INSPIRE Scholarship: “Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE)” is an innovative course sponsored and administered by the Department of Science & Technology (DST) for the pull of talent to Science. The basic goal of INSPIRE is to deliver to the youth of the country the activities of creative pursuit of science, pull talent to the art of science at an early age and thus create the required significant human resource pool for sustaining and expanding the Science & Technology system and R & D base.
A prominent feature of the program is that it does not consider in conducting competitive exams to identify talent at any level. It concludes in and relies on the ability of the existing educational edifice to identify the talent.
The government of India has passed the INSPIRE Scheme in November 2008 at a total expense of about Rs 1979.25 crores in the 11th Plan Period and Honourable Prime Minister originated the program on 13th December 2008. The plan is continuing in the 12th Plan period at a budgetary allocation of Rs. 2200 crores.
INSPIRE has three components
- Scheme for Early Attraction of Talent (SEATS),
- Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE) and
- Assured Opportunity for Research Careers (AORC).
The Result List Of Provisionally Selected Students 2018 Has Been Released.
INSPIRE Scholarship Registration Form Has Released.
You can also check National Scholarship Portal covers scholarships for students of all the classes such as 1st to Ph.D.
INSPIRE Scholarship Important Dates
The scholarship is advertised every year through the mid of October and ends at the end of the month of December. INSPIRE Scholarship for Higher Education 2019 is still to be declared. Find below the table showing the provisional dates of the scholarship.
|Start Date of Online application||October 2019|
|Closing Date of Online application||December 2019|
|Release date of the list of shortlisted students||April-May 2020|
INSPIRE Scholarship Eligibility
To apply for Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE), the candidates must have qualified class 12 and proceeding courses in Natural Sciences at the B.Sc. or Integrated M.Sc. level. Given below is the complete information about the eligibility guidelines of this scholarship.
- The candidate must be in the age-group of 17-22 years.
- The applicants must be among the top 1% of the successful learners in terms of overall marks in their 10+2 board exam.
- The candidate should have registered in courses of Natural and Basic Sciences at the level of BSc, BS, and Integrated MSc/MS, in the same year of qualifying class 12th.
- The candidates who are amongst the top 10000 rankers in Joint Entrance Examination (JEE)IIT, AIEEE (top 20000 rankers) and passed CBSE-Medical (AIPTM) and chosen to study Natural/Basic Sciences are eligible.
- The applicants who got admission in Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISER), National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER), Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Basic Sciences (DAE-CBS) at the Mumbai University for pursuing programs in Natural/Basic Sciences commencing to B.Sc. and M.Sc. degree are also eligible.
- The candidates who are KVPY (Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojna), National Talent Search Examination (NTSE), Olympiad Medallists and Jagadish Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS) student and are seeking courses in Natural/Basic Sciences commencing to B.Sc. and M.Sc. degree are eligible.
INSPIRE Eligible Subjects
Candidate should be registered in a valid and regular degree level program in Natural/Basic sciences inside the scope of INSPIRE Scholarship at any UGC identified College or University or National Institute in India.
The subjects under Basic & Natural Sciences inside the scope of INSPIRE Scholarship for persevering B.Sc./BS/Int. MSc/Int. MS Course is:
Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Statistics, Geology, Astronomy, Electronics, Astrophysics, Botany, Zoology, Microbiology, Geophysics, Biochemistry, Anthropology, Atmospheric Sciences, Geochemistry, Ecology, Oceanic Sciences, BioPhysics, Marine Biology, and Genetics
INSPIRE Scholarship – Application Procedure
The applications for INSPIRE Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE) are received through online mode from INSPIRE portal. Given below is the entire guideline on how to apply for the scholarship.
- The applicant has to register as a new user on the INSPIRE scholarship portal. The applicants must enter their name, gender, date of birth, email, password, eligibility criteria and verification code for successful registration.
- The candidates will receive user ID and password on their registered email ID where they need to click on the activation link to begin his/her account.
- The candidate should keep the scanned copies of all the demanded documents ready before filling the application form.
- The candidate must log in to the INSPIRE scholarship portal using their credentials.
- Now, the applicant must fill in all the necessary details like personal details, enrolment information at B.Sc. and Integrated M.Sc. level, senior secondary aggregates, competitive exam details, contact details and other mandatory details in the scholarship application form.
- Also, the candidate has to upload all the needed documents in the online scholarship application.
- The candidate has to review the listed details before the submission of the form by clicking on the ‘Print Preview’ button. They must make sure that all the details and uploaded documents are as per asked by the firm.
