Holi has a lot of prominence in Indian Culture and is referred to as the festival of colors. People all over the country celebrate this colorful festival with great pomp and joy. Usually, this festival falls in the month of February or March. It is the festival regarded as a victory of good over evil and brings colors of joy among people.
We celebrate the festival on two consecutive days namely Choti Holi and Badi Holi. On this day, people play with colors, flowers, water, and smear gulal on each other. Read on to know about the Timings of Holika Dahan, Pooja Timings(Muhurat), Celebrations, Date, etc.
- Holi 2022 Date & Time
- Significance of Holi
- Holi Essay in Hindi | 10 Lines on Holi in Hindi
- Essay on Holi in English | Holi Per Nibandh
- Holi Festival Speech in Hindi | होली त्यौहार पर भाषण
- 10 Lines on Holi in English for Children & Students | Holi Essay in English 10 Lines
- Short Speech on Holi in English | Holi Festival Speech Ideas for Students
- When is Holi 2022?
- What does Holi celebrate?
- What is Holi powder called?
- What food do you eat on Holi?
- What do you drink on Holi?
Holi 2022 Date & Time
Holi is celebrated on March 18 this year. The puja timings as per the Purnima tithi will begin from 1:29 PM on March 17 and end on March 18 at 12:47 PM.
|Holika Dahan Pooja Timings (Muhurat)||9:06 PM – 10:16 PM|
|Duration of Holika Dahan||1 Hour 10 Minutes|
|Dhulandi||March 18, 2022|
|Purnima Tithi Starts||01:29 PM on March 17, 2022|
|Purnima Tithi Ends||12:47 PM on Mar 18, 2022|
Significance of Holi
Holi is a festival celebrating divine love between Lord Krishna and Radha. As per Hindu Mythology, Lord Krishna was in a dark complexion whereas Radha was very fair and Krishna used to be anxious whether Radha would accept him or not. One day Yashoda suggested Lord Krishan smear Radha’s face with colors so there would be no color complexion between them. Lord Krishna followed his mother’s advice and did the same. That is when Holi Celebrations began all over the country and especially in Mathura and Vrindavan with great pomp.
One more legend associated with the Holi festival is the demon king Hiranyakashipu son of Prahalad Devotee of Lord Vishnu, Demoness Aunt Holika. As per Hindu Mythology Hiranyakashipu was born with a boon that he wouldn’t be killed by any man or animal. He wanted people to worship him whereas his own son became a devotee of Lord Vishnu. Hiryankashipu got furious with this act of his son Prahlad and asked his sister Holika to kill him. However, Prahlad began praying to Lord Vishnu and Holika was burnt and dead. This is a day before Holi and thus Holika Dahan is celebrated marking the victory of good over evil.
See More: Holi Rangoli Designs Images Photos and Pictures
Holi Essay in Hindi | 10 Lines on Holi in Hindi
- होली हर साल मार्च के महीने में मनाया जाता है।
- होली हिन्दुओं के प्रमुख त्योहारों में से एक माना जाता है।
- होली को रंगों का त्योहार कहा जाता है।
- लोग एक दूसरे को रंग-गुलाल लगते हैं और सभी घरों में विभिन्न प्रकार के व्यंजन बनाये जाते हैं।
- रंगों की होली के एक दिन पहले लकड़ी, घास और गोबर के ढेर को रात में जलाकर होलिका दहन की पौराणिक कथा को याद करते हैं।
- पुराने ज़माने के लोग प्राकृतिक रंगों का प्रयोग करते थे। इसलिए होली के पर्व को प्रकृति से जुड़ा पर्व भी माना जाता है।
- आज के ज़माने में लोग केमिकल रंगों का प्रयोग करते हैं जिससे त्वचा को नुकसान पहुँचता हैं।
- इस पर्व के पौराणिक कथा से हमें यह पता चलता है की अच्छाई की हमेशा बुराई पर जीत होती है।
- सभी घरों में विभिन्न तरह के पकवान बनाये जाते हैं।
- होली सिर्फ हिन्दुओं ही नहीं बल्कि सभी समुदाय के लोगों द्वारा हर्ष और उल्लास के साथ मनाया जाता है।
Essay on Holi in English | Holi Per Nibandh
Holi Festival Speech in Hindi | होली त्यौहार पर भाषण
10 Lines on Holi in English for Children & Students | Holi Essay in English 10 Lines
- Holi is a festival of colors celebrated all over the country.
