, walk for 10 to 15 minutes. You can try increasing the time allotted, as you go ahead.
- When you are tired, try walking at a faster pace for increased energy and alertness.
Benefits Of Mindful Walking
- Reinforces and strengthens concentration for a focused lifestyle
- Frees you from worries and anxiety about what has already happened and the events that may take place in the future
- Rejuvenates the mind, thereby facilitating creativity and the formation of new ideas
- Helps you remain calm while dealing with difficult emotions
- Boosts positivity
- Mindful walking can be started almost anywhere