The Super Health Benefits Of Snake Gourd
“Health essentials like protein, vitamins A, B and C and minerals like manganese, calcium, potassium, iron and iodine are present in snake gourd”
Snake gourd is native to Southeast Asia and it is especially popular in India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar and other neighbouring countries. It is a vine plant that climbs trees and then unfurls flowers and fruits to hang to the ground. One of the biggest variety of snake gourd can grow up to five feet long.
This vegetable is a rich source of water and it contains an ample amount of fibre with less calories. Additionally, the other health essentials like protein, vitamins A, B and C and minerals like (manganese, calcium, potassium, iron and iodine) are also present in snake gourd.
- The diuretic property of snake gourd cleanses the liver and eliminates toxins from the body. It also normalizes the functioning of the kidneys and liver
- Snake gourd increases the production of body fluids which keeps the body hydrated and thus prevents dryness
- It eases discomfort in the digestion tract as it is a laxative which regulates bowel movements and cures constipation
- The fibre content in snake gourd reduces the occurrences of stomach cramps and bloating
- A snake gourd decoction is effective in treating fever
- The expectorant action of snake gourd is useful in combating phlegm and eases the discomfort of the respiratory tract. It also provides relief from a sinus problem
- The antibiotic property in this vegetable enhances overall health and strengthens the Immune system. It also protects the body from invading viruses and germs
- Snake gourd is beneficial for a person suffering from hair tall as it strengthens weak hair follicles and improves hair growth. Also, its juice can be useful for treating dandruff
- Snake gourd is an anti-diabetic herb and helps deal with obesity and reduces the risk of diabetes. It also helps in maintaining the correct levels of glucose in the body
- The regular intake of snake gourd regulates blood pressure and prevents the risk of heart diseases
- It contains a high amount of water, which provides a cooling effect to the body
- Palpitation : Take two teaspoons of snake gourd juice and add a teaspoon of honey
- Arrhythmia : Take 2 teaspoons of the juice of snake gourd leaves, thrice a day
- Dandruff : Grate snake gourd and squeeze out the juice. Apply this juice on the scalp for an hour
- Shiny Hair : Mix a cup of fresh snake gourd juice with yogurt and apply it on the hair. Wash oft after a few minutes.
The seeds of the snake gourd should not be taken in excess as due to its high content of oil, an overdose may cause gastric trouble, discomfort, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhoea. Also, snake gourd root should be used cautiously during pregnancy as high doses may have an abortifacient effect.