- It usually falls in the month of February or March.
- This colorful festival marks its entry in Spring Season.
- In general, we wear white clothes on this day.
- We play with vibrant colors, flowers, water, gulal, etc.
- People prepare delicious sweets and distribute them in the neighborhood.
- We play with Holi Colors using Pichkaris and Water Balloons.
- The Festival of colors begins with the burning of demoness Holika.
- We get word and burn it and then celebrate the festival by dancing and singing around it.
- It is the festival of victory that teaches good over evil.
- Holi is a prominent Hindu Festival that signifies joy and togetherness.
- Holi Date in Indian Calendar falls in the month of March the peak of the Spring Season.
- It is celebrated for 5 days and the 5th day is referred to as “Rang Panchami”
- As per Mythology, it is believed that Holika made attempts to burn Prahlad the son of Demon Hiryankshyap.
- There are also a few beliefs that Holi was begun by Radha and Krishna in Vrindavan.
- A night before we follow the ritual called Holika Dahan i.e. by burning woods and dry leaves, etc.
- We play at the festival with colors, gulal in the morning and evening times.
- People even sing folk songs and play instruments like dholak and kirtal.
- On this day, people eat delicious foods like gujiya, chips, halwa and even drink “Thandai”.
Short Speech on Holi in English | Holi Festival Speech Ideas for Students
Respected Principal, teachers, and my dear friends. Very good morning to all of you and I am here to present you a ‘Holi Speech’ in front of you as it is one of my favorite festivals. Holi is a festival of colors and we smear colors, flowers using pichkaris and water balloons. We even enjoy a variety of cuisines on the eve of Holi. One of the most important sweets for this festival is ‘gujiya’.
It is a festival celebrating the victory of good over evil. The main objective behind the festival is love and compassion for each other. We need to get rid of ill feelings towards each other and spread happiness.
A day before the festival Holi we celebrate Holika Dahan, a part of the Holi festival. This king had a son, Prahlad who was a devotee of Lord Vishnu. Prahlad’s devotion made his father angry and his father decided to kill him. He asked his sister, Holika, who was immune to fire, to sit in the fire with Prahlad in her lap.
Fortunately, Prahlad was blessed by God and didn’t get burnt but Holika was burnt to ashes. This led to the festival of Holi. Hence, just the day before the colors day, people in India, celebrate Holika Dahan. They collect wood and unnecessary things and put them on fire.
The story behind Holika Dahan inspires us and gives us the message that it is always better than winning over evil. With this message to remember, I wish you all a very happy and joyful Holi.
Also, Read: Happy Holi Essay Speech and 10 Lines Ideas in English for Students
FAQs on Happy Holi 2022
Holi is celebrated on 18th March 2022 this year.
Holi is a Hindu festival that celebrates spring, love and new life, togetherness.
3. What is Holi powder called?
Holi powder is called Gulal(Bengali) or Abhir(Odiya) a traditional name given to colored powders.
4. What food do you eat on Holi?
Some of the famous foods to eat at the Holi Festival are listed below
- Dahi Bhalle
- Puran Poli
- Badam Phirni
- Coconut Milk Murukku
- Bhang Pakora
Special drinks to drink at Holi Festival include Thandai, Paan Thandai, Almond Milk Thandai, Berry Kanji, Kanjioska,
Rang Rasia, LIIT Thandai.
We wish the knowledge shared on our page has shed some light on you regarding the History, Significance, Date, Puja Timings of Festival Holi. If you feel any queries are left unanswered do reach us via the comment box so that we can get back to you. Keep in touch to our site to avail latest updates on Happy Holi Images, Photos, Pictures, HD Background, Wall Papers, GIfs, Posters to Share as Status on Facebook, Whatsapp related information in no time.