The Benefits Of Dance
“The fluidity of postures, the music and the rhythmic movement of the body is all relaxing and uplifting at the same time”
Dancing is one of the most enjoyable forms of movement. The fluidity of postures, the music and the rhythmic movement of the body is all relaxing and uplifting at the same time, Many people who don’t like to work out by going to the gym or indulging in exercises, find dance to be a wonderful alternative physical activity.
However, dancing is not just beneficial to your physical health but can positively Impact your mental health too. Here are some of the benefits of dance.
- Dancing helps to keep the body and brain active through the movements, expression and coordination required, no matter what one’s age
- Dancing helps to improve strength and flexibility of the muscles and joints
- Because of the involvement of music and relaxing moves, dancing can help to reduce stress levels
- Through dance, one can improve balance, posture and physical form
- Dancing can boost one’s self confidence and self-esteem, particularly when performed along with other people. It is also a great way to make some new connections
- Dancing otters a creative outlet that helps the mind and body take a break from daily routine
Different Dance Forms
Dancing has been a part of society since centuries. From the age old Tandava, the divine dance of Lord Shiva, to Sufi dancing to even unique tribal dances from the aboriginal clans of Africa – it has held an integral place in the history of arts and culture.
The Tandava is a form of classical Indian dance with vigorous movements that is said to depict the cosmic cycles of creation and destruction, such as the circle of life from birth to death. In Sufism the art of whirling or Sub spinning is more of a physically active form of meditation. Through their synchronized moves performed to recitation of prayers, they attempt to abandon one’s egos and desires and reach the source of perfection.
Similarly, through age-old African and other tribal dances, one can identify various aspects of society, culture, music and lifestyle of the people residing in the area. Besides this, there are so many other dance forms such as jazz, salsa, tango, ballet etc. that teach us about the cultural and social facets of lite.
This goes to show that no matter where you live, no matter what faith you believe in and no matter what your purpose, dancing allows you to let go and explore yourself by feeling the rhythm from within.
With movements of the body and the rhythmic vibrations in the mind, one can fine-tune their individual selves and find a personal balance, emotionally, mentally and physically, through various forms of dance.