- Now, the candidate has to click on the ‘Submit’ button to submit the application form.
- The candidate must take the print out of the submitted application for their record.
INSPIRE Scholarship – Documents Required for Application
When candidates are applying for the Scholarship for Higher Education(SHE), they need to submit some necessary documents in support of their application, the absence of which sway lead to their refusal. Find the list of all the essential documents that a candidate requires to upload while filling their scholarship application.
- Passport Size Photograph
- Community/caste certificate in case of OBC/SC/ST category
- Eligibility note or advisory note, provided by the State/Central Board
- Class 12th or equivalent exam qualifying mark sheet
- Class 10th or equivalent exam qualifying mark sheet or certificate(Proof as Date of Birth)
- Certificate specifying rank/award in JEE (Main)/ JEE (Advanced)/ NEET/ KVPY /JBNSTS/ NTSE / International Olympic Medallists (if the candidate is eligible under this criterion)
- Permission Form signed by the Principal of the College/Director of the Institute/Registrar of the University
- SBI bank passbook details
INSPIRE Scholarship – Selection Procedure
All the applications sent by the candidates are judged on the basis of the defined eligibility criteria. On the basis of this, a list of shortlisted applicants is prepared. Here are the few details for the shortlisting of the scholars:
- Shortlisted candidates list is presented on the online portal of INSPIRE and also on the website of the INSPIRE program.
- The picked students have to download their provisional offer letter from the online portal of INSPIRE.
- The shortlisted candidates also need to upload the important documents on their web portal within the mentioned timeline for further consideration.
- The chosen candidates will receive their scholarship rewards directly into their State Bank of India (SBI) bank account through DBT (Direct Bank Transfer).
INSPIRE – Renewal of Scholarship
To continue SHE scholarship in the succeeding years, INSPIRE scholars have to fulfill the criteria specified below.
- The scholars applying for renewal have to score at least 60% marks or 7.0 GPA on a 10.0-point scale in their annual exams each year.
- If the applicant fails to achieve the required marks in their B.Sc/BS/Int. M.Sc/Int. MS exam, the scholarship for that academic year will be eliminated. The scholarship is renewed in the next academic year if the student’s academic accomplishment is satisfactory.
INSPIRE Scholarship – Rewards
Under the project of SHE, each elected candidate gets a learning amount of Rs.80,000 per annum and many other advantages for the study of Science and Technology and persevere research as a profession.
All the selected candidates need to begin summer research projects under the supervision of an active researcher in a verified research center of India. Find below the full details of the benefits granted under this scholarship.
SHE Scholarship Rewards
- Rs. 80,000 to the elected student
- An annual scholarship of Rs.60,000 distributed across the 12 months as Rs.5000 per month
- Rs.20,000 every year for offering the necessary summer research project
INSPIRE Scholarship – Rules To be Followed
There are a few rules that candidates need to follow in order to apply for this scholarship. Find below the list of terms and conditions that an applicant needs to keep in mind while applying for the SHE scholarship.
- INSPIRE-SHE is granted to students for a period of five years, starting from the 1st year B.Sc., BS, Integrated M.Sc/MS or until the end of the course, whichever occurs earlier.
- Applicants must provide completed application form else the form will be rejected.
- Subjects such as Engineering, Medicine, Defence Studies, Agriculture, Military Science, Psychology, Home Science, Geography, Seed Technology, Anthropology, Economics, Education (including B.Sc.-B.Ed. dual degree course), Computer Applications, Bio-informatics, Biotechnology, Computer Science, Instrumentation, Information Technology, Physical Education, courses in Distance Education mode at the Open Universities and other professional courses are not carried under SHE scholarship.
- The INSPIRE student have to open a regular Savings Bank Account in any branch of the State Bank of India (SBI) only. The account must be in the name of the candidate and it should not be a joint account.
- The shortlisted candidates have to submit their year-wise performance report (signed by the Head of the Institution) and mark sheet of their BSc, BS, Int. MSc/MS course for the release of the scholarship. Head of the Institution refers to Vice-Chancellor/Registrar/Dean of Science in case of Universities and Principal/Vice Principal/Proctor/Officer-in-Charge in case of colleges.
- The Head of the Institution should clearly state in the performance report if the scholarship should be extended or not in that academic year.
- For the first time, the scholarship is published only after the approval of the performance report and mark sheet of 1st year B.Sc, BS, Int. M.Sc/MS. If the academic performance of the candidate is satisfying, two years of scholarship, i.e., Rs.1,20,000 is issued during the candidate’s 2nd year of B.Sc, BS, Int. M.Sc/MS.
