Stress Busting And Shirodhara
Shirodhara is an ancient therapy whereby medicated oil is poured over the forehead from a specific height and for a specific period continuously and rhythmically
Due to the busy lifestyle we all lead nowadays, stress is a common ailment afflicting people, It is defined as a state of physiological and psychological imbalance resulting from the disparity between situational demands and the individual’s ability and motivation to meet these demands.
Stress is the leading cause of many diseases like depression, anxiety, hair loss, headaches, body pain, gastrointestinal problems, hypertension, heart problems, obesity, infertility, decreased resistance power etc. The nervous system responds to threats by releasing stress hormones including adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones get the body ready to take any emergency action if required and the hormones released because of stress have a direct effect on the functioning of the brain.
Shirodhara is an important supportive panchakarma Ayurvedic therapy that is popular worldwide, due to its simplicity and efficacy in treating a variety of health problems that are very prevalent today. These include stress, insomnia, hair fall, dandruff, headache, hypertension and diseases of the central nervous system etc.
Shirodhara is a Sanskrit word. ‘Shiro’ means head while dhara means flow. It is an ancient therapy whereby medicated oil is poured over the forehead from a specific height and for a specific period continuously and rhythmically, allowing the oil to run through the scalp and into the hair with a simultaneous slow massage. The different types of shirodhara are taila dhara, ksheera dhara and takra dhara.
What Shirodhara Does
- A purifying and rejuvenating therapy designed to eliminate toxins, relieve mental exhaustion and any central nervous system problems.
- Enhances blood circulation to the brain, improves memory, assists with sleep and calms the body and mind.
- Has anxiolytic and an altered state of consciousness inducing effects. It is also very effective for reducing stress and nervous tension.
- Provides relief from most psychic and somatic disorders.
- Beneficial for many diseases connected with head, neck, eyes, nose and throat.
- Works mainly on mental sheath or manomayakosha.
- Effective in curing ailments like nerve disorders, facial palsy, paralysis, Parkinson’s and ptosis.
- Great therapy for hair fall, dandruff and premature greying of hair.
- Beneficial in curing insomnia. anxiety, depression, dementia, schizophrenia, obsessive compulsive disorder, hypertension, psoriasis and paralysis.
Shirodhara is not only a therapy effective for people afflicted with ailments, but it is a miraculous relaxation technique too, which everyone can enjoy at least once a week. This technique is also very effective in preventing numerous lifestyle diseases.
Benefits Of Head massage
Head massage is wonderful to relieve everyday stress, improve blood circulation and also to promote hair growth. When done with warm oil of your choice, be it olive oil, coconut oil or others and by an expert, it has a number of benefits.
Some of the benefits of a head massage include:
- Improves blood circulation to different parts of the body.
- Helps a person sleep better
- Strengthens hair roots
- Reduces body heat and promotes emotional balance.
- Rejuvenates dry, brittle hair and prevents split ends.
- Relaxes neck muscles and upper back muscles.
- Relaxes the scalp and increases flexibility of hair.
- Aids in the production of natural hair oils, increasing its vibrancy.
If you do not want to visit a spa to get a massage, do it in the comfort of your home. Take some oil of your choice, heat it. Apply the oil on the scalp with your fingers slowly. Massage the scalp with your fingers after applying the oil. Do not be too forceful as it could lead to hair fall. Along with the scalp. also massage you neck and back muscles to feel relaxed.