A Guide To Slow Down Ageing

A Guide To Slow Down Ageing

“Our genetic code contributes around 25 per cent to the rate of ageing, whereas dietary, lifestyle and environmental factors make up the remaining 75 per cent”

Ageing is characterized by a progressive and general decrease in function, leading to a reduced ability to adapt to change and preserve homeostasis. Ageing In itself, is not a disease but strongly increases the chances of suffering from a chronic disease. It is currently estimated that our genetic code contributes around 25 per cent to the rate of ageing in an individual, whereas dietary, lifestyle and environmental factors make up the remaining 75 per cent. Here are some factors that undermine health and accelerate ageing.

Factors That Accelerate Ageing

  • Increased homocysteine levels
  • Excessive consumption of simple sugars, excessive production of insulin and poor glucose metabolism
  • Excessive exposure to sunlight and excessive production of cortisol
  • Inflammation plays a central role in the ageing process
  • Free radical exposure is one of the main factors in the ageing process; oxidative damage to DNA and the mitochondria accelerates ageing
  • Tobacco smoking may accelerate the ageing process
  • Toxin exposure, immunological dysfunction (example autoimmunity, inflammation, infections and allergies)
  • Nutritional deficiencies

Dietary And Lifestyle Guidelines That Assist In The Management Of Ageing


A nutrient dense, low glycemic, anti-inflammatory and phytochemical-rich diet is shown to support healthy ageing. The Weilness Lifestyle Pyramid provides guidelines to help focus on health-enhancing food groups, rather than simply trying to be restrictive to unhealthy options. Research shows that phytochemical intake, a lack of refined foods, a lack of processed fats and low glycemic load appears to be protective against chronic disease.


Both environmental (pollution, heavy metals, pesticides and recreational/some medical drugs) and endogenous (gut dysbiosis) toxicity may directly cause genomic instability and contribute to decreased telomere length, inducing inflammation and oxidative stress and affecting mitochondrial integrity in a number of ways, all interconnected and contributing to ageing and chronic disease.

Integrated detoxification helps to relieve the body of internal and external toxic burden, to help restore normal function a homeostasis. Additionally, integrated detoxification addresses multiple avenues of exposure.


Maintaining a healthy weight and body composition is key to healthy ageing. Exercise (aerobic and resistance) are shown to offer prevention and management of chronic, age-related diseases such as cardiovascular disease, dementia and cancer. The best results come from extended programs of moderate exercise – that is lasting for at least 40 minutes, four or more times per week. Also, studies show that people who sit for more than 10 hours a day and do little activity, are more likely to age and die prematurely.


It helps to improve quality and quantity of life. Stress hormones accelerate ageing as shown by telomere shortening and micronuclei frequency, both signs of genomic instability. It is believed that elevated cortisol and catecholamine output directly causes telomere shortening, may promote inflammation and may also increase oxidative stress.

Health Tip

To ensure longevity and vitality, you must manage the factors that accelerate ageing and promote correct physiological processes

Leave a Comment