Healthy Hot & Spicy!
“The normal size of a jalapeno varies between two to four inches but there are innumerable health benefits this little powerhouse offers”
A medium sized chilli pepper, jalapenos are mini packages of nutrition with a pungent hot flavour which can be attributed to the compound capsaicin, the natural element that makes the jalapenos spicy, The normal size of a jalapeno varies between two to four inches but there are innumerable health benefits this little powerhouse offers.
- The fresh variety of these peppers are packed with vitamin C that carries out the synthesis of collagen in the human body. Collagen is a major structural protein that maintains the integrity of blood vessels, tissues. organs skin and bones. Vitamin b also promotes a healthy immune system.
- Jalapenos are rich in antioxidants like vitamin A, flavonoids like lutein, alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, cryptoxanthin and zeaxanthin. These antioxidants protect the system from free radicals, the cause of many diseases.
- Capsaicin is extremely beneficial as a vasodilator and in regulating the flow of blood, It reduces blood pressure too. Capsaicin helps in reducing swelling and pain in those who suffer from arthritis by acting as an anti- inflammatory agent.
- Jalapenos also contains more of vitamin K, vitamin E and pyridoxine as compared to other variations of peppers. The vitamin K is instrumental in increasing bone mass and limits the damage to the brain in patients suffering from Alzhelmer’s disease.
- Bad bacteria is the cause of stomach ulcers and peppers are no cure for stomach ulcers, but aid in killing the bad bacteria in the stomach and intestines in the initial stage.
- Jalapenos provide relief from headaches and migraines. The compound capsaicin inhibits the neuropeptide known as substance P that is responsible for the transmission of the pain signals to the brain.
- Jalapenos are filling and increase appetite without increasing the calorie count. The consumption of jalapenos helps in weight reduction by increasing energy expenditure. Also, the compound capsaicin in jalapenos increases the metabolic rate.
Jalapeno peppers may aggravate existing gastritis, so it is advisable to consume cold yogurt to dilute capsaicin concentration. The yogurt prevents the peppers’ contact with the stomach wall and thus may reduce the burning pain.