The Healthy Shoots
“Bamboo shoots contain minerals and vitamins which help to improve immunity. Also, the presence of antioxidants in this food helps to strengthen one from inside out”
Normally available in spring and early summer, typically in the months of May and June, bamboo shoots or bamboo sprouts are the edible part of the bamboo plant that belongs to the grass family. This seasonal delicacy is crisp and tender with a mild distinctive flavour but once boiled, it tastes neutral. Bamboo shoots have manifold health benefits and we highlight a few here.
Great Supplement Of Dietary Fibre
Bamboo shoots contain a high range of fibre which is much needed for quick, easy digestion and healthy bowel moments. It can be added to the diet of diabetic patients as well as patients suffering from chronic constipation.
Reduces Blood Pressure
As the nutritional value of potassium in edible shoots of the bamboo is high, it is beneficial as an electrolyte and very important in lowering and maintaining blood pressure.
Bamboo shoots when eaten, help in reducing the LDL level of cholesterol as it contains a minimal quantity of fat and just about twenty calories per 100 grams.
Strengthens The Immune System And Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties
Bamboo shoots contain minerals and vitamins which help to improve immunity. Also, the presence of antioxidants in this food helps to strengthen one from inside out. It also has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties which help in curing ulcers.
Beneficial In Treating Worms
Disorders of the stomach can be treated with bamboo shoots and the leaves of the bamboo plant are also a cure for treating worms in the intestines.
Treats Wounds Effectively
Wounds and sores are also treated with the help of bamboo shoots.
Nutritional Value (100 Grams)
- The main nutrients in bamboo shoots are proteins, which is between 1.49 and 4.04 grams per 100gms of fresh bamboo shoots.
- These contain less than 0.49 grams of fat, which consists of both saturated and un-saturated fats, It also has a very low calorie content – 20 calories.
- Bamboo shoots comprise of vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin E, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folate and pantothenic acid.
- An important mineral for body and cell fluids is potassium, as it helps to control blood pressure and the heart rate by nullifying the effects of sodium. And bamboo shoots contain an important source of potassium with a high source of 533mg.
- Bamboo shoots contain a good number of minerals, especially manganese and copper, a small amount of calcium, iron and phosphorus. RBC requires copper for its production and iron is needed for the respiration of the cell.