The Importance Of Magnesium In The Body
A very noticeable symptom of magnesium deficiency is when you feel like eating a sweet, a cake or an ice-cream immediately after lunch or dinner.
Magnesium is an essential macromineral and the second most abundant element in our body. Mostly stored in the bones, this essential mineral helps regulate hundreds of chemical reactions throughout the body.
Major Functions Of Magnesium
- Acts as a co-factor in plenty of enzyme reactions, thus increasing the enzyme activity
- Production of ATP which helps in energy production
- Magnesium has an important role in formation of DNA and RNA
- Helps in the balance of other minerals in the body
Importance Of Magnesium
- Helps in the proper functioning of the nerves and muscles
- Maintains immunity
- Keeps the bones strong by increasing the absorption of calcium
- Keeps the heart healthy
- Regulates blood glucose levels
Sources Of Magnesium
a. Dark green leafy vegetables
e. Cashew nuts
i. Soy products
j. Apricots (dried)
As magnesium is an important mineral in the body, it has to be present in sufficient quantities, as any deviation from the normal values can cause mild to serious symptoms in the form of hyperexcitability, muscle weakness, irregular heartbeat, osteoporosis, insomnia, glucose intolerance, numbness, tingling, muscle cramps, seizures, loss of appetite, decreased levels of calcium and potassium and personality changes too.
How To Avoid A Lack Of Magnesium
- Limit intake of processed and sugar foods which contain artificial additives and preservatives
- Eat more probiotic enriched foods (dosa, curd, bread, idli)
- Include more green leafy vegetables in your daily diet
- Limit alcohol intake
- Consume magnesium supplements as advised by your physician
A very noticeable symptom of magnesium deficiency is when you feel like eating a sweet, a cake or an ice-cream immediately after lunch or dinner. Thus, it’s advised to get yourself checked without delay, as this could be dangerous.
Magnesium supplements along with B-complex vitamins can help the minerals to be absorbed faster by the body. However, sufficient protein and calcium intake is also necessary, for faster absorption of magnesium, Hence, try to add more dairy products and eggs or beans to your daily diet to stay healthy and fit!