- Applicants availing any other scholarship from other sources are not eligible to win this scholarship.
About INSPIRE Programme
Generation and training of a human talent pool capable of using and developing first laws in science is both a pre-condition and integral part of such an innovation foundation. An India distinct model for pulling talent with an for research and innovation, for a career in Basic & Natural sciences is needed. Department of Science & Technology (DST) has originated an innovative programme named Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE) to pull talent to the enthusiasm and study of science at an early age, and to help the country build the demanded critical resource pool for strengthening and developing the S&T system and R&D base with a long term vision.
Let us discuss one by one the scholarship provided by INSPIRE:
Scheme for Early Attraction of Talent (SEATS)
It strives to attract talented youth to study science by implementing INSPIRE Award of Rs 5000 to one million young students of the age group 10-15 years, ranging from Class VI to Class X standards, and also by providing summer camps for about 50,000 science students of Class XI with global leaders in science to feel the joy of innovations on an annual basis through INSPIRE Internship.
Scholarship for Higher Education (SHE)
It tries to enhance rates of attachment of skilled youth to offer higher education in science-intensive programs, by granting scholarships and mentorship. The scheme offers 10,000 Scholarship every year at Rs 0.80 lakh per year for the skilled youth in the age group 17-22 years, for offering Bachelor and Masters level education in natural sciences. The main characteristic of the scheme is the mentorship assistance provided to every scholar.
Assured Opportunity for Research Careers (AORC)
It endeavors to attract, attach, retain and nourish young scientific Human Resource for increasing the R&D foundation and base. It has two sub-components. In the first part i.e. INSPIRE Fellowship (age group of 22-27 years), it awards 1000 fellowships every year, for carrying out a doctoral degree in both basic and applied sciences including engineering and medicine. In the second component i.e. INSPIRE Faculty Scheme, it offers guaranteed opportunity every year for 1000 post-doctoral researchers in the age group of 27-32 years, through contractual and tenure track positions for 5 years in both basic and applied sciences area.
How much is SHE valued for students?
The scholarship is priced at Rs. 80,000/- per annum. Each candidate will receive an annual scholarship at Rs. 5000/- per month total value of Rs. 60,000/-. All the SHE scholars are required to undertake summer research projects under an active researcher in any recognized research centers across India. A summertime attachment fee of Rs. 20,000/- will be paid as Mentorship every year. The scholars have to submit the project report and Certificate from a mentor after the completion of the project in due course of time.
When can the student apply for INSPIRE Fellowship?
Every year sometime during August/ September advertisement is announced in Websites. to seek fresh applications from eligible students in that year and applications are open for submission online through the portal: http://www.online-inspire.gov.in There is the provision of 1000 INSPIRE Fellowships every year to offer eligible students. Also, check our website http://www.inspire-dst.gov.in for regular updates.
Who can apply for INSPIRE Faculty Scheme? What are the eligibility criteria for availing INSPIRE Faculty Scheme?
Indian citizens and people of Indian origin including NRI/PIO status with Ph.D. (in science, mathematics, engineering, pharmacy, medicine, and agriculture-related subjects) from any recognized university in the world. Those who have submitted their Ph.D. Theses and are awaiting award of the degree are also eligible. However, the award will be conveyed only after confirmation of the awarding the Ph.D. degree.
What courses are eligible for the offer of INSPIRE Scholarship?
The following subjects under Basic and Natural Sciences are within the scope of INSPIRE Scholarship for pursuing BSc/BS/Int. MSc/Int. MS course: (1) Physics, (2) Chemistry, (3) Mathematics, (4) Biology, (5) Statistics, (6) Geology, (7) Astrophysics, (8) Astronomy, (9) Electronics, (10) Botany, (11) Zoology, (12) Bio-chemistry, (13) Anthropology, (14) Microbiology, (15) Geophysics, (16) Geochemistry, (17) Atmospheric Sciences & (18) Oceanic Sciences.
Courses other than these subjects such as Engineering, Medicine, Military Science, Defense Studies, Agriculture, Psychology, Seed Technology, Anthropology, Home Science, Geography, Economics, Education (including B.Sc.-B.Ed. dual degree course), Biotechnology, Computer Science, Computer Applications, Bioinformatics, Instrumentation, Information Technology, Physical Education, courses in Distance Education mode at the Open Universities and other professional courses are NOT supported.