Many moms who work in the kitchen have a dream of cooking food with freshly picked ingredients. But due to lack of time and lack of space, you can not able to do that. Right? But dont worry even though there is no space, you can able to grow some herbs like lemon grass, mint, rosemary, and many more.
Here, today in this article, we will see how to grow herbs in your kitchen without any soil which was clearly explained by an urban gardener Reshma Renjen.
Way To Grow 5 Different Herbs in Your Kitchen Without Any Soil Explained By Garden Specialist
Reshma Renjan is an urban gardener who specializes in gardening from Bokaro, Jharkhand. She has explained to grow 5 herbs that are used daily can be grown easily in the kitchen without any soil by using the hydroponic method.
Let us look into the step-by-step process of 5 herbs one by one.
- Mexican Mint
- Italian Basil
To grow these herbs in your garden it only requires some containers and water.
Mexican Mint is a kind of celery that is also called Indian borage. It has many useful medicinal properties and it can also be easily grown without much effort. Mainly it is used in tea to enhance its taste.
Here we will see a step-by-step process on how to grow Mexican mint without any soil.
- Firstly, take three of four cuttings of the plant and place them in a container by filling the container with water.
- As it grows dense very fast, you need to place that plant in a large container. Within 7 days of planting you will see the new roots.
- Within 10 days, it will develop totally, and you can use it in soups, stews, and many other dishes.
- Do not forget to change the water every alternate day for the best and fastest results.
Lemon grass is one of the essential herbs that you need in every kitchen and also it is very easy to grow. Have you bought lemon grass from the market and are interested in growing it easily at home? Then follow the below steps to grow in your kitchen without any soil.
- To grow lemon grass in your kitchen, take the 5 to 6 lemon strands, you can take as many as you like.
- And when you are taking those strands, their roots should also be intact with the strands.
- Place them in a glass or container based on the strands that you have taken fill them with full of water and place the strands with roots in them.
- Keep it on your kitchen countertop, where you will get little sunlight, or give it some sunlight every day and keep it aside.
- You will get new roots and sprouting within 15 days. Even if you have the garden you can place the lemongrass strands in the soil. The same steps that we used above can be followed.
When it comes to mint, it is a very wanted herb in every kitchen and also it is very easy ty to grow. Have a look at the below guidelines to follow for growing the mint easily at home without any soil. All you need is a container and water.
- Take three of four mint cutting from the markets which are included with roots.
- Take two containers, one is a big one and the other is a small one.
- Take a small one and place some holes on the top of the box and also remove the leaves on the bottom side for the mint cuttings.
- Then fill the other container with water and place the small box on it.
- After that, place the cuttings inside the small container, and that two box container in the ample sunlight.
- You will get the leaves within few days and also you will see new roots at the bottom of a small box.
When you make pizzas, pasta, and lasagnas, it is very important to add rosemary to it. Have a look at this step-by-step process to check on how to grow rosemary.
- Collect a six-inch cutting of rosemary from any garden or from the market.
- Remove the leaves if there is any in the lower section of the cutting take a container that was filled with water and place the cutting in it.
- Within 10 days, you can see the roots that have emerged and within 20-25 days you will see the new branches and leaves.
- Remember to change the water within a week.
Basil is another essential Italian herb that can be grown easily in any kitchen. Look into the step-by-step process to plant the basil in your garden. You can use this herb mainly in salads, bruschettas, and many more.
- It is grown exactly like mint leaves and you can see the steps in the above mint section.
- By taking two jars and cuttings you need to place the cuttings in the holes of the top jar.
- And leave it under ample sunlight.
- Finally, within 20-25 days you can cut the leaves and branches.
Tips To Follow To Grow Those 5 Plants in Water
Look into the simple steps to follow as a gardener is providing simple tips to grow above herbs very easily to get the best results.
- When you are growing those herbs in your kitchen, if you see any insect attacks, just dilute neem oil and spray it once a week.
- Change the water inside the containers very frequently like alternate days.
- Once the growth begins you can change the water once a week.
- You can use hydroponic fertilizers if you want faster growth than normal.
By following all the steps that we have seen above you can easily grow the plants in your kitchen and enjoy teh fresh ingredients that give good flavor to your dish and it will be very tasty. Still, if you want more such types of plants, you can check out Reshma’s YouTube